has no status.
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.

I feel in this modern nation we live in, we still face discrimination against motorcycles/cyclists.

I'd like to cite the following examples:-

1) when buy personal accident insurance from NTUC, if we declare we are motorcyclists, a 10% additional premiun will be charged,

2) when we go petrol station, nobody help to pump, petrol station don't wash bikes, although we are ready to pay,

3) some shopping centres totally ban parking for bikes,

4) both Sentosa and PSA port ban bikes totally,

5) "Motorcycles and slower traffic, keep left" signs along E'ways,

6) Media portrays m'cyclists as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic,

7) Police often classifed bike accidents as "loss of control", often fail to understand or find out why he out of control.

Your opinions, please.
    People ask me, "Why ride bike?" I ask them back :"Why drive car?"

ThePole
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add 2 more points:

1. Other road users feels that they have every right to ask us to give way. May even treat us invisible. I was riding in the middle of the 2nd lane on PIE, a car honk me to move left so he can pass me. Aren't they suppose to do something call "overtaking"? If buses see bikes coming, they heck care just turn out.

2. Shopping mall "allows" illegal parking for bikes. The parking of bikes in Suntec yesterday was super pathetic.

Nicholai
    wants to conquer the world!
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePole View Post
    Add 2 more points:

1. Other road users feels that they have every right to ask us to give way. May even treat us invisible. I was riding in the middle of the 2nd lane on PIE, a car honk me to move left so he can pass me. Aren't they suppose to do something call "overtaking"? If buses see bikes coming, they heck care just turn out.

2. Shopping mall "allows" illegal parking for bikes. The parking of bikes in Suntec yesterday was super pathetic.
    Agree with you of the "discrimination" but I need to comment on point 2, maybe it is because that most shopping malls that allow motorcycle to use their parking facilities do not charge the motorcyclists for parking, thus, the "pathetic-ness" of the motorcycle lots. At the same time, there are shopping malls that provide motorcycles with free parking but with better lots. It is a win-win situation for riders, unless of course no parking for motorcycles at all like those in Orchard Road, which I do not prefer to patronize for some other reasons. Maybe, the reason you encountered the "pathetic-ness" at Suntec City yesterday was because they had the PC Show on. Still, discrimination of any 2-wheelers live on in this island, no doubt about that.

guanjie
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keynes View Post
    Hi.

I feel in this modern nation we live in, we still face discrimination against motorcycles/cyclists.

I'd like to cite the following examples:-

1) when buy personal accident insurance from NTUC, if we declare we are motorcyclists, a 10% additional premiun will be charged,

2) when we go petrol station, nobody help to pump, petrol station don't wash bikes, although we are ready to pay,

4) both Sentosa and PSA port ban bikes totally,

7) Police often classifed bike accidents as "loss of control", often fail to understand or find out why he out of control.

Your opinions, please.
    actually this is partially untrue.. some will wash it for u if u ask.. and i believe its quite redundant to pump petrol for bikes cos a its a matter of a few litres.

this is infuriating

160207 - 170407: Honda NSR SP150
    230507 - 140807: Aprilia RS125 '99
    300712 - 290113: Ducati Monster 400 '02
    050213 - 190413: Honda CBR 400RR '96

090413 - Present: BMW 316i '12

Why fear the silence when it's already so noisy - Gj

Speedpass
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSA ban bikes for a reason . I thinks its due to the movements of the containers . Wat if the cranes were to drop the containers n a bike happen to pass by ?
    GIVI Touring windscreen for FZ1 2006 onwards for sale - $90

thatone1
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then sentosa will say it bans bikes for safety reason too..

i would also like to try riding in sentosa.. it's a superb racetrack with all the curves there.

mi5trooper
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if a bike and a bicyle involve in an accident. (let presume it is the bicyle who are the rackless. both bike e brake and and bicyle guy fall down becos of this e braking). who do u think it is going to be pin down if it involve in tp? (let presume again that the fall of the bicyle guy is self fall down and he didn't really ram into you or etc). ya. that's ride. the moto bike person are mostlike the one going to be awarded with demerit and fine (moto bike are the one with an engine, thus the moto bike is most likely the one to be in the wrong).

Do you feel unfair? i presume u do.

Now let put this case in to a car and a moto bike? the car will most likely be pin as the wrong party. do you feel unfair? I presume u do too.

The moral of this story is, our rules and law are make. however, if the enforcer didn't really put the whole heart to learn about the true, (this stagement is base on if only), unjust may appear.

gnayed
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mi5trooper View Post
    Now let put this case in to a car and a moto bike? the car will most likely be pin as the wrong party. do you feel unfair? I presume u do too.

The moral of this story is, our rules and law are make. however, if the enforcer didn't really put the whole heart to learn about the true, (this stagement is base on if only), unjust may appear.
    I beg to differ. Usually when a motorcycle and motor-car get involved in an ambiguous accident, the rider is usually the one perceived to be the cause of accident due to personal negligence and technical deficiency. Nothing to do with the driver. This is nothing but a little of discrimination.

roseonfire
    sad
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Number 2. usually wen i go petrol kiosk.. when i struggle with d stuff.. they offer to help me pump but i politely say no thanks.. So they do help motorcyclists.. its just dat usually guys show dat kinda face that they noe everything so the pump attendants dun bother to help. If u look helpless, they will help.

Number 3. Maybe d carpark aredi is small n cant afford to have for bikes..

Number 5. Its for our own safety.. but anyway most of us dun follow it.. so why blame others? If only we all keep left.. not much of bike accidents will take place.

Number 6. Its true wat. Bikes.. esp big bikes.. weave in and out at such high speeds.. it looks cool but wen accidents occur its not so cool.. best place to practice ur skills is at track.. not on sg roads.

Number 7. Its the most common reason.. Coz we r alwys going so fast.. and ofcoz wen emergency occurs we cant stop on time or we get knocked down.. so out of control =)

omnislash
    is Cloud Strife's ultimate Limit Break.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thatone1 View Post

i would also like to try riding in sentosa.. it's a superb racetrack with all the curves there.
    Erm.... Maybe thats one of the reasons why we are discriminated...

Biting on the fray of my hair, I muse upon the way to find the oasis of evermore beyond the vertical horizon, I shall join the windupdeads in owl city, neither my safetysuit nor my red jumpsuit apparatus can save me, cuz I mistook a death cab for cutie in plain white T's...

Nicholai
    wants to conquer the world!
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladyrider View Post
    Number 2. usually wen i go petrol kiosk.. when i struggle with d stuff.. they offer to help me pump but i politely say no thanks.. So they do help motorcyclists.. its just dat usually guys show dat kinda face that they noe everything so the pump attendants dun bother to help. If u look helpless, they will help.

Number 5. Its for our own safety.. but anyway most of us dun follow it.. so why blame others? If only we all keep left.. not much of bike accidents will take place.

Number 6. Its true wat. Bikes.. esp big bikes.. weave in and out at such high speeds.. it looks cool but wen accidents occur its not so cool.. best place to practice ur skills is at track.. not on sg roads.

Number 7. Its the most common reason.. Coz we r alwys going so fast.. and ofcoz wen emergency occurs we cant stop on time or we get knocked down.. so out of control =)
    Agreed and to add on, riders are literally performing "circus" act just by riding on the bike (ie. balancing on 2 wheels!!) ... they are trying to go against the law of nature through physics...

Arcfire
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to disagree on these 2 points. Why is it that motorcycles have to keep left? Is it because we are slow? I don't think so. Motorcycles nowadays are as fast if not faster than some sedans. Then is keeping left always the safest? I doubt so either. On the expressways, left lanes are taken up by lorries, container trucks and other humongous vehicles. Following behind these vehicles are even more dangerous than riding with a blindfold on. Furthermore, vehicles from filter lanes entering the expressways more often than not are also hazards.

Next point about control, do cars not lose control as well? even cars lose control. Remember the countless cars embedded in trees, the patrol car that rammed the hbd pillar? When is losing control really losing control? Its not so easy to determine the cause of losing control. And in most general situations, the rider is not often than not the one to bear the black wok.

Jun 2002 - May 2003 ~ NSR150SP
    May2003 - Dec 2006 ~ GSXR400RR
    Oct 2006 - Present ~ Burgman AN400K3

ImPeRzA
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedpass View Post
    PSA ban bikes for a reason . I thinks its due to the movements of the containers . Wat if the cranes were to drop the containers n a bike happen to pass by ?

And cars? i believe they will be flatten too ya?
    2006-2007 - Honda Nsr sp FS 282*R ( Sold)
    2007-2013 - Honda cbr 400 FM 990*R (Scrapped)
    2011- Current - Suzuki Swift 1.5M

boofeng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is the only real problem, i think.

is it the fault of the rider or the driver, if the driver forces the bike into a "loss of control" situation, e.g. bike needs to evade or brake hard to avoid cars? and if you think this does not happen often, you need to look at accident studies from overseas (because singapore doesn't seem to have published any, and if they do they neglect this aspect).

is it the fault of the rider or the road builder, if road builders place bumps and metal covers in the centre of the lane so that it doesn't obstruct 4 wheeled vehicles, but is right under the biker's path? this is especially bad if the bumps are in corners, where bikes are even more at risk of losing control. do you know in japan they lay down super grippy material along some stretches of road? why can't we just smoothen our roads, or over-lay our metal covers with grippy material?

i think in these cases there is no absolute 100% fault... so simplifying bike accidents to "loss of control" without seeing HOW it happens, is real discrimination.

as for the other points:

1. of course they have to increase your premium if you do risky things. whether 10% is fair or not i don't know (seems rather high and arbitrary), but in general i accept that motorcyclists are at greater risk of accident/death.

2. yes this is true. but i think it's fair enough: you only provide perks to your bigger customers.

3. this isn't discrimination? maybe they're just sending a signal to bikers not to patronise their shops? if you don't like the parking situation don't buy things from them!

4. not sure about this...

5. i think everyone who's on the road, including the police, (except newbies) knows it's no longer valid. i do wish they would change the roadsigns sooner.

6. yes this is quite sad. is it discrimination... yes of a sort. is it serious? in the long run, yes i think. but not much can be done about this. it's not easy to change people's beliefs.

aiya4
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the local authorities know many other drivers who usually travel lane 1 or 2 are very the goondoo. Dunno how to drive one. So they ask bikers to try to keep left lane to protect themselves against these drivers. Let the other goondoo drivers bang against each other, dun let the clever bikers bang against these goondoo drivers or let them have a chance to bang the bikers. So actually the authorities are taking care of bikers instead of discriminating against. you ppl think too much.... ppl wanna protect you, you say they discriminate you. Parents care about you too much, you say over protective. When you get into trouble, parents are first to help you. so be grateful la...

you still wanna travel on lane 1 and 2, up to you, authorities never stop you or enforce the law to fine you when you travel lane 1 or 2. so at your own risks la.

regarding loss of control, you can really sue the othe party (road builders, construction, other drivers) for all their fortune if you have a valid case. No joke. You can do it. That is provided do you really want to do it. You can make things happen, if you put your heart and mind into it.

The[J]Man
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe they ban motorcyclist because there's motorcyclist around with a mentality like your's.
    All of us has a price.....If not today, maybe tomorrow.

To be seen : Stand up

To be heard : Speak up

To be appreciated : Shut da F*CK up

Arcfire
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aiya4 View Post
    the local authorities know many other drivers who usually travel lane 1 or 2 are very the goondoo. Dunno how to drive one. So they ask bikers to try to keep left lane to protect themselves against these drivers. Let the other goondoo drivers bang against each other, dun let the clever bikers bang against these goondoo drivers or let them have a chance to bang the bikers. So actually the authorities are taking care of bikers instead of discriminating against. you ppl think too much.... ppl wanna protect you, you say they discriminate you. Parents care about you too much, you say over protective. When you get into trouble, parents are first to help you. so be grateful la...

you still wanna travel on lane 1 and 2, up to you, authorities never stop you or enforce the law to fine you when you travel lane 1 or 2. so at your own risks la.

regarding loss of control, you can really sue the othe party (road builders, construction, other drivers) for all their fortune if you have a valid case. No joke. You can do it. That is provided do you really want to do it. You can make things happen, if you put your heart and mind into it.
    I don't know which is worse, being hit by a goondoo driver in a camry or a goondoo driver in a sand/container truck.....

This is not the US where you can sue anyone for anything. If you can sue Phillip Morris here for getting cancer because you have been smoking Marlboros since 5, then anything is possible. But over here you'll get your case thrown out.
    Last thing is, even if you want to, you need the moolah.....

spaiduhz
    is feeling rather meh
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guanjie View Post
    actually this is partially untrue.. some will wash it for u if u ask.. and i believe its quite redundant to pump petrol for bikes cos a its a matter of a few litres.
    There was this one time i was filling up in JB. this malay dude was remarking...

(translated) "This guy... is he filling up a motorcycle or a car?!"

Large capacity tanks for the win.
    Bajaj Pulsar 180 - UG3 (2007 - )
    Suzuki GSXR-400 (2008 - 2009)
    Piaggio Vespa GT 200L (2009 - 2011)
    Yamaha YBX 125 (2010 - )
    Yamaha FZ S1 '05 (2011 - )

jamesgoh13
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say, its all pple mindset.

1. Petrol kiosk wana gain more profit therefore provide better services for cars. If we bikers can do it ourselves, wad for let others do it for u? Unlike those lazy bunch of drivers who need to use that service? When poor job was doned, den dey make a fuss out of it...Typical Singaporean Driver.

2. Keeping in the left lane doesn't mean it is safe all the time. Having a big vehicle blocking in front of u, any last min obstacles, u wun be able to hav the time for u to react. If ur speed is within the limits & u r not the one hogging up the road den there's no need to keep ourselves in the left.

3. In sg roads, I believe we riders shud hav the mindset of how to protect ourselves & prevent frm getting an accident. Cuz we all knw bikers will be in the losing end due to bike crashed, injuries all over or even death no doubt in theory or rules or laws u r rite. Therefore i would encourage safe riding for all.

All in all in singapore, all sorts of pple are around. Be it reckless riders/drivers, inconsiderate riders/drivers...All this bores down to the attitude of individuals.

"Life is bored enough, juz follow the feel & enjoy the life..." Cheers!

compfused
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy to say..Its because you're a girl..Double standards exist..Imagine a guy lookin helpless..What do you think the 1st thing that comes to the attendant's mind? Think on both sides..What may be good for female may not be good for males to follow..And vice versa..

Maybe..

You think so? If all bikes and all bigger/long vehichles keep left..What will happen to the flow of traffic? More tailgatin..

I'm gonna assume you're sayin this coz you ride a small bike? Have you been ridin? No offence but Even the kups weave in and out..Its how they ride..Doesn't matter if its a big bike or small bike..

Even when you're goin slow..In this case say you're goin at 70km/h..When somethin happens its only natural that you'll grip your brakes in an instant in which case will send you flyin or skiddin..We only have 2 tyres..That's how little contact we have on the road..Some experienced riders somehow are able to control the skids and may come out unscathed..But how many? I've even seen a TP hittin a bike while makin a U-turn at a junction..
    09/07/2009 - Passed 2B TP (10th attempt)

I have tried to see things from your point of view..But no matter how hard I try..Or what I do..I just can't get my head that far up my butt..

bensonloo
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just some numbers from LTA and Police :

Year 2006 total vehicles population 615558

total motor cycles 139434

year 2006 total fatal by road users :

Motorcyclist and pillion rider 102

car driver and passengers 18

pedestrian 42

pedal cyclist 14

others (bus passengers etc) 14

Just take a few seconds to think about the numbers, can one say motorcyclists are being discriminated on the road ?

Arcfire
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With these kind of stats.... I would say without a doubt YES.

Anyone who looks at these numbers and say that motorcyclists are not being discriminated against are plain shallow.

What can these puny numbers show? More motorcyclists die... Yay! That is about all folks. You are only looking at the tip of the iceberg.

There is no mention of the causes of the fatalities. Own or due to other road users? Even investigations are flawed so what makes any of these stats remotely justified?

Think hard..... Lorry runs down 3 motorcyclists, killing them. motorcyclist self skids, head hits tree and dies... All these all fall under fatalities....BUT do they make a difference? A hell of alot.

From the above stats, you can only say that motorcyclist are more at risk tat is all. All the more they are easily discriminated against.

spaiduhz
    is feeling rather meh
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mi5trooper View Post
    if a bike and a bicyle involve in an accident. (let presume it is the bicyle who are the rackless. both bike e brake and and bicyle guy fall down becos of this e braking). who do u think it is going to be pin down if it involve in tp? (let presume again that the fall of the bicyle guy is self fall down and he didn't really ram into you or etc). ya. that's ride. the moto bike person are mostlike the one going to be awarded with demerit and fine (moto bike are the one with an engine, thus the moto bike is most likely the one to be in the wrong).

Do you feel unfair? i presume u do.

To go into further detail... i believe that bicycles deserve to have a place on the roads... PROVIDED!!! that they follow some important procedures.

1. For gods sakes install blinkers. White on the front and red on the back. Motorists cant dodge you if they cant see you in the first damned place. I lost count of the number of times i nearly hit workers cycling in the dark with no blinkers nor reflectors on. ps, reflectors are useless imho.

2. dont take up the entire freaking lane. No one is forcing you to cycle within the yellow lines and risk slipping on steel drain covers, just keep to the left of the lane. i freaking hate groups of people who cycle in twos... and chat together happily, swerving occasionally into the next lane. for gods sakes want to die dont involve other people lar.

3. use your ****ing brains. just because a motorist knows you are there doesnt mean that you can just swerve infront of him, expecting him to brake on time. Several times in jurong west (near the mrt line construction area) moronic cyclists scare the **** out of me by cycling in the middle of the street, in the opposite direction, in a corner, where the safety walls makes seeing ahead difficult. WTF?

/me strokes his trusty ol steel GT mountain bike and reminisces the old days. Never had a problem with motorists. Must be because i had some friggin common sense. probably i know of my own vulnerability on the road... and kept MYSELF safe.

Anyways there was this one time where some pissant lady on a luxury SUV decided that she needs four lanes to make a U-Turn and cut into my lane when i was travelling straight on the inner lane. I didnt have time to dodge her, and i hit her side. ****ing spectators were tutting at me even though it was obvious i had the right of way. ****ing ah pek and auntie go read up on highway code before deciding whose fault it is lar. kan nin na.
    Bajaj Pulsar 180 - UG3 (2007 - )
    Suzuki GSXR-400 (2008 - 2009)
    Piaggio Vespa GT 200L (2009 - 2011)
    Yamaha YBX 125 (2010 - )
    Yamaha FZ S1 '05 (2011 - )

bensonloo
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is dangerous to always think that motorcyclist are discriminated when using the road, because this will lead to complacent, and you will think that other road users must respect your right as motorcyclist, and they must behave properly while on the road.

It is not the case in life, and on the road, every road users think only about theri own safety first before the safety of others, this if life.

Why the press or the public percived the motorcyclist as always speed, cutting lanes, riding in between lanes ,etc. Look at the number of fatal accident against the total no of motorcycles in singapore, the rate is so much higher than other type of vehicles.

It is in our interest to take care of our safety on the road and beware of other reckless road users for the shake of our own safety.

No point crying loud about discrimination because the bikers are a minority and insignificant group of road users, other road users will no give a damn to our problems.

As long as the accident/fatality rate remain higher than other road users, it is the failure on our part as bikers to protect ourself.

sometimes luck do play a part even you have taken every precaution and accident do happen, but that is very rare and if that happened, that is life, fate.

No offence bro. my opinion after 30 years of riding/driving.

Pplater
    is on the saddle
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This survery is biased and the results is unrepresentative of the local road using community. This is because it presents the subjects with a biased piece of article before polling. A proper survey should be neutral. Also, because it is being asked in a bikes forum, it is natual that most bikers will conform to what others feel.

However.... I also agree.. motorcyclists are slightly biased against. Cause i ride mah...
    P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

Pplater
    is on the saddle
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bensonloo View Post
    It is dangerous to always think that motorcyclist are discriminated when using the road, because this will lead to complacent, and you will think that other road users must respect your right as motorcyclist, and they must behave properly while on the road.

It is not the case in life, and on the road, every road users think only about theri own safety first before the safety of others, this if life.

Why the press or the public percived the motorcyclist as always speed, cutting lanes, riding in between lanes ,etc. Look at the number of fatal accident against the total no of motorcycles in singapore, the rate is so much higher than other type of vehicles.

It is in our interest to take care of our safety on the road and beware of other reckless road users for the shake of our own safety.

No point crying loud about discrimination because the bikers are a minority and insignificant group of road users, other road users will no give a damn to our problems.

As long as the accident/fatality rate remain higher than other road users, it is the failure on our part as bikers to protect ourself.

sometimes luck do play a part even you have taken every precaution and accident do happen, but that is very rare and if that happened, that is life, fate.

No offence bro. my opinion after 30 years of riding/driving.
    Its about the most sensible comment i read in this forum. 30 years experience makes a difference. I may not agree with all that you say, but you say it well.

I do agree with you the press and usually safety ads is not wrong in depicting bikers as daredevils by squeezing at high speeds. (remember the red carpet safety ad?) However, sometimes we need to get away because of others' agressiveness. How does that justify our actions then? To accept a low level risk for prolonged periods (being talilgated by a vehicle that acclerated towards you at high speed) or accepting higher risk for shorter period (lane split at varying speeds to get to free space)? It all comes down to personal preferences in the end. Different people, different choices. I was not surprised when recently, in SG car forum, i opened a thread to find out what car drivers think of us lane splitting, only to find out most car drivers think of it badly. Those who ride are supportive of us lane splitting, while at most we can expect the rest to tolerate it if we do so at safe speeds. However, some dun care if we go under, in their own words. We are after all human, and younger riders like me need more time to pass by before we mature. Sometimes controlling our temper may be difficult for some of us, although at our own expense. But then.. Darwin's theory may apply to us, on top of a bit of routlette.

I hope I'm still alive in 30 years to talk about safety. lol
    Last edited by Pplater; 27-09-2007 at 03:18 AM.
    P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

kucari
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did anyone else read one of the entries in todays ST forum page sent in by a TAXI DRIVER abt RIDERS...really pissed me off man...

Wankidal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedpass View Post
    i think it will have the same impact as car right?
    To have a normal life, you work for what you need.
    To have a great life, you work for what you want.

HondaSP
    not riding
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePole View Post
    Add 2 more points:

i encounter alot of buses acted like wat u said ... especially at orchard n Plaza sing there
    MY RIDING HISTORY
    Aug 2005~Sep 2006 - Honda SP 150
    Sep 2006~Jan 2007 - Honda CB400 Vtec3
    Feb 2007~Present - Honda Phantom 150
    Jun 2008 ~ Jul 2008 - Honda CBR1000RR
    Jul 2008 ~ Jan 2010 - Honda CB400 Vtec3
    Aug 2010 ~ Present - PIAGGO Nexus 300ie

Sep 2008 ~ Present - Project Nissan Sunny

SlowButSteady Bro
    The Big D Father
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a road users we should be more considerate rather than making sweeping statements like why the cars/buses/lorries like dat one uh?SG is a small country cant afford every vehicles had to give way to bike,As a small size we always must had this considerate feelings if we're to survive long on the roads.I possess class 2/3/4 & Bus Vocational license.Through experiences and patience that i'm still on the road with free mind today.There's no suchs thing as dicrimination towards Bikers.In SG usually the smaller vehicles bullied big vehicles,No offence though.Remember earn respect on the road not gain.
    Last edited by SlowButSteady Bro; 25-10-2007 at 12:44 PM.
    Klass 2,3,4 i shiny Professional'noye litsenziya

1993:Class 2B-Yamaha RXK/RXZ/TZR125RR/SDR200/WR200-Aprilia RS125R-Kawasaki KRR150ZX(Former)
    2000:Class 3-Honda Civic 1.6esi(Former)Proton Exora 1.6Turbo(Current)
    2004:Bus Driver Vocational License
    2009:Class 4
    2011:Class 2A-Aprilia RS250-Honda CB400SF PB1-KTM250EXC(Former)Yamaha XJR400R(Current)
    2013:Class 2-Suzuki B-King 1300(Former)

HondaSP
    not riding
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lorries n those car with speed limit DOESNT obey the limit at all i seen a private bus travelling at 100km/h n when pass me at the second lane when i was one the 3rd lane ... that moment sudden i feel scary....

Most of the spd limit car does not obey rule so we cant expect to see full a great singapore with lesser accident ...

its sad singapore have such attidude...
    MY RIDING HISTORY
    Aug 2005~Sep 2006 - Honda SP 150
    Sep 2006~Jan 2007 - Honda CB400 Vtec3
    Feb 2007~Present - Honda Phantom 150
    Jun 2008 ~ Jul 2008 - Honda CBR1000RR
    Jul 2008 ~ Jan 2010 - Honda CB400 Vtec3
    Aug 2010 ~ Present - PIAGGO Nexus 300ie

Sep 2008 ~ Present - Project Nissan Sunny

minorsage
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

precisely because there are fools like you who will think sentosa as a racetrack.

so many tourists. elderlys and young kids walking/playing around.
    who will be responsible?

even when i drive in, i will park at the open space behind the 1st bus station and take the free bus in.

roseonfire
    sad
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motorcyclists & cyclists deserve to be discriminated. COz they are very "safe" on roads,tracks n bla bla

minorsage
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkitty View Post
    when you are struggling, they are thinking what if you dropped the bike.

petrol spillage all over the floor, they will have a harder time cleaning up and they will have alot of answerings to do.
    so they rather not take the risk, just pump the petrol for you.

or even worst, what if the petrol spill and caught fire due to static, who will be responsible?

ghost04
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true enough...anyway petrol kiosk i visited they actually offer bike wash. cost the same as normal car. $6. pump for us for wat? tank so small nia...put side stand or main stand lor...

stay calm and carry on...

ghost04
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

road hoggers is a favourite topic agaist cars.

aimanbeck
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default oh yesss!

Quote Originally Posted by kucari View Post
    did anyone else read one of the entries in todays ST forum page sent in by a TAXI DRIVER abt RIDERS...really pissed me off man...
    oh yess! i read that article 3wks back in the forum section.. blardy taxi driver can talk bad about riders..

if we all write in about taxi drivers, it'll fill up the whole forum page. tio bo?

June 05 - Dec 05 FQ Gilera Runner FXR180
    Oct 07 - May 09 FS Honda CB400 VTEC Spec 1
    June 09 - Mar 11 FX Yamaha RXZ 135
    Mar 11 - Jan 14 FBC Gilera Runner ST200
    Jan 14 - Current FBJ Honda CB400X

ghost04
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See Taxi Stare At Them.

Pplater
    is on the saddle
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly believe the notion that bikers are discriminated against is overhyped at times. It could be due to defensive perception at times. I do believe if you ride in a safe and responsible manner, switching lanes in a considerate manner with soft lane changes, that kindness often influences those around you and they reciprocate. U sense the mood of the drivers around you.

Of course, you get the occasional AR$E tailgating you, but tell me this is not balanced by the young punk blowing you at traffic lights for a race. Yeah, that car could have exercised more care cutting your lane, but doesn't JB Kup circle you one round before overtaking? Of course, some shopping centres are not biker friendly, but we already have it good parking everywhere for kopi.

My point is that bad road behaviour transcends class, gender and experience. Everyone has their grievances. We are often caught up into our myopic perspectives.

It makes life much more pleasant cherishing what we as bikers enjoy that others don't, rather than lament what others have that we don't. After all, for us, it could easily all end tomorrow, and isn't it not worth sacrificing today getting upset over someone we will not meet tomorrow?

xiaobanz
    loves riding
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually is cos of the perception of most users against bike. Imagine in the fully packed expressway and bike weaving in and out. Some of the drivers who got new cars are sometimes afraid of us scratching their precious new baby out there on the road. Then also cos we are small, how much of the expressway we can take up? That's what most pure drivers mentality are.

But the also got some of the people in the riding community which are you know, black sheeps. As humans, we would usually remember most of the bad things rather then the good ones.
    ~ Future Ride ~
    CBR600rr

~ Current Drive ~
    Kia Cerato Forte SX 1.6 SJU

~ Previous Rides ~
    1. Spark 135 FBA | 2. NSR 150 SP FS | 3. Yamaha x1 FY | 4. Honda s4 verS FP

fireshamie
    has no status.
    SBF Lady Riders
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, cuz of these black sheeps, even the non-riding and non-driving community have a thing against bikes..Very too much obvious of tha society, driving/riding or non..So back to the question..

Is there discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists in SG

There so totally is..More to the stereo-typical mindset of the society that is causing this..Though I do agree with all the points pointed out above, both sides of the coins..

sheep
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i sometimes wonder why can't riders ride in the middle of the lane? Seen alot of riders ride on the dotted white lane markings when the road is obviously clear. Its dangerous and frustrating for drivers trying to overtake. I ride and drive.
    Its even more dangerous when they ride on the dotted line in the rain.. those markers are a curse to the tyres!

~My 2 stroke never fails to set my heart racing~
    I am slow please don't bully me.

fireshamie
    has no status.
    SBF Lady Riders
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cuz maybe they just prefer something they can follow on the road (ie markings)..yup, those lines are kindaf dangerous..a fren of mine got into a small incident where one side of his bike got stuck to a big concrete trailer when he was riding on the lines (a habit of his..dangerous habit i must say) and the trailer was making a lane change..lucky he can handle his bike when he untangle his bike frm d trailer..his bike alignment was out and he injured his hand..his gf (also my fren) wasnt so lucky, and her feet sustained injuries..

jodalejos
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all paint markings on the road when raining is bad for bikes.

clef
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm let me tink abt tis..

1) when buy personal accident insurance from NTUC, if we declare we are motorcyclists, a 10% additional premiun will be charged, ==> insurance go by stats, so accident free riders will b dragged down by accident prone riders (BIASED..time for insurance companies to do a more detail study for example personal claim history n give more NCD)

2) when we go petrol station, nobody help to pump, petrol station don't wash bikes, although we are ready to pay, ==> motorcycles tanks openings r horizontal to the ground as opposed to most cars which r vertical to the ground..i dun tink u will like pump attendants to pump ur bike than accidentally drip on ur tank..furthermore, most bikes r parked on side stands..
    (not completely biased)

3) some shopping centres totally ban parking for bikes, ==> to be fair, some shoppin centres r overfilled wif bikes n some bikers dun really have the consideration to park in proper lots..tis may have turned off the various shoppin centre management to totally ban motorcycles in their carparks..alternative would b to charge for the carpark..tangs is a super classic example..tink they charge $5 for bike entry now..i m not willin to enter the carpark n chk if its still as messy as before..(not biased in terms of shoppin centre management)

4) both Sentosa and PSA port ban bikes totally, ==> Sentosa BIASED, PSA no comment..

5) "Motorcycles and slower traffic, keep left" signs along E'ways, ==> BIASED..bet the implementer of the sign didnt noe that bikes can break the speed limit as often as cars also..

6) Media portrays m'cyclists as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, ==> BIASED

7) Police often classifed bike accidents as "loss of control", often fail to understand or find out why he out of control. ==> to be fair again..i dun tink the Police can investigate 100% wad happened..so its ur statement vs the other party statement..

Tyrian
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clef View Post
    1) when buy personal accident insurance from NTUC, if we declare we are motorcyclists, a 10% additional premiun will be charged, ==> insurance go by stats, so accident free riders will b dragged down by accident prone riders (BIASED..time for insurance companies to do a more detail study for example personal claim history n give more NCD)
    statistics are there for a reason.. however, most people doesn't know statistics only show part of the story (coz ppl collect data based on samples, not popluation)

2) when we go petrol station, nobody help to pump, petrol station don't wash bikes, although we are ready to pay, ==> motorcycles tanks openings r horizontal to the ground as opposed to most cars which r vertical to the ground..i dun tink u will like pump attendants to pump ur bike than accidentally drip on ur tank..furthermore, most bikes r parked on side stands..
    (not completely biased)
    well, dat i oso duno y.. gotta ask them

3) some shopping centres totally ban parking for bikes, ==> to be fair, some shoppin centres r overfilled wif bikes n some bikers dun really have the consideration to park in proper lots..tis may have turned off the various shoppin centre management to totally ban motorcycles in their carparks..alternative would b to charge for the carpark..tangs is a super classic example..tink they charge $5 for bike entry now..i m not willin to enter the carpark n chk if its still as messy as before..(not biased in terms of shoppin centre management)
    sometimes car also park inconsiderately.. in some shopping centres, sometimes l always hear "attention please, could the vehicle owner of S** **** *, please remove your vehicle immediately as it's blocking everyone".. now have u ever heard of a motorcycle's plate being announced b4?

4) both Sentosa and PSA port ban bikes totally, ==> Sentosa BIASED, PSA no comment..
    sentosa already given their stand that bikes are noisy and pose as a hazard for the users.. so now we also have souped up rex, evo and lots of racer-boy wannabe that are capable of emitting loud exhaust "music" too compared to our 2-stroke bikes as well..

as for PSA, i oso duno..

5) "Motorcycles and slower traffic, keep left" signs along E'ways, ==> BIASED..bet the implementer of the sign didnt noe that bikes can break the speed limit as often as cars also..
    that sign is a rectangular sign, not circular.. rectangular sign is information sign.. circular sign is mandatory sign.. it seems that those who can't get this clear should go back to BTT, basic theory test..

6) Media portrays m'cyclists as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, ==> BIASED
    the media also potray cars turning turtle and cars head on with a tree..

7) Police often classifed bike accidents as "loss of control", often fail to understand or find out why he out of control. ==> to be fair again..i dun tink the Police can investigate 100% wad happened..so its ur statement vs the other party statement..
    this is subjective..
    05.04 - 08.04: Honda Wave S (FV)
    08.04 - 05.09: Honda Version S (FP)
    09.08 - 08.10: Honda ESi 4dr (SBV)
    04.11 - 02.12: Ducati 749 (FY)
    05.09 - 07.14: Honda Wave X (FBD)
    07.14 - 09.15: Yamaha Tmax 530 (FBH)
    11.13 - 09.15: Honda City (SGA)

09.15 - Current: Honda Jazz (SKV)

clef
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

point 3..

i personally tink shopping centre management should jus wheel clamp like wad their warnin signs say they will do if they find illegal parkin..

mayb bcoz the motorcycles blockin the way were shifted by the security....hahaha i really duno..jus a poke in the dark..

rrr
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all the points all pretty relevant...how abt ppl not giving way to bikes.. n i 've always felt that at traffic lights sometimes if u take up a position behind a car,ppl tink u take up space..then if u squeeze in bwtn, ppl also tink u trying to squeeze wif them!

fireshamie
    has no status.
    SBF Lady Riders
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, yeap, true when u think abt it or ever xperienced it..

CoStar
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe management of shopping centres have their reasons for implementing their rules. you and i may not be an irresponsible rider and park any o how. but there are many others who do. so they have to do what is best, although, some places really exxagerate their rules.
    of course places like psa ban bikes for safety reasons. but they do allocate lots for bikes at another area.
    and why complain the pump attndent don pump for you? our tanks are small enough and we can do it ourselves for goodness sake. there are more cars pumping usually and they cant attend to everyone immediately too. some drivers are realy noob at pumping petrol.
    GENERALLY, i believe most riders are more considerate than drivers. drivers who also ride are much more road friendly IMO coz they emphatize with the bikers too.

just my twenty cents.
    Yamaha 125Z-Oct 2006 to OCT 2010
    HONDA CB400 SPEC 1 - OCT 2010..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast