View Full Version : HONDA CBR 150 or KAWASAKI KIPS 150..?

illyas2k
05-02-2009, 11:35 PM
hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum..
actually im planning to buy a bike, but i can't decide which bike should i buy.
3 month ago i've bought a scooter: yamaha nouvo s. this is the first time i ride.
but now, im going to trade-in my scooter and get another new bike.

here is the problem, since i never ride a 2 stroke before, i wonder the KR150 fuel consumption will be dreadful or just same as my scooter..? my scooter can go 35km/liter (always ride at 90~110km/hour). and how about the maintanance cost?

since the 4stroke only have to take care 4t engine oil and change it every 2000km. how about the 2 stroke? do i have to fill it every 1000km? and the 2 stroke engine always jam izzit? <-- i hear this from the shop dealer, but don't know true or not..

actually there is 2 option for me now, either HONDA CBR 150 or KAWASAKI KIPS 150.. but it is difficult to make decision. CBR150 is 4 stroke so save on fuel, but it's a bit small for me.

Can anyone give me some advice? since i'm not very familiar with motorcycle..

the 3 factor i consider:
a) maintanance (regular service cost like 2t etc, engine durable, fuel consumption...)
b) the exterior (i mean the "look", since im 24 years old, of cause i want some good looking bike.. :cheeky:)
c) performance (i hear CBR only can reach 120km+ if riding with passanger behind..???)

hope you guys can give me some advice, i dont want to make second mistake.. thanks~ :cheers:

RYANS
05-02-2009, 11:58 PM
u can gib KR a try.. if stock condition the FC can go abt 240km-280km per tank.
top speed sure can go 180 with pillion wit some minor mods.

maintance i dun tink is not a problem.. xcept always use the best 2T u can afford... Motul is a good oil for 2stroke..

Manfred003
06-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Well if u wan speed and performance , kawa will definately giv it to u ...
maintain ???
well 2t can last abt 2-3 weeks ($5-$23)
petrol full tank is abt $18 v power , can last me 3 days ( i stay at yishun , go work at changi den back to jurong (gf) den back to yishun again ) ( 100-140 )
spark plug is abt 20 for gd plugs which can last u abt 3 months
engine oil i use 300v mutol $26 , 3000km or 1 month ( which ever comes first )

if u wan to save petrol den cbr will giv u dat definately ,
u wan speed kawa will giv u...
u wan monthly maintainence cheep , cbr cheeper ...
price diff , fbb is e latest plate for kawa but cbr got new models

if n wan killer looks , speed in da middle of kawa n cbr den get yzf135 yahama ^^

illyas2k
06-02-2009, 01:16 PM
save petrol --> cbr 150
performance --> krr 150
look --> krr 150
maintancance --> krr 150

its hard for me to decide, im planning to use this bike for long term daily transport. i wonder is that krr 150 is good for daily transport? cuz the fc quite higher compare to cbr 150, somemore need to fill 2t often.

i found the fuel consumption post there, krr 30km/l (normal driving)...

my heart go for krr 150, but my wallet go for cbr 150.. =..="
help.. i really don't want end up with regret.. is that fc really big differen between cbr and krr? i mean 2t oil+fc and 4t oil+fc... did it cost me 50% more fuel/oil expanse if i take KRR than CBR?

im struggle for this 2 weeks already..
ps. i m stay in malaysia.

Manfred003
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=illyas2k;5047003]save petrol --> cbr 150
performance --> krr 150
look --> krr 150
maintancance --> krr 150 cbr cheeper

p.s if yr in malaysia , petrol will b cheeper ...
if u like speed , kr will have a better pick up but it also depends on yr pocket too
don spend on something if yr pocket don allow u to eat , spend time wth yr gal or worse still ... be in dept:dozed::dozed:

illyas2k
06-02-2009, 03:11 PM
p.s if yr in malaysia , petrol will b cheeper ...
if u like speed , kr will have a better pick up but it also depends on yr pocket too
don spend on something if yr pocket don allow u to eat , spend time wth yr gal or worse still ... be in dept:dozed::dozed:

ya, i understand. dont worry, im not going to burn a hole on my pocket for a bike..
it's just... trying to find some balance point. i don't know is it worth or not for me to take a 2 stroke bike now since 2 stroke market are fade out. (correct me if im wrong..), or should i choose a 4 stroke bike for less headache on regular maintanance.

i wanna to ride it for couple years (3~5 years), so i might consider to get some advice from you guys.

how about the power of CBR, good at top speed? can go into 160km/h? because i'm always ride in highway. actually pick up is not really important to me..

can i know how many km per litre for both bike? some said KRR 20km/l, some said KRR 30km/l. and how bout CBR? 35KM/l?

currently my scooter fc is 35km/l..

Stardust83
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
CBR 150 ? Outlook not very good...U did mention that u wan a good looking bike. KRR or Sp will be good... Aprilia RS125 even better. :D

But being a 2 stroke bike sure the FC is higher than the CBR150 de. Pros and Cons bro...But dun tink the CBR150 can hit a speed of 160km/hr.

Problematic ? All depends on the previous owner de. :thumb:

DUsGary
06-02-2009, 04:12 PM
if u gonna stay for long on this coming bike.
a yzf125 would be good. looks like R1/R6 and its a 4stroker (:
just that the machine price is way more.
but pay more @ machine save more later
or save @ machine and pay for maintenance

just my 2cents tot.

Kenneth.C
06-02-2009, 04:40 PM
CBR 150 ? Outlook not very good...U did mention that u wan a good looking bike. KRR or Sp will be good... Aprilia RS125 even better. :D

But being a 2 stroke bike sure the FC is higher than the CBR150 de. Pros and Cons bro...But dun tink the CBR150 can hit a speed of 160km/hr.

can hit 160km/h. need to bend and hug the tank.

CBR150 is basically a low maintainence and good FC bike. good for commuting in singapore daily.

hachi
06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
if u gonna stay for long on this coming bike.
a yzf125 would be good. looks like R1/R6 and its a 4stroker (:
just that the machine price is way more.
but pay more @ machine save more later
or save @ machine and pay for maintenance

just my 2cents tot.

This bike I feel not worth that have the look but dont have the substance.....
Top speed 130kph or so....
No offense.....If you can afford this price, might as well wait for 2 more years and get the real thing.....Dont bother those that mimic the bigger one and COST the same....
Want to speed get a cheap bike for a year....Then upgrade to the world of unlimited.....

If you are going to spend this kinda of money get a new KRR or the latest RS125...I am sure both wont disappoint you.....

Stardust83
06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
This bike I feel not worth that have the look but dont have the substance.....
Top speed 130kph or so....
No offense.....If you can afford this price, might as well wait for 2 more years and get the real thing.....Dont bother those that mimic the bigger one and COST the same....
Want to speed get a cheap bike for a year....Then upgrade to the world of unlimited.....

If you are going to spend this kinda of money get a new KRR or the latest RS125...I am sure both wont disappoint you.....

yupz...the latest RS125 is a head turner ! :thumb:

ongsujie
06-02-2009, 09:50 PM
ask urself wat u want most? if performance definately KRR,if u say pick up not important 4 u,then y u sell ur scooter?(IMO scooter is a good comuter)
FC i tink not a problem,no big diff between them,my previous KRR can do28-30km/l.somemore u stay in JB.for 2T my KRR can last a few weeks(dunno others how),lagi not a prob compare to petrol! :angel:

Constructicon
06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Ya...as hachi mentioned, if you want power, get a bigger bike.
We all came from 2B,2A,2, so i guess we know what we are talking about. :)

I remember riding my 150 NSR years back up the Mt faber with a pillion....man was it huffing and puffing...

I would say get something like the good, ol Phamtom or a 4 stroke commuter. Ride it for a few years, then upgrade to the all time fav Super 4 or a Cls 2 bike.
Maybe I got a crappy NSR last time, but I remember going back to the bike shop every now and then. The feeling sux and the wallet is a goner.

illyas2k
07-02-2009, 02:40 AM
actually im driving a car before, i bought my scooter just thought i'll using it only for short distance (go somewhere nearby not more than 10km distance..).

after i ride on the scooter, i find out i more rely on scooter than my car, almost 3 week i didn't touch my car key.. i totally fall in love for the feel of riding!!!

ya, for the better looking ofcuz KRR has attract me, and performance too.
but for easy maintance (just change 4t and engine durable), CBR.. just the look not very good, too slim if look from the front.
that's why i can't make decision..

today i saw 1 KRR passing by, and i listen the sound like RXZ..? is that normal sound for 2 stroke bike? i wonder if i take KR, then my family or friends will start calling me "Mat rempit" or not... i dont want become "Mat rempit"...

FULL-FACE HELMET + JACKET and GLOVE look nice if riding a KRR? or you guys see anyone riding CBR with this?

PS. i'm stay in KL, not JB. :)
when the yzf125 will come out in malaysia market? because i ask the shop and they never hear this before.. if the price are higher than KRR or CBR, i think i wont consider that as an option.

Aiden_89
07-02-2009, 03:40 AM
I own a CBR150.. And i love it.. More for transport compared to a kips (IMO).. Yes it lacks power but the comfortability is there.. The suspensions setting for a cbr is softer compared to a kips... But ya la, it is really an underpowered bike.. The problem with the cbr is it has too many revs, (11-13k[redline]).. There is no lower rev torque, but that is a good thing for FC also(around 40 [+/-4] km per litre)... Give and take (:D), best of luck~

hachi
07-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Do note....Even Y125 do looked like a R6...The technologies behind the thing definitely sound ancient compare to the real thing....
Junk metal delta box chassis....
Junk metal swing arm....
junk brakes
junk suspension
I have seen the real thing...It is as cheap as it looked whether switch gears,meter,rims what ever on the bike....The quality just wasnt there....

generally one have to look at various aspects of the bike....let's look at the depreciating point of view....If the fake depreciate as much as the real thing....Why bother it....

Remember, the bigger the bike, the higher is its depreciation rate. but in this case it may not be the case....

FC wise if you are talking about performance, you cant have the best of both world.

If you are comparing RS125, then it is a different story.......
technologies wise..I would say out of this world for small bikes......
Radial brakes,alloy swing arm and chassis,adjustable suspension, wickedly looks and etc....Definitely would more worth than 10k new....

DUsGary
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Do note....Even Y125 do looked like a R6...The technologies behind the thing definitely sound ancient compare to the real thing....
Junk metal delta box chassis....
Junk metal swing arm....
junk brakes
junk suspension
I have seen the real thing...It is as cheap as it looked whether switch gears,meter,rims what ever on the bike....The quality just wasnt there....

generally one have to look at various aspects of the bike....let's look at the depreciating point of view....If the fake depreciate as much as the real thing....Why bother it....

Remember, the bigger the bike, the higher is its depreciation rate. but in this case it may not be the case....

FC wise if you are talking about performance, you cant have the best of both world.

If you are comparing RS125, then it is a different story.......
technologies wise..I would say out of this world for small bikes......
Radial brakes,alloy swing arm and chassis,adjustable suspension, wickedly looks and etc....Definitely would more worth than 10k new....

yeah, RS125 my friend just got a new machine from BikePerformance/PerformanceBike (always mixed up the name) @ 14++K OTR .his 22 years old, P-plate. rather costly ):

giggs786
07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Theres a saying..kawa is a man's bike but cbr 150 is a ladies' bike..so dun think 2 much juz go 4 it..

illyas2k
09-02-2009, 02:13 AM
thanks a lot guys~ i know what i want now.
i think i will choose the KRR 150~ if i choose 4 stroke cbr150, i rather stay with my 3 month old scooter now.. what for i sell my scooter for a little bit increase of performance. and the look never satisfy me..

so, i think i better just get the KRR150. :)

illyas2k
09-02-2009, 02:15 AM
i heard rumors said the R15 will coming into malaysia market on this april, what you guys think?

squishyworm
11-02-2009, 02:22 PM
so where are you gonna get it at?

illyas2k
11-02-2009, 11:47 PM
not sure yet.. why?

actually just let my father scold today, because the scooter just bought not more than 3 month and wanna sell it now.. i think better change my plan, maybe wait for another few month then. :(

Blahhh
15-02-2009, 09:22 AM
krr is a cheap bike to maintain, don't listen to ppl telling you 2 strokers are expensive to maintain. Its just slightly more expensive then a 2b 4 stroker because u have 2T and the extra insurance. But at the end of the day, its definitely cheaper then keeping a class 2a/2 bike.

hachi
15-02-2009, 10:50 AM
i heard rumors said the R15 will coming into malaysia market on this april, what you guys think?

You want more power...I would stop looking at 2b 4 stroke bikes.....
If the bike comes from your own money...Then I guess is ok.....
If all from your parents...Then be prudent and go for higher class for more power....

R15 is just a 150cc 4T at the most gives you 17-20bhp.....No point getting another bike for a 1-2bhp incremental....I can assure u....2 weeks later you wont feel anything.....

Nothing can replace cubic centimeter....

KeraKing
15-02-2009, 01:37 PM
bro if u live in kl u better get the kawa
dun worry its not mat rempit bike.
i heard the police now rides kr?
maintanance not so bad,
just use atleast semi-synthetic 2t,
and service the engine once a year or less and change the piston rings when needed.

illyas2k
17-02-2009, 03:32 AM
im not sure the polis in kl riding kr or not, haven't meet one yet...

krr.. i'm planning to get it soon, maybe few more month...?!
i hav to settle my dad 1st, becuz most people they think riding a bike is dangerous... it's true...
but its also fun and freedom while riding... :p
thank for the info from u guys.. really appreciate it. :)

_Na
17-02-2009, 08:32 AM
hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum..
actually im planning to buy a bike, but i can't decide which bike should i buy.
3 month ago i've bought a scooter: yamaha nouvo s. this is the first time i ride.
but now, im going to trade-in my scooter and get another new bike.

here is the problem, since i never ride a 2 stroke before, i wonder the KR150 fuel consumption will be dreadful or just same as my scooter..? my scooter can go 35km/liter (always ride at 90~110km/hour). and how about the maintanance cost?

since the 4stroke only have to take care 4t engine oil and change it every 2000km. how about the 2 stroke? do i have to fill it every 1000km? and the 2 stroke engine always jam izzit? <-- i hear this from the shop dealer, but don't know true or not..

actually there is 2 option for me now, either HONDA CBR 150 or KAWASAKI KIPS 150.. but it is difficult to make decision. CBR150 is 4 stroke so save on fuel, but it's a bit small for me.

Can anyone give me some advice? since i'm not very familiar with motorcycle..

the 3 factor i consider:
a) maintanance (regular service cost like 2t etc, engine durable, fuel consumption...)
b) the exterior (i mean the "look", since im 24 years old, of cause i want some good looking bike.. :cheeky:)
c) performance (i hear CBR only can reach 120km+ if riding with passanger behind..???)

hope you guys can give me some advice, i dont want to make second mistake.. thanks~ :cheers:

HIHI, i'm new here.. maybe inexperience but u were toking abt krr n i've been riding like a couple of mths.. hope this is not to late for u to give it a though afterall u posted this on the 02 of feb 2009... now is like duno wad date le...
u're toking abt maintanance, look n performance...

1) As for maintanance, i do like EO every 1000 km mileage... best condition for ur gearbox everything..its the same la, if u use lousy EO den change frequently if u use better ones den u can change it really once in awhile. 2T use better grades 1 oso to protect the engine itself...(better meaning like Mobil Gold, some malaysia brands, some which are good. Sprockets 1 yr 1 time.. tyres best half a yr change, cuz there is a reason... ^^)

2) Looks.. I personally thinks tat best look is KRR... if u're comparing wif the new hondas, i dun think it even look like sport bike looks more like those which aunties ride to market those kind in china.. LOL(sry didn't mean to upset those who are riding tat;) TZM is not in ur thoughs anyway so nvm...

3) Performance nv really tried, but the info i've got from Ex ex ex KRR riders n mechanics.... KRR is the king of 2B... not really TZM... but there is a really fast CBR 150 old, and only 1 ;p as for those cagiva mito n the rs-125 forgot the brand.. LOL... i dun think they are really good, heavy..

last but not lest... if u wanna go johor fix bike jio me... i sure go in but hopefully i'm still like now.. relaxe all day long..;p hope i dun find work soon enuff for u to look for me ^^

_Na
17-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah, dun really matter but if u wanna know more abt krr maybe u can go the link for Krrs?? got 1 Forumer which is in the ANG MO KIO threat in chatterbox... which is call sparks or smth... he post smth of himself.. u can go see it... come to AMK threat wor.. see u there illyas2k

llf1213
17-02-2009, 09:13 AM
This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling http://www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.

illyas2k
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
i just book my krr today, maybe this saturday can get it. :)
im so happy right now, can't wait to ride it asaqp.. haha..

but im still new in bike's world, in my whole life i never ride any bike with gears... only the scooter for few month... and this time, its two stroke. two stroke freaking me out..

is there any advice for me when i pick up this bike..? like.. the tires hav to change or not? or how to take care the engine..? i mean, i read from a hongkong biker website, they mentioned about two stroke engine are not durable, especially when u're on highway for too long, then suddenly traffic jam on front, if you don't know how to slow down the bike, it will burn the engine.. something like this, im not understand.. can explain to me? :)

qeith
12-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Just get a 2nd hand Kawa, then upgrade to a better bike in 2 years time. Don't need to think so much! Just save the money now.

xXxRatedxXx
12-04-2009, 12:42 AM
I like the CBR very much... almost problem free compared to 2 strokers... engine vibration also not so strong...

Cpt.ZR
12-04-2009, 01:03 AM

can hit 160km/h. need to bend and hug the tank.

CBR150 is basically a low maintainence and good FC bike. good for commuting in singapore daily.

if u wanna do it for commuting only. use the cbr.

if u wanna fast and furious, and pure great 2t fun.

KR.

cbr V hard to hit 160 la. unless got mod.

krr just take mod air box, pump tyre hard. 160 everyday also can hit.

hachi
12-04-2009, 01:21 AM
How about road holding fro both bikes???
If the bike are shaking itself to death at 120kph no point pushing it to 180kph where the rider had lost confidence below that speed...

In most cases 2B bikes are really low in maintenance except some Italian stallions...Even 2 stokers. I believe KRR should suit you better.
But after riding many small bikes I found that one point in 2B bikes that is left much to desired is the braking....

Small diameter forks fleck upon heavy braking and the bike just wouldnt run straight under heavy braking...

illyas2k
12-04-2009, 02:47 AM
thanks guys.. i get my kawa already..
by the way, is there anything i shall take care of..? i read some post that they are saying the kawa stock tires are dangerous, i asked the shop people today, he told me this tires dont hav to change, and stable especially raining day????? i asked him what brand is this stock tires, he said IRC.... so.. is that necessary to change the tires for safety reason..?
you know, always raining here recently, and i still learning how to ride this bike... i never play clutch bike before.. =..="
but its very difficult for me to start the bike at the morning or even on the raining afternoon, i kick start more than 8 times only can get it started. i wonder how do you guys start it on the morning or raining day..?
1 things im still not sure, that guy recommend me use SHELL SX for this bike..? which 2t you guys use..? im thinking should i get Mobil 2t or Castrol 2t, i saw the price of Castrol 2t quite attractive.

Sorry im still learning on this, so got alot of question... :)

queirtus
12-04-2009, 07:33 AM
IRC tyres have been said to be worst in wet conditons but since ur tyres are new i would advice you to stick to the tyres and ride safely in wet conditions.

then when its time to change tyres change to bridgestone battlax or dunlop tyres in my opinion

regarding 2T,i would say stick to the 2T your kawa is using right now,but i would recommend you to change to Castrol R2 or Motul 2T as these 2 are known to be the best 2T for 2 strokers at an affordable prices.

regarding the hard to start you could probably try changing the spark plug and learn how to kickstart the bike the proper way but slowly bro you will get the hang of starting it in less than 5 kicks.

hope that helps.

illyas2k
14-04-2009, 10:26 AM
i totally agree about the tires, my front tire get slipped when i was slightly turning right on the highway on 80kmh...
but it is raining and the highway got something like metal gap (i dunno what it called, but there is like a huge piece of iron plate to connect the gap or highway... sorry for confusing...)
lucky i didnt fall..

by the way, in this forum is there any post i can learn more about this kawasaki krr..? becuz here is Bike Specs and Reviews section, i thought might not suitable to ask silly question.. :)

by the way, i dunno what 2t the shop fill up for me. so i might think about the "CASTROL POWER 1 2t", i cant found "CASTROL R2" here.. do i hav to adjust the 2t, becuz i scare the engine will not enough 2t when im riding at high rpm.. i get some info from my frenz last time, he said even sudden slow down or break from high rpm also will cause the engine jam.. but i dont really understand what he said, and he is not here now.

zyrofillica
14-04-2009, 11:06 AM
anyway, hows the motorbike license system in malaysia like? Any classes? Like singapore have to take 3 times. <200cc, <400cc, >400cc (unrestricted)

xXxRatedxXx
14-04-2009, 11:38 AM
I wish singapore will upgrade 2B license to 250cc

Then i can ride all these... http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/12038490/kawasaki-ninja-zx-250-r.jpg
Kawa Ninja 250

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8934/twister2006kz8.gif

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/catalogs/94SPfullcover.jpg

deckard
14-04-2009, 12:22 PM
later they convert to the Japanese standard

equal and under 125cc
equal and less than 400cc
above 400cc.

then we all jialat~! :(

habib2000
14-04-2009, 12:44 PM
I wish singapore will upgrade 2B license to 250cc

Then i can ride all these... http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p119/12038490/kawasaki-ninja-zx-250-r.jpg
Kawa Ninja 250

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8934/twister2006kz8.gif

http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/nsr/catalogs/94SPfullcover.jpg

I wish that too......... but it will never comelah . :cry:

illyas2k
14-04-2009, 05:06 PM
in malaysia the license system count like:
B2: <250cc
B1: <500cc
B : >500cc

d_sinuza
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
regarding the 2T engine oil, whats the difference actually?

between SHELL VSX/SHELL SX/MOTUL 2T/RACING GOLD 2T ??

:cheeky:

barefoot
03-05-2009, 08:42 PM
later they convert to the Japanese standard

equal and under 125cc
equal and less than 400cc
above 400cc.

then we all jialat~! :(

i think that will be good

tebuonme
23-01-2010, 10:44 AM
KRR is faster then SP on straight road due to KRR is lighter but you wanna play corner maybe SP is better.

_Jason Harding
http://www.katechengines.com/street_performance/sig10.jpg
JasonHarding@katechengines.com (http://nhakhoanhantam.com)
WATCH KATECH VIDEOS ON OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL (http://www.youtube.com/katechperformance)