Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default [Discussion] Riding Gear

Dear PKs, as i've not seen any thread regarding what riding gears we phantom riders don, i hope i can start a new thread to it. We can discuss what kind of apparels and gear we wore while riding, either in SG or when touring. Personally for me, its best to wear jeans when riding to protect from engine heat and hot water splashing off the engine area. And jackets is a must on long distance riding or where passing by dusty area. I'm planning to venture out of SG next year as well, as such, any recommended riding protection? Like shoes, gloves and jacket? I've seen quite alot of videos of riders in remote areas skid and buang, most with proper protection and went home without a scratch. Others just a typical long sleeve shirt and jeans and suffered bad road rashes, some even shoes flew off.
    2B - 29 December 2010, one time pass
    2A - On going...

4 May 2011 to August 2011 - Honda NSR150SP
    21 July 2012 - Honda Phantom TA200

http://thrumylensontwowheels.blogspot.sg/

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Silent Hunter
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If want cheap cheap budget one, get Army mechanic steel toe boots using credit.
    Get cheap cheap 108 gloves. (But the gloves colour WILL run and dye your hands dark blue when wet.) $20
    Jacket get the breathable mesh ones about $100-$150
    Wear jean with the SSDC knee guard and elbow guard. Free!
    Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Spark_135
    is a phantom biker
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    If want cheap cheap budget one, get Army mechanic steel toe boots using credit.
    Get cheap cheap 108 gloves. (But the gloves colour WILL run and dye your hands dark blue when wet.) $20
    Jacket get the breathable mesh ones about $100-$150
    Wear jean with the SSDC knee guard and elbow guard. Free!
    Lol i ever tried wearing even the army boots to ride. But toe area is too big and affected my gear shifting and most importantly, braking. Can easily get my boots stuck and result in skidding, very dangerous.
    2A - On going...

Nikon D5000 | AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5 - 5.6G VR | Vitacon 67mm UV Filter | Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash | Yongnuo Speedlight YN560

Silent Hunter
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I tried before, takes a few days to get used to it.

You saw recon bikers in Number 4 riding on the roads before? They all ride in Army boots.
    Motorcyclist are the nicest people on the road, try not to kill us.

Spark_135
    is a phantom biker
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
    I tried before, takes a few days to get used to it.

You saw recon bikers in Number 4 riding on the roads before? They all ride in Army boots.
    Yeap and MP riders too. Yeah takes quite a lot of time to get used to it. But the difference between the boots and normal shoes is alot. Haha it can be a challenge to wear boots straight on for days then switch back to shoes. Just wondering, riding shoes also same thing?
    2A - On going...

Siphon
    is a ridiver
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think steel toes might injure your toes in case u .... It's meant for top impact... Not roll impact... Try running in a pair of steel toes and u'll get what I mean...

The usual combat boots are much better for riding than those steel toes... But I think the newer generation one is no longer goretex material... So u need to put a lot of kiwi to make them water resistant ...

Mamduh
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel toes are rather bulky and make it difficult for gear changing. Normal boots should be fine. If going out of Sg try getting earplugs (20 decibels at farmacies). It blocks the trafic and engine noise yet you can clearly hear the horns. It made my trip to Kota Ting really enjoyable.
    I just love the looks, feel and sound of an old good Guzzi, though it has been around since the time of my Grandfather. I guess "they" don't do things like that anymore! Well it's not true.
    "They" still do URALS

RTL
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, didn't manage to get any answers in my previous thread regarding safety gear.
    I'm comparing some local deals against Singapore prices and was wondering what are the basics needed in tropical weather since I rarely see anyone using protection in Singapore.
    Are armoured mesh jackets waterproof or able to be stored in a pannier? Do people keep multiple jackets/race suits for sunny/rainy weather?

chinhua
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me Army boots for the past 9 years and now on my 3rd pair never wet even in heavy rain and feel very safe too. Armoured Mesh Jacket with Arai rain coat in box, leather gloves with nuckle and palm protection. Now planning to get an armoured pants for touring purpose.