User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is there discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists in SG

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    278 90.85%
  • No

    28 9.15%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 201 to 221 of 221

Thread: Discrimination against m'cycles/cyclists/

  1. #201
    Limhg
    has no status.
    Class 2B Limhg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    410
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by gamerzdude View Post
    Part of the reason is that majority of elite civil servants, public planners, and MPs/Ministers do NOT ride motorcycles. As such, they turn a blind eye to our needs. Public planners as well as building owners sometimes place bike parking as the least of their priorities with lots that are either non-existent, too small sized, or at some inconvenient corner.

    One example is Simei Easpoint which has a very small designated parking for bikes outside the entrance of the carpark .The lots are down a steep slope and if you have heavy bike, it is impossible to reverse your bike out. There are also 4 lots underneath a sloping roof that if you were to ride straight into the lot, you will knock your head against the roof!!!

    These elites who do not ride bikes also seem to view motorcyclists as low-class nuisance and gangsters. Thus they do not welcome us in places like Sentosa, RWS, MBS, and other "atas" places.

    I am a businessman, owning a SME company. I choose to ride my motorcycle everywhere as it is my passion.

    I once booked an entire hotel (sentosa) ballroom for my company event, and as I rode to sentosa I was denied entry. Even when I show them my hotel booking. Come on, I spend money here and you won't let me in? Then I have visited my clients living in Sentosa Cove (and I do see residents' bikes parked there) and once again I was denied entry despite my client calling up the Sentosa staff. I was escorted out of Sentosa.

    I often go for business meetings, functions and events at hotels at which there are no bikes allowed. What I do is that I pay full-priced carparking charges - and with that I believe I should be entitled to park my bike in a car lot (since firstly, there are no motorcycle lots and i do not want to be wheel clamped for parking elsewhere... and secondly since I am paying same price as a car) - and guess what, I have CAR OWNERS complaining to security why my bike takes up the car lot.

    In summary, whether you have money or not, whether you ride an big or small bike - it makes no difference because in Singapore, motorcycles are being discriminated against.

    Note: I am a firm supporter of equal treatment for ALL road users, regardless of what vehicle you drive. And every citizen should be treated with equal dignity.

    Time to stage a nation wide protests by bikers. Blockade of Parliament House by bikers?
    Yes I agree fully except the protest at parliament house. =x


    Can we at least do a big big petition to sentosa? If you start it I'll sign it with my thumbprint. Get all the signatures and call up newspaper to make our voices heard. They do not know how big the motorcyclist can boost or dampen their income yet.

  2. #202
    zalk
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    302
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I can understand why Sentosa doesn't allow bikes. Otherwise there will be convoys of 2-strokes with modified exhausts blowing exhaust throughout the night and waking everyone up. And not to mention they will park and ride on the (already narrow in Sentosa) pavement and block people from walking. Very sad because most people who park on the pavement can't be bothered to do it without blocking people, setting a very bad precedent. And Sentosa can't very well ban two-strokes only cos some clown on a 4-stroke with a Yoshimura will start doing the same instead. So to prevent all that, just blanket ban. And there's no way they have enough space for a bike parking lot in Sentosa for visitors because there's already very little space on the island. Sad to say this despite all the nearby motorcycle carparks such as Seah Im being really full.

     

     
  3. #203
    Busablackbird
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    16
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yes. You see many buildings at orchard also restrict motorbikes from entering.. Sad..

  4. #204
    Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,183
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zalk View Post
    I can understand why Sentosa doesn't allow bikes. Otherwise there will be convoys of 2-strokes with modified exhausts blowing exhaust throughout the night and waking everyone up. And not to mention they will park and ride on the (already narrow in Sentosa) pavement and block people from walking. Very sad because most people who park on the pavement can't be bothered to do it without blocking people, setting a very bad precedent. And Sentosa can't very well ban two-strokes only cos some clown on a 4-stroke with a Yoshimura will start doing the same instead. So to prevent all that, just blanket ban. And there's no way they have enough space for a bike parking lot in Sentosa for visitors because there's already very little space on the island. Sad to say this despite all the nearby motorcycle carparks such as Seah Im being really full.
    I don't get it. You park on pavement block people? People cannot change direction is it? Then cars with straight pipes can? 2 stroke convoys? Wtf? Like I said la, I don't get this logic.

  5. #205
    Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,183
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamerzdude View Post
    Part of the reason is that majority of elite civil servants, public planners, and MPs/Ministers do NOT ride motorcycles. As such, they turn a blind eye to our needs. Public planners as well as building owners sometimes place bike parking as the least of their priorities with lots that are either non-existent, too small sized, or at some inconvenient corner.

    One example is Simei Easpoint which has a very small designated parking for bikes outside the entrance of the carpark .The lots are down a steep slope and if you have heavy bike, it is impossible to reverse your bike out. There are also 4 lots underneath a sloping roof that if you were to ride straight into the lot, you will knock your head against the roof!!!

    These elites who do not ride bikes also seem to view motorcyclists as low-class nuisance and gangsters. Thus they do not welcome us in places like Sentosa, RWS, MBS, and other "atas" places.

    I am a businessman, owning a SME company. I choose to ride my motorcycle everywhere as it is my passion.

    I once booked an entire hotel (sentosa) ballroom for my company event, and as I rode to sentosa I was denied entry. Even when I show them my hotel booking. Come on, I spend money here and you won't let me in? Then I have visited my clients living in Sentosa Cove (and I do see residents' bikes parked there) and once again I was denied entry despite my client calling up the Sentosa staff. I was escorted out of Sentosa.

    I often go for business meetings, functions and events at hotels at which there are no bikes allowed. What I do is that I pay full-priced carparking charges - and with that I believe I should be entitled to park my bike in a car lot (since firstly, there are no motorcycle lots and i do not want to be wheel clamped for parking elsewhere... and secondly since I am paying same price as a car) - and guess what, I have CAR OWNERS complaining to security why my bike takes up the car lot.

    In summary, whether you have money or not, whether you ride an big or small bike - it makes no difference because in Singapore, motorcycles are being discriminated against.

    Note: I am a firm supporter of equal treatment for ALL road users, regardless of what vehicle you drive. And every citizen should be treated with equal dignity.

    Time to stage a nation wide protests by bikers. Blockade of Parliament House by bikers?
    Need someone like Ghost rider, go do burnout in front of Istana. If they treat us like low class gangsters just because we ride a cheaper, more efficient mode of transport, might as well act like one.

  6. #206
    keyxblade
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    924
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree that there is discrimination against bikers. After riding for 4 years I feel most people discriminate bikers, but if u look at their point of view it is normal. Since most of them never ride in their life they think that it is dangerous to squeeze between traffic. And also a lot of bikes especially those 2B bikes has very loud exhaust, it is quite a nuisance especially to people living at low floors near the road. A lot of bikes also ride on pathment, which blocks pedestrians and even force them to walk on the green which can be annoying. Some bikes even ride on hdb walkway to aviod paying at the gantry. A lot of bikes park on pathment too. blocking the way of pedestrians. And also the 2T smoke from stroke bikes.

    All this bad points will definitely cause all the non riders to hate us. Please be considerate and think at their shoes, if u wan respect from others please show some respect to them first. Stop riding and parking on pathment, and having ridicoulous loud pipes, I know loud pipe saves life but some is really overkill.
    Last edited by keyxblade; 30-04-2014 at 12:12 AM.

  7. #207
    ticks
    is learning supermoto
    TeePee ticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,356
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Want to ride on pavement? Can... But be mindful the pavement is for pedestrian, not for bikes. So when there's pedestrian walking, slow the eff down and pass them slowly and quietly. And say 'thank you' or 'sorry' even, when u pass them.. Especially in cbd, some dispatch riders ride on pavement and expect pedestrians to give them way. Wth..
    Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

  8. #208
    Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,183
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keyxblade View Post
    I agree that there is discrimination against bikers. After riding for 4 years I feel most people discriminate bikers, but if u look at their point of view it is normal. Since most of them never ride in their life they think that it is dangerous to squeeze between traffic. And also a lot of bikes especially those 2B bikes has very loud exhaust, it is quite a nuisance especially to people living at low floors near the road. A lot of bikes also ride on pathment, which blocks pedestrians and even force them to walk on the green which can be annoying. Some bikes even ride on hdb walkway to aviod paying at the gantry. A lot of bikes park on pathment too. blocking the way of pedestrians. And also the 2T smoke from stroke bikes.

    All this bad points will definitely cause all the non riders to hate us. Please be considerate and think at their shoes, if u wan respect from others please show some respect to them first. Stop riding and parking on pathment, and having ridicoulous loud pipes, I know loud pipe saves life but some is really overkill.
    4 years of riding and you're vouching for non riders because of loud pipes and riding on pavement? Since when did loud pipes killed anyone? I'm bloody sure not knowing where's the signal lever has and plenty more to come. If you think LED lights are more dangerous than FTs with kopi licenses driving OTR, well LTA is the job for you, making as much sense as pushing a door with a PULL sign.

    Honestly I believe the discrimination stems from jealousy because riders can do what non riders can't so they need something to make themselves feel better but hey, people are stupid and discrimination is here to stay no matter what riders do as long as the Singaporean mentality persists.

  9. #209
    duo
    would rather be a troll than the champion..
    SBF Lacer duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,156
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    All these discrimination is because of jealousy. They cannot see others having a somewhat good life. They just have to make it harder for others.
    KRGT-1
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

  10. #210
    keyxblade
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    924
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
    4 years of riding and you're vouching for non riders because of loud pipes and riding on pavement? Since when did loud pipes killed anyone? I'm bloody sure not knowing where's the signal lever has and plenty more to come. If you think LED lights are more dangerous than FTs with kopi licenses driving OTR, well LTA is the job for you, making as much sense as pushing a door with a PULL sign.

    Honestly I believe the discrimination stems from jealousy because riders can do what non riders can't so they need something to make themselves feel better but hey, people are stupid and discrimination is here to stay no matter what riders do as long as the Singaporean mentality persists.
    I am not vouching for non riders I just saying from what I have heard from people, and I think their opinion is valid especially on riding on pathment, I have seen GS1200 riding on pathment at the back of a HDB block at 30-40km/h imagine a kid dash out, he will end up in hospital for sure. And their kids wake up in the middle of the night bec of a inconsiderate rider with loud pipe reving at night.

    I didnt said anything about LED or what ever u are saying which is kinda of odd that u put words in my mouth. I understand your frustrating of cars that dont signal and FTS drivers who drive like their grandfather road.

  11. #211
    duo
    would rather be a troll than the champion..
    SBF Lacer duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,156
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Its opposite for me. Pedestrians walking through bike lots when there is already a designated walkway for them. Simply because it is faster. But live and let live.
    KRGT-1
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

     

     
  12. #212
    Orleng
    has no status.
    Class 2A Orleng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    769
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have to chime in here about riding and parking on the pavement. It's a path designed for pedestrians to stay on and traverse safely. I am sure some will say that they ride safely on the pavement, I don't doubt that. That being said, there are definitely a number, not insignificant, who do it without much care. All you need is for a small kid to stray / dash across the path to create a dangerous situation. Moreover, there are some riders who seem to take it that pedestrians have to move out of their way and give them a wide berth.

    As for parking on the pavement, that's really bad form if done without thought. Maybe if it were somewhere unobtrusive in a dead-end alley, fine. However, it is not uncommon to see bikes parked along pavements next to popular coffeeshops/hdb areas. Do keep in mind that wheelchair users have to use the pavement too in these areas. How would they be expected to navigate onto the grass just to avoid an inconsiderately parked bike? On top of that, oil from chains/engines do drip onto the pavement. Imagine some old uncle with a walking stick plants the tip of his cane on to an oily spot and falls as a result. On top of that, exhaust pipes can get extremely hot after usage and pose a danger to passing pedestrians. Sssuuuurreee, they can detour onto the grass to go around the bike, but that sort of defeats the pavement's purpose.

    In which case, the people who are entitled to safe passage on the pavement are being discriminated against by these errant bikers? Big fish eat small fish?

    Just because we face discriminatory practices, e.g. lack of suitable motorcycle parking in town, does not mean that we should feel entitled to privileges which place a burden upon other users of public spaces.

    Actually, pretty much all this boils down to this one train of thought : "My convenience over yours". Same thing happens when some one does not use their turn indicators to signal their intention. Or drivers who rampantly park in bike lots.
    Building owners who don't allow access to bikes? More convenient to bar entry than to allocate proper spaces and ensure safe carpark design to minimise injury and paperwork.

    It's the prevalent attitude here in this rat-racing island. Pick your battles and live another day.
    Last edited by Orleng; 14-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.
    Smile! Tomorrow will be worse.

    SBT #1149 Price List

  13. #213
    keyxblade
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    924
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default



    this is why motorcyclist shouldnt ride on pavement/pedestrian path. it cause danger to others and the rider. I hope riders stop doing this it really give us a bad reputation.
    Last edited by keyxblade; 28-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.

  14. #214
    Amon-Ra
    has no status.
    P Plate Amon-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    92
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keyxblade View Post

    this is why motorcyclist shouldnt ride on pavement/pedestrian path. it cause danger to others and the rider. I hope riders stop doing this it really give us a bad reputation.
    Yeah, many of these clowns are the so-called FTs with kopi licenses. These guys have it easy. They don't have to spend more than 6 months and $1K+ going through 8 staggered stages just to get a 2b license. Just simply pass a basic theory test and they are allowed to convert their licenses. This is probably why they bring their devil-may-care riding attitude from their home countries into our land...

  15. #215
    duo
    would rather be a troll than the champion..
    SBF Lacer duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,156
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amon-Ra View Post
    Yeah, many of these clowns are the so-called FTs with kopi licenses. These guys have it easy. They don't have to spend more than 6 months and $1K+ going through 8 staggered stages just to get a 2b license. Just simply pass a basic theory test and they are allowed to convert their licenses. This is probably why they bring their devil-may-care riding attitude from their home countries into our land...
    Problem with the basic theory test is it can be taken with different languages. The road signs and directions are in English. I had witnessed a so called FT taking this theory test. The invigilator even explained not to click on end test and instead click on next question after done with every question. Common sense for those who understands English. This FT very confidently clicked on end test right after answering the first question. Raised his hand and the invigilator came to his assistance. The invigilator was pissed and told the FT he have to go book another. Cannot be helped already.
    KRGT-1
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

  16. #216
    Amon-Ra
    has no status.
    P Plate Amon-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    92
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, part of the problem. Agreed. Like if we go to a country where we can't read the road signs, we'd be equally f**ked!

  17. #217
    BlueSoapr
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    38
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keynes View Post
    Hi.

    I feel in this modern nation we live in, we still face discrimination against motorcycles/cyclists.

    I'd like to cite the following examples:-

    1) when buy personal accident insurance from NTUC, if we declare we are motorcyclists, a 10% additional premiun will be charged,

    2) when we go petrol station, nobody help to pump, petrol station don't wash bikes, although we are ready to pay,

    3) some shopping centres totally ban parking for bikes,

    4) both Sentosa and PSA port ban bikes totally,

    5) "Motorcycles and slower traffic, keep left" signs along E'ways,

    6) Media portrays m'cyclists as speeding, weaving in and out of traffic,

    7) Police often classifed bike accidents as "loss of control", often fail to understand or find out why he out of control.

    Your opinions, please.
    1) Motorcycles have a higher % of getting into an accident. Hence the higher premium.

    2) This I agree, attendants at petrol stations SHOULD offer to help us to top up our bikes. I really don't see why they don't do this.

    3) I agree on this point too, motorcycles take up much lesser space as compared to cars, we should be given lots in every parking lot.

    4) As many people have said, Sentosa is a place for tourists. We don't want gangster bikes going in to create air pollution, illegal street races, and a bad reputation.

    5) Majority of the bikes in Singapore are 2B bikes, hence "slower" traffic.

    6) Have you seen how many motorcyclists weave in and out of traffic dangerously? I'm both a driver and a rider so I can relate.

    7) How would you lose control of your motorcycle?

  18. #218
    Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,183
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duo View Post
    Problem with the basic theory test is it can be taken with different languages. The road signs and directions are in English. I had witnessed a so called FT taking this theory test. The invigilator even explained not to click on end test and instead click on next question after done with every question. Common sense for those who understands English. This FT very confidently clicked on end test right after answering the first question. Raised his hand and the invigilator came to his assistance. The invigilator was pissed and told the FT he have to go book another. Cannot be helped already.
    Rather have these monkeys go back home and learn English than have them kill someone, some hit and run, some cause accidents, PRC and indiamaris are some of the worst drivers in the world.

  19. #219
    duo
    would rather be a troll than the champion..
    SBF Lacer duo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,156
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
    Rather have these monkeys go back home and learn English than have them kill someone, some hit and run, some cause accidents, PRC and indiamaris are some of the worst drivers in the world.
    Brace yourself. It seems that it will be much easier for them to acquire their driving licences here just like how easy it is for them to get citizenship. Click here.

  20. #220
    eejamboy
    has no status.
    L Plate eejamboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    48
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duo View Post
    Brace yourself. It seems that it will be much easier for them to acquire their driving licences here just like how easy it is for them to get citizenship. Click here.
    "Drivers with foreign driving licence need to pass only the Basic Theory Test to convert the licence to Class 3C licence."

    All the horror dreams and nightmares I have been having is now officially becoming a reality..
    Yamaha.Yamaha.Yamaha

  21. #221
    imuyaayumi
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eejamboy View Post
    "Drivers with foreign driving licence need to pass only the Basic Theory Test to convert the licence to Class 3C licence."

    All the horror dreams and nightmares I have been having is now officially becoming a reality..
    Class 3C can only drive "normal" cars below 3ton.

    This will affect all the foreign workers driving lorries or company transport, they cannot drive their lorries unless they take the whole Class 3 licence like the rest of us. Sure they can convert their licence to 3C but it's practically useless for the company and for their work. They are making things harder for foreign worker drivers, not easier.

     

     
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •