Dino Bravo
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Sky99@January 07, 2007 10:40 am
    Anyone heard of such investment which u invest 3k. every mth get back $300 . for 12mths. u get back 3.6k. so u earn $600. that's confirm . and if the project is successful . u get 30k. my bro have been bugging my parents to invest. is it too gd to be true?
    This should be the taiwan project. some MLM company which i think i shouldn't name, is trying to make some city in taiwan wireless...
    well, at first i was excited when i heard about it. but i gave up after meeting and speaking to a few of the "so called managers" for just a few times.

there are countless questions they cannot answer me. one of the most basic is that if the project fails, how do i make sure the company keep their promise. he cannot answer.
    i told him straight in the face that i have no confidence in his company. and there is no "black and white", and the worst thing being the contract paper doesn't even look professional. even the documents i signed at my bike shop has more standard. ok i know that "professional look" doesn't mean anything. but we are talking about 5-digit to 6-digit sums here, a 14yr old could come up with a better kind of ducoment.
    asked him how he could convince me, he showed me some lengthy boring video over his lap top, and showed me a PHOTOCOPY of a document he claimed signed by some mayor in taiwan. asked to see the original, he say cannot access to... i mean WTF, just all this to convince me?

i had friends who had invested in it. and yes they do get back money every month.
    but i'm not gonna risk a few thousands in something that has no solid background or whatever you call that. its just like i borrow a sum of money from you, and i say i will pay you back, no black & white documents no nothing. just my words. i pay you back abit, and after that i run away who knows.... that kinda feeling...

well... it all boils down to... that he couldn't convince me. and couldnt' feed me with the information i wanna know.
    Adam Khoo once said, it is a very big risk for you if you do not have enough info, even if its a solid good deal
    Rich Dad says... a fool and his money are soon seperated
    if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

i'm NOT saying that this investment thingy is a scam... it does pay you back, but we dunno what they have in mind for your money as it is not transparent at all.
    try talking to them, anyone of them, and you can sense that either they themselves dunno what is clearly going on (the juniors), or they are trying to hide something (the senior managers)
    i'm trying to say that for that few thousands that you gonna risk, might as well put it to betta use for long term purpose and discover the magic of compound interest over time.
    who knows, you invest your few thousands, in hope to make a killing. in the end they shoot you in the arse and tell you it wasn't sucessful. and you only gain that measly amount of $$$ COMPARED TO WHAT YOU WERE PROMISED. which might be what they have planned in mind in the first place.
    there's no clause in the contract that stated that they MUST pay you. i read it over many many times....
    sorry for being a wet blanket to those who have invested. but i personally think it wouldn't work out. if it works... then i bang balls... and we have alot of rich singaporeans...

Sky99
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Throttle@January 08, 2007 08:00 pm
    Sky, in that case, can I borrow money from the company to invest in it?
    since they are 100% sure of their own product.

They can charge me 10%pa no problem, i would like to borrow not much, just $3mil. Then I use the money that they lend to me to put with them, can?

Since they guarantee the returns themselves then they should give their own product 100% collateral value.

So I borrow from them at exhorbitant tates of 10% per year.
    I will pay them $300k in interest. No problem.

But since the minimum return is 20% as you said, then at the end of 1 year, they have to pay me $600k min.

Of which, they can keep half as my interest payment to them.

If they dont pay me I dont pay them.
    Ok? I'm fine with that. where can I sign?

HAHAHAHAH
    Btw i am not sure if they lend ppl money lei . i heard from my bro that the company unable to borrow $ from the bank. so they ask ppl invest. u guys might think. WAH. bank dun borrow them $. then how can they confirm they surely can pay me back. i also duno lor. i think they got black and white. and there still got 1 more. invest 12k. and u get back 1k+ per mth .
    To ride on the road, You need skills,Stamina, or even luck.

But to be a good rider, you have to change with your environment,and adjust yourself to its rhythm.

Cultivate the confidence to face the different situations. Don't let yourself to be subdued by the environment

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just mocking the whole thing lah, you think i really bother?

wah lau eh, your brother sibei naive.
    You are excusable becos you are young and ignorant.
    please dont learn from your brother.
    Bank dont lent them money for a good reason.

I'm not saying that this whole thing will or will not work but just becos they claim high returns, greedy fools soon part with their money.
    The formula for taking money from fools is simple, just work on their greed. muayhahahahaha

xiaowang
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second that, Throttle bro.
    Check this thread out. I am creating a club of bikers for bikers. This is for intercultural intergration. Come on in, fellow bikers.
    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90550

okl
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the man to look for when it comes to money, turn on throttle.
    Sep'04 - Nov'05 (1yr, 2mths): NSR150SP (FR2577Z)
    Nov'05 - Dec'06 (1yr, 1mths): GSX400R (FJ6410L)
    Dec'06 - Sep'08 (1yr, 9mths): CBR929RR (FS3851U)
    Sep'08 - Mar'12 (3yr, 5mths): TA200 (FV4581B)
    Mar'12 - ???????????????????: GL200R (FBE5662G)

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make me sound like a loanshark leh, OKL...hehheh

but seriously, different people with different levels of wealth and different background treat investments differently.

There actually really isnt a right or wrong but it does define the winners vs the losers.

dinie
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

not to barge in the topic or wad.. but ive been wanting to try this for months.. you noe how we spent on luxuries such as ciggs, clubbing, alcohol etc etc.. so for the fun of it and to explore probability at maybe its highest extend, why not we all pool disposable cash which we normally waste on luxuries of at least $50 and buy TOTO quickpick ordinary tickets? so if 10 ppl share, tts 500 dollars and 1000 combinations of 6 digits.. who noes? we mite get lucky.. like i said its jus for the fun of it.. tho 50 bucks is still cash but as mentioned before, we spend more than 50 bucks everytime on unnecessary stuff if u get wad i mean.. i hope u guys dun think im trying to be funny or wad.. but seriously... u nv noe.. interested parties can PM me and let's try to get at least 10 ppl.. if in the end win only 20 dollars, at least can pump one litre of petrol for each person.. haha.. cheers..

xb84
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by dinie@January 14, 2007 05:08 am
    not to barge in the topic or wad.. but ive been wanting to try this for months.. you noe how we spent on luxuries such as ciggs, clubbing, alcohol etc etc.. so for the fun of it and to explore probability at maybe its highest extend, why not we all pool disposable cash which we normally waste on luxuries of at least $50 and buy TOTO quickpick ordinary tickets? so if 10 ppl share, tts 500 dollars and 1000 combinations of 6 digits.. who noes? we mite get lucky.. like i said its jus for the fun of it.. tho 50 bucks is still cash but as mentioned before, we spend more than 50 bucks everytime on unnecessary stuff if u get wad i mean.. i hope u guys dun think im trying to be funny or wad.. but seriously... u nv noe.. interested parties can PM me and let's try to get at least 10 ppl.. if in the end win only 20 dollars, at least can pump one litre of petrol for each person.. haha.. cheers..
    i love dividends.

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by dinie@January 14, 2007 05:08 am
    Thats been done quite a few times by some folks in my dealing room.
    In fact back in 2000 or 2001, they won first prize. $2++ mil . split among quite a few people. in the end each one got about $100k++ not bad. capital to go in was $3000 per person.

We've tried it one of two times after but got nothing maybe because each person only $100. Not enough to cover the probability. All for comaraderie and fun is ok.
    cant really make money this way, lah...

dinie
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

wow 100K.. tts a whole lot.. yeap jus for fun lar.. tts y mus be disposable money..

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one solid investment to make.

Invest in Yourself.
    ============
    Upgrade skills and knowledge
    Expand horizons
    Enrich experiences
    Maintain Well-being

How? Through various meaningful courses, through interaction with people, through reading, through travelling, through exercise, through opening up your heart and mind etc....

A journey with no end.

Alvin.Y
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Throttle@January 16, 2007 06:14 pm
    Here's one solid investment to make.

Invest in Yourself.
    ============
    Upgrade skills and knowledge
    Expand horizons
    Enrich experiences
    Maintain Well-being

How? Through various meaningful courses, through interaction with people, through reading, through travelling, through exercise, through opening up your heart and mind etc....

A journey with no end.
    well said. best investment advice so far
    a portfolio by,of and for yourself
    Money should never change one's values.Making money is only a report card. It's a way to tell others how you are doing

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any views on the SRS (Supplementary Retirement Scheme)?

It seems quite useful if you're paying income tax and rather than pay income tax, put money into SRS such that you don't have to pay or pay lesser income tax. Then when you retire, draw money from this account like you paymaster. Depending on how much you draw, you either defer income tax till then or pay no taxes at all. You can also buy SGS bonds and t-bills with this account.

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about CPF investments? What allows you to invest using CPF monies? The 2.5%/4% interest is not really interesting.

contrarian
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by E.V.ilyn@January 24, 2007 04:17 pm

It seems quite useful if you're paying income tax and rather than pay income tax, put money into SRS such that you don't have to pay or pay lesser income tax. Then when you retire, draw money from this account like you paymaster. Depending on how much you draw, you either defer income tax till then or pay no taxes at all. You can also buy SGS bonds and t-bills with this account.
    This requires a great leap of faith in the government not to change the terms of the SRS adversely against the participant over time.

You'd have to trust that in 30 years time, the withdrawal age hasn't been increased, the tax rates on withdrawals don't become more unfavourable...

For a good case study, check out what happened to the promise of CPF from the time it started in 1955 until today.
    Ask anyone who started work in 1960s retired in 2000s, they can tell you the story. Even better, ask someone who converted his pension scheme to CPF scheme. See what happened to contribution rates, see what happened to uses of funds (housing, medical, minimum sum...).
    He who hesitates is lost!

contrarian
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Originally posted by E.V.ilyn@January 24, 2007 04:19 pm
    How about CPF investments? What allows you to invest using CPF monies? The 2.5%/4% interest is not really interesting.
    Last week, Aviva launched their new product BigE.

Finally I see a CPF OA investment instrument that is worthy of consideration.
    -structured as an endowment policy to mature at retirement
    -however it has no early withdrawal penalty unlike an endowment policy
    -able to withdraw all funds with 3 working days notice
    -minimum guaranteed interest to be above the prevailing CPF OA rate at any time (means not necessarily 2.5% - even if it goes up, Aviva will pay better than that)
    -if Aviva can't match the CPF rate at any month, it will stop the programme and refund all monies with interest to date to the account holder
    -even has a minimal death benefit on top of the fantastic savings return

So there we have it - a product that has risk comparable to the CPF OA, better return, and no lock-in period or charges. It is truly a revolution for CPF IS instruments.

For CPF SA, 4% minimum guaranteed rate risk-free is an outstanding return on investment. I would not invest my CPF SA, especially since the available instruments ironically are restricted to lower risk than the CPF OA. Unfortunately the bureaucrats have got this totally wrong. The long term investment - the SA - should be capable of being put in higher risk instruments compared to the shorter horizon OA.
    He who hesitates is lost!

ermintham
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do i get to learn all these when im studying biz in ntu?
    24th Feb'06 - 28th Jun'06 NSR 150SP FR 8*9*Y
    29th Jun'06 -Dec'06 Crutches n Taxi
    Jan'06 - present day Public Transport
    25th May'07 Daihatsu Extol

bike sold on my bdae!!

xiaowang
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no.
    Check this thread out. I am creating a club of bikers for bikers. This is for intercultural intergration. Come on in, fellow bikers.
    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90550

ermintham
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh...then u all self read? or go thru some courseS?

bike sold on my bdae!!

ermintham
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bike sold on my bdae!!

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes

jia_yvon
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u really have tt much. will u waste ur time here talking rubbish? if u can ear a few million then cont go earn maybe billion. dun waste time here takking with us poor ppl

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    dats y. i computer hero

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by stevenminqijia@February 11, 2007 04:12 pm
    if u really have tt much. will u waste ur time here talking rubbish? if u can ear a few million then cont go earn maybe billion. dun waste time here takking with us poor ppl
    who you talking to dude?
    we all working class people here enjoying some exchange of info and comaraderie.
    Are you on the wrong thread perhaps?

ermintham
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is he drunk?

bike sold on my bdae!!

xb84
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sourgrapes
    i love dividends.

xb84
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ermintham@February 10, 2007 05:33 pm
    maybe u shld transfer to SMU and do financial instruments and instutional markets module.

btw all these investment related stuff are all over the internet, just google, only when u want to learn more in depth the courses benefit.

my view.
    i love dividends.

ermintham
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

k thanks for the heads up

bike sold on my bdae!!

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in one of the older threads there was mention about buying tbills directly from bank. well, i finally had the time to do it.

it wasn't as bad as made out to be. just fill in 1 or 2 forms, give photocopy of ic, and that's it. there wasn't any queue either. in fact i didn't really have to queue even though i went during lunch hour. you do not have to go to the service counters. just get a number for the invest shop.

so how is it like compared to buying from poems? well, first of all the return is higher. based on my calculation, i got 3.1%. according to poems, they are selling at 2.9%. so that's a 0.2% difference. this difference is the commission that poems charges. this translates to $2 per $1k you purchase.

you can try this if you have say $50k. dump $30k into buying tbills from the bank. then with the remainder $20k, split into 10 $2k portions. every week buy tbills through poems with each share that you have prepared.

so what does this give you? $30k invested via bank, a little more troublesome but this is done once every 3mths, giving you not much, ~$60 more compared to buying all through poems. then buying through poems is easier since it's a 5min online/telephone job, best for high frequency buys.

so long as for the first 3mths you can survive, thereafter you'll have a sum of money coming back every week giving you higher returns compared to fixed-d and also better flexibility.

timeline is something like:
    week 1: invest $30k via bank
    week 2: invest $2k via poems
    week 3: invest $2k via poems
    week 4: invest $2k via poems
    week 5: invest $2k via poems
    week 6: invest $2k via poems
    week 7: invest $2k via poems
    week 8: invest $2k via poems
    week 9: invest $2k via poems
    week 10: invest $2k via poems
    week 11: invest $2k via poems
    week 12: invest $1k via poems (maybe you need to top up a little to buy $1k, since at this point of time you have probably invested ~$49.6k or so for a $50k value)
    week 13: $30k matures
    week 14: $2k matures
    week 15: $2k matures

maybe a bit pointless since you can also choose to sell tbills anytime but you may not get back your initial investment. by employing a strategy like this you are more or less assured that you will have ready funds when you need them and less likely to lose money. depending on your needs, lifestyle, funds available, etc., you can play around with the investment amounts and the intervals. you may have $5k in your savings/current account as emergency funds, then maybe you can schedule your tbills purchases every 2-4weeks.

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wah so troublesome.
    Time is money indeed.
    anyway my fixed monthly SGD deposit which pays me 3.22%pa

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Throttle@February 15, 2007 05:37 pm
    Wah so troublesome.
    Time is money indeed.
    anyway my fixed monthly SGD deposit which pays me 3.22%pa
    hahaha... yes definitely rather troublesome but may be suitable for some peeps. the less troublesome way is just to buy tbills straight from the bank and don't bother about creating close intervals cash inflows.

time is money but if you've time but no money then you can use time to convert to money. self improve, speculate, invest, maximise, work ot, etc.

i believe many of us wish we have enough cash flow to open a fixed-d account that puts us in the same interest bracket as you but alas...

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by E.V.ilyn@February 16, 2007 02:59 am
    time is money but if you've time but no money then you can use time to convert to money. self improve, speculate, invest, maximise, work ot, etc.
    Well Said!

hydrop
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to have more info on S$ Time/Fixed Deposit. Which bank provides the best rates and how does it work? Thanks!

We R One!

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go call up all the banks and ask for their rate lah..
    what do you mean "how does it work?"

if the sum is substantial, then you got more say. if only $50k then just accept whatever is given. in other words "LL" haha

cheers HCNY

hydrop
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Throttle@February 18, 2007 11:25 am
    Go call up all the banks and ask for their rate lah..
    what do you mean "how does it work?"

if the sum is substantial, then you got more say. if only $50k then just accept whatever is given. in other words "LL" haha

cheers HCNY
    Happy CNY to u too! Just wondering why banks don't publish their rates online like for those savings accounts?
    We R One!

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

savings rates changes as and when on a daily basis and the rate is quite insignificant in general so Banks not bothered. The bank in general doesnt care about the money in the savings accounts, so the rate sucks

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by hydrop@February 18, 2007 10:31 am
    I would like to have more info on S$ Time/Fixed Deposit. Which bank provides the best rates and how does it work? Thanks!

different banks have different rates for different amounts for different lengths during different period. the only way to know is to either call them up or to walk in and ask. they occasionally have "promotional" rates for various amounts, but the "more attractive" rates usually is 2 years or more worth of the middle income individual. the last time i heard uob offers like 2.4% pa for min 30k during one of their promotion. scb at a point of time offered similar rate but for 50k.

working is simple. put in say $50k for say 2yrs and they promise you say 1.5% pa. if you withdraw any amount during the tenure period i.e. before the fixed-d matures, you do not get any interest.

as mentioned earlier in this thread, unless you have substantial amount of money such that the bank will give you a interest rate over 3% pa, it's still better to invest in tbills imo. tbills over the last year at least have consistently returned ~3.1% +- 0.5% pa (annualised). you can get this rate from as little as 1k, and you only get locked in for 3 months.

check out the faqs in sgs, poems, etc. if you're interested.

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heard one of my ex-colleague got 40% returns from diying through poems, mostly unit trust. and that is quite a good fraction of his annual salary package. think he can fulfill his million retirement dream. *envious*

that said, i've read that due to the power of compounding it is always better to start investing in ut as early as possible but i could not quite catch it. does ut work like shares where you get dividends? if not, no matter how early you start, your returns is still based on the price of that ut at point of selling. and the profit is only the price of buy - price is sale multiplied by the quantity. no compounding element that way i see?

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

power of compounding only works if there are returns reinvested to be compounded over the years. and to buy early to enjoy power of compounding means this thing is a sure winner. (tell me which UT is a sure winner and I show you a law suit, haha)

for unit trust, it may not be better to start investing earlier due to power of compounding simply becos unit trust returns are not guaranteed.
    The power of compounding as a reason to start investing earlier rightfully cannot be used here. it is probably just a sales pitch.

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Throttle@February 19, 2007 12:01 am
    power of compounding only works if there are returns reinvested to be compounded over the years. and to buy early to enjoy power of compounding means this thing is a sure winner. (tell me which UT is a sure winner and I show you a law suit, haha)

for unit trust, it may not be better to start investing earlier due to power of compounding simply becos unit trust returns are not guaranteed.
    The power of compounding as a reason to start investing earlier rightfully cannot be used here. it is probably just a sales pitch.
    what do you mean by returns in unit trust context?

does unit trust work by the way of now the price is $1, you buy 1000, assume no charges, you have 1000 units. 10yrs later, the price is $2, you thus sell the 1000 units you own for $2000. thus returns = $1000. or along the way the number of units you own will increase even if you do no invest more? or does unit trust deal out some form of dividend?

noob

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unit trust, mutuals funds mostly work on a nav or net asset value basis.
    You can find the explanation of NAV on most financial websites.

Anyway, your units will not increase unless you buy more
    some reinvest dividends into the fund itself, others payout to subscribers. depends on their mandate.

If you subscribe into an equity fund for $1 a unit and the market crashes bringing it down to 80c a unit, you have simply lost 20%.
    If the dividends are reinvested, it will also be reflected in the NAV of the fund.

Unit Trusts are the layman's Mutual Funds. Both basically work the same way. but Unit trust commission and mgt fee could be a lot higher due to lack of economies of scale for the single retail investor.

E.V.ilyn
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Throttle@February 19, 2007 11:51 am
    unit trust, mutuals funds mostly work on a nav or net asset value basis.
    You can find the explanation of NAV on most financial websites.

Anyway, your units will not increase unless you buy more
    some reinvest dividends into the fund itself, others payout to subscribers. depends on their mandate.

If you subscribe into an equity fund for $1 a unit and the market crashes bringing it down to 80c a unit, you have simply lost 20%.
    If the dividends are reinvested, it will also be reflected in the NAV of the fund.

Unit Trusts are the layman's Mutual Funds. Both basically work the same way. but Unit trust commission and mgt fee could be a lot higher due to lack of economies of scale for the single retail investor.
    i see. so am i right to say that there are certain unit trust that deals out dividends in cash to the investor and yet others that gives out bonus units?

Throttle
    needs a holiday
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah , that is possible.

However, most sought after top end funds will not give out bonus units.
    the increase in NAV if attained is what investors seek anyway..

danieltanboonhuat
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by E.V.ilyn@January 24, 2007 04:17 pm

that is good if you are currently being taxed on income tax and have disposable income on your hands,,, probably applicale for income above 40K a year only..

basically you set aside money in the SRs scheme, buy whetever you wan and it will be exempt from being included in your income tax assessment( just like CPG contribution),

The differnece from CPF, you can chose to withdraw it in an emergency, (subjest to a small surcharge and the amount withdrawn being included in your income tax assessment for that year

so that means,,, you can save now, get charges less for income tax,..

later on in life maybe when you retire or maybe no income for a year (pregnant, sabbath, tour etc etc) , you can withdraw the money,,,, as your own income is down for that year, you won;t hit the assessable range.,.

hope it;s readable
    For you O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You shall surround him as with a shield. Psalm 5:12

danieltanboonhuat
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by E.V.ilyn@January 24, 2007 04:19 pm
    30 percent of your ordinary account is allowed to trade stocks,,,

100 percent for other apprived instruments like unit trrust, insurance etc etc...

10% max for Gold,,,

options, futures are not allowed
    For you O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You shall surround him as with a shield. Psalm 5:12

danieltanboonhuat
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by E.V.ilyn@December 04, 2006 05:00 pm
    My mum just showed me a "lobang". Apparently someone just introduced her to this thingy called SwissCash and she bought it!!! Wanted to get me to buy. Then when I showed disinterest she wanted to buy using my IC... #%@^#&

I later ran a quick check but found it rather dubious. MLM style. No information on how the money is spent, etc. Their FAQ says that since you are getting fixed payout every month, you do not need to know how they use your money for investment...

Imagine they are promising 300% returns over 18 months! Guaranteed! If this is true (which is too good to be true and in my dictionary, means most likely untrue) then I might as well save 2 years worth of salary, dump 1 year's into the SwissCash, then live on the remaining year for 18 months, then when 18 months is up, I'll have 300% back in return! This means I'm I do not need to work at all!!! All I ever need to do is to rechannel the returns into the investment.

Just hope she don't buy anymore into it... I'm doubtful if she can even get any amount back...
    be careful,.,,

I am doubtful over this swiss cash thingy,

by the way. on the moneysense websitem it's blacklisted under dubious companys by the govt

it;s not regulated in SG

danieltanboonhuat
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm,,.,,

so angry for ??

bikers must be poor meh?

you are sadly mistaken

marvypower
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it all depends on individual la..
    there're quite a number of poor fellows like me..
    we're not used to throwing 50-100k here and there readily..
    I only throw 500-1000 ard to pay for insurance, road taxes, broker fees, credit card bills...
    Access to the photos Vypower collection,
    Visit...
    Here

Everytime u pump V-Power,
    Remember MarVyPower!!!

danieltanboonhuat
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm... it;s really how you manage your money ba.

i started with only 100 a month,. that was two years back.

now 5 lots in SPC all in. show hand

wolfang
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by danieltanboonhuat@February 21, 2007 12:48 am
    hmm... it;s really how you manage your money ba.

i started with only 100 a month,. that was two years back.

now 5 lots in SPC all in. show hand
    u got 5 lots in SPC?

Although i am not a pro, i do think SPC will fall hard right after dividend is pay out.

Better SELL SPC and see the situation. Now 4.62 but before dividend is announced, it was about 4.12.. DANGER!

Get involved in other credible shares (but not much fluctuations) like new share CItySpring...
    10/2002-10/2003 -- Aprilia Extreme 125
    02/2004-03/2005 -- Italjet Dragster 180
    01/2005-08/2006 -- Suzuki Srad 600
    03/2006-10/2006 -- Yamaha DT200WR
    10/2006-02/2007 -- Honda XR 400
    03/2007-12/2007 -- Nissan Skyline GTT 2.5A
    06/2008-02/2009 -- Suzuki RMX 250
    02/2009-10/2009 -- Yamaha Dragstar Custom 400
    06/2010-01/2011 -- Harley Davidson 883R
    03/2011-05/2011 -- Husqvarna 510

danieltanboonhuat
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am already out keke

Cityspring?

not in my radar at the moment

I am one of those who believes a major correction is coming.

let;s wait and see

Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast