User Tag List

Thread: [DIY] Get rid of that infamous TICK TICK noise!

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default [DIY] Get rid of that infamous TICK TICK noise!

The infamous TICK TICK noise known amongst Phantom riders: The Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT). Its a small little component that keeps the cam chain tension at all engine speeds to maintain proper timing for the valves. If this goes wrong, goodbye to your valvetrain and even ur piston if unlucky.

So once you hear this TICK TICK noise when idling, get it changed! If you need to save every cent you have and don' mind getting dirty (like me: poor student! ), then purchase it from spare parts shop like Everfit, Eversuccess, FJT, Chong Aik, etc. I got mine from Eversuccess for $42 w/o gasket (my gasket is still in good condition). Cux i read from the other thread that Planet charges abt $60?

So tools you will need:
    1) 10mm spanner
    2) 5mm Allen Key
    3) Cleaner (Carb or contact cleaner will do)
    4) Paper towels

1) First we need to remove the starter motor. Remove the starter motor lead cable, on top of the starter motor. (10mm nut) Keep track of the washers. (More accessible from LHS of bike)

2) Remove the 2 mounting bolts (RHS of bike). NOTE: The left mounting bolt has a Earth lead under it. Remember to reinstall it when reassembling)

3) Pull out the starter motor, might be a little hard, so a LIGHT tap from the LHS might get it out.

4) Remove the 2 Allen bolts holding the CCT.

5) Clean and prepare the new surface. Check that your gasket is not torn if you are re-using.

6) I know that yellow little plastic tab looks nice to pull out: DON'T! its to hold the tensioner back so you can install it easier. If it does come out, insert the key back, and wind it up clockwise to pull back the tensioner.

7) Reinstall, tighten properly (NOT TOO TIGHT!), pull the plastic tab and clean up the area. Reinstall the starter motor, and check all connections and bolts before starting the engine.

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!
    A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200
    2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Wow! Thats awesome and real techie stuff. Good job
    May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2
    Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200
    Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3
    Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

easier than it looks. jux wanted to share wif the fellow riders so that they get to know their bikes even more. hope to post for DIY tutorials in the future.

osxunix
    love his Honda!
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naim View Post
    easier than it looks. jux wanted to share wif the fellow riders so that they get to know their bikes even more. hope to post for DIY tutorials in the future.
    Learn something today. Thks

CSV
    has restored the IMPULSE!!!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

nice one!!!!

your bike got the tick tick sound?

i don't know how to differentiate the sound leh. is it a very obvious tick?
    February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200
    March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400
    Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

Kev's
    tendered for resignation as a
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good job!

Stickied a copy on top.
    我们都在不断赶路 忘记了出路 在失望中追求偶尔的满足

Disclaimer:

The above information is obtained from third party sources for which I assume no responsibility.
    While there is no reason to believe that the information is unreliable, no liability is accepted for any errors or inaccuracies.™®©

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CSV View Post
    nice one!!!!

your bike got the tick tick sound?

i don't know how to differentiate the sound leh. is it a very obvious tick?
    Yup. Its quite obvious. Definitely doesnt sound ryt. Mine was quite bad. More like a rattling sound sumtyms. Sry i didnt record it.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev's View Post
    Good job!

Stickied a copy on top.
    Thanks!

xavez
    on a Black Steed
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice DIY guide

fiz_ism
    fantum
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If CCT is worn off, bike produces rattling sound when you move off? Cos my bike got this rattling sound only after I overhaul my bike. Before that, don't have that sound.

Metalfyre
    lose to
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well done guide furnished with pictures! Just feel I need to add that if you're taking your engine apart for any reason, replacing the gaskets is the safer thing to do. If you know how gaskets work and what they are for, you'll know what I mean. For this procedure, since you're only opening one part, you could just get that particular gasket; it shouldn't cost much and would definitely be cheaper than handling the consequences of leaking EO.

Just my 2cents.
    Postman Eating Inc*

Squid defination: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squid

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiz_ism View Post
    If CCT is worn off, bike produces rattling sound when you move off? Cos my bike got this rattling sound only after I overhaul my bike. Before that, don't have that sound.
    if it only creates the noise when moving off, i wud eliminate the engine. cud be the gearbox or ur drivetrain. i wud check ur chain slack 1st. FYI, cam chain noise can be heard when idling or when u rev n suddenly release the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfyre View Post
    Well done guide furnished with pictures! Just feel I need to add that if you're taking your engine apart for any reason, replacing the gaskets is the safer thing to do. If you know how gaskets work and what they are for, you'll know what I mean. For this procedure, since you're only opening one part, you could just get that particular gasket; it shouldn't cost much and would definitely be cheaper than handling the consequences of leaking EO.

Just my 2cents.
    i'd agree with u! seeing hw cheap gaskets are, it wud be gd to replace it. for me, the gasket on it wasn't the paper type, so it was in good condition. so didnt buy a new one.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiz_ism View Post
    if it only creates the noise when moving off, i wud eliminate the engine. cud be the gearbox or ur drivetrain. i wud check ur chain slack 1st. FYI, cam chain noise can be heard when idling or when u rev n suddenly release the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfyre View Post

Just my 2cents.
    i'd agree with u! seeing hw cheap gaskets are, it wud be gd to replace it. for me, the gasket on it wasn't the paper type, so it was in good condition. so didnt buy a new one.

mattczy
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The infamous TICK TICK noise known amongst Phantom riders: The Cam Chain Tensioner (CCT). Its a small little component that keeps the cam chain tension at all engine speeds to maintain proper timing for the valves. If this goes wrong, goodbye to your valvetrain and even ur piston if unlucky.

So once you hear this TICK TICK noise when idling, get it changed! If you need to save every cent you have and don' mind getting dirty (like me: poor student! ), then purchase it from spare parts shop like Everfit, Eversuccess, FJT, Chong Aik, etc. I got mine from Eversuccess for $42 w/o gasket (my gasket is still in good condition). Cux i read from the other thread that Planet charges abt $60?

So tools you will need:
    1) 10mm spanner
    2) 5mm Allen Key
    3) Cleaner (Carb or contact cleaner will do)
    4) Paper towels

1) First we need to remove the starter motor. Remove the starter motor lead cable, on top of the starter motor. (10mm nut) Keep track of the washers. (More accessible from LHS of bike)

2) Remove the 2 mounting bolts (RHS of bike). NOTE: The left mounting bolt has a Earth lead under it. Remember to reinstall it when reassembling)

3) Pull out the starter motor, might be a little hard, so a LIGHT tap from the LHS might get it out.

4) Remove the 2 Allen bolts holding the CCT.

5) Clean and prepare the new surface. Check that your gasket is not torn if you are re-using.

6) I know that yellow little plastic tab looks nice to pull out: DON'T! its to hold the tensioner back so you can install it easier. If it does come out, insert the key back, and wind it up clockwise to pull back the tensioner.

7) Reinstall, tighten properly (NOT TOO TIGHT!), pull the plastic tab and clean up the area. Reinstall the starter motor, and check all connections and bolts before starting the engine.

HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!

hi bro , my bike has some noise also . im not sure if its the same issue as yours . but when i off the engine already still got abit of tick tick noise . is it the same ??

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

check out this video guys. realised i actually recorded the noise when it happened to be over a year back. i suspect the shop didnt change out the CCT, since after checking, more like FORCEFULLY adjusted only. RIPOFF!

http://youtu.be/Ekx4HwWuQRE

*note the noise is mostly after letting off the throttle/idling. anyway, if the noise is a quiet tick tick after engine shutdown, its just the exhaust contracting since its very hot. nothing to worry.

mattczy
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out this video guys. realised i actually recorded the noise when it happened to be over a year back. i suspect the shop didnt change out the CCT, since after checking, more like FORCEFULLY adjusted only. RIPOFF!

http://youtu.be/Ekx4HwWuQRE

*note the noise is mostly after letting off the throttle/idling. anyway, if the noise is a quiet tick tick after engine shutdown, its just the exhaust contracting since its very hot. nothing to worry.
    the tick tick noise is more of a tap tap noise right ? i dont have that haha , but i do have backfire :\

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

dats good. if its frequent backfire cud jux be ur carb tuning. get a workshop to tune it properly.

mattczy
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the backfire occurs when i suddenly close my throttle , around how much will the tuning cost ? and do you have and recommended mechs ?

ezzyoiler
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mattczy View Post
    the backfire occurs when i suddenly close my throttle , around how much will the tuning cost ? and do you have and recommended mechs ?
    free..5 second job.
    i love my ezzyoiler
    experience the miracle...
    where chain cleaning is history...
    call 91797182..

fiz_ism
    fantum
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wah. the tapping/ tick tick sound quite obvious ah.

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Bro @naim, need some advice from you about this cam chain thing. I am currently riding a Bajaj Pulsar and the mech told me last time that the cam chain is loose so need to change. I can hear a very very faint rattle of the cam chain at idling only when I am really paying attention, but after riding for a while and the engine is warmed up can hear the cam chain a little more louder but its definitely not irritating.

The labour for replacing the cam chain is almost same as doing a top overhaul(100$ for cam chain replacement and 150$ for doing top overhaul). I am trying to figure out how long can I live with this issue without causing any permanent damage to the engine. I dont want to do a top overhaul as long as the its only rattling and it wont kill the engine. Is there any stop gap solution? Right now I am running really overgeared sprocket ratios so that I dont strain the engine, I ride at max 90kms/hr@6000 rpm. But most of the time I stay around 4000 rpm. Is there anything else I can do to avoid the overhaul?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by revhappy; 07-06-2012 at 04:33 AM.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
    Bro @naim, need some advice from you about this cam chain thing. I am currently riding a Bajaj Pulsar and the mech told me last time that the cam chain is loose so need to change. I can hear a very very faint rattle of the cam chain at idling only when I am really paying attention, but after riding for a while and the engine is warmed up can hear the cam chain a little more louder but its definitely not irritating.

The labour for replacing the cam chain is almost same as doing a top overhaul(100$ for cam chain replacement and 150$ for doing top overhaul). I am trying to figure out how long can I live with this issue without causing any permanent damage to the engine. I dont want to do a top overhaul as long as the its only rattling and it wont kill the engine. Is there any stop gap solution? Right now I am running really overgeared sprocket ratios so that I dont strain the engine, I ride at max 90kms/hr@6000 rpm. But most of the time I stay around 4000 rpm. Is there anything else I can do to avoid the overhaul?

Thanks in advance!
    have u tried changing the tensioner? cux it will be cheaper and doesnt require opening up the engine. its possible that ur tensioner is jammed and no longer applying tension to the cam chain. dats the cheaper option for now.

if only idling, maybe not so bad. if at higher revs, running the cam chain loose is a little risky. if it skips and jumps on the sproceket teeth on ur flywheel/camshaft, ur timing can go oddly wrong and kill the engine as well, even though it didnt break.

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

have u tried changing the tensioner? cux it will be cheaper and doesnt require opening up the engine. its possible that ur tensioner is jammed and no longer applying tension to the cam chain. dats the cheaper option for now.

if only idling, maybe not so bad. if at higher revs, running the cam chain loose is a little risky. if it skips and jumps on the sproceket teeth on ur flywheel/camshaft, ur timing can go oddly wrong and kill the engine as well, even though it didnt break.
    Thanks, i asked the mech whether changing tensioner will help, he said no. The mech was able to inspect the lower end of the cam chain when he opened right side crank case cove to replace the clutch plates. He mentioned cam chain is worn and also the chain guide too is worn.

Actually I had brought all the engine parts with me from India including the cam chain, tensioner, valves valve sleeves, rocker arms, block piston assembly and wanted to do the top overhaul, but after hearing the labour for top overhaul which is more than the cost of the engine parts I decided not to do. I have sold off the engine parts already so now just hoping that the bike doesn'tgive any engine issues.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
    Thanks, i asked the mech whether changing tensioner will help, he said no. The mech was able to inspect the lower end of the cam chain when he opened right side crank case cove to replace the clutch plates. He mentioned cam chain is worn and also the chain guide too is worn.

Actually I had brought all the engine parts with me from India including the cam chain, tensioner, valves valve sleeves, rocker arms, block piston assembly and wanted to do the top overhaul, but after hearing the labour for top overhaul which is more than the cost of the engine parts I decided not to do. I have sold off the engine parts already so now just hoping that the bike doesn'tgive any engine issues.
    weird. the only way to inspect a cam chain is to remove it and compare it to see how it has stretched compared to the original. not sure hw he deduce that its worn jux by looking. if i were you, i would go ahead and jux replace the tensioner (should not cost much right? nt sure abt bajaj parts pricing) and see how. if it works, then good for u. if not, at least u jux hv to replace the chain n guide.

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

weird. the only way to inspect a cam chain is to remove it and compare it to see how it has stretched compared to the original. not sure hw he deduce that its worn jux by looking. if i were you, i would go ahead and jux replace the tensioner (should not cost much right? nt sure abt bajaj parts pricing) and see how. if it works, then good for u. if not, at least u jux hv to replace the chain n guide.
    Thanks bro, yeah, will try replacing the tensioner.

wwen.eric
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My phantom seems to be having this tick tick sound D: Any idea how much will it cost to get it changed and at which workshop? Thanks!

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

$60 at planet motor

wwen.eric
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot!

Strawberrydonut
    Yum yum :D
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

hi naim mind if i ask can this issue be resolved for pulsar too? coz my bike when idling got the tick tick sound,mech told me can last another 3 months at least stating around 200 plus for repairs,so was just wondering do u DIY or go to a specific reliable shop?

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberrydonut View Post
    hi naim mind if i ask can this issue be resolved for pulsar too? coz my bike when idling got the tick tick sound,mech told me can last another 3 months at least stating around 200 plus for repairs,so was just wondering do u DIY or go to a specific reliable shop?
    i tink u better ask bro @revhappy (see above posts). he had the same issue wif his pulsar. not sure whether he has fixed it yet or not. btw pulsar parts i tink u die2 still hv to go to agent. u cant buy them from parts dealers i tink.

osxunix
    love his Honda!
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Naim, I print out your DIY guide and fix my tick tick sound in 2 hour it had been 1 week and no more sound.

Thank you very much.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by osxunix View Post
    Hi Naim, I print out your DIY guide and fix my tick tick sound in 2 hour it had been 1 week and no more sound.

Thank you very much.
    glad to hear my efforts have helped a fellow rider!

popiah
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro Naim,

I m not sure if I m having the similar problem. I just got my phantom a week ago and now I can hear some weird sound while riding. It sounds like a loosen part of metal in the oil tank or in somewhere in the engine. The sound is obvious when I travel at the highest gear at about 80-90kph. It sounds the same when I release the throttle at that speed.

Was doubting if something was spoiled/shaky/flimsy until I saw your post here and listened your recorded sound on YouTube. I find your posted sound resembles a bit of mine.

Appreciate your comments. Thanks.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If the noise appears wen u r riding, it sounds a little bad. Cux usually CCT issues are more apparent wen idling. I suggest u bring it to a shop to check. The cheapest one is chg d CCT first. If still hv dat prob, probably ur cam chain is stretched too much n requires replacement.

Loud ticking noise can also come from improper valve clearances. Nt sure Hw to differentiate them as i hv yet to hear it wif my own ears.

wwen.eric
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just changed the CCT, sound is gone when idling, but now realize something new.. I have the loosen metal sound when I throttle, confirm not ticking sound but more of a loosen metal sound.. Still trying to identify where the sound is coming from though.. Hope it isn't a big problem..

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Check all d screws n bolts first. Maybe some loose.

davidjw
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi, i have slight ting ting noises when moving... does that counts? on idling, there's no ting ting noise.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidjw View Post
    hi, i have slight ting ting noises when moving... does that counts? on idling, there's no ting ting noise.
    u nd to trace where the noise comes from 1st. there is so many things that can create noises. try revving the engine wen stationary. if no noise, then cfm its not coming from the engine. when on the move, bend down on both sides and try to see where the noise comes from (do it in a safe place of course e.g. carpark wif not many cars).

p1auge
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,
    im new here and its my first time owning a bike
    bought a ta200 not long ago.

I realise that there is a weird sound/feeling when I'm on gear 5. it sounds like... the piston is very "dry".. I know the sound didnt came out of the engine, more like somewhere from the spocket or chain,etc...
    Did went to change engine oil and mechanic commented that the bike engine condition is good... but he prolly didnt ride up to 80-90km/h to hear that sound.

anyone got any clue about this? I dont want to keep skipping my 5th gear...

ezzyoiler
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p1auge View Post
    Hi all,
    im new here and its my first time owning a bike
    bought a ta200 not long ago.

I realise that there is a weird sound/feeling when I'm on gear 5. it sounds like... the piston is very "dry".. I know the sound didnt came out of the engine, more like somewhere from the spocket or chain,etc...
    Did went to change engine oil and mechanic commented that the bike engine condition is good... but he prolly didnt ride up to 80-90km/h to hear that sound.

anyone got any clue about this? I dont want to keep skipping my 5th gear...
    have you checked your chains? is it time for a cleaning and oiling session..tensioning...or need replacement..
    i love my ezzyoiler
    experience the miracle...
    where chain cleaning is history...
    call 91797182..

p1auge
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ezzyoiler View Post
    have you checked your chains? is it time for a cleaning and oiling session..tensioning...or need replacement..
    yes. i did went to a mechanic to tighten and oil the chain. he said that the chain isnt good.

but its weird to think that when the chain isnt good, it affects only gear 5 right?

baka88
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the good share !!!

wdwflash
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good many of the used Phantoms that have been imported in the last year or so into Cambodia have had a nut welded onto the end of the tensioner. This takes up the slack in a worn chain, but is a cheap/bad repair.

wdwflash
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welded nut on end of tensioner. Cheap/bad repair
    Attached Images Attached Images