rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Recreational Running

Anybody here do running for recreation?

i am nowhere near marathon or triathlon level, but i recently found the time to jog regularly, and i'm beginning to do it more often and further in each run, for no other reason than because i bought a HRM watch, found my 'magic pace' based on heart rate, and suddenly i realized i dont need to always jog at ippt 2.4km pace in every jog, my 'magic pace' allowed me to actually cover more than twice the distance.

i also notice that in recent years, running as a hobby from just casual jog to marathons and triathlon and iron man is gaining popularity rapidy among sinagporeans, although frankly i laugh at 'marathoners' who jog 20 mins and walk 6 hours plus then proudly walk around in the marathon t-shirt....

i'm still only at the casual jog stage. wondering any here can discuss shoes, gear reviews, running routes, training patterns and running gait etc etc. i started reading up and only now realized so many complex issues.

shoes: minimalist vs maximalist? is pronation control just BS?

running gait: heel, midfoot or forefoot?

btw: i'm using New Balance 870 v2 and just bought Saucony Kinvara4 to try. the first has 8mm offset, the second has 4mm. i'm using Timex Zone Trainer HRM Watch, but recently bought the Nike+ Sportwatch GPS coz i got curious about distance, and now using the Nike+ app and online site and totally loving the fun ecosystem. i'd give reviews but right now i dont even know if anybody is reading this...

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

seahmh
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also doing normal joggings, in order to bring down my BMI, my weight and my bad cholestrol.

I bought a Mizuno running shoes after a friend's recommendation.

I bought a Timex Marathon GPS watch on-line from Amazon, in order to measure the distance of my run and the time.

The watches and the running shoes and the research you did, makes me feel so ashamed. hahahaha...

Anyway, I stay in Queenstown. I always try to run 10-km per run at least once a week. Running one complete run around the Alexandra Park Connector from the old Queenstown cinema to Great World City and back.

If anyone keen on leisure, causal, NOT-marathon, running with an old man, feel free to make contact with me and we can jog and exercise together for our health, for our IPPT, etc...

hahahaha...

Cheers.
    Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)
    Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)
    Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)
    Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)
    ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)
    Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)
    Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wah, 10km eh? i only just reached 8km, although i manage to do it 3 times a week. my current short-term goal is to reach 10km by december, and join a 10km run next year to be honest, 8km in a single non-stop jog is the furthest i ever do in my life including back in NS days. but like you, marathon or even half-marathon is way too ambitious at this point

wat mizuno you using? and hows the timex? is the watch a standalone gps, or can upload to some timex website where they map your run on google map? coz my nike+ sportwatch can (must use in fact) upload to Nike+ website and can see my route on google map, and then compare my average speed/pace, distance and time from all my running logs. dam fun, but nike deliberately designed it to be a simple, casual and trendy tool, so i cant extract details like exact speed at different segments etc. so its not for serious people training for marathon or iron man, but good for casual runners.

no need paiseh my research leh. i read up coz i very concerned about running injury. you see, back in NS, i was issued the first-gen New Balance, and then when i about to ORD they released the second-gen New Balance. it was dam bulky and thick, but at that time ppl mostly donno much, everybody rush to buy (including me) coz it looked so 'pro', until all e-mart sold out within a month of release. especially since after NS i further studies no money buy 'proper' shoes so i cash out my credits with 2 pairs and use them for the next few years.

on hindsight, i now realized those shoes were giving me serious injuries. after almost every 3km run (my usual regular distance at that time), i suffered painful shin splints for one or two days, that pain in inner part of lower leg and sore shin bone. that time donno much i just assume its 'normal pain' from training hard and that it will go away when i become 'stronger'.

but after a couple of years, i suffered intense pain at the back of my knee everytime i squat or sit cross-legged for anything longer than 10mins. luckily after that i got married, got child so stopped running a few years and it healed

but now i found out that second-gen New Balance is too thick and had a whopping 16mm heel offset. i am now convinced that shoe is totally not good (at least for me), especially since now i run more often and further than before and none of the pain has returned.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marathons are no joke. I very arrogantly went for a full 42km run without having properly prepared, thinking that because I'd run a marathon before that I can do it again easily. Well I ended up with 2 broken feet (stress fracture) and couldn't walk for 2 weeks

I run with my iphone and runkeeper app. Alternate between 2 pairs of shoes, Asics and Saucony. This is to let the shoes "rest" and have both pairs last longer and also for their shape to "bounce back".

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at least you not the kind of people, never run further than 5km before then happily take part in marathon, walk for 6h plus and after that happily parade around in the marathon t-shirt

btw can direct me to articles about this 'resting of the shoes'? it never occurred to me the shoes need time to regain their shape in between runs.

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a search on "shoe rotation". If no results then "marathon training shoe rotation". I also read runnersworld sometimes.

http://runnersfeed.com/rotate-your-running-shoes/

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey thanks, good read.

coincidentally i now thinking of getting the Nike Free Hyperfeel when it comes out locally, coz it looks like its a good shoe to do occasional minimalist running once or twice a week to train up more muscles. i donno how much it will cost in singapore, but based on US price tag, looks expensive.

this shoe rotation concept looks like just the nudge for me to get them when they come out. now if i can just convince the wife that i need to do shoe rotation...

Tanarthur
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need recommendation for a HRM... Not too ex... the timex you mention on the high side... And where can I get them? Hopefully beside heart rate display, able to count how much calories and fat burn...
    I AM BACK!!!!!

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarthur View Post
    I need recommendation for a HRM... Not too ex... the timex you mention on the high side... And where can I get them? Hopefully beside heart rate display, able to count how much calories and fat burn...
    hi bro, let me share.

the thing is, you can get really good models from brands like garmin or others at good (not 'cheap', but 'appropriate') prices from very specialized shops. however, you need to ask the serious runners where these shops are and be willing to travel to their out of the way addresses.

i never had the time to do it so i cannot comment on where, what or how good these models are, i only know they exist. i can only comment on models found in general stores at shopping malls.

Harvey Norman sells a few Polar (clickm to see some) and Timex models, and the Nike+ Sportswatch. H2Hub watch shop (West Mall, Nex, Clementi Mall etc) sells a range of Polar and New Balance, but i did not get a good look coz at the time i was only interested in a New Balance $300 model with GPS and not the rest.

the polar models in Harvey Norman range from $80 all the way to $300. its really "you get what you pay for". The $80 shows ONLY heart rate in beats per minute, and nothing else. no stopwatch nothing. just heart rate. the $300 comes complete with shoe sensor and GPS, and extra functions like calorie count and heart rate alarms and online logging.

consider the polar only if you want hrm as cheap as possible and willing to accept less functionality. be sure to ask if the watch comes with the heart rate sensor or must buy seperately.

Timex has mostly the $199 heart rate only Zone Trainer, another $300 and another $500 models specifically for triathlon with water functionality and GPS.

tell you why i recommend the Timex Zone Trainer at $199 in Harvey Norman. It has just the functions a person needs for serious workout, without very technical things that triathletes or marathoners might need. it will calorie count based on your weight that you input. it has stopwatch and lap counter in tandem with heart rate. you can set an alarm for a specific heart rate zone; the alarm will beep if you go above or below the zone you set. once you stop your workout, it automatically tracks your 2min Heart Rate Recovery and displays the count with a beep 2mins after you press stop. you can choose to display and track heart rate either in beats per minute or % maximum heart rate based on you MHR that you input.

if you only want a HRM without GPS and online logging, you want minimum proper functions, its perfect. i found myself using all of its functions, and never wished for anything more.

until i became curious about my distance and started hunting for GPS functionality. that one, different long story.

hope i've helped.

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are lucky you will come across people selling off their monitors cheaply. I saw this ad not too long for a polar with shoe chip at only $30, original price was close to $200.

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoe rotation has health benefits as well, as your posture might become too dependent on one pair of shoes and stress out certain body parts. Maybe that will convince your wife I've never tried minimalist running before. After the stress fracture I think cushioning is very very important.

There are some people who believe in barefoot running - when some African marathon runners were asked regarding their feelings on this, they laughed and said they only know of people who were forced to run barefoot cos they had no money for shoes

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by humph View Post
    Shoe rotation has health benefits as well, as your posture might become too dependent on one pair of shoes and stress out certain body parts. Maybe that will convince your wife I've never tried minimalist running before. After the stress fracture I think cushioning is very very important.

There are some people who believe in barefoot running - when some African marathon runners were asked regarding their feelings on this, they laughed and said they only know of people who were forced to run barefoot cos they had no money for shoes
    literally barefoot, cannot lah. total lack of cushion and the possibility of sharp rocks and nails....

but minimalist, i thought if i purposely reduce the cushioning (but still have, thats why 'minimalist' not barefoot), then learn to run more efficiently, and do appropriate distance (like half my usual), i hoping will strengthen the muscles.

complete conversion to minimalist including long distance (i consider 10k and above long distance but thats only relative to my running), i not confident can pull off, i dont think good for me to do at this time, but whether its true some people say is actually better i'm open to the idea.

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of the Vibram Five Fingers?

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too extreme for me. i realli dun dare. not at this time anyway.

after using the saucony kinvara, with the 4mm heel drop, for the past month and deliberately changing my running style from heel strike to mid foot, i do find myself running more efficiently (as in faster, further with less energy required, and less joint pains). but i am still trying to make the midfoot strike a natural running style; i find that when i'm tired, or i start going fast like ippt 2.4km, my running stride like somewhere in between. the heel strike is still too ingrained into my feet and legs.

for this reason i dun dare use the vibram, the vivo barefoot and other 'true' minimalist shoes. i only looking at either shoes like saucony virrata with zero heel drop but conventional cushioning, or a step further like nike hyperfeel.

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys.... Im also a new runner but ive always had joint pain, particularly my right knee... its freaking annoying and basically limits me to running on flat roads..any hills will straightaway bring out the ache in my knee.. Wondering any places/doctors that you guys can recommend for this supposed problem?
    Ride fast..ride safe..don't crash...

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ticks View Post
    hey guys.... Im also a new runner but ive always had joint pain, particularly my right knee... its freaking annoying and basically limits me to running on flat roads..any hills will straightaway bring out the ache in my knee.. Wondering any places/doctors that you guys can recommend for this supposed problem?
    i have no doctor to share, but like i mentioned in my first post, i used to experience terrible knee pain and shin splints, and am now convinced that it was due to the overly bulky and over-cushioned SAF New Balance shoes circa 2001, coupled with my running style with those shoes. and mind you at that time i ran only 3k to 4k three times a week.

so i'm suggesting it might be your shoe and your running style. what shoe may i ask? including in the past.

but i only suggesting, i no way qualified to diagnose your condition. whether its the shoes or not, its also possible that your condition is aggravated over several years and by now need surgery or injection. then again, it might also be a minor and temporary condition that can be corrected with better shoes or better running style or leg strengthening exercises.

but i can tell you that even now with what i believed to be improved running style and 'better' shoes, my joint pains are gone BUT i still cannot tackle steep downslopes. downslope is the one that damages the knees. and downslope running needs proper technique, which i am still trying to find. it takes me just one steep downslope with wrong technique and immediately i feel a discomfort in one or both knees.

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey mechwira thanks for the detailed answer.

For my history, Ive never done proper running in my life so u can say that Im an amateur when it comes to running. Ive recently taken this exercise up maybe within the pass one year, and that also not very consistently. I used to run on a adidas trail running shoe which has just died on me, Im currently on New balance 750 V2, cushioning shoe, i believe. I am now looking on youtube for running technique vids and realise that heel striking is my biggest mistake, so you're right, it's my technique. That may also explain why i feel my lower leg, particularly the shin muscles feeling damn tight after my 5k mark.

But i have to tell you that this whole knee problem was aggravated when i climbed Mount kinabalu. The first time i climbed it 2 years ago i hurt it, like u said, coming down..damn..then last year, i busted my left ankle by a bike accident but what to do, bookings made, i climbed mount K the second time a year after the first climb, just a week after the accident, with walking sticks, of course. and not surprisingly, what gave me the bulk of the pain wasn't my busted left ankle (I was wearing TCX Jupiter bike boots strapped tight at the ankle, yes you heard me right, Bike boots!), but it was my right knee, while DESCENDING. so pain that i had to lean on the sticks when i was descending. So i guess the whole knee problem didn't originate from my running in the past which i had none, but from the climbs, and further made noticeable when i took up running..

ANyway im going for my company's sponsored health screening and ill pop the question to the doc and see what she can recommend also...

keyxblade
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mechwira View Post
    i have no doctor to share, but like i mentioned in my first post, i used to experience terrible knee pain and shin splints, and am now convinced that it was due to the overly bulky and over-cushioned SAF New Balance shoes circa 2001, coupled with my running style with those shoes. and mind you at that time i ran only 3k to 4k three times a week.

so i'm suggesting it might be your shoe and your running style. what shoe may i ask? including in the past.

but i only suggesting, i no way qualified to diagnose your condition. whether its the shoes or not, its also possible that your condition is aggravated over several years and by now need surgery or injection. then again, it might also be a minor and temporary condition that can be corrected with better shoes or better running style or leg strengthening exercises.

but i can tell you that even now with what i believed to be improved running style and 'better' shoes, my joint pains are gone BUT i still cannot tackle steep downslopes. downslope is the one that damages the knees. and downslope running needs proper technique, which i am still trying to find. it takes me just one steep downslope with wrong technique and immediately i feel a discomfort in one or both knees.
    I been jogging for 6 months every week only once, as my shin hurts after the jog and it takes about 1 week to heal. any running shoe to recommend?

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keyxblade View Post
    I been jogging for 6 months every week only once, as my shin hurts after the jog and it takes about 1 week to heal. any running shoe to recommend?
    If your shin hurts its most probably down to your running style as I've discovered. Do u do heel strike when u run? Heel strike is probably the mother of all cause to shin splits. Lol. But after I changed to flat foot then I've no more shin splits d. Running style was covered in the earlier pages of the thread.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keyxblade View Post
    Disclaimer: i am not an elite runner, or an expert, or a doctor. i only share wat i read and wat i practice and discover myself.

first, like @ticks mentioned,you should focus on changing your running style. 'correct' shoes (as found by me and like-minded runners like ticks and vyruz) are supposed to complement and aid this 'correct' running style; any shoe i suggest will not by itself get rid of shin pain or knee pain, or 'suddenly' make you run with the 'correct' style.

so wats the 'wrong' method of running? "Heel Striking":

1) when your foot lands, the heel contacts the ground first.
    2) your foot lands in front of your knee.

Whats the 'correct' method? Please view the great video posted by vyruz at post #43 "Born to run coach Eric Orton". that vid explains way better than anything i can type.

so what shoes are good at helping you run this correct method? i mentioned this earlier:
    a recent popular method is to choose based on whether your running is heel strike, mid foot strike or forefoot strike. conventional shoes are mostly 12mm heel drop, and for heel strikers. some are as high as 16mm, or can go lower to 8mm. if you want to try change your running to midfoot strike, find shoes with 4mm heel drop. any higher than 4mm, i find quite difficult to do midfoot strike. if you know you can naturally run with midfoot strike, go for 0mm drop. you can all the way to shoes labelled 'minimalist' but i dun recommend it unless you really know your strike pattern and what the minimalist shoes will do.
    shoes with 4mm drop include:

Saucony Kinvara
    Saucony Mirage
    Skechers GoRun 2 and GoRun Ride
    Mizuno Wave Evo

i personally used the Kinvara 4 when i first started my change, and it worked wonders. it costs like $150, but you can find the Kinvara 3 for <$100 at Key Powersports in IMM. minor difference. The Skechers also may be a good try coz they are deliberately designed to train you to develop a midfoot strike.

Be warned: do not try shoes labelled 'minimalist' at this stage. these include:

New Balance Minimus Zero
    Skechers GoBionic
    Vibram Fivefingers

these are strictly for advanced runners well into forefoot strike. even @vyruz cautions against these shoes in your transition stage. i have the NB Minimus Zero purely for advanced forefoot strike training, and even after 4 months of changing and adapting to the 'correct' running, i still cannot use them for ippt 2.4km or any distance above 8km. but as running strike trainers they are perfect, AFTER i adapted.

Good Luck
    Last edited by mechwira; 27-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the pieces seem to fit then.

1) past injury
    2) heel striking
    3) yes, descending is what causes and aggravates any injury, not ascending.
    4) trail shoes also possible.
    5) shin pain at 5k? yeah thats exactly the signal that either the shoe or your running technique (maybe both) not quite right.

if you got sponsored doctor might as well get a diagnosis man.

if i were in your shoes (no pun intended), i'd try change shoes, change running stride, and run completely flat terrain. if after a month the pain is reducing, i know i'm on the right track (again no pun intended ). but if the pain persists, pro help definitely needed.

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea. Anyway my NB is only a week old so I'm actually testing out this pair of shoes as well. And yes I'm running flat terrain with the slight inclines along tanglin road area, nth too damaging. I'll start changing my running style tonight and see how it goes over the next weeks and update on this thread. Hopefully it still stays active. Lol.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just to share my own experience about changing running style away from heel striking.

the trick is to purposely run with smaller steps and 'pedal' faster. plus the entire time you must consciously keep thinking to yourself to let the middle of the foot hit the ground, bend the knees a bit more and don't "dig your boots".

it will confirm feel awkward at the start if your usual running is heel strike. this awkwardness also makes it feel more tiring, tempting you to revert to your usual style. some more you will think how can 'pedal' faster, then smaller steps go slower, be less tiring and more efficient?

but strangely if you keep at it for two weeks, you start finding that you are jogging back to the same speed as before yet it feels noticeably less tiring. after 3 weeks you start finding your speed slightly faster than before, and still not as tiring.

i also have opinions about the right shoe for this running style, but i think i wait for your update first.

good luck.

skyblueblue
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm running so i can pass my ippt. Didn't realise shoe and running posture can affect knee pain.. i always thought it was wear and tear.

thanks for the tips
    Trying to clock 50 posts DONE !

skyblueblue
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm running so i can pass my ippt. Didn't realise shoe and running posture can affect knee pain.. i always thought it was wear and tear.

thanks for the tips

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually doctors can't help with issues like joint pains (they'll prob ask you to xray and if nothing shows up they say sorry, can't help) but you can consider consulting a physiotherapist. Doctors may seem like a class above physios cos their degrees take forever to finish but if the matters are not within their expertise they can be pretty ignorant.

I've encountered senior consultants who are pretty rubbish. I fractured my finger while surfing and the senior consultant said oh no worries no need surgery your finger will heal, will become misshapened but fully functional. I asked him whether I will be able to rock-climb he said yes. Total rubbish. My finger never went back to 100% functional so now I have to schedule a surgery.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skyblueblue View Post
    to be precise, it IS wear and tear, but one that is caused by wrong shoes and poor running form.

interestingly, recently they conducted the first and ONLY scientific peer-reviewed studies on running shoes based on pronation control (you know, flat/high/neutral arch and over/under pronate and motion control or stability or neutral shoes). and they found that contrary to what the shoe companies are telling you, two groups of people, one prescribed 'correct' pronation control shoes and the other purposely given 'wrong' prescription; and the rate of injury between these two groups was.... the same....

skyblueblue
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be precise, it IS wear and tear, but one that is caused by wrong shoes and poor running form.

interestingly, recently they conducted the first and ONLY scientific peer-reviewed studies on running shoes based on pronation control (you know, flat/high/neutral arch and over/under pronate and motion control or stability or neutral shoes). and they found that contrary to what the shoe companies are telling you, two groups of people, one prescribed 'correct' pronation control shoes and the other purposely given 'wrong' prescription; and the rate of injury between these two groups was.... the same....
    Any suggestion for choosing the correct shoe?

Now I have a SAF issue Asics and addias adizero feather which I wear.

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glucosamine works. My doctor friends say there isn't any "scientific proof" why it works so they cannot recommend it professionally but experience tell them it works. Like most supplements you have to cycle off it after a while though.

humph
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone selling a Nike+ here:
    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums...i-casio-n-more

but I cannot figure out what he's selling lol.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by humph View Post
    Someone selling a Nike+ here:
    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums...i-casio-n-more

but I cannot figure out what he's selling lol.
    thats the Nike+ Sportsband, not the same as the Sportswatch. the Sportsband does not have HRM, it works purely with the Nike+ shoe sensor to estimate the distance you run. it works with the Nike+ website for online logging and all, but no GPS nor HRM.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skyblueblue View Post
    Any suggestion for choosing the correct shoe?
    ask ten different people and you get ten different answers. even 'experts' cannot agree what is the 'correct' shoe; they can't even agree what is the 'correct method of running', or even if there is such a thing.

but they can agree on one thing: if the shoe you are wearing, with the running style that you have, you 1) feel NO discomfort during a run, and 2) feel NO pain after a run, might as well call the shoe 'correct' for you. muscle soreness is ok, but pain in joints or bones is a dead giveaway something is wrong with your shoe, or running style, or both.

you can choose based on the traditional method of flat/high/neutral arch, and then use neutral or motion control or stability shoes. this one you should choose asics or saucony or new balance or mizuno, because they categorize their shoes this way. reebok, nike and adidas generally do not. but like i mentioned earlier, a recent scientific study showed that choosing a shoe based on your pronation apparently does not change the likelihood of getting a running injury.

a recent popular method is to choose based on whether your running is heel strike, mid foot strike or forefoot strike. conventional shoes are mostly 12mm heel drop, and for heel strikers. some are as high as 16mm, or can go lower to 8mm. if you want to try change your running to midfoot strike, find shoes with 4mm heel drop. any higher than 4mm, i find quite difficult to do midfoot strike. if you know you can naturally run with midfoot strike, go for 0mm drop. you can all the way to shoes labelled 'minimalist' but i dun recommend it unless you really know your strike pattern and what the minimalist shoes will do.

or you can just heck care and just try a shoe, walk around, do jogging motion, and if it feels comfortable just go for it. brands like nike, reebok and adidas dun have all the specifications like above, they market their shoes based on gimmick technology like zigtech, boost and free. cant say they are wrong, but i find it hard to choose shoes from them when i donno their specs, just the gimmicks.

currently i subscribe to the midfoot strike method of choosing shoe. but i cannot guarantee my method works for you.

skyblueblue
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ask ten different people and you get ten different answers. even 'experts' cannot agree what is the 'correct' shoe; they can't even agree what is the 'correct method of running', or even if there is such a thing.

but they can agree on one thing: if the shoe you are wearing, with the running style that you have, you 1) feel NO discomfort during a run, and 2) feel NO pain after a run, might as well call the shoe 'correct' for you. muscle soreness is ok, but pain in joints or bones is a dead giveaway something is wrong with your shoe, or running style, or both.

you can choose based on the traditional method of flat/high/neutral arch, and then use neutral or motion control or stability shoes. this one you should choose asics or saucony or new balance or mizuno, because they categorize their shoes this way. reebok, nike and adidas generally do not. but like i mentioned earlier, a recent scientific study showed that choosing a shoe based on your pronation apparently does not change the likelihood of getting a running injury.

or you can just heck care and just try a shoe, walk around, do jogging motion, and if it feels comfortable just go for it. brands like nike, reebok and adidas dun have all the specifications like above, they market their shoes based on gimmick technology like zigtech, boost and free. cant say they are wrong, but i find it hard to choose shoes from them when i donno their specs, just the gimmicks.

currently i subscribe to the midfoot strike method of choosing shoe. but i cannot guarantee my method works for you.
    kk thanks. the heel thickness makes alot of sense

ulysses_sc
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic a little... so who's interested in triathlons here?
    Past: KDX200, LC4 400, LC4 620, GSXR750WR
    Present: CBR900RRY, Gas Gas EC250, XR250L, XR250RV, XR400 (motard-ed), NX650 Dominator

Tanarthur
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. I got a cheap HRM from Qoo10 to try out first. Trying for the fat burn heart rate.. See how things goes.... Thanks again..
    I AM BACK!!!!!

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback. I got a cheap HRM from Qoo10 to try out first. Trying for the fat burn heart rate.. See how things goes.... Thanks again..
    yeah!

this was exactly how my current obsession with running started. i got an HRM, and simply targeted the fat burning zone while doing treadmill. if below i went faster, if above i slowed down. eventually i found i could keep within that zone on my treadmill for 40 mins.

then out of curiosity i went out and did actual jogging while targeting this same zone for just 20mins. at first my run felt unnaturally slow and unsatisfying because by keeping within the zone, my speed was much lower than my usual ippt pace.

but i just kept at it, after a week, i upped to 25 mins. then after that 30 mins. by the time i hit 40mins, i realized i had found the 'magic pace' that allowed me to go 6km and above without ever hitting that exhaustion point where you just felt like you couldn run anymore. all i had to do was adjust my speed to make sure i was always inside the heart rate zone.

after that, no looking back....

Tanarthur
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah!

this was exactly how my current obsession with running started. i got an HRM, and simply targeted the fat burning zone while doing treadmill. if below i went faster, if above i slowed down. eventually i found i could keep within that zone on my treadmill for 40 mins.

then out of curiosity i went out and did actual jogging while targeting this same zone for just 20mins. at first my run felt unnaturally slow and unsatisfying because by keeping within the zone, my speed was much lower than my usual ippt pace.

but i just kept at it, after a week, i upped to 25 mins. then after that 30 mins. by the time i hit 40mins, i realized i had found the 'magic pace' that allowed me to go 6km and above without ever hitting that exhaustion point where you just felt like you couldn run anymore. all i had to do was adjust my speed to make sure i was always inside the heart rate zone.

after that, no looking back....
    Will be collecting my HRM today at singpost. Going to try out later for my run. So let say I want to burn fat, I need to run at the designated % heart beat... But after which I will be doing resistance training to build up the muscle. So I will not need to monitor the heart beat right?
    I AM BACK!!!!!

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be collecting my HRM today at singpost. Going to try out later for my run. So let say I want to burn fat, I need to run at the designated % heart beat... But after which I will be doing resistance training to build up the muscle. So I will not need to monitor the heart beat right?
    ideally, for max fat burning you'll want to keep to 60%-70% of your MHR for 40mins, maybe 4 times a week. if you totally never work out for past few months, i suggest targeting 20mins of this zone, and increase by 5 mins every week. but if you have been working out in some way, you might be able to hit 30mins or even the full 40; it really depends on your current state of fitness. note that as the weeks go by and you consistently keep this up, you will find that you have to gradually increase your running speed to hit this zone because you're getting fitter.

but if you then do muscle building like resistance or weights then yes the heart rate is no longer relevant, the technique becomes about amount of resistance and number of reps.

i use this website to calculate my MHR by the way.

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol mechwira. Tried changing to ball strike. Now three days can't walk calf muscle injured. Damn te stroke is hard to get right once you're accustomed to the wrong type.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ticks View Post
    Lol mechwira. Tried changing to ball strike. Now three days can't walk calf muscle injured. Damn te stroke is hard to get right once you're accustomed to the wrong type.
    haha i noe exactly the pain you're talking about. the only thing that kept me going was knowing that calf muscle pain is a sign muscle getting stronger, and no pain felt in joints and shin which was great. it took me two weeks of regular and conscious trying before it started to feel half-natural.

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya man. Now yokoyoko is my good friend. Haha. Waiting to recover then try again. Lol. Amazing to think how totally different muscles are at work while running with a certain stroke.

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yah. before this, i'd only go out and run/jog two months before ippt or ict. and that first week is always a killer coz leg muscles have been dormant for months. but after that first week, usually muscle soreness never come back as i continue my training regime.

but when i started changing my running form, i was also totally surprised how muscle soreness kept coming almost every week. midfoot strike was using a lot of muscles that were not working as hard as normal heel strike running.

but whats more amazing was the results. i could run further, faster and more regularly than before. and my 2.4km timing is now at a whole new level.

right now i just bought New Balance Minimus Road Zero for shoe rotation. i wanted a 'very minimalist' shoe for rotation, purely to further refine my running form and strengthen the muscles further.

this shoe came with a warning tag, and the warning was no gimmick. it totally felt like like running with those 'japanese rubber slippers' glued to your feet. very harsh, and completely not for newbies. in fact for now i'd never use it for any performance or distance running. but as a running form trainer, its perfect. it does not forgive poor running form. run with a heel strike, and you WILL suffer in these shoes

vyruz
    : por fuera of the box
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice topic mechwira.

I run for recreation as well. Until April this year, I'd run almost exclusively on treadmills and even then suffered shin splints regularly. In April, the following things happened:

1. I read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. This is a great read for runners and inspired me to move toward minimalist shoes.

2. Ditched my Nike Free 5.0 and got a 0mm drop, 8mm cush Merrell Bare Access 2. I love this shoe. The toe box is large so my feet can splay comfortably and the material breathes really well.

As you say, the transition of heel striking to mid foot striking causes a lot of fatigue to begin with, but it gets better, as you found out. It's worked out so well for me that I've bought Merrell's barest running shoe online a few weeks back, the Vapor Glove. 0mm drop, 0mm cush. I'm keen to see how this works out!

3. The new shoes forced me to change to mid-foot strike and a faster cadence. I went from struggling 5km to managing 10km feeling good and, best of all, wanting to slowly add more kilometers as time goes on. And no more shin splints - something I thought I would never shake off!

4. I relied on the Nike Running app to track my distance and the numbers keep me motivated. I started running home from work - this is a great way to end the work day - but of course only applies if you're within running distance to home.

Speaking of which, time to run home from work. Keep on running guys!
    Cry 'Havoc'.....and let slip the dogs of war

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vyruz View Post

1. I read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. This is a great read for runners and inspired me to move toward minimalist shoes.
    yes... YES...! This was exactly how i started too! it coincided with me commencing my annual 2-months-before-ippt regular jog. and the rest of my story is exactly identical to yours!

paying more attention to foot strike... changing to lower drop shoes... i'm also now on a zero drop minimalist shoe, the new balance minimus road zero, and yes my cadence shoots up with that shoe, but i will admit my transition to midfoot strike is still not perfect, i cannot handle that shoe in a real ippt pace or distances above 5km. the cushioned 4mm drop Saucony Kinvara is still my go-to shoe, but its getting better each time i do training with that minimus road zero.

Fredd
    needs a new bike!!!
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For ts, there is 2xu run on 2 mar 2014. N der is an early bird rate till 31 dec for 10km for juz $45. Dat should be ur target to motivate u to run

For shin splints, i usually rub sum heating cream like tiger balm or those muscle aches. Dat sumwhat relieves me of e pain.

I run wif e army asics shoes...very comfy..hehehe

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk 2

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
    For ts, there is 2xu run on 2 mar 2014. N der is an early bird rate till 31 dec for 10km for juz $45. Dat should be ur target to motivate u to run

For shin splints, i usually rub sum heating cream like tiger balm or those muscle aches. Dat sumwhat relieves me of e pain.

I run wif e army asics shoes...very comfy..hehehe

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk 2
    hey thanks for the heads-up, that timing sounds about right for me to be ready to do a 10km. my target would be under 1 hour.

and the shin splints, i think even if tiger balm relieves the paint, since the pain is at the shin bone and/or soft tissue, it is still indicative of something very wrong.
    Last edited by mechwira; 16-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.

vyruz
    : por fuera of the box
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

and the shin splints, i think even if tiger balm relieves the paint, since the pain is at the shin bone and/or soft tissue, it is still indicative of something very wrong.
    I agree. The best explanation I've read is that shin splints are partly the result of heel striking. When the heel hits the ground first, the rest of the foot 'slaps' down hard on the road, and the muscles on the shin bone can't take this repeated impact. They're only really made to lift your foot upwardly, which does not require too much effort.

The first thing that reduced my shin splints is doing stretches specific to the shin area. I do these after I complete my run:

The next is trying to improve running form. Mechwira, I'm with you bro - it's hard to do it for very long! I think I start with okay foot strikes (light quick strikes) but as I get tired, the form suffers. I try to remind myself that bad form will only make me more tired, and I try to recall Eric Orton's (the guy who trained Chris McDougall) advice in this video. Hope it helps you too!

Cry 'Havoc'.....and let slip the dogs of war

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats a great eric orton vid. first time i've heard to use the knee to drive forward. i've been focusing on toe-off to drive forward.

so just now i tried it out, in my minimus shoes. absolutely great; my cadence was good and my running form felt further refined. how do i know?

coz after weeks of feeling good now my calf muscles are killing me again

ticks
    is learning supermoto
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats a great eric orton vid. first time i've heard to use the knee to drive forward. i've been focusing on toe-off to drive forward.

so just now i tried it out, in my minimus shoes. absolutely great; my cadence was good and my running form felt further refined. how do i know?

coz after weeks of feeling good now my calf muscles are killing me again
    Hey mech u sure u use the knee drive all the way of your run? I ran on that and I think I almost killed my calf. Had to limp for three days man. I think the knee drive is more to sprints right..? Not mentioned in the video la. Also u notice the two girls jogging past him in the vid was doing heel strikes. Hehehhe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast