User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56

Thread: [Misc] IT Chat Thread

  1. #1
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default [Misc] IT Chat Thread





    let's talk here...

    any garbage... core dump... trash.. recycle stuff..

    or simply kopi ..

  2. #2
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    hey nelly..

    me usually meet up with vincekam on friday lunch time.. around CBD area..

    so how bout ya ??

     

     
  3. #3
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Once upon a time, I used to work in an area called the Central Business District.

    I have since left that area that's nicely cordoned by the some transport authority. Must be the radiation from some overhead gantries and eye strain from politically-correct old ladies that's left me with a terrible migraine.

    Now I'm in Jurong, getting my day's worth of noxious fumes

    Ok, sarcastic poetry aside there. I'd be glad to meet both of ya for a cuppa and am alright for meetups in the evening, but I think this usually comes into conflict with both your timings there.

    And one more thing: Looks like the boys of I.T. had gone
    The I.T. Introductory thread had went underwater so I had to fish it up back to the surface.

    In the meantime, I see if I can work something out, but this depends on the activity around here.
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  4. #4
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    okay then..

    well, me and vincekam usually try to fish out the younger ones among many old ladies during lunch times.. hehe..

    and uncle vince stays at far east and after office hour meet ups are rare due to family commitments (i still drop by lavender food court time by time to see SBF guys..)

    may be when there's IT Fair.. Job Fair... watever Fair.. then we can go together..

  5. #5
    vincekam
    has no status.
    SBF Moderator vincekam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,778
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't call them OLD LADIES, kmax. It's rude :-)
    Let's call them mature :-)

    I stay at the end of eastern side, and I like to ride up till tuas checkpoint. But cannot go across as promise.

    I'm looking for people to lunch at West Coast mac today from 12:30pm till 5:00pm.

    Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    okay then..

    well, me and vincekam usually try to fish out the younger ones among many old ladies during lunch times.. hehe..

    and uncle vince stays at far east and after office hour meet ups are rare due to family commitments (i still drop by lavender food court time by time to see SBF guys..)

    may be when there's IT Fair.. Job Fair... watever Fair.. then we can go together..
    Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.

  6. #6
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    so envy you... 12:30 till 5:00 hehe..

    i guess west coast mac is flooded with younger ones too...

    btw my laptop just died.. surfing SBF last night... and window hang... rebooted from task manager and never came around..
    still can see window loading bar... but never pass that..
    too tired to troubleshoot last night..

    strange thing is i got a call from a friend yesterday that his laptop just gone bust..HDD not detactable..

    and i got a call from another friend past 2 days for the same thing.. well.. let's go to SLT..

  7. #7
    vincekam
    has no status.
    SBF Moderator vincekam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    3,778
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am skipping my lunch from Mon - Thur.
    So I can afford to use 5hrs to eat for a whole work week :-)

    Mac is not really flooded with the younger ones.
    Many working class used that place to take a break too.

    Suddenly some many laptop issue huh.
    dump them away.. take a break. It's Friday.

    Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    so envy you... 12:30 till 5:00 hehe..

    i guess west coast mac is flooded with younger ones too...

    btw my laptop just died.. surfing SBF last night... and window hang... rebooted from task manager and never came around..
    still can see window loading bar... but never pass that..
    too tired to troubleshoot last night..

    strange thing is i got a call from a friend yesterday that his laptop just gone bust..HDD not detactable..

    and i got a call from another friend past 2 days for the same thing.. well.. let's go to SLT..
    Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.

  8. #8
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vincekam View Post
    I am skipping my lunch from Mon - Thur.
    So I can afford to use 5hrs to eat for a whole work week :-)

    Mac is not really flooded with the younger ones.
    Many working class used that place to take a break too.

    Suddenly some many laptop issue huh.
    dump them away.. take a break. It's Friday.

    Cheers!
    Is it just me or do HDD failures coincide with upcoming IT fairs

    Nah, j/k...

    Well, I could have joined if I was able to. Still in camp for my once-a-year thing...
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  9. #9
    chuan.z
    has no status.
    Class 2 chuan.z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SG,SG
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    For those that can undestand the joke...
    http://xkcd.com/138/

  10. #10
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuan.z View Post
    For those that can undestand the joke...
    http://xkcd.com/138/
    My head hurt figuring out what you meant and I hate you too!

    EDIT: I said "pointers" as in tips, not memory pointers !!!!!!1111

    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  11. #11
    crazydj
    is the Master of Magical Fuel Penguins
    TeePee crazydj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,505
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuan.z View Post
    For those that can undestand the joke...
    http://xkcd.com/138/
    LOL! So farnie LOL! Pointers! Get it?

    For those who don't know:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointers

    EDIT: Gosh i can't stop reading the comics from that source!
    Last edited by crazydj; 22-08-2009 at 01:08 PM.
    [2005 Yamaha YBR 125]


     

     
  12. #12
    tanchunxun
    is working hard
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nice joke man..
    Safety come First

  13. #13
    jiasheng
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol.. why not aligned to 4 byte boundaries? rare to see that for memory.
    Walk a thousand miles.

  14. #14
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    that was 5~6 years ago during under graduate... ah my brain is not that good...

  15. #15
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I got one:

    kmax: With regards to the recent incident that you had with one of your devices, hope this comic will cheer you up

    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  16. #16
    lwfc
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer lwfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    10,887
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuan.z View Post
    For those that can undestand the joke...
    http://xkcd.com/138/
    this reminds me of Gamesharks code during Playstation days.


  17. #17
    chuan.z
    has no status.
    Class 2 chuan.z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SG,SG
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiasheng View Post
    lol.. why not aligned to 4 byte boundaries? rare to see that for memory.
    omg...

    Quote Originally Posted by crazydj View Post
    LOL! So farnie LOL! Pointers! Get it?

    For those who don't know:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointers

    EDIT: Gosh i can't stop reading the comics from that source!
    Lol... yeah, happened to me too when I first came across xkcd... burnt the whole weekend starting all the way from comic #1
    Last edited by chuan.z; 23-08-2009 at 01:49 AM.

  18. #18
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    nelly.... i didnt shocked my hdd.. it was standing alone on table... just went *poof*

    anyway.. went to SLT.. and this one laptop repair shop say.. leave it it them, they'll run diagnostic and let me know what's wrong..

    so i leave my laptop with them and came back. About 15 minutes later.... the aunty from shop called me.. laptop HDD spoilt... to change new 160GB, 2.5" SATA... is 190 S$.... DVDRW drive was spolit too... new one... 140 S$..
    first i didnt know the price....but after hwzone and http://www.videopro.com.sg/scanpl.php says that 160 GB is about 65 S$.... okay... so i am walking

    went back to the shop, said thank you aunty for ur kind service but poor me cant afford ur HDD... and she said why dont want to change..then i said because other shops selling so much different price.... yet she still keep on smiling and tell me, "i know, but that is HDD alone price, we will install window and office for u"

    yeah, like i dont know how to install window...

    she's good salesmanship that still want to sell HDD alone at the price listed from othershops..

    well, from another shop, i got to buy new DVDRW drive as my poor laptop has boot function only from CD and floppy (but it does not comes with floppy drive, hell, i havent seen one in ages)

    came back home, dig out my old CD collection and found XP installer disk... installed ok, but no drivers.. even compaq site does not have any driver for my lappy model for XP as they are pre-loaded with vista home...

    well.. have to look for vista again in mininova.... but now i can surf net and do some work...

  19. #19
    jiasheng
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbeacon View Post
    I got one:

    kmax: With regards to the recent incident that you had with one of your devices, hope this comic will cheer you up

    lol.. i like this.. are they still called master n slave? I tot i remembered reading some news that they are gonna change that concept. Even that was eons ago..
    Walk a thousand miles.

  20. #20
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jiasheng View Post
    lol.. i like this.. are they still called master n slave? I tot i remembered reading some news that they are gonna change that concept. Even that was eons ago..
    Hey there.

    I think it's called sATA.

    The last time I've serviced a sATA equipped computer, I'd just simply plug in the sATA hard drive, enter the BIOS and set the boot order, and then forget about the rest. No master/slave configuration to worry about, unlike the older IDE (now called pATA)

    Quote Originally Posted by kmax
    nelly.... i didnt shocked my hdd.. it was standing alone on table... just went *poof*

    anyway.. went to SLT.. and this one laptop repair shop say.. leave it it them, they'll run diagnostic and let me know what's wrong..

    so i leave my laptop with them and came back. About 15 minutes later.... the aunty from shop called me.. laptop HDD spoilt... to change new 160GB, 2.5" SATA... is 190 S$.... DVDRW drive was spolit too... new one... 140 S$..
    first i didnt know the price....but after hwzone and http://www.videopro.com.sg/scanpl.php says that 160 GB is about 65 S$.... okay... so i am walking

    went back to the shop, said thank you aunty for ur kind service but poor me cant afford ur HDD... and she said why dont want to change..then i said because other shops selling so much different price.... yet she still keep on smiling and tell me, "i know, but that is HDD alone price, we will install window and office for u"

    yeah, like i dont know how to install window...

    she's good salesmanship that still want to sell HDD alone at the price listed from othershops..

    well, from another shop, i got to buy new DVDRW drive as my poor laptop has boot function only from CD and floppy (but it does not comes with floppy drive, hell, i havent seen one in ages)

    came back home, dig out my old CD collection and found XP installer disk... installed ok, but no drivers.. even compaq site does not have any driver for my lappy model for XP as they are pre-loaded with vista home...

    well.. have to look for vista again.... but now i can surf net and do some work...
    Well, I have this mindset in which businesses in Singapore have to mark up prices to pay for their rent, even if their goods are imported in bulk. I guess I was right about SL Square being the same.

    Our country so LJ one....but I'm going to reserve this grouse and digression for another time.

    With regards to your encounter, I have a few things in mind:

    1. The huge price quote that she has given you probably includes service charge. Then again, maybe it's not true since the price quote is more than double the price of the hard drive.

    2. One chinese lady I spoke to a few years back said SLS offered to help her install Windows XP. She discovered that that copy that they supplied to her was pirated.

    3. My sister's boyfriend got his 160GB hard drive for 100-something bucks. Minus the installation of course.

    4. It seems to me 160GB is the smallest-capacity hard drive that you can find in the Singaporean market today.

    I like to DIY the install of hard disk drives and Windows.
    It's actually just as simple as changing the 4-stroke oil on your bike and adjusting chain slack. But of course, need to get your hands dirty, computer or bike-wise.

    Nowadays, these laptop and PC suppliers like to lock-in the things that the consumer can use. Like yours, they give you disc images of Windows+drivers to do a 1-shot copy em over to your hard drive. IMO I don't like this readymade kind of solution.

    Why not wait for Windows 7? Coming out soon leh. Heard it's got lots of improvements and fixes stuff that Vista users were unhappy about.

    =====

    If you want, you can look for either me or Palmer. Not too sure about Palmer, but my rate for consultation is a hot chocolate with a scoop of ice-cream on top
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  21. #21
    jiasheng
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    eh? Isnt Windows 7 already out? At least out for MSDN subscribers. I think i away from Singapore for too long and god damn oz is slower for every darn thing.

    yea i agree that changing them is kinda easy. but now a days i dont bother self assembling my own pc, just buy everything 1 shot ask the guy assemble not like you gonna save alot anyway.
    Walk a thousand miles.

     

     
  22. #22
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbeacon View Post
    Hey there.

    .
    .
    .
    If you want, you can look for either me or Palmer. Not too sure about Palmer, but my rate for consultation is a hot chocolate with a scoop of ice-cream on top
    i have pm palmer but havent heard from him yet.

    for hot chocolate with ice-cream.. deal... let me know when u r free..
    or are u still in RT ?

  23. #23
    crazydj
    is the Master of Magical Fuel Penguins
    TeePee crazydj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,505
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbeacon View Post
    Hey there.

    I think it's called sATA.

    The last time I've serviced a sATA equipped computer, I'd just simply plug in the sATA hard drive, enter the BIOS and set the boot order, and then forget about the rest. No master/slave configuration to worry about, unlike the older IDE (now called pATA)



    Well, I have this mindset in which businesses in Singapore have to mark up prices to pay for their rent, even if their goods are imported in bulk. I guess I was right about SL Square being the same.

    Our country so LJ one....but I'm going to reserve this grouse and digression for another time.

    With regards to your encounter, I have a few things in mind:

    1. The huge price quote that she has given you probably includes service charge. Then again, maybe it's not true since the price quote is more than double the price of the hard drive.

    2. One chinese lady I spoke to a few years back said SLS offered to help her install Windows XP. She discovered that that copy that they supplied to her was pirated.

    3. My sister's boyfriend got his 160GB hard drive for 100-something bucks. Minus the installation of course.

    4. It seems to me 160GB is the smallest-capacity hard drive that you can find in the Singaporean market today.

    I like to DIY the install of hard disk drives and Windows.
    It's actually just as simple as changing the 4-stroke oil on your bike and adjusting chain slack. But of course, need to get your hands dirty, computer or bike-wise.


    Nowadays, these laptop and PC suppliers like to lock-in the things that the consumer can use. Like yours, they give you disc images of Windows+drivers to do a 1-shot copy em over to your hard drive. IMO I don't like this readymade kind of solution.

    Why not wait for Windows 7? Coming out soon leh. Heard it's got lots of improvements and fixes stuff that Vista users were unhappy about.

    =====

    If you want, you can look for either me or Palmer. Not too sure about Palmer, but my rate for consultation is a hot chocolate with a scoop of ice-cream on top
    I am still familiar with the PATA or IDE configuration. You physically connect the irritating and gigantic ribbon cables and set the jumper settings accordingly. Now its so high tech and all. Last time maximum of 4 devices, sure cannot go wrong one.

    "DIY the install of hard disk drives and Windows."
    It's actually just as simple as changing the 4-stroke oil on your bike and adjusting chain slack." <-- Gosh i have always hated doing this. I rather change EO 4 times rather than do this once. You have to be a patient man and with almost every PC i reformatted or installed new HDDs, i always had problems installing the OS. I really hate windows. At least need more than one time to install. I have never had this problem with ubuntu, xubuntu etc.
    [2005 Yamaha YBR 125]


  24. #24
    kwanheng
    has no status.
    Class 2 kwanheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Toa payoh
    Posts
    1,037
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazydj View Post
    I am still familiar with the PATA or IDE configuration. You physically connect the irritating and gigantic ribbon cables and set the jumper settings accordingly. Now its so high tech and all. Last time maximum of 4 devices, sure cannot go wrong one.

    "DIY the install of hard disk drives and Windows."
    It's actually just as simple as changing the 4-stroke oil on your bike and adjusting chain slack." <-- Gosh i have always hated doing this. I rather change EO 4 times rather than do this once. You have to be a patient man and with almost every PC i reformatted or installed new HDDs, i always had problems installing the OS. I really hate windows. At least need more than one time to install. I have never had this problem with ubuntu, xubuntu etc.
    ... its quite easy to install windows now days
    Class2B>TP on 22 May -Passed
    Class 3>TP on 11 March -Passed
    Class 2A>? start by 2009 may 22
    Class 4>? start by 2009

    I enjoy DIY always can reached 98475561/kwanheng"Jason"

  25. #25
    jiasheng
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    709
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I find it hard to move back to windows after i left the shackles of windows and move into OSX n Linux. It's much more stable an easier to use than windows. At least installing programs doesnt go into the evil area called the registry.
    Walk a thousand miles.

  26. #26
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazydj View Post
    I am still familiar with the PATA or IDE configuration. You physically connect the irritating and gigantic ribbon cables and set the jumper settings accordingly. Now its so high tech and all. Last time maximum of 4 devices, sure cannot go wrong one.
    Don't forget, you've got those irritating power connectors beside those gigantic cables too.

    If I'm not nursing a skin-scratch injury or bruise trying to get these connectors out, I'm slowly wasting 1 to 2 minutes trying to wiggle it free.

    So irritating!
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  27. #27
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    anyone has cicso account ??

    need to download vpn client ..

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...spx#bkmk_cisco

    will treat u kopi and ice cream scoop..

  28. #28
    xiaobanz
    loves riding
    TeePee xiaobanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    1,712
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi guys, anyone have a working vmx configuration file for Mac OS X.. I can't seemed to get MAC to run on my VMware...
    ~ Future Ride ~
    CBR600rr

    ~ Current Drive ~
    Kia Cerato Forte SX 1.6 SJU

    ~ Previous Rides ~
    1. Spark 135 FBA | 2. NSR 150 SP FS | 3. Yamaha x1 FY | 4. Honda s4 verS FP

  29. #29
    chuan.z
    has no status.
    Class 2 chuan.z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SG,SG
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Some anecdotal entertainment for all who can understand the wtf behind the stories: http://thedailywtf.com/
    Personal favourites: CodeSOD and Featured Articles

  30. #30
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuan.z View Post
    Some anecdotal entertainment for all who can understand the wtf behind the stories: http://thedailywtf.com/
    Personal favourites: CodeSOD and Featured Articles
    Mine's "Featured Articles" aka The Helpdesk, and the funny pictorial series called "Error'd"

    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  31. #31
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Today is Boomtime, the 45th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3175


    <ddate> Discordian calendar

     

     
  32. #32
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    Today is Boomtime, the 45th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3175


    <ddate> Discordian calendar
    Bro,

    Transformer language?...I see oso cannot understand
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  33. #33
    chuan.z
    has no status.
    Class 2 chuan.z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SG,SG
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very the cheeeeem... Never encountered this before.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discordian_calendar

  34. #34
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    typo error and found something funny..

    type "ddate" in unix or linux machine and thou shall find...

  35. #35
    chuan.z
    has no status.
    Class 2 chuan.z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SG,SG
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Smokes... that's something new to me again!
    :> ddate
    Today is Pungenday, the 46th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3175
    Btw,
    HP Linux - Yes
    Sun Solaris - No

  36. #36
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ddate = discordian date

    And what is Discordianism y'all say?

    Discordianism is a modern religion centered on the idea that chaos is all that there is, and that disorder and order, the former considered a concept distinct from chaos, are both illusions (referred to, respectively, as the "Eristic" and "Aneristic" illusions) that are imposed on chaos. It was founded circa 1958–1959 by Malaclypse the Younger with the publication of its principal text, the Principia Discordia. There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so to what degree.[1] It has been called "Zen for roundeyes", based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school. Discordianism recognizes chaos, discord, and dissent as valid and desirable qualities, in contrast with most religions, which idealize harmony and order. Eris, the Greek mythological goddess of discord, has also become the matron deity of the religion Discordianism.[2]
    Aka, it's wa pu tong hwa

    ==========

    Anyone here relaxing or slacking away because of your company year end "IT Freeze" period?
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  37. #37
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    and why discordian thingy become one of default function in HP servers ??

    another conspiracy ??

  38. #38
    chuan.z
    has no status.
    Class 2 chuan.z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SG,SG
    Posts
    1,282
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Not HP, but Linux... From the wiki (link above)
    ddate, a program that prints the current date in the Discordian calendar, is part of the util-linux package of basic system utilities. As such, it is included in nearly all Linux distributions, despite some resistance. There are many other programs with similar functionality.

  39. #39
    crazydj
    is the Master of Magical Fuel Penguins
    TeePee crazydj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,505
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Does ddate work on ubuntu terminal?
    [2005 Yamaha YBR 125]


  40. #40
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chuan.z View Post
    Not HP, but Linux... From the wiki (link above)
    okay.. i wonder what are the other programs .. need to google somemore.

  41. #41
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Military purchases 2,200 PS3s
    Posted: 11:14 AM ET

    It seems generous grandmothers aren't the only ones purchasing PlayStation 3 (PS3) consoles this holiday season. The U.S. Dept. of Defense has announced plans to buy an additional 2,200 PS3s to complement a military supercomputer cluster running on 336 PS3 systems.

    The military purchase was likely encouraged by Sony's recent PS3 price cut, which brought the price of a single console down to $299.

    A military justification of review document explains the decision:

    Though a single 3.2 GHz cell processor can deliver over 200 GFLOPS, whereas the Sony PS3 configuration delivers approximately 150 GFLOPS, the approximately tenfold cost difference per GFLOP makes the Sony PS3 the only viable technology for HPC applications.

    According to Ars Technica, Sony sells the PS3 at a loss and hopes to make back the difference by selling games and accessories.

    The reason that the PS3 is a more cost-effective way to buy Cell-powered GFLOPS than, say, the Cell blades that IBM actually makes specifically for supercomputing applications, is that the consoles come with a big, fat subsidy from Sony.

    However, the military isn't likely to purchase any games for these PlayStations. The justification review states the systems will run a proprietary Linux-based operating system, which probably won't be able to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

    Posted by: Wes Finley-Price -- CNN.com Webmaster


     

     
  42. #42
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Megan says: (12:57:45 AM)
    yeah im just a lil bored have off of work today
    http://aaronfairchild.blogspot.com/2...one-night.html

    i met the same bot this morning... lol what a way to start a Monday...

  43. #43
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i'm getting free data plan from starhub.. (by renewing max online contract)

    http://www.starhub.com/broadband/mob...eultimate.html

    any phone / PDA to recommend for user friendly web surfing ??? (except from apple)

  44. #44
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  45. #45
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  46. #46
    redbeacon
    does a double take...
    SBF Moderator redbeacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,101
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    I using Windows 7 leh. Dunno whether this funky shortcut works anot
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

    "Shut up and ride..."

  47. #47
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    having some issue with internet connection at home..

    http://utilities.starhub.com/conexon...StartFrame.jsp

    from cable modem... internet speed is 90Mbps..

    from wireless router.. internet speed is 2.9Mbps..

    i'm using SMC wireless N, status showing 130Mbps... something is terribly gone wrong.. and where is 127Mbps gone ??

    checked the wireless router admin page and i am the only one connection (with security key ofcuz)

    currently.. back to long cable .. direct from cable modem

  48. #48
    lunloon
    is no rike the new layout.
    SBF Phantom Knights lunloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,759
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    having some issue with internet connection at home..

    http://utilities.starhub.com/conexon...StartFrame.jsp

    from cable modem... internet speed is 90Mbps..

    from wireless router.. internet speed is 2.9Mbps..

    i'm using SMC wireless N, status showing 130Mbps... something is terribly gone wrong.. and where is 127Mbps gone ??

    checked the wireless router admin page and i am the only one connection (with security key ofcuz)

    currently.. back to long cable .. direct from cable modem
    i would reset the router, reset your wireless connection on the laptop, and try to reconnect.

    and also, what is the wireless card u using?
    My Rides:
    LuLu, Piaggio Gilera Runner FXR 180 (Feb05-Aug05)
    PhanPhan, Honda Phantom TA 200 (Aug05-July07)
    Leyley, HD Sportster XL1200R (Jul07-July09)
    TiTi, Yamaha Majesty YP250 (Jul07-Oct09)
    DyNaNa, HD FXDX Dyna SGS (Jul09-Dec10)
    LanPaPa, Vespa Excel PX150XE (Oct09-Jul10)
    PiaSekSek, Piaggio X8 (Aug10-Dec10)
    Stixie, Honda ST1300A (Jan11-Nov15)
    Giogio, Piaggio MP3 400IE (Nov15-??)

  49. #49
    kmax
    rides bicycle
    SBF Cruisers kmax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    valle d'or
    Posts
    11,349
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lunloon View Post
    i would reset the router, reset your wireless connection on the laptop, and try to reconnect.

    and also, what is the wireless card u using?
    did so... hard reset.. soft reset.. i am using

    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...d=126&pid=1635



    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...d=117&pid=1694


  50. #50
    lunloon
    is no rike the new layout.
    SBF Phantom Knights lunloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5,759
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmax View Post
    Try changing channels, and play around with the signal type (auto, N, G, B).

    Lastly can always grab SMC support.

    http://www.acctontech.com/v2/index.p...171&Itemid=103
    My Rides:
    LuLu, Piaggio Gilera Runner FXR 180 (Feb05-Aug05)
    PhanPhan, Honda Phantom TA 200 (Aug05-July07)
    Leyley, HD Sportster XL1200R (Jul07-July09)
    TiTi, Yamaha Majesty YP250 (Jul07-Oct09)
    DyNaNa, HD FXDX Dyna SGS (Jul09-Dec10)
    LanPaPa, Vespa Excel PX150XE (Oct09-Jul10)
    PiaSekSek, Piaggio X8 (Aug10-Dec10)
    Stixie, Honda ST1300A (Jan11-Nov15)
    Giogio, Piaggio MP3 400IE (Nov15-??)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •