User Tag List

View Poll Results: Engine Oil Change Interval

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • <3000

    7 5.47%
  • 3000-5000

    47 36.72%
  • 5000-7000

    39 30.47%
  • 7000-9000

    10 7.81%
  • >10000

    25 19.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 64

Thread: [Discussion] CB400 Engine Oil Change Interval

  1. #1
    SparkerS1
    is not the only
    SBF Moderator SparkerS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    12,335
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default [Discussion] CB400 Engine Oil Change Interval



    Every rider has different servicing intervals due to different riding conditions, different riding techiques or track racing.

    Let us input our experiences and opinons regarding Engine Oil (EO) interval into this poll.

    Please feel free to post the type of engine oil used and Engine Oil change interval if any to contribute.

    Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

    Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

    Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

    Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

    SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

  2. #2
    SparkerS1
    is not the only
    SBF Moderator SparkerS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    12,335
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    My views on Engine Oil change interval

    Heat will speed up EO degrading process.
    Preventive is always better than corrective.

    The service intervals in the CB400 Maintenance Schedule are based on average riding conditions. Some items will need more frequent service if you ride in unusually wet or dusty areas, or if you often accelerate quickly and use full throttle.
    http://motorcycle.honda.ca/parts-ser...ance-schedules

    Therefore, I used Motul 300V Factory line and change my EO every 6000-6500km or every 6 months whichever comes first for CB400 Revo
    Last edited by SparkerS1; 18-11-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Additional details

    Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

    Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

    Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

    Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

    SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

     

     
  3. #3
    SparkerS1
    is not the only
    SBF Moderator SparkerS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    12,335
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Additional information for reference
    Most 4-stroke bike engines contain less oil than car engines, and that oil not only has to perform in the engine, but also has to survive the high stresses of the gearbox and allow smooth clutch operation. Bike oils have to work much harder in comparison with car oil.

    With less sophisticated oils, intense shear forces can lead to the breakdown of viscosity modifiers that prevent oils from becoming too thin as the temperature increases. When this breakdown occurs, small carbon particles are released into the oil and can form sludge deposits. These can lead to carbon and lacquer deposits especially on hot engine parts such as pistons and piston ring grooves, resulting in starting problems, power loss and failure to protect pistons from metal loss.

    In the harsh environment of a modern bike engine, oil degrades with time, which results in a loss of the properties it was formulated to have. This degradation leads to a build-up of acids and an increase in the oil’s viscosity, which results in a reduction in your engine’s performance and the level of protection that the oil gives to engine components.

    Your engine oil needs to be changed regularly to ensure engine longevity.
    Oil changes are at owner's discretion.

    Taken from: http://www.shell.com.hk/en/products-...rotection.html

    Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

    Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

    Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

    Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

    SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

  4. #4
    ldslds
    has no status.
    Class 2 ldslds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,311
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Honda recommend 12000km OCI indeed....lets be fair and take certain aspects into consideration and let me explain why i have a 4500km OCI which many people might considered it as waste of resources or money.... if those who read the reviews of revo in the authorised honda website, you can see that the fuel consumption is based on last gear travelling at 60km/hr..... which is slighlty lower than rpm4 at tachometer... thats why i concluded that the oci of 12000km in thw manual is based on that rpm....me travelling at almost 8rpm and sometime dragged to 10rpm use the 4500km oci because 12000km oci --> 4rpm(round up)

    so using ave rpm of 9 based on my riding habit → 12000/(9/4) = 12000/ 2.25= 5333.3333333km....me, being typica kiasu singaporean wanna play safe and have a 4500km oci as i know engine oil detoriate over times and higher rpm will create more heat and debris in the gearbox.... i am providing this info based on purely my riding experience..... not 20 plus year of cos...you can still say that its not stated in the manual and 10000 km oci is safe.... u might be correct but different riders have different riding habits, nv pin point a particular someone just because he has a status over here in the forum.... i believe there is no definite answer to this OCI topic so please do not try to start any cyber battle over here by saying other people are giving bad advices and/or being biased towards blah blah blah , perhaps you need to use some of the grey matter mate ....

    lets be fair and let the other be the judge and decide their own OCI... i can say that i did not come out with this 4500km oci based on purely the manual.... i might be wrong ! but if i am correct then happy overhauling mates!!

    This info was what i have posted in the Revo thread, cheers


    BY GODSENDWORX=)

    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/305185-ldslds-GARAGE-SALES!!

  5. #5
    Cruiserian
    is riding CB400 Revo
    Class 2A Cruiserian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    748
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I understand the manual recommend 12k oci. But normally I will just change around 5k. I'm using fully synthetic eo. I just feel safer this way. Cheers.
    -= Ride to Freedom, Freedom to Ride =-

  6. #6
    Totallywasted
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The boondocks
    Posts
    114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The CBR400's manufacturer-recommended EO change interval is 12,000km?? 0.o

    The recommended interval for DRZ-400SMs is just every 1,000km! Bloody hell.

  7. #7
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Totallywasted View Post
    The CBR400's manufacturer-recommended EO change interval is 12,000km?? 0.o

    The recommended interval for DRZ-400SMs is just every 1,000km! Bloody hell.
    That's because your bike is meant to go off-road and Suzuki has taken into consideration that people who buy the bike will actually go off road when they decided what should be the recommended OCI. On the other hand the CB400s are not meant to go off-road and are expected to be ridden in normal conditions such as Singapore/Malaysia roads.

    Do read the discussions at the following posts on the Revo thread starting here: #8671


  8. #8
    feelspeed
    's Utopia
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    thanks for sharing.

    well for me, i rode from bukit batok to changi airport daily commute for home to work then to home. roughly 60km daily to and fro.

    i have been on ahpek eo and grounding currently and 3k km millage so far still smooth with no loss of power with avg riding speed of 100-110km/h on PIE.

    but in general, i would like to know for long distance riding which would be better?
    EO such as Motul 300v or X Rev/maxima 15w-50w or 10w-40w

    any input would be greatly appreciated.

  9. #9
    SparkerS1
    is not the only
    SBF Moderator SparkerS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    12,335
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Totallywasted View Post
    The CBR400's manufacturer-recommended EO change interval is 12,000km?? 0.o

    The recommended interval for DRZ-400SMs is just every 1,000km! Bloody hell.
    DRZ400SM has a dry sump engine thus the lower engine oil change interval.

    Yamaha RXZ, Kawasaki ZX KR150, Yamaha Spark135, Honda CB400 REVO NC42, Suzuki DRZ400SMK8, Aprilia RS125, Suzuki GSXR600K9, Honda RS150R

    Click on the bike models for Information/Servicing/Maintenance on Kawasaki KR150, Honda CB400 Revo, Suzuki DRZ400SM and Suzuki GSXR

    Facebook HONDA CB400 REVO

    Can't post a new thread ?? Read HERE

    SBF Garage Sales Act ---> Read HERE

  10. #10
    HaiR1
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lion City
    Posts
    4,794
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feelspeed View Post
    thanks for sharing.

    well for me, i rode from bukit batok to changi airport daily commute for home to work then to home. roughly 60km daily to and fro.

    i have been on ahpek eo and grounding currently and 3k km millage so far still smooth with no loss of power with avg riding speed of 100-110km/h on PIE.

    but in general, i would like to know for long distance riding which would be better?
    EO such as Motul 300v or X Rev/maxima 15w-50w or 10w-40w

    any input would be greatly appreciated.


    Why nt you put Ahpek EO to the test like how I do??

    Dnt talk about SG Stop&Go traffic..

    Take it for a Frequent Trip Up&down Genting a few times, then maybe continue till Thailand on a single oil change from Ahpek ..

    After that, change your preferred EO n go exactly the same trip again..

    U will so find which EO is up for this type of High Speed/ Distance run



    Trying Is Believing.

  11. #11
    Totallywasted
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The boondocks
    Posts
    114
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post
    That's because your bike is meant to go off-road and Suzuki has taken into consideration that people who buy the bike will actually go off road when they decided what should be the recommended OCI. On the other hand the CB400s are not meant to go off-road and are expected to be ridden in normal conditions such as Singapore/Malaysia roads.

    Do read the discussions at the following posts on the Revo thread starting here: #8671

    Thanks for the link - it was an informative read.

    The DRZ400SM's meant for road use, actually, and I don't think Suzuki intended for the stock bike to be used on a tarmac race track. Even after 1000km/1 month of commuting at moderate revs the oil comes out a dirty brown. I think the main reason for the 1000km interval is that the stator coil is directly cooled by the EO, so its lifespan is dependent on how clean the oil is. To me that's a bit of a design flaw.

    Sorry for butting in here, but the 12000km interval for Super Fours just blew my mind, and I thought I'd share how awesome it is for you guys to have such a low-maintenance machine.

     

     
  12. #12
    ticks
    is learning supermoto
    TeePee ticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,356
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Your oil is black after just 1000 km on the drz is due to your riding conditions. If you are in start stop traffic most of the time or your coolant isn't taken care of, that's the result. I use my drz for transport and sometimes I drag my service to 2500 km and my oil still come outs clean. Not clear but not black. Put a torch to the oil as it flows out and you can still see through it. Just thought there's some justification that needs to be done for be drz engine. *peace*
    Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

  13. #13
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feelspeed View Post
    thanks for sharing.

    well for me, i rode from bukit batok to changi airport daily commute for home to work then to home. roughly 60km daily to and fro.

    i have been on ahpek eo and grounding currently and 3k km millage so far still smooth with no loss of power with avg riding speed of 100-110km/h on PIE.

    but in general, i would like to know for long distance riding which would be better?
    EO such as Motul 300v or X Rev/maxima 15w-50w or 10w-40w

    any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I have used Mobil 1 4T 10W40 (Gold bottle fully synthetic) for bikes, Mobil 1 10W40 (fully synthetic) for cars and Motul 300V (when I managed to get it for $25/litre). I am now running Shell Rimula 15W40 in my engine.

    I do SG-KL runs almost every month. In June 2012 to Feb 2013, I was doing SG-KL and SG-Ipoh trips about once a month. All of the oils I've used were great. No performance loss or increase in fuel consumption noted (I record my petrol consumption data religiously at every top-up). All the oils also last about 9-10k, my typical oil change interval.

    Quote Originally Posted by Totallywasted View Post
    Thanks for the link - it was an informative read.

    The DRZ400SM's meant for road use, actually, and I don't think Suzuki intended for the stock bike to be used on a tarmac race track. Even after 1000km/1 month of commuting at moderate revs the oil comes out a dirty brown. I think the main reason for the 1000km interval is that the stator coil is directly cooled by the EO, so its lifespan is dependent on how clean the oil is. To me that's a bit of a design flaw.

    Sorry for butting in here, but the 12000km interval for Super Fours just blew my mind, and I thought I'd share how awesome it is for you guys to have such a low-maintenance machine.
    Err... the DRZ is a street legal dirt bike, i.e. dual-purpose
    http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...2/DRZ400S.aspx
    http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews...Z400_text.html

    Anyway, one of the reasons why the DRZ has such a low OCI is because it has a low engine oil capacity (1.7-1.9L). The overall condition of oil when the volume is low would always deteriorate faster compared to running higher volume of oil in similar conditions.

    As you are only using your DRZ in street/commuting conditions, it is OK to stretch your OCI to 1,500-2,000+km or even 3,000km. As noted by @ticks the oil still comes out "clean" at 2,500km.
    You will know from riding your bike how long the oil lasts in your bike. Look for signs of gear shifts becoming more "notchy" or the engine sounding more rough or noisy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ticks View Post
    Your oil is black after just 1000 km on the drz is due to your riding conditions. If you are in start stop traffic most of the time or your coolant isn't taken care of, that's the result. I use my drz for transport and sometimes I drag my service to 2500 km and my oil still come outs clean. Not clear but not black. Put a torch to the oil as it flows out and you can still see through it. Just thought there's some justification that needs to be done for be drz engine. *peace*
    "It is a common misconception that an oil's color is an indication of how "dirty" it is. This is not necessarily accurate."
    Read more on this here

    Dont let anyone use this to "psycho" you! Another trick they like to use is to ask you to feel the used oil by rubbing some between your fingers. Nothing beats oil analysis to determine if the oil still has sufficient lubricating properties. Though this service is not accessible to us here in Singapore, we can still rely our friends in the US and UK who post their oil analysis online as a guide.

  14. #14
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BTW, @feelspeed what bike are you riding? As you are using Ah Pek's engine oil, what is the oil change interval he recommends? Just curious...

  15. #15
    ticks
    is learning supermoto
    TeePee ticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,356
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ramsnake. Agreed that color of oil doesn't tell the full story. But I guess my point was, even though my oil was clean as I saw it, Gear shifts already started to feel dodgy.

    Not sure how that rider could get his drz oil to be black after just 1000kms... Maybe high revving riding or alot of city riding...
    Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

  16. #16
    feelspeed
    's Utopia
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HaiR1 View Post
    Why nt you put Ahpek EO to the test like how I do??

    Dnt talk about SG Stop&Go traffic..

    Take it for a Frequent Trip Up&down Genting a few times, then maybe continue till Thailand on a single oil change from Ahpek ..

    After that, change your preferred EO n go exactly the same trip again..

    U will so find which EO is up for this type of High Speed/ Distance run



    Trying Is Believing.
    i am taking it for a test now and will update here how far it would last roughly at my current style of riding at SG road expressway.
    what mileage you are getting on ahpek's eo before yr next oil change?

  17. #17
    feelspeed
    's Utopia
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post
    BTW, @feelspeed what bike are you riding? As you are using Ah Pek's engine oil, what is the oil change interval he recommends? Just curious...
    riding vtec2. so far eo is running smooth as per normal that i don't really feel any sluggish or vibration much. Shifting gear is smooth as well. Mileage clocked is 3k km+ of now and usually s4 i noticed people mentioned for a oil interval change at 5k km or 3 months which ever come first.

    For me, i m going by the feel of my engine which is just a rough gauge only.

  18. #18
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feelspeed View Post
    ...and usually s4 i noticed people mentioned for a oil interval change at 5k km or 3 months which ever come first.
    Mention?
    LOL... IMHO, those who talk about 5k km OCI for super fours and are using good quality synthetic oils can't really justify with acceptable reasons why they change oil at 5k.

  19. #19
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feelspeed View Post
    riding vtec2. so far eo is running smooth as per normal that i don't really feel any sluggish or vibration much. Shifting gear is smooth as well.

    For me, i m going by the feel of my engine which is just a rough gauge only.
    Going by feel of engine is good. So what is the longest mileage you have done before you feel the need to change the oil? What oil was that? Also, what are the signs you look for that tell you "my engine needs an oil change"?

  20. #20
    blackness
    is a micron supporter
    Class 2A blackness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    525
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by feelspeed View Post
    thanks for sharing.

    well for me, i rode from bukit batok to changi airport daily commute for home to work then to home. roughly 60km daily to and fro.

    i have been on ahpek eo and grounding currently and 3k km millage so far still smooth with no loss of power with avg riding speed of 100-110km/h on PIE.

    but in general, i would like to know for long distance riding which would be better?
    EO such as Motul 300v or X Rev/maxima 15w-50w or 10w-40w

    any input would be greatly appreciated.
    similar riding style as me. i commute from bukit batok to simei monday to friday. im also spec 2, using ah pek oil. Current mileage on ahpek oil is 15k+ km. Still feeling good but i thought 15k is enough, maybe it's time to change. i will be changing probably end of this month.

  21. #21
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackness View Post
    similar riding style as me. i commute from bukit batok to simei monday to friday. im also spec 2, using ah pek oil. Current mileage on ahpek oil is 15k+ km. Still feeling good but i thought 15k is enough, maybe it's time to change. i will be changing probably end of this month.
    Wahahahaha.... 15k km! Well done!

    That's enough lah, bro. Manual recommends 12k OCI, btw.
    Please do vote on the poll at the top of the page. This will show others that Honda's 12,000km OCI is realistic.

     

     
  22. #22
    ducktale83
    has no status.
    Class 2A ducktale83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    northpole
    Posts
    616
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post
    Wahahahaha.... 15k km! Well done!

    That's enough lah, bro. Manual recommends 12k OCI, btw.
    Please do vote on the poll at the top of the page. This will show others that Honda's 12,000km OCI is realistic.
    Still can go far..i use ap oil till 30+k liao..tats is old type of ap oil..think the new ap oil better

    Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

  23. #23
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ducktale83 View Post
    Still can go far..i use ap oil till 30+k liao..tats is old type of ap oil..think the new ap oil better

    Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

    ....and there are people who use super expensive $33/litre oil and they dump the oil at 5-6000km!

  24. #24
    HaiR1
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lion City
    Posts
    4,794
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post

    ....and there are people who use super expensive $33/litre oil and they dump the oil at 5-6000km!

    Wat to do..

    It's "Branding" mahh..

  25. #25
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HaiR1 View Post
    Wat to do..

    It's "Branding" mahh..
    Yup, "branding" + kiasu + too much money + some other factors deemed too "offensive" to mention here...

  26. #26
    HaiR1
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lion City
    Posts
    4,794
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ya... Pple like tat do exists


  27. #27
    SimpleRider
    has no status.
    Class 2B SimpleRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    336
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post
    Wahahahaha.... 15k km! Well done!

    That's enough lah, bro. Manual recommends 12k OCI, btw.
    Please do vote on the poll at the top of the page. This will show others that Honda's 12,000km OCI is realistic.
    the 12,000 km OCI is for ALL Super4, issit? How about the PB1/VerS/VerR?
    Goodee hor hot goodee... Mat witz sebastian!

  28. #28
    ramsnake
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleRider View Post
    the 12,000 km OCI is for ALL Super4, issit? How about the PB1/VerS/VerR?
    I'm not sure as I only have the manuals for Spec 1 to Revo. In any case, the basic design of the CB400 engines have remained the same throughout the model range. If your engine oil capacity is about 3.2L, then the OCI should be the same.

    If you don't have the manual for your bike and don't want to go too long between oil changes, going for 10,000km should be safe. Do note that this is always provided you use a good synthetic oil to start with. No need to use super expensive oil either. For older engines, I recommend you use a 15W50 oil.

  29. #29
    feelspeed
    's Utopia
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post

    ....and there are people who use super expensive $33/litre oil and they dump the oil at 5-6000km!

    haha ya seconded it. because i just did today. Well Bike was roughly 5000km+ mileage and I decided to dump it and changed it to Motul 300v today.

    Waste money but can't help being curious which was better and also never use motul 300v before. But to my feel and honest opinion, Motul 300v 10w40 was to me "ok ok" compare to ap oil. God know what oil he use and mix things but I tried so called "popular" Motul 300v 10w40. Perhaps it would be better for track use as it is thinner and lighter. Different engine different feel but I can feel ap oil is thicker and able to last smoothness for at least 8,000km-9,000km. Just my 2cents worth.

    Please feel free to input and share about EO feel and need for a change in EO interval.

  30. #30
    feelspeed
    's Utopia
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackness View Post
    similar riding style as me. i commute from bukit batok to simei monday to friday. im also spec 2, using ah pek oil. Current mileage on ahpek oil is 15k+ km. Still feeling good but i thought 15k is enough, maybe it's time to change. i will be changing probably end of this month.
    bro pls update here what EO would you be changing or sticking back to ah pek's?
    do u also do grounding from him?

  31. #31
    feelspeed
    's Utopia
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post
    Going by feel of engine is good. So what is the longest mileage you have done before you feel the need to change the oil? What oil was that? Also, what are the signs you look for that tell you "my engine needs an oil change"?
    Well I just take out S4 spec2 only this year feb. Previously was 2b so I could not compare the longest mileage I had traveled on 2b for next EO change.

    Usually by the feel of
    -Engine roughness and sound of engine will be weird. I wish i know how to describe it haha.
    -roughness in gear shifting
    -bike will feel heavy and loss of power in moving off and maintaining throttle. Like become weak.

    how about you bro ramsnake?

     

     
  32. #32
    buttbutt8
    has no status.
    Class 2 buttbutt8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    1,226
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My usage is low. If I change EO at every 12000km like some here have recommended, I will be changing EO once in 2 years!
    May 2005 - July 2007: Honda Phantom TA200 (FU 3*** S)
    July 2007 - Dec 2016: Honda CB400 Spec III (FBB 7***X)
    Dec 2016 - Aug 2017: Yamaha FZ1N (FBD 4***E)
    Aug 2017 - Present: Kawasaki Z1000SX (FBF 6***B)

    Boono

  33. #33
    SKG_86
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    291
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi....may i know whr got sell AMSOIL EO? usually if i wanna change dat brand EO,will owez do at KL...dunno other shops....(my riding style KL-Spore-KL almost every week, mileage at least 4500km per mth & average between 45,000km to 60,000km per year)

  34. #34
    ducktale83
    has no status.
    Class 2A ducktale83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    northpole
    Posts
    616
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKG_86 View Post
    Hi....may i know whr got sell AMSOIL EO? usually if i wanna change dat brand EO,will owez do at KL...dunno other shops....(my riding style KL-Spore-KL almost every week, mileage at least 4500km per mth & average between 45,000km to 60,000km per year)
    I bought once with a very pretty lady but i lost her number..$14.50 per bottle..tat one for cars n bikes

    Sent from my GT-N7005 using Tapatalk 2

  35. #35
    QuanIsHere
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Singapore, Sembawang
    Posts
    211
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsnake View Post

    ....and there are people who use super expensive $33/litre oil and they dump the oil at 5-6000km!
    no choice! some ppl kiasi ma plus money many many!! LOL
    Be happy for what you have =D

  36. #36
    thechosenx
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    425
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Before my phantom on Amsoil i can use it til max max max of 7k. No oil burned or what so ever with amsoil.

    Then used it on my CB400 till 18k with no problems or top up.

    Then met ahpek. Tried his nano EO now 6k, i will try to go 20k or more

  37. #37
    exwhyzee
    doesnt need a status.
    Class 2B exwhyzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Woodbridge
    Posts
    345
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I had my first and only oil change thus far last year june...approached ahpek for his nano EO...till now 16k engine still running fine...if ur amsoil can tahan 18k then try to push ahpek eo till 20k+++...tats wat most of those tat use his eo did...some even till 30k and beyond
    '97 CB400 F3V (NC31)

  38. #38
    thechosenx
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    425
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exwhyzee View Post
    I had my first and only oil change thus far last year june...approached ahpek for his nano EO...till now 16k engine still running fine...if ur amsoil can tahan 18k then try to push ahpek eo till 20k+++...tats wat most of those tat use his eo did...some even till 30k and beyond
    Yah, surely no problem. I will also try to test at least a 25 to 28k

    Of course depends on the feel, if it's really rough (which i doubt) then will change.

  39. #39
    Jonborah
    misses his Intruder.
    Class 2A Jonborah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    642
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    anyone riding Ver S here? what EO do you use?
    Of course I trust my skills. I ride alone cos I don't trust the competency of the driver next to me.

  40. #40
    exwhyzee
    doesnt need a status.
    Class 2B exwhyzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Woodbridge
    Posts
    345
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    me im riding versionS...using ahpek nano EO
    '97 CB400 F3V (NC31)

  41. #41
    randler
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    north
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    whr do i get this ahpek EO?

     

     
  42. #42
    SimpleRider
    has no status.
    Class 2B SimpleRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    336
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randler View Post
    whr do i get this ahpek EO?
    He (ah pek) is a veteran forumer in the PB1/VerR/VerS group. Kindly PM him for contacts.


    Cheers!
    Goodee hor hot goodee... Mat witz sebastian!

  43. #43
    Baal
    has no status.
    Class 2A Baal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serangoon North
    Posts
    641
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiserian View Post
    I understand the manual recommend 12k oci. But normally I will just change around 5k. I'm using fully synthetic eo. I just feel safer this way. Cheers.
    i also feel comfortable w 5k interval fully syn interval. manufacturer fig usually based in ideal conditions which almost never hapens in reality. Just like how they quote fuel eco...

  44. #44
    Hydher
    Is selling his GSXR1000
    SBF Phantom Knights Hydher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,551
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    s4 is one hell of a machine
    400cc but can beat many class 2 bikes.

    A shared transmission bike will shear the oil really fast.
    So take note if you are using synthetic oil which are group III based(which are most)

    True synthetic Ester based oils are more stable.

    Oils change intervals are like insurance and the manual sets a benchmark.



    30k oci.. wow!
    Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

  45. #45
    foccacia
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    203
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    where to get AMSOIL or Motul oil at cheap price? n how much? these 2 r 1 of the better 1 for S4 rite?

  46. #46
    lynx2606
    has no status.
    P Plate lynx2606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    54
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is there any OCI for S4 that is based on time? Seem to be only based on distance. I travel only between 10-20 km a day so it can't be possible i change my engine oil once every 2 years right?

  47. #47
    drifter2013
    has no status.
    P Plate drifter2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    64
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    normal oil 5000-7000km
    semi syn 10000-12000km
    full syn 15000-17000km
    Usually when u feel little bit hard to kick in 1st gear, its time to oil chg.

  48. #48
    drifter2013
    has no status.
    P Plate drifter2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    64
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lynx2606 View Post
    Is there any OCI for S4 that is based on time? Seem to be only based on distance. I travel only between 10-20 km a day so it can't be possible i change my engine oil once every 2 years right?
    If new bike under warranty pls keep the oil chg timing schedule.

    At least 6 months do the oil chg to prevent too much oil stain accumulated in engine block.

  49. #49
    exwhyzee
    doesnt need a status.
    Class 2B exwhyzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Woodbridge
    Posts
    345
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drifter2013 View Post
    normal oil 5000-7000km
    semi syn 10000-12000km
    full syn 15000-17000km
    Usually when u feel little bit hard to kick in 1st gear, its time to oil chg.
    u forgot 1 more..
    ahpek eo 25000-30000km
    '97 CB400 F3V (NC31)

  50. #50
    jtzx
    busy man
    SBF Phantom Knights jtzx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B I S H A N
    Posts
    6,248
    Feedback Score
    8 (90%)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mine maxima with ester fully syn. Change every 5000km

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    JOSHUA
    class2B -26/2/09
    class 2A -27/7/10
    class 3 - 6/1/11
    class 2 - 30/8/12



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •