CSV
    has restored the IMPULSE!!!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mechwira View Post
    since every review says the 390 identical in looks and size to the 200, in fact i believe it uses the exact same body to house the bigger engine, i decided to get a close look at the 200 to decide once and for all whether i wanted the duke or just go ahead with the ninja.

the minute i sat on the 200, everything just felt wrong. its probably just me and not the bike itself, especially since i was on a cbr600 for the past 8 years.

an upright sitting posture i was already expecting, but the strangeness for me was more than that. the bike felt too tiny in front of my crotch, too skinny between my legs, and add that to the scrambler-like posture... dont say 2b bike, it felt like i was on a bmx bicycle about to do stunts on a ramp in some bike park. i didn have the confidence to ride this bike, its just not for me. i have to say though, i am not big-sized (1.68m tall) and even sitting on a cb400 or hornet250 did not make me feel as strange as i did on the duke.

but like i said, its probably just me. anyone upgrading from a 2b roadster like CBF or YBR or wateva, i think you'll instantly feel like you haven changed bike (until you throttle it on the road obviously).

but once i sat on the ninja300, everything felt instantly familiar and natural. sitting on them one after another, i knew that the ninja will give me the same confidence to ride the way i know, but the duke is going to take quite a bit of adjustment. but even if i get used to riding the duke, i dont think i'll be happy being on a bike with such tiny proportions.

as such, i placed a deposit for the ninja. yes i'm feeling kinda crappy to skip a bike that will surely outperform the ninja, but ultimately i cant place good money on a bike that i'm not sure will make me happy, and i know that performance is not the only thing that makes me a happy rider.

potential buyers should really, really sit on that bike first and think about it.
    i think end of the day, it comes down to preference. some people like to lean forward, others like to be more upright.

you've been riding the cbr so it's only natural for you to prefer the Ninja. nothing wrong with that though, it is a solid bike with some nice features. ABS, Slipper clutch etc. i like the looks as well.

i've been riding standard bikes for quite some time so i naturally prefer the upright posture, plus, i dont think my wrist or back can handle being leaned over for extended periods.

but yeah, seems like the 390 is just a 390cc engine in the Duke 200 frame.
    February 2011 - March 2012 = Phantom TA 200
    March 2012 - August 2013 = Suzuki Impulse 400
    Present = BMW (Bus, MRT, Walk)

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Honda is launching the CBR400 in India, may be this bike will also come to Singapore, but not sure when.
    But if and when it comes, it will be a good option

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/honda...-cbr400-range/
    May '10 - Jun '11 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG2
    Jul '11 - Jan '12 : Honda Phantom TA200
    Feb '12 - Jul '12 : Bajaj Pulsar 180 DTSi UG3
    Aug '12 - Current : Bajaj Pulsar 200 DTSi

link
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant wait for the duke to arrive. Do they provide test ride?

keyxblade
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by link View Post
    Cant wait for the duke to arrive. Do they provide test ride?
    I saw 1 park outside CDC few days ago. it look exactly like duke 125 except it has bigger engine and the label is duke 390

keyxblade
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keyxblade View Post
    I saw 1 park outside CDC few days ago. it look exactly like duke 125 except it has bigger engine and the label is duke 390
    sorry i remember wrongly. it should be a duke 200

shinoda86
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets pray that this duke 390 reaches our shores by end of june!!!

link
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will, i called to check already. Test ride will well be on the way as well/\,

aiaichip
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant wait to test the bike!

My Rides

2007 - Current
    Honda CB400 VtecIII
    2003-2007
    Yamaha RXZ 135cc

thechosenx
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hated the looks from the KTM 200 (Sorry) and always "smile" when i see a KTM 125/200 rider.

But WOW! KTM 390 specs are looking great! I would consider changing once it's out. 43HP, single cylinder it's good stuff, ABS and Metzeler M5 comes in standard.

neojava
    o.o
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wonder how it looks with a rearbox.. does it spoil the look ?

jjongkp
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates to this thread? Anyone test ride one yet? What does it cost OTR?

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the bike like becoming a joke leh. non-existent imaginary bike. i think its not dirtwheel's fault, it seems the problem is at its source. this had been my original first option for downgrade, and i'm glad i didn wait for its release to make my decision.

the bike has only arrived in India showrooms and nowhere else in the world. strangely even though its in India showrooms, a search on the net does not reveal anyone who has actually bought the bike. not that nobody wants to, it seems beyond the showroom display there isn any available for purchase.

something very strange is going on. at first KTM insisted on taking back every Duke390 to repaint the rims orange because they didn like the black that it came with. now some sites claim the india factory manufacturing the duke390 parts has an indefinite strike.

bottomline: nobody has seen this bike outside of india and people are beginning to give up waiting and exploring other options.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-double post-

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

jjongkp
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe KTM was just testing the market interest? I'm actually considering it as an upgrade option!!

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out the following news:

KTM/Bajaj claims production unaffected by strike, but production has slowed:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/ktm-390-duk...183000557.html

and delivery to India only to begin end september, heaven knows when the rest of the world will receive them

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5029383.ece

and apparently KTM CEO claims the bike will only arrive in USA in 2014. you have to wonder if this applies everywhere else outside of India.

usually a 2013 bike is released in 2012. for the first time, i see a 2013 bike released one year later.

jjongkp
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're quite right. Makes me wonder if there will be quality issues even when they do start to ship...

yogi
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the bike like becoming a joke leh. non-existent imaginary bike. i think its not dirtwheel's fault, it seems the problem is at its source. this had been my original first option for downgrade, and i'm glad i didn wait for its release to make my decision.

the bike has only arrived in India showrooms and nowhere else in the world. strangely even though its in India showrooms, a search on the net does not reveal anyone who has actually bought the bike. not that nobody wants to, it seems beyond the showroom display there isn any available for purchase.

something very strange is going on. at first KTM insisted on taking back every Duke390 to repaint the rims orange because they didn like the black that it came with. now some sites claim the india factory manufacturing the duke390 parts has an indefinite strike.

bottomline: nobody has seen this bike outside of india and people are beginning to give up waiting and exploring other options.
    actually the bike is available for viewing (& test ride) at the dealer... (unless something has happened over the last couple of weeks)

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    actually the bike is available for viewing (& test ride) at the dealer... (unless something has happened over the last couple of weeks)
    ok, i stand corrected about the bike's existence.

nonetheless, nowhere in the world is this bike available for purchase.

dogfish
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So right now it's only pre-order?

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

and apparently KTM CEO claims the bike will only arrive in USA in 2014. you have to wonder if this applies everywhere else outside of India.

usually a 2013 bike is released in 2012. for the first time, i see a 2013 bike released one year later.
    This bike was launched 1st in Singapore, before India. The Singapore pricing was out, much before India pricing.

http://worldrapid.com/ktm-duke-390-l...and-specs.html

Delivery wise too, Singapore delivery should happen before India delivery.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, well apparently 'launched' and 'delivered' dont mean the same thing. launched seems to mean available for order, and i know dirtwheel is taking pre-order coz they told me so.

has anyone who ordered the bike actually received it? coz a search on the net shows nobody in the world has actually received this bike.

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorc...st-week-73174/

According to this article India delivery is expected in September last week. I am sure the Singapore delivery batch from the factory would have already been underway, but it may be stuck somewhere in the customs, lta clearance etc.

I remember the Pulsar 200NS too had some 6 months delay, compared to the expected delivery date. These new bikes always get delayed.
    Last edited by revhappy; 20-08-2013 at 05:32 PM.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bro, you're not getting it: this is a GLOBAL delay. everybody around the world, from US to Europe to India itself, has been waiting for delivery of this bike for months now. KTM has a global pre-booking list of 1,500 and none of them has been delivered. this isn an issue of stuck in singapore customs.

and the idea that these new bikes 'always' get delayed? not really, unless apparently it involves bajaj....

dogfish
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just spoke to Dirtwheel on the phone anyway. Sounds like it will be at least another month before a)the bikes are in Singapore or b) we get a new timing on how long it will be delayed.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    Just spoke to Dirtwheel on the phone anyway. Sounds like it will be at least another month before a)the bikes are in Singapore or b) we get a new timing on how long it will be delayed.
    disappointing right?

and i think this response is optimistic because even in India today apparently the dealers are cautioning pre-bookings with a three-month waiting period.

i mean i last enquired in june and was told pre-bookings open and ETA July. had i decided to take it up, i'd still be waiting by now until at least september. and honestly i almost did, until i changed my mind and got a ninja for reasons unrelated to this delay.

last i read, at this point in time all Duke390s produced by Bajaj are just on the way to KTM HQ in Austria, and only after this QC in Austria will they be sent to dealers worldwide.

KTM shouldn 'launch' the bike in showrooms and take pre-order unless they can confirm an arrival date. At least in USA they flat out say wont arrive until 2014. disappointing for US fans, but fair play nonetheless.

dogfish
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. But it really is a very easy bike to ride.I popped over to their showroom just a half hour ago to try. I have a 2A license, but my riding experience is totally in the learning center and almost 3 years ago at that, so i was a bit worried i'd just fall over before i even turned the throttle.

normad
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.bestbikes.sg/#!coming-soon/c1thw

looks like they might have them soon.

normad
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.bestbikes.sg/#!coming-soon/c1thw

looks like they might have them soon.

Baal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KTM shouldn 'launch' the bike in showrooms and take pre-order unless they can confirm an arrival date. At least in USA they flat out say wont arrive until 2014. disappointing for US fans, but fair play nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

Countries like those I believe have a lot of consumer rights. So businesses have to be cautious.
    1997 TZR 125 - 1998 FZ 150 - 1999 GSXR 400K - 1999 RX 100 - 2000 LC 125 - 2001 TZR 125 - 2002 CB 400 Ver S - 2006 CBR 929 - 2006 GETZ 1.4 - 2009 STEED 400 - 2016 ???

Riders ride to work. Drivers work to drive.

Jenfjnifer
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reviews i read about the duke is very positive.

Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fact that there's a strike over wages and made in India tells me that whoever are gonna buy that bike, don't expect a high quality one or one without a high number of defects. Covering up is one way of keeping it mum so not many will know. The price they are selling here would still be KTM expensive but not too certain about the build quality.

rik_ricky
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ktm390

Hi bro, I had check out with our Spore dealer(as I am also interested) that the shipping suppose to arrived in August but delay to Sept.

Cheers

Ricky

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rik_ricky View Post
    Hi bro, I had check out with our Spore dealer(as I am also interested) that the shipping suppose to arrived in August but delay to Sept.

Cheers

Ricky
    yeah?

i inquired in april, was told ETA june.

in june i was ready to buy if happy after viewing, was told delayed to july but pre-orders open, and New Paper at that time claimed twenty-plus pre-orders already made.

you say supposed to arrive in August but delayed to september.

well its september now, so where is it?

again, its not a problem with our local dealer. its KTM. go ahead do an internet search on Duke 390 owners. all you'll find is an article about Shah Rukh Khan handing over the keys to the 'first five owners of Duke 390'. but nobody else has taken delivery and become an actual owner. not in India where its made, not in Europe where its supposedly in final QC before delivery, and not in Southeast Asia or Australia where pre-orders have been made and dealers have no idea when it will actually arrive. in fact i read somewhere Australia dealers have been told by KTM that first batch of delivery will be less than confirmed pre-orders in their region, and even that with no confirmed date still.

Baal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah?

i inquired in april, was told ETA june.

in june i was ready to buy if happy after viewing, was told delayed to july but pre-orders open, and New Paper at that time claimed twenty-plus pre-orders already made.

you say supposed to arrive in August but delayed to september.

well its september now, so where is it?

again, its not a problem with our local dealer. its KTM. go ahead do an internet search on Duke 390 owners. all you'll find is an article about Shah Rukh Khan handing over the keys to the 'first five owners of Duke 390'. but nobody else has taken delivery and become an actual owner. not in India where its made, not in Europe where its supposedly in final QC before delivery, and not in Southeast Asia or Australia where pre-orders have been made and dealers have no idea when it will actually arrive. in fact i read somewhere Australia dealers have been told by KTM that first batch of delivery will be less than confirmed pre-orders in their region, and even that with no confirmed date still.

biggest joke will be if the Bajaj 375 comes to SG 1st. haha

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quality issues can happen to any bike. Even the Ninja 300 has some recalls, read this:
    http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-64762.html

KTM 390 in India is priced at half, yes read it again HALF of ninja 300 price. So at that price point its a great bike and worth waiting for.

Baal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
    Fact that there's a strike over wages and made in India tells me that whoever are gonna buy that bike, don't expect a high quality one or one without a high number of defects. Covering up is one way of keeping it mum so not many will know. The price they are selling here would still be KTM expensive but not too certain about the build quality.
    add that the rupee is plummeting.....India in the current or previous report on corruption tops the list.....whilst quality issues can occur to any brand, consumers should also look at the frequency of occurrence and the company's efficiency / sincerity towards their levels of service recovery.
    1997 TZR 125 - 1998 FZ 150 - 1999 GSXR 400K - 1999 RX 100 - 2000 LC 125 - 2001 TZR 125 - 2002 CB 400 Ver S - 2006 CBR 929 - 2006 GETZ 1.4 - 2009 STEED 400 - 2016 ???

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
    Quality issues can happen to any bike. Even the Ninja 300 has some recalls, read this:
    http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...ery-64762.html

KTM 390 in India is priced at half, yes read it again HALF of ninja 300 price. So at that price point its a great bike and worth waiting for.
    dirtwheel already publish the price minus COE and insurance as S$11.9k. against the ninja's 12k machine. wat does it matter about the prices in India if down here the price is nearly the same and not half?

besides, i think the bike wont have issues. i think ktm is reputable. the joke isn the quality. the joke is the deposit for pre-order and then wait long long all dealers also donno when will arrive.

Baal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dirtwheel already publish the price minus COE and insurance as S$11.9k. against the ninja's 12k machine. wat does it matter about the prices in India if down here the price is nearly the same and not half?

besides, i think the bike wont have issues. i think ktm is reputable. the joke isn the quality. the joke is the deposit for pre-order and then wait long long all dealers also donno when will arrive.
    the mark up in SG is brutal due to cost of living/businesses. Further, the "next" level private personal transport via vehicle ownership will be cars. We know how cars cost here....the dealers know it well......so mark up accdly. Following the theory of how new HDB flats pricing are somewat pegged to resale flat prices in the vicinity.

Btw, bro, Machine price of 12k for ninja 300, How do we define ( breakdown) bike machine price in SG? is Machine price (Selling price from Kawa) + (10% import tax on the former) + (auth dealer's profit) ? Thanks

Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KTM is reputable, KTM built in India I have my doubts. I guess they sell it that high because they want to milk as much profits as possible. The kawa is made in Thailand tho

Baal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found it from : http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb...-scooters.html

Registration Fee (RF)
    S$140

Additional Registration Fee (ARF)
    15% of OMV

Certificate of Entitlement (COE)
    Bid in Category D or E*

Excise Duty
    12% of OMV

in view of the above, the total gov tax is 27% of OMV. Hence with reverse calculation using the price u see in Honda Jp site (OMV) with ref to the so called machine price in SG, you will be able to see the profit margin of the dealer.

revhappy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah, Kawa is made in Thailand and imported into India and the import duty causes the price to go almost double. Duke 390 is a local product and definitely a terrific value for money.

For Singapore, Kawa imported from Thailand and Duke imported from India and hence price is almost the same.

Az_itsme
    HuskyHero
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so kawa FTW!
    Be a HERO

Add this Space For your Meat Fix: https://www.facebook.com/JamesButcheryCo?fref=ts
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    Btw, bro, Machine price of 12k for ninja 300, How do we define ( breakdown) bike machine price in SG? is Machine price (Selling price from Kawa) + (10% import tax on the former) + (auth dealer's profit) ? Thanks
    i declare first i cannot comment how individual shops try to smoke you with their breakdown, especially fees that appear after you sign the dotted line.

i bought mine from S1 and they did the 'correct' calculation method with no hidden fees.

you start with machine price of $12k, and this already includes watever taxes or admin fees that must be inside. this is the price that is the same for all regardless of buyer regardless of time.

then with this you add 7% GST, which makes it about $12.8k.

then you add prevailing COE, which at my time was 1.7k to become $14.5k.

Finally is insurance, which for me 3PFT was about $450, so for me my final price was $15.9k thereabout.

the only thing 'missing' from machine price is strictly GST, COE (which depends on prevailing dats why its excluded) and insurance (which depends on buyer thats why also excluded).

if you want to calculate cost price, you start with machine price and work backwards taking out taxes and other admin fees.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KTM is reputable, KTM built in India I have my doubts. I guess they sell it that high because they want to milk as much profits as possible. The kawa is made in Thailand tho
    Quote Originally Posted by revhappy
    Yeah, Kawa is made in Thailand and imported into India and the import duty causes the price to go almost double. Duke 390 is a local product and definitely a terrific value for money.

For Singapore, Kawa imported from Thailand and Duke imported from India and hence price is almost the same.
    a few things first.

in India the duke is not half the price of the ninja. its more like 80% the price of the ninja. which is still great value for money in comparison, but not the half-price being mentioned.

second, the duke is manufactured in India, and then brought to KTM HQ in Austria before being delivered to dealers, including in India. so even for India, there is transport cost because they all come out from Austria in their final phase.

in any case, i personally think the bike's badge is more important than the country of manufacture. after all, nike is made in China. if the brand is a big global brand with reputation, it is in their self-interest to make sure the product with their badge meets their QC to protect their branding.

which is why i would trust a thai bike with a japanese badge, or an indian bike with a european badge. but not an indian bike with an indian badge or a korean bike with a korean badge.

Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i declare first i cannot comment how individual shops try to smoke you with their breakdown, especially fees that appear after you sign the dotted line.

i bought mine from S1 and they did the 'correct' calculation method with no hidden fees.

you start with machine price of $12k, and this already includes watever taxes or admin fees that must be inside. this is the price that is the same for all regardless of buyer regardless of time.

then with this you add 7% GST, which makes it about $12.8k.

then you add prevailing COE, which at my time was 1.7k to become $14.5k.

Finally is insurance, which for me 3PFT was about $450, so for me my final price was $15.9k thereabout.

the only thing 'missing' from machine price is strictly GST, COE (which depends on prevailing dats why its excluded) and insurance (which depends on buyer thats why also excluded).

if you want to calculate cost price, you start with machine price and work backwards taking out taxes and other admin fees.
    16K for a 300cc commuter, haven't include interest. Wow.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

16K for a 300cc commuter, haven't include interest. Wow.
    you might wow at that figure, but the fact is considering only 2a, a super4 is still significantly more expensive, a duke390 only slightly less, and the new honda 400 parallel twin slightly more. the only 2a commuter considerably cheaper is a cbr250.

you want the most bang for the buck, get a super4 but its the most expensive 2a roadster around. the cheapest would be the cbr250, which you can say is the most 'sensibly priced' 2a commuter, but its not any more powerful than a 2b 2-stroke. at the end of the day, whether a bike is worth the money depends on who's paying isnt it. i have no regrets choosing this bike instead of a super4 or a cbr250.

i guess a case can be made that the duke is marginally more worth than the ninja coz its slightly more cc for slightly less $$, but for various reasons (including this delay we're discussing) i decided not to take the duke.

Baal
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

second, the duke is manufactured in India, and then brought to KTM HQ in Austria before being delivered to dealers, including in India. so even for India, there is transport cost because they all come out from Austria in their final phase.

does the above protocol / sequence also apply to Honda ( Jap brands ) which now makes many bikes in Thailand.?

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baal View Post
    does the above protocol / sequence also apply to Honda ( Jap brands ) which now makes many bikes in Thailand.?
    honestly no idea.

KTM during unveiling deliberately made a big deal out of how their duke 125/200/390 all taken out of india in final phase, brought to Austria where final QC was done in KTM HQ, before officially exported to dealers around the world, including back to india. obviously they want to assure potential buyers about the quality of their made-in-india models.

but the japanese, although not hiding the fact that some models made in thailand, seem to find no need to make a big deal. maybe they feel consumers already have confidence in a japanese badge regardless of place of manufacture. after all their cars are the same.

my gut feel is that Southeast Asia only models like the CBR150 or Wave, and past discontinued models like phantom/nsr and krr, are not brought back to japan; their final QC is done onsite in the thai plant by the japanese engineers and exported directly.

but models made for global market, like the ninja300 and the new honda 400/500 series, i donno. coz some imply that the 400/500 series imported into singapore come from japan rather than direct from thailand.

Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you might wow at that figure, but the fact is considering only 2a, a super4 is still significantly more expensive, a duke390 only slightly less, and the new honda 400 parallel twin slightly more. the only 2a commuter considerably cheaper is a cbr250.

you want the most bang for the buck, get a super4 but its the most expensive 2a roadster around. the cheapest would be the cbr250, which you can say is the most 'sensibly priced' 2a commuter, but its not any more powerful than a 2b 2-stroke. at the end of the day, whether a bike is worth the money depends on who's paying isnt it. i have no regrets choosing this bike instead of a super4 or a cbr250.

i guess a case can be made that the duke is marginally more worth than the ninja coz its slightly more cc for slightly less $$, but for various reasons (including this delay we're discussing) i decided not to take the duke.
    Well at least the 250s are a legit race category but as far as CC to road tax goes, 390 fits the bill nicely. Too bad they are delayed but methinks the 390 would be a good investment, KTM brand name minus the race bike maintenance, assuming they will retain value simply because of their popularity like the DRZ. The Ninja 300s and Honda parallel twins...I'm thinking not that much.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you intend to buy a 2a bike to enter the malaysian series, sure you gotta get the cbr250. otherwise, wats the point of concerning yourself with official racing categories? you cant possibly tell me that outside of the malaysian series, the cbr250 is more trackworthy than the ninja. the nija in stock already makes more power than a legally-modded cbr250.

the way i see it, the only reason to get the 250 over the 300 is either you're a diehard honda fan, or you decide since they're both commuters and not real sportsbikes, might as well get the cheapest one even if its down on power.

but the duke, no arguments. it probably is a 'better' bike than the cbr250 or ninja300 whether in terms of value or performance. if the styling meets wat you want, that is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast