User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: trip to taiwan

  1. #1
    smgoh6
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Smile trip to taiwan



    Hi, i am going to taiwan in march. I am wondering if i can bring in a electric kettle on the plane.. i first time going overseas so not very clear. I want to bring electric kettle to cook stuff so can save abit of money (: and is there any power socket in hotels? i assume that there are power sockets if not how to charge things like handphone and laptops.

  2. #2
    Coyote66
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    438
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bring a universal travel plug adapter

     

     
  3. #3
    Demon
    has no status.
    SBF Lacer Demon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,223
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smgoh6 View Post
    Hi, i am going to taiwan in march. I am wondering if i can bring in a electric kettle on the plane.. i first time going overseas so not very clear.
    Definitely you can. Just don't try to use it on the plane


    Quote Originally Posted by smgoh6 View Post
    I want to bring electric kettle to cook stuff so can save abit of money (: and is there any power socket in hotels? i assume that there are power sockets if not how to charge things like handphone and laptops.
    Taiwan follows US, so they are using 120AC whereas Singapore is using 230AC. So make doubly sure your electrical kettle or heating rod is 120AC.

    http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=276

    Your can buy those travel cooker which is about the size of a 25 CD stack which can accept both 120 and 230 AC. Available at Mustafa.

    Its standard hotel policy that no cooking is allowed in the room but if its just like instant noodle or boiling an egg, no one will question you.

    Most hotels, including budget ones wil have an electric kettle in the room or hot water point along the corridor so maybe you can check with them first which would save yoy the trouble of carrying one there.

    Taiwan street food is really cheap, and incredibly delicious so just budget that in and enjoy yourself.

    Read that the best way to see Taiwan is on a motorbike, are you planning something like that ?

  4. #4
    smgoh6
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    Definitely you can. Just don't try to use it on the plane




    Taiwan follows US, so they are using 120AC whereas Singapore is using 230AC. So make doubly sure your electrical kettle or heating rod is 120AC.

    http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=276

    Your can buy those travel cooker which is about the size of a 25 CD stack which can accept both 120 and 230 AC. Available at Mustafa.

    Its standard hotel policy that no cooking is allowed in the room but if its just like instant noodle or boiling an egg, no one will question you.

    Most hotels, including budget ones wil have an electric kettle in the room or hot water point along the corridor so maybe you can check with them first which would save yoy the trouble of carrying one there.

    Taiwan street food is really cheap, and incredibly delicious so just budget that in and enjoy yourself.

    Read that the best way to see Taiwan is on a motorbike, are you planning something like that ?
    Thanks for the reply! that link is useful man. I want to ride in taiwan too man but i dont think and dont know whether they allow tourist to ride in taiwan.

    I will definitely try the street food but i dont think i will eat that for all 3 meals so i wan to eat other things like eggs or oatmeal or something haha

  5. #5
    kifakw
    has no status.
    Class 2 kifakw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Novena, Singapore
    Posts
    1,238
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why would you want to save money on food when you're visiting taiwan?

    taiwan has got the most awesome deliciious street food you can find! and its only NTD$50! which is about SGD$2.
    Regards,
    kifakw

    Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
    and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
    torque is how far you take the wall with you.

  6. #6
    smgoh6
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kifakw View Post
    why would you want to save money on food when you're visiting taiwan?

    taiwan has got the most awesome deliciious street food you can find! and its only NTD$50! which is about SGD$2.
    dont really want to become a fatass by eating too much street food. XD i just want to have an alternative just in case.

  7. #7
    adesmond2
    is a Relaxed
    SBF Lacer
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sgp lorh...
    Posts
    7,790
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smgoh6 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! that link is useful man. I want to ride in taiwan too man but i dont think and dont know whether they allow tourist to ride in taiwan.

    I will definitely try the street food but i dont think i will eat that for all 3 meals so i wan to eat other things like eggs or oatmeal or something haha
    Yes, they will allow that as long you have internation driving license..

    http://www.aas.com.sg/?show=content&showview=8&val=135

    this is the only official website in Singapore you can get it from..
    Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks...

    Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well.



    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

  8. #8
    Stourer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    84
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm currently in northern Taiwan on biz trip,been coming here few times per year for past 6-7yrs.

    It's not advisable to ride here even if you have IDP for first timer here, I have it but I dun ride or drive here, you need to have the "feel" and know the hidden rules at junctions else you'll get into accidents easily,moreover they're left hand drive system, diff from sg/msia/thai.
    Also alot of bike rental companies in major town will probably not rent you bikes as they're worried abt insurance matters if you get into accident. I tried on the east coast/Hualien & they don't wana rent me when they see my IDP license.
    Best is to travel around by rail/bus & taxis if in smaller towns, bus/taxi/MRT in taipei is easy to get around.
    Lastly, motorcycles cannot travel on the main highways(#1), only the smaller trunk roads, bikes >500cc can travel on secondary highways if I'm not wrong starting few years ago but will take a long time to get from north to south. If you have alot of time to travel the whole island, you might be able to do it.
    If need to get from north-south fast, THSR(taiwan bullet train) is fastest ~300KPH.

    As for food, I never heard of anyone that bring food here yet, food is cheap and easily available everywhere unless you're in the mountains or really small towns. You'll probably be the 1st I heard that intends to bring food to taiwan, try out the local foods, not all are junk food, some are really healthy(vegetarian & lots of vege).
    A simple meal(take away bento) costs like NT50-NT80 depending on what you wana eat.
    Fried rice cost like NT$70-80 depending on places/towns.

    Hope these info helps.

  9. #9
    smgoh6
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    160
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stourer View Post
    I'm currently in northern Taiwan on biz trip,been coming here few times per year for past 6-7yrs.

    It's not advisable to ride here even if you have IDP for first timer here, I have it but I dun ride or drive here, you need to have the "feel" and know the hidden rules at junctions else you'll get into accidents easily,moreover they're left hand drive system, diff from sg/msia/thai.
    Also alot of bike rental companies in major town will probably not rent you bikes as they're worried abt insurance matters if you get into accident. I tried on the east coast/Hualien & they don't wana rent me when they see my IDP license.
    Best is to travel around by rail/bus & taxis if in smaller towns, bus/taxi/MRT in taipei is easy to get around.
    Lastly, motorcycles cannot travel on the main highways(#1), only the smaller trunk roads, bikes >500cc can travel on secondary highways if I'm not wrong starting few years ago but will take a long time to get from north to south. If you have alot of time to travel the whole island, you might be able to do it.
    If need to get from north-south fast, THSR(taiwan bullet train) is fastest ~300KPH.

    As for food, I never heard of anyone that bring food here yet, food is cheap and easily available everywhere unless you're in the mountains or really small towns. You'll probably be the 1st I heard that intends to bring food to taiwan, try out the local foods, not all are junk food, some are really healthy(vegetarian & lots of vege).
    A simple meal(take away bento) costs like NT50-NT80 depending on what you wana eat.
    Fried rice cost like NT$70-80 depending on places/towns.

    Hope these info helps.
    Thanks alot! first time going overseas so very clueless. thx for the info man! (:

  10. #10
    yongchin
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    76
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    just go enjoy the food. If want cook noodle, you can go buy cup noodle, boil water using the electric kettle provided by the hotel.

  11. #11
    JohnYong
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Currently living and working in taichung. Just a note, The motels here are quite nicely decorated and its not too expensive renting for the whole night. Price wise similar to a 4 star hotel. If want cheaper, can go for traveler's hostel

     

     
  12. #12
    humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    65
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Best place to ride in Taiwan would prob be Kenting, a little seaside town south of Kao Hsiung.

  13. #13
    JohnYong
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There are alot of nice roads here in taiwan, not necessary kao Hsiung. KeeLung, Hualian Etc. Beautiful country roads. Motobike heaven.
    We are dealing with helmets, Apparels , Gloves, Boots etc!
    Please Like and Share! Once Purchase confirmed, An invoice will be created and sent to you.

    h t t p s ://w w w . f a c e b o o k . c o m / s p o r t s b i k e s g e a r s

  14. #14
    ah_huat
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    28
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have just documented my 1 week riding trip in Taiwan.
    For those interested, you can read it up here -> https://maxmotorcyclediary.blogspot.sg/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •