User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding the Himalaya's Razorback on the Enfield 350 Thunderbird (Aug 2007)

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Riding the Himalaya's Razorback on the Enfield 350 Thunderbird (Aug 2007)

It was almost not to be. Though I felt a bit off, the opportunity was too good to miss - I had a track session in Pasir Gudang early National Day and by afternoon I had a fever of 39degress. The doctor was not too enthusiastic - he took a sample of my blood to check for dengue, as he put it.

But the medicine had me sorted out, and by the time I had to take the plane the fever had gone down, and with a sense of trepidation that I might have dengue, I was on the plane and deposited into a balmy Delhi in about 6 hours.

Almost a year in the planning, this trip was promising to be quite a ride: A 900+ kilometres trip into Leh from Manali, through the Himalayas and some of the highest mountain passes in the world; thereon to Srinagar from Leh.

In Delhi I managed to snag an Enfield Thunderbird, a 350cc four stroke in Karol Bagh - a place choked with bikes and spares:

Karol Bagh

Karol Bagh

Karol Bagh

Identity Crisis

The Thunderbird

Ride Reports, Pictures & Plenty More at www.fb666y.com

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The First Leg: Delhi - Shimla
    The day started well, the rental shop gave me a ride out of town. Delhi is not a place you want to do much riding. It's a chaotic mess, more bumper car than proper driving. There are no rules when driving in India - it makes for very hectic and dangerous driving.

We rode for about 150km through sunshine before the wheather turned vicious: the rain started lashing down pretty good. It was crazy for a while - riding two up and trying to keep the bike upright through ankle deep waters that were churning round street corners and there was the Thunderbird, splonking through large potholes. The rain was so bad even the cows were off the streets and standing under awning giving us looks as we passed.

The Delhi - Amritsar highway. Pretty smooth, most of it anyways

At a gas station in Chandigarh. In case youre wondering what the plastic cans are for, theyre for the fuel I need to carry cause there arent that many gas stations on my route.

A rare let up in the rain.

A glimpse of Shimla

Unfortunately I didnt get the chance of take much pictures. The rain came on so suddenly I didnt even have the chance to put on my rain pants or rain covers. By the time we got to Shimla I was cold and freezing!

Some scenes from Shimla

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Second Leg: Shimla - Manali
    The day started miserably, holding on to the coattails of the previous day. We made our way out of Shimla in the drizzle, but the wheather improved the further into Himachal Pradesh we went.

Narrow mountain roads - this was a constant: roads so narrow it was amazing how the Indians squeezed pass themselves.

Mud

More mud

Tea stop - by now the sun was beginning to show itself

Another constant - rockfalls

184kilometres to Manali

Coming out of Bilaspur

Everything cme undone a few kilometres outside of Bilaspur - mudslides had made the road impassable. A long queue of cars, trucks and buses stood aimless around, waiting for the heavy cranes to restore sanity. Riding a bike does have advantages: most bikers were having a go at the mudslide. I managed halfway through the first slide, halfway through the second one before I bogged down in squelching mud halfway up t my knees. Bummer.

Somehow I madeit through with the help of a bunch of locals who lifted the bike over the worst of the mudslide. I was thinking was out of the woods and Manali was still a good possibility. Boy was I ever wrong: there was an even bigger mudslide ahead - the path took the bike down the road till at a point where all the bikers had to gun the bike over a 2 metre hedge. By then the cranes were there and laid a steep 70 degree muddle slope. The Thunderbird made it through, barely, with a dozen hands grabbing the bike to ease it over.

The bike was caked with mud, my rain covers were gone, sucked in by the mud, my shoes were more brown than black, but somehow I was out on the other side. Now all I had was about 5 kilometres of backed up traffic to navigate. Abreast the trucks werent giving much space - did I mention the entire road clung along the side of a mountain, and I had to thread the Thunderbird along the edge - trucks on my right and a sheer cliff edge to the left. At a point I even had to give that meagre space up for an elephant (you heard right) that was lumbering up.

Incredible India!

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to get to the front

Traffic backed up

That not the mudslide

This is the mudslide

Well and truly stuck

It was somewhat of a pity I didnt take too many pictures - wished I did. But man, I was way too busy getting myself out that mud.

ganman
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic Rides you have here... Manali to Leh is a popular biking route for riding especially for bicycle touring.

Anyway great pictures again.

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Second Leg Continued: Mandi - Manali
    By the time I was sorted out it was pushing 5 in the afternoon and I was bushed. We decided to stay in the nearest town, Mandi, and carry on to Manali the next day. Come morning we were out in the sunshine and we had a comfortable ride to Manali.

Some pictures from the Kulu Valley ride:

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some shots from Manali:
    Im not doing Manali much justice with these few pictures - its actually a very pretty place in beautiful alpine setting:

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More to come - most probably tomorrow.
    I had to sift through more than a thousand pictures!

paithorn
    loves my new ride!
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOU are the MAN!!!

shoei_com
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, u r powerful......

Quote Originally Posted by FB666Y View Post
    More to come - most probably tomorrow.
    I had to sift through more than a thousand pictures!
    fn328k.multiply.com/photos

Life is short, Ride hard..........

YZFx
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thumbs up!!!!!

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Third Leg: Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Leh
    The next morning we started out at 7am, hoping to beat the crowd. The Thunderbird barged its way past many trucks, slipped and slid on the sharp slopes up to the first pass: Rohtang Pass.

The roads were atrocious - correction, there wasnt much of a road - mud mixed with stones both small and large make for a very slippery ascent. By the time we got up, there were patches of blue in the sky.

As we got higher a vulture swopped out of the morning mist - there was a calf on the mountain that was on its last breath.

Manali to Leh was taken in small steps, firstly to enjoy the scenery and secondly to aclimatise to the high altitudes. Due to some Indian National Day celebration we couldnt find a place to stay in Keylong, a smallish town. Instead we had to settle for Jispa, a small village with a hotel, a further 30km from Keylong. Even though we did about 130km on the first day they felt like a thousand kilometres - the roads were aweful, the 20km from Keylong to Jispa was basically rocks. The bike vibrated so much through those rocks the fuel cap came undone and flew off - as far as I knew its still somewhere along the road. I had to use the hotel's bathing cap and a rubber band to keep the fuel from evaporating!

However despite that the scenery was awesome, huge mountains sprang up around every bend, each one more larger than the last. You can see huge waterfalls from the melting snow, and most mountains peaks were snow capped. The country was rugged and amazing.

Now the pics:

Out of Manali, early morning and cold

Almost the top of Rohtang Pass

Couple of coffeeshops there

A vulture drying out its wings and giving us the stare as we pass by

Top of Rohtang Pass

A dhaba, or coffeshop on the other side of the pass. The two of us had aloo prathas and tea for 50 Rupees or $2

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tandi gas station - no more for the next 360km till Leh

Another water hazard - there are numerous streams you will have to cross on this leg

The little village of Jispa

Our hotel, nestled among hulking snow capped mountains and the Beas River

The rest will have to wait till tomorrow

adrianslacker
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at the dog!

seriously man, you should compile all your trips and publish a book, then have a TV series on your next trip. Singapore's version of "long way round"

YZFx
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ofcourse he can... he is the man that i salute to!!!!!!!!!! i mean, serious, he is an adventurious and friendly man.. great guy

Xtr33m3
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was almost not to be. Though I felt a bit off, the opportunity was too good to miss - I had a track session in Pasir Gudang early National Day and by afternoon I had a fever of 39degress. The doctor was not too enthusiastic - he took a sample of my blood to check for dengue, as he put it.

But the medicine had me sorted out, and by the time I had to take the plane the fever had gone down, and with a sense of trepidation that I might have dengue, I was on the plane and deposited into a balmy Delhi in about 6 hours.
    Its amazing that u recovered from the virus so quickly. I had what I taught was dengue on week following Nat Day (same drill - 38 deg fever, shivers, headache, body ache, blood test) - took me a week to recover but it was OK one day and then fever again the next - the last side effect was body rashes. Till today still no clue what was the cause of my fever- and it was not dengue. Guess it helps to get away from it all on the Enfield

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Third Leg (Continued): Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Leh
    The day was clear and bright and sunny - in fact we didnt have any trouble with the wheather untill we returned to Delhi. Everyday was gloriously bright, more so for people from the tropics because the wind was very cold. Standing in the shade was an easy way to start shivering, we spent as much time in the sun as possible, and might have gotten a few shades of brown because of it.

We had an easy (if there's such a thing) ride of 80ish kilometres to Sarchu where we had a tent waiting for us. We rode through gorgeous scenery again and came up Zing Zing Bar (4287metres) - with a name like that I expected something more than just a couple of shacks! After Zing Zing Bar it was uphill to Baralacha La (5029metres). The Thunderbird, like its occupants was panting by the time we were up. The headaches which started in Jispa were pounding here, the situation somewhat compounded by the bad roads - our brains were rattling in the helmets.

From the top it was mostly downhill through bad roads to Sarchu and the tents.

The tents are pretty basic - just beds with thick blankets. Its pretty awefully cold in Sarchu, youre looking at 6 or 7 degrees celsius. The wind swoop down the valley (its a pretty high valley mind you - at 3.8km above sea level) in a steady howling stream. There's absolutely nothing to do in Sarchu except maybe tend to your headache and look at the raw vistas that stretch out before you. I will not even go into the pretty basic toilet facilities - taking a dump in a small tent in a toilet bowl that's propped up by slabs of rock while the freezing wind ruffles and howls around the tent can be very exciting - enough said.

More from around Jispa

The scenery was food for the eyes

More streams fed by snow melting high up in the mountains

I wont say bad roads!

Zing Zing Bar arounds

Zing Zing Bar arounds

Zing Zing Bar arounds

Zing Zing Bar arounds

Baralacha La - 5029metres. I just stood up and took a a couple of pics.

Baralacha La - 5029metres. We stayed maybe about 20 seconds before we moved on!

Dhabas - bloody in the middle of nowhere, but the tea was very good!

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally at Sarchu.

Pictures from around Sarchu:

Nicholai
    wants to conquer the world!
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice views and all, man. Only the 2 of you went for the trip? How long and, approximately, how much did you stay and spend during your trip there? You went there on a package tour?

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Third Leg (Continued): Manali - Jispa - Sarchu - Leh
    The final day on the Leh ride. We got up early after a restless night - I was up every hour wondering how long I had before daybreak. We were off by 7am and boy it was bloody cold in the shadows of the mountains.

First up were the Gata Loops, a collection of bends that resemble a long twisted noodle. That got us up to the first pass of the day: Nakee La at 4.7km. Next up was Lachulung La at 5.06km. From there it was mostly bumpy rocks till Pang, a tent town. From Pang it was onwards to the Moores Plains which are situated in a plateau at 4.6km above sea level. You might otherwise considering how flat the terrain is and how the mountain sprout out on both side of the plateau like tooths.

The Moores Plain was pretty bad even though I heard otherwise. There were roadworks going on, and sections of the road was 2 foot deep sand. The Thunderbird spent some time trying to twist upon itself. It also blew a fuse here - for a while there it was panic station as I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the bike. I didnt fancy getting stuck in the middle of nowhere!

After Moores it was upwards again to Tanglang La at 5.35km. Did I say there are no roads, just rocks - big rocks! The views at the top were impressive. Then it was downhill, shuddering all the way to Leh where the roads improved.

Gata Loops

Gata Loops

Gata Loops

At the top - Nakee La

Traffic Jam. The place a couple of large rocks under the front wheel of the army truck

That lifted the army truck and provided that couple of inch for the tanker to scrap metallicly through

Approaching Pang

Pang

Moores Plains - doesnt look like its more than 4km above sea level

Moores Plains

Moores Plains

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanglang La

Tanglang La

Ladakh and getting closer to Leh

Just outside of Leh

Finally in the guest house in Leh

Guest house in Leh

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some pictures from around Leh:

the twisty back alleys of Leh

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the view from our guesthouse

Guy's Kawasaki broke down in Pang - about 150km from Leh

Its amazing what you can put on the top of a bus!

View from Shanti Stupa at dusk

View from Shanti Stupa at dusk

Shanti Stupa

JamesPorn1
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amazing ride
    1998 r1200c

biking nomad
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB666Y,

Those landscape shots and the narrative are indescribably magnificent. In three words - because one would not suffice, and two will never really convey the magnitude of what I feel – absolutely mind blowing!

You journey to very enriching places. I am sure you enjoy every minute of the journey when you're on the road and you reminisce every moment of the epic journey when you're back. While you ride your dreams, I live vicariously through your reports and nurse my dream of riding away into the horizon and letting my front wheel point to where home will be.

Thank you for keeping me hungry for the long open road, the warmth of the people on the journey and discovering an epic adventure.

Hope you will provide some details on your planning and the nitty gritty so some like me can someday ride your tracks and walk in your footsteps.
    Someday, home will be where my front wheel points.

Astride a 2002 Yamaha Fazer FZS600

senate747
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very awesome pics... bro, u r the man....
    Sep 2001 - Jan 2003 WR200
    Jan 2003 - Feb 2005 S4 spec 1
    Feb 2005 - Apr 2006 FZ6
    Apr 2006 - May 2006 Vios & FZ6
    May2006 - Jan 2007 Vios
    Jan 2007 - ???????? Vios & S4 spec 1

mudman
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

respect man...u've taken touring to yet another platform...for many of us living in sg...it's still a dream to be realised someday.....
    color=red]For our sins.........................HooAH[/color]

fooz
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely fantastic stuff u got thr!
    kudos to ur other half for being such a good sport. and a good photographer as well... the pics are v well taken.
    i wonder wat kinda carrot u dangled to entice her to join u in the adventure =)

btw, wat did u to the royal enfield after the trip? sold/dumped it?
    FOR SALE (PM for more details)
    -inline hockey guards,stick, gloves,pants
    -ipod shuffle, 1GB, red, limited edition

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fourth Leg: Leh - Kargil - Srinagar
    Next up was a comfortable 400km saunter to the Kashmir valley and Srinagar with an overnight stop in Kargil. The 200km stretch to Kargil took us about 6 hours and through mostly good roads (subjective here - compared to what we have been riding on!).

Leaving Leh we managed to pass the Dalai Lama who had a long train of cars following him. The roads were lined with people hoping to glimpse the Dalai Lama and had to deal with a dusty Enfield till the Dalai Lama drove by. The high road through Lamaruyu was amazing, though I didnt get any proper pictures of the thousand year old monastery there. We bumped into a bunch of Polish riders who had shipped their bikes over to India and were footloose and fancyfree through the Himalayan and Zanskar ranges with the BMWs and Africa Twins.

Kargil was pretty dull. We didnt do much except watch tv - miraculously they had satellite tv and managed to catch the Motogp. The next day we were held up in Kargil while the local school had a race on the local roads. We finally got on the road and made our way to Zoji La Pass, the pass that pass from the brown Ladakh ranges into the green verdant valleys of Kashmir.

Zoji La Pass itself was in a terrible state - large rocks, exceeding narrow roads, and potholes so large they were craters.

Out of Leh we bumped into a Polish ragtag bunch of riders

Lamaruyu

One of the many quirky roadsigns put up by BRO

Lamaruyu

Approaching Kargil

Kargil

Kargil

Kargil

Hmmm - the enemy is evidently just over the hills. Close to where the Pakistani came over in 1999

A village just outside of Kargil

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A village just outside of Kargil

Approaching Zoji La Pass

Climbing the Zoji La Pass

The top

Tourist - you find them everywhere nowadays - this bunch took a bus up.

The road down the pass and into Kashmir

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going down - I wouldnt even call that a road!

The green Kashmiri valley

More from Kashmir

More from Kashmir

More from Kashmir

More from Kashmir

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures from Srinagar, with the Daal Lake and several mosques:

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont have much time today to finish up the remainder of the pictures so I thought I'd answe some questions:

Xtr33m3-
    Its amazing that u recovered from the virus so quickly. I had what I taught was dengue on week following Nat Day (same drill - 38 deg fever, shivers, headache, body ache, blood test) - took me a week to recover but it was OK one day and then fever again the next - the last side effect was body rashes. Till today still no clue what was the cause of my fever- and it was not dengue. Guess it helps to get away from it all on the Enfield

The clinic didnt come back with the result of the blood test, so I can safely assume it wasnt dengue. Going to the track with a slight fever probably made it somewhat worse, so Im kind of lucky it didnt get me down for too long.

Nicholai -
    Nice views and all, man. Only the 2 of you went for the trip? How long and, approximately, how much did you stay and spend during your trip there? You went there on a package tour?

We spend about 6k for the two of us for 19 days. No package - only the 2 of us and the road.

fooz -

Nope - it was a rental - it ended up back at the shop

Nicholai
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont have much time today to finish up the remainder of the pictures so I thought I'd answe some questions:

Xtr33m3-

The clinic didnt come back with the result of the blood test, so I can safely assume it wasnt dengue. Going to the track with a slight fever probably made it somewhat worse, so Im kind of lucky it didnt get me down for too long.

Nicholai -

We spend about 6k for the two of us for 19 days. No package - only the 2 of us and the road.

fooz -

Nope - it was a rental - it ended up back at the shop
    It's good that you weren't infected with the dengue fever, man. $6k for the both you for 19 days is a very good deal. I'm sure you must have worked on the budget prior to the trip. Maybe I'll do a you for my honeymoon . How much was the bike rental?

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will need to take several limitations in consideration if you want to do the same.

Basic facilities like toilets are lacking in all places - the only proper toilet you will find is in your hotel room.

Roads may not be what you imagined: Manali - Leh though 460km only had proper tarmac for about 100km - the rest was a slow bumpy 20kmh rocky crawl while dodging trucks buses and jeeps.

Kashmir and Srinagar is choked full of military - there are military personnel posted every 100 metres of so along the entire 100km stretch of the valley.
    Coming out of Srinagar we saw minesweepers - personnel combing the roadside and surrounding countryside for mines. This is Kashmir after all.

Driving/riding in India is a different kettle of fish - pedestrians and trucks and buses will ignore you - pedestrians will cross right in front of you, buses have no qualms pushing you to the side and even off the road. When I was in Delhi the local bus (Delhi blueline buses) transport death toll for the year was 75. Up till Aug of this year the buses have runned over and killed 75 people.

You will also need to be handy with the spanner should the bike break down - there isnt a mechanic for hundreds of kilometres.

The road is only open for a small window - 4 or 5 months between May till September. The rest of the year the passes are snowed in and the road is impassable.

Other than that ... its a hell of a ride!

Nicholai
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an extreme adventure, man. Thanx for the tip! Will try to come up with a fool-proof plan should I decide to go on with this similar adventure. My utmost respect and pride is to you.

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fifth Leg: Srinagar - Amritsar
    A 430ish kilometre jaunt, the ride to Amritsar was done in one day. We went from the cool valleys of Kashmir into the dry and hot plains of Punjab. The road was mostly good - early morning in Srinagar and the road to Jammu saw loads of military personnel combing the road and surrounding countryside for mines. The day passed pretty much uneventfully and by 6pm we were in Amritsar.

We did a bit of a walkabout in Amritsar, and the evening the next day we went down to the Wagah border to watch the border closing ceremony. More of that on YouTube here - http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search. Its a bit of a show the 2 sides put up with flag waving and goose step marching and taunting.

Last looks at Kashmir

Last looks at Kashmir

Last looks at Kashmir

Last looks at Kashmir

Last looks at Kashmir

The Golden Temple in Amritsar

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From around Amritsar

Attari Wagah Border Ceremony

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sixth and last Leg: Amritsar - Delhi
    Nothing much to say about the last day on the bike. A 500km kilometre jaunt went smoothly till about a 100km from Delhi when a stray spoke peeled back the chainguard, pushing it rearwards. Luckily it didnt get stuck in the wheel, and after taking off the wheel I managed to hammer it back to place. It held for another 70km but by then it was raining and I made it into Delhi and back to the bikeshop with the chainguard rubbing against the spokes.

And thats about it.

Some pictures from around Delhi, and the Taj Mahal (which I managed in a day trip from Delhi)

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

belgarathc
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a trip!

Dalbir
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Top of the world

Well my man, U had a great ride on the top of the world. Maybe you will come here and ride the top of Europe with us. I was just listening to Like a Rolling Stone - while looking at your pics. Great Stuff.

See u soon !

biking nomad
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Living a Dream 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dalbir View Post
    Well my man, U had a great ride on the top of the world. Maybe you will come here and ride the top of Europe with us. I was just listening to Like a Rolling Stone - while looking at your pics. Great Stuff.

See u soon !
    Hey Dalbir!
    Enjoyed every punctuation, word and picture from your Living a Dream ride.
    Any plans to publish a book? I'd be first in line for a autographed copy.

Is your site still online? WOuld love to revisit your journey.

Tks for the vicarious thrills. ANd of cos, chak de phatey!!

FB666Y
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn - I was the webmaster on that site! But no, the Livingadream site has been off aired for a couple of years - if you have 100mb of space I could be tempted to put it back online again.

biking nomad
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a real pity! You deserve a lot of credit for the excellent site. And of cos it would all have been nothing without Dalbir's extraordinary journey. Can't stop laughing at the story abt having his Dommie stolen in Leeds and then getting it back from the theives!

I do not have any kind of IT knowledge to know much about hosting nor do I have the finances to get it up. But then that makes it a great excuse to put a book out.

Shameless Plug to SBF Admin:
    Any chance of hosting it on SBF's servers? Trust me, many riders would enjoy the pictures and story!

To date, I only have met one Singaporean RTW rider who published his journey. I'm sure, like Michael and Dalbir, there are others who have accomplished simmialr feats but we might not have heard abt it. It would be a good inspiration for others wanting to follow your tracks or just for some vicarious thrills.

Michael Fong's A Tankful of Time
    http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/titles/30244.htm

Although, I've never met Dalbir I had the good fortune of somehow hearing abt his trip and website. Subsequently, i've had the good fortune of meeting ppl who have known him personally. And everyone says what a swell guy he is.

Big fan, man!
    And now a FB666 fan too!

Chak De, guys!

Nicholas Chan
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FB666Y,

I should be able to put up 100 - 500 megs of space for you on a local server of mine in a couple of weeks. PM me if you need it.
    projectsenso.com - Asia's Entrepreneurs Community, bringing 1,241 entrepreneurs from Singapore, Malaysia and Philippines together!

desmokat
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

salute u .. my bro.. u really make us wana go for it!!!!
    PasSion for rIdinG burns as long as my soul lives...

RidEs
    _____

Kymco Zinc150..Honda TA150..Suzuki Despardo400..Honda CB400 PB1..Yamaha Spark110..Suzuki V_Strom 1000k3..Yamaha Majesty Yp250..Suzuki DR650 SE..Honda Sonic125..Yamaha Fino'08..Honda CBF150'07..Honda Deauville 650..B-Bone125..

Jackie-HD
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Rock!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast