skytng
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually another main factor is also the bike shops, although their cause and effect not so apparent

recently i wanted to sell off my class 2 bike to purchase another one, i went down to one of the big players in kaki bukit, they have tons of high end bikes and im interested in one of them, tried my luck and asked about trade in, kenna shoot upside down by the sales guy because he thinks my pricing unreasonable...

the point i'm saying is, they have LOTS of brand new bikes in their showroom, the bike COE quota already so low and yet these big bike shops still continue to bid and keep bikes in their shop, keeping the demand there, of course COE will keep going up. secondly, i realized they are selling second hand bikes at quite low price, meaning that even the second hand market pricing are controlled by bike shops, i listed my asking price on the forum as so and so, then i saw their ad and have to drastically reduce my asking price, afterall, for the same pricing, one would rather get a second hand bike from shops than direct user. thirdly, i read this comment somewhere that bike shops are able to cope with rising COE is because the higher cost means people have to take larger loan from them and they earn from installments too.

tl;dr: bike shops are one of the factor jacking up bike COE

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ppl dont have to buy new bikes bro... buying a new bike is what precisely that is driving the demand for COE. not the bikes kept in the shops.

as for 2nd hand bike prices... I feel asking price of direct sellers are too high. That's y u see many bikes put on sale not just for months but for years! Anyway, sellers can hold, no harm lah.. just need to wait for willing buyer.

The increase of COE is purely becos of govt reducing the supply.. no others to be blamed but the govt. And they will not do anything abt it....
    Liverpool revival has started....

stsoh
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no point complaining about coe.......it is a total scam, cant all of u sense it.
    only the poor complain, not the rich......so get on with it.
    next best is this...... http://list.qoo10.sg/item/SUPERIOR-R...41860?sid=5312
    affortable, so why not enjoy this now.....later u know papaya will put restrictions on it.

stsoh
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stsoh
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

imo, discourage others from buying new moped (class 2b) or <400cc (class 2a) bikes from now onward.
    buy second hand bikes from bike shops or individual owners.
    drop in demand for coe, price will drop, all can bid lower coe in the future.
    if sillyporeans r street smart (use ur brain) instead of book smart (simply follow).
    nowadays garmen r encouraging sillyporeans to be smarter, since primary school kids r getting smarter than their parents (whom cant solve simple psle questions).
    Last edited by stsoh; 22-10-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Orleng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very simple answer. Lower quota and also the larger number of ppl buying new bikes from shops under installment / lease.

To be honest, the shops are the ones screwing us over.

Ok, to bid for cat D coe, you only need a $200 deposit per bid. After winning the coe, you can hold it for 6mths without utilizing it. If you don't register a vehicle within 6 months, deposit is forfeit.

When registered, a 10 year coe is issued.

Shop A bids up the price. Obtain 50 coe. Only 10 buyers this month, hold on to the other 40, (40 x 200 = 8k deposit if not used in 6 months). Take the example at 6k per coe.

6months later, as long as coe prices are rising, the shop can offer a "coe rebate". E.g. Now the coe is 6.5k after fluctuations. Shop offers you 500 dollar rebate to entice buyers and clear their 40 "6k coe".

The additional difference between the 6k and 200dollar deposit is paid only when the coe is registered.

Assuming no one buys bikes, they lose the 8k deposit. But they make more from the interest they can charge for the 10 bikes they sold. Assuming the rates of 6% for 6k over 3 years. It's a simplistic view, but as long as coe continues to climb, the shops can afford to big big and sit for 6mths on them.

If I'm mistaken, pls do enlighten me.

Shops offer the rebate to make it a good deal as it seems like you're getting a lower priced coe. In actuality, you're buying their old leftover coes from cheaper months. As long as price rises, shop will not lose. And there will always be new buyers cuz of these perceived "good rebate deals"
    Smile! Tomorrow will be worse.

SBT #1149 Price List

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orleng View Post
    Very simple answer. Lower quota and also the larger number of ppl buying new bikes from shops under installment / lease.

To be honest, the shops are the ones screwing us over.

Ok, to bid for cat D coe, you only need a $200 deposit per bid. After winning the coe, you can hold it for 6mths without utilizing it. 1) If you don't register a vehicle within 6 months, deposit is forfeit.

When registered, a 10 year coe is issued.

Shop A bids up the price. Obtain 50 coe. Only 10 buyers this month, hold on to the other 40, (40 x 200 = 8k deposit if not used in 6 months). Take the example at 6k per coe.

6months later, as long as coe prices are rising, the shop can offer a "coe rebate". E.g. Now the coe is 6.5k after fluctuations. Shop offers you 500 dollar rebate to entice buyers and clear their 40 "6k coe".

2) The additional difference between the 6k and 200dollar deposit is paid only when the coe is registered.

Assuming no one buys bikes, they lose the 8k deposit. But they make more from the interest they can charge for the 10 bikes they sold. Assuming the rates of 6% for 6k over 3 years. It's a simplistic view, but as long as coe continues to climb, the shops can afford to big big and sit for 6mths on them.

If I'm mistaken, pls do enlighten me.

3) Shops offer the rebate to make it a good deal as it seems like you're getting a lower priced coe. In actuality, you're buying their old leftover coes from cheaper months. As long as price rises, shop will not lose. And there will always be new buyers cuz of these perceived "good rebate deals"
    There are 3 things that you might have mentioned wrongly but I also cannot confirm i am correct either becoz I am not sure how the COE system works. It only base on my understanding of the system.
    1) I believe once dealer got the COE, they will need to pay the balance in order to secure the COE. If dealer didnt pay the balance after a specific period, the deposit will be forfeited.
    2) COE was paid the moment dealer got the COE, not when they register the bike.
    3) Dealer cannot fool the buyer with older COE becoz the information in vehicle ownership will reflect the COE price. Sooner or later buyer will know they are getting the older COE. (ie: COE price cheaper than current COE price)

Anyone is familiar with the system can clarify on these issues.

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many factors that contributed to the rise in COE prices:

1) quota reduced to reduce traffic congestion (eg: last time 10 ppl bid for 9 COE, now 10 ppl bid for 6 COE)
    2) due to exp car prices and loan restriction, some drivers are converting to riding bike (more demand for COE)
    3) dealers are bidding extra COEs to keep for future use (more demand for COE again)
    4) existing riders with bike COE expiring and prefer to get new bikes instead of secondhand bike (again...more demand for COE)
    5) new rider just got their license wanted new bike since bike loan is affordable (more and more demand for COE)

If we think deeper, all these factors are inter-related to each other. When there is a change in policy, many factors will be affected.
    Last edited by honda5583; 25-10-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Orleng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by honda5583 View Post
    There are 3 things that you might have mentioned wrongly but I also cannot confirm i am correct either becoz I am not sure how the COE system works. It only base on my understanding of the system.
    1) I believe once dealer got the COE, they will need to pay the balance in order to secure the COE. If dealer didnt pay the balance after a specific period, the deposit will be forfeited.
    2) COE was paid the moment dealer got the COE, not when they register the bike.
    3) Dealer cannot fool the buyer with older COE becoz the information in vehicle ownership will reflect the COE price. Sooner or later buyer will know they are getting the older COE. (ie: COE price cheaper than current COE price)

Anyone is familiar with the system can clarify on these issues.
    As lifted from One Motoring.

"A fixed bid deposit of $200 for category D (motorcycles) or $10,000 (or $5,000 for bid applications during the COE bidding exercises conducted from October 2009 to September 2010) for other categories will be deducted from your bank account upon submission of your bid application."

"COEs bid in Categories A, B and D are valid for 6 months, while COEs in Categories C and E are valid for 3 months ("Temporary COE"). If the Temporary COE (TCOE) successfully bid for the registration of vehicle is not utilised by its expiry date, the TCOE will lapse and its full bid deposit[color="blue'] [ie. $200 for Category D[/color] and $10,000 (or $5,000 for bid applications during the COE bidding exercises conducted from October 2009 to September 2010) for Categories A, B, C and E] forfeited."

"At the time of registration, the difference between the Quota Premium(QP) and your bid deposit is payable. If your deposit is more than the QP, the difference will be used to offset ARF and RF involved in registering your vehicle."

"Upon registration, a 10-year COE will be issued to the vehicle."

If my understanding is correct. You get a TCOE upon successful bid for a COE. The TCOE has to be utilised to register a vehicle within 6 months for Cat D. Upon registration, you pay up the diff between the deposit and what the QP was at the time you won the COE. Once registered, a 10 year COE is issued.

Discussed here before I think.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums...diculous/page3
    Last edited by Orleng; 25-10-2015 at 07:25 PM.

SBT #1149 Price List

Orleng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest problem with the motorcycle COE supply chain is simply this.

Factored growth is set at 0.25%.

10% (as of now) of deregistered motorcycle (and all other categories) is transferred to Cat E (Open Cat)

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/lt...locationRV.pdf

looking at the latest VQS. 90 "Growth COE" for Cat D.

2258 Motorcycles scrapped from Apr - June

225 Of those COEs go to Cat E

2033 Replacement Cat D COE available.

6 Expired Unusued COEs Apr-Jun (those unused COEs forfeited)

2258 (deregistered in apr-jun) - 225 + 90 + 6 = 2129 available COE available from Jul-Oct.

2258 - 2129 = 129 less motorcycles. And this is for the 3mth period.

There were 144,467 motorcycles on the road last year. at 0.25% growth. that's 361 "New COE" in total for this year. Whilst we lost 10% of our deregistered to Cat E.

It's not due to traffic congestion. It's basically, the 10% of Cat D deregistered COEs going to Cat E. It is going to be perpetual negative growth. Will never increase ever again. The replacement rate is lower than the % rate going to Cat E.

Why motorcycle COE going to Cat E? It just creates more congestion. At the same time, it generates more money. And rids Singapore of motorcycles.

I am a rider, I don't like it either, but, Ownself Check Ownself.

SBT #1149 Price List

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orleng View Post
    As lifted from One Motoring.

"A fixed bid deposit of $200 for category D (motorcycles) or $10,000 (or $5,000 for bid applications during the COE bidding exercises conducted from October 2009 to September 2010) for other categories will be deducted from your bank account upon submission of your bid application."

"COEs bid in Categories A, B and D are valid for 6 months, while COEs in Categories C and E are valid for 3 months ("Temporary COE"). If the Temporary COE (TCOE) successfully bid for the registration of vehicle is not utilised by its expiry date, the TCOE will lapse and its full bid deposit[color="blue'] [ie. $200 for Category D[/color] and $10,000 (or $5,000 for bid applications during the COE bidding exercises conducted from October 2009 to September 2010) for Categories A, B, C and E] forfeited."

"At the time of registration, the difference between the Quota Premium(QP) and your bid deposit is payable. If your deposit is more than the QP, the difference will be used to offset ARF and RF involved in registering your vehicle."

"Upon registration, a 10-year COE will be issued to the vehicle."

If my understanding is correct. You get a TCOE upon successful bid for a COE. The TCOE has to be utilised to register a vehicle within 6 months for Cat D. Upon registration, you pay up the diff between the deposit and what the QP was at the time you won the COE. Once registered, a 10 year COE is issued.
    I see.. Orleng is correct. Upon registration of vehicle den pay the balance and COE will be issued valid for 10 years.
    So dealer only need to pay $200 to bid COE for bike which can last them for 6 months.
    Seriously, dealers for bike has very little to lose as compare to cars ($10,000)
    No wonder the COE remains high.

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some riders dont know that they might be getting the past month coe

its good to check when buying

for example asking them whether are they going to bid or giving ready coe
    if giving ready coe, check the coe value against the bike selling price
    who knows they give you 4k coe but charge you witl 6k coe
    by the time you collect your bike and realise lower coe was given, too late already

Angry
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I know how to check the ready and the bid COE ? I thot the most important is the date of COE.

duo
    would rather be a troll than the champion..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[

KRGT-1
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

blacksilver
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for authorities to squeeze the e-bike speedsters,I suppose.
    With MRT breakdown for new transport minister to deal with on A level exam day.
    You can't say you've arrived at your destination until you're actually there.
    I saw the chaos at Khatib and Yishun and the bus stop stampede this morning opposite the affected stations!
    They really want everyone to be able the all-new-and-revised by 2018 world class transportation rail network.
    I'll take the risk and ride till then or when COE is too costly ...

duo
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    KRGT-1
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

euphonium07
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like it will be quite some time before i can afford a brand new bike.....

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by honda5583 View Post
    I see.. Orleng is correct. Upon registration of vehicle den pay the balance and COE will be issued valid for 10 years.
    So dealer only need to pay $200 to bid COE for bike which can last them for 6 months.
    Seriously, dealers for bike has very little to lose as compare to cars ($10,000)
    No wonder the COE remains high.
    Yes that why they are the ones driving up the COE. I am thinking, can the policy change to entice individual buyers. Examples, alternate months for self bidders. In this case, it will truly reflect what the market wanted to pay for the current COE, of course the catch is by cold hard cash.
    I am thinking, no one in the right would pay 6k for COE. Only Big Players can bid as high as they want and move the sale.
    They uses their corporate account and bids for 100COE, they have no qualm in bidding high as they are not the one paying it, in fact high loan means higher interests and commission.
    Anyway $200 opportunity cost is cheap to reel in a potential 1-10k profit, it doesn't hurt them but it hurt us.
    I am just waiting for COE to bear so I can just renew my bike. Those waiting to renew get affected as well.
    Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

beginner444
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sad, what is happening?

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beginner444 View Post
    sad, what is happening?
    Maybe bid myself this coming rd, want to get a small scooter.
    Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Gear 4th

duo
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hachi View Post
    Maybe bid myself this coming rd, want to get a small scooter.
    Wishing you all the best.
    KRGT-1

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bid $100 for this coming COE. Hopefully i can get a small scooter...

Gear 4th

ciscube
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With open bidding, it's almost impossible to get such a price.

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciscube View Post
    With open bidding, it's almost impossible to get such a price.
    You never know. I don't believe with such economy climate, people still diving into loans? Then is ok I just loss $2, no issue, cheaper than buying 4D and toto.
    If not I am thinking of new Yamaha Cygnus 125 or even trinity.
    Last edited by hachi; 20-01-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Gear 4th

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just loss $2.....haiz...

Gear 4th

ciscube
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may not be the buyers that are in the bidding. The shops may also bid under their own names. They could hold the paper up to six months before registering a bike. Thereafter transfer the bike to a buyer.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

rekkan
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duo View Post
    Haha nice pic

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr Ng Chee Meng says in parliament that doing a 2-tier motorcycle COE system will "introduce volatility".

Perhaps the esteemed Mr Ng Chee Meng could also explain why the car's 2-tier system, either this "volatility" he's talking about either doesn't happen or happens but is acceptable but motorcycles are different.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, going to bid again this round. $288.....huat ah...

Gear 4th

Jehuty
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mechwira View Post
    Mr Ng Chee Meng says in parliament that doing a 2-tier motorcycle COE system will "introduce volatility".

Perhaps the esteemed Mr Ng Chee Meng could also explain why the car's 2-tier system, either this "volatility" he's talking about either doesn't happen or happens but is acceptable but motorcycles are different.
    No point pondering, can't fix wayang.

stsoh
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mechwira View Post

every scheme(s) papaya come out with, will dig deeper into everyones' pocket for their bigger pay checks.
    ft/pr/new citizens will believe n have faith in papayas.....not sillyporeans.

nibihz
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can only buy second hand after I pass TP

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also don't agree with 2 tier COE for bikes. There is stronger demand for smaller bikes. end up smaller bikes COE will be higher than big bikes!!

be careful what u wish for boys!

filtered
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    I also don't agree with 2 tier COE for bikes. There is stronger demand for smaller bikes. end up smaller bikes COE will be higher than big bikes!!

be careful what u wish for boys!
    Good point.

Basic supply and demand issue. Govt cut supply of COE, hence price driven up. No other conspiracy theory here.

Majority of new bikes registered are smaller bikes. Those that need it for transport or for work etc, thus have n choice but to bear the cost of high COE.

Big bikes usually are bought for leisure, not really a neccessity. The buyers maybe more affluent and can afford the COE easily, but they are not stupid either. They wont pay $6k+ to the govt for nothing. (can buy full set of Ohlins suspension and still have change hehehe), hence are likely to wait it out till coe falls to an acceptable level.

Therefore if have 2 tier system, i wont be surprised if the COE for big bikes is way lower than small bikes

stommer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by filtered View Post
    Good point.
    Big bikes usually are bought for leisure, not really a neccessity. The buyers maybe more affluent and can afford the COE easily, but they are not stupid either. They wont pay $6k+ to the govt for nothing. (can buy full set of Ohlins suspension and still have change hehehe), hence are likely to wait it out till coe falls to an acceptable level.
    They are not stupid. They just don't think much of 6k, or 8k or 10k. Think about it, large capacity car buyers don't think much of sub 100k coe, what makes you think 6k coe means something to the 20+% class 2 bikers.

It is the 70+% class 2B bikers who will hold back and possibly reduce demand and hence prices. It will take a couple years because coe has only just rose in recent 1+ year. When those 2b bikers who bought bike at low coe finish their 10 yr coe then u will see price drop. That is if gahmen don't do more operation cold store on bike coe.

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stommer View Post
    They are not stupid. They just don't think much of 6k, or 8k or 10k. Think about it, large capacity car buyers don't think much of sub 100k coe, what makes you think 6k coe means something to the 20+% class 2 bikers.

It is the 70+% class 2B bikers who will hold back and possibly reduce demand and hence prices. It will take a couple years because coe has only just rose in recent 1+ year. When those 2b bikers who bought bike at low coe finish their 10 yr coe then u will see price drop. That is if gahmen don't do more operation cold store on bike coe.
    I beg to differ as I don't as much new class 2 super bikes as much as maybe 5 years ago, no doubt exciting models come out every now and then.
    The current low volume of COE hurts smaller bike owners.
    Maybe gov cold store the COE and release only when times are bad.

Gear 4th

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one way is to allocate much more COEs to the lower CC bike CAT & lesser to class 2 bikes. Anyway, there are many ways to make COE more affordable but the one in control don't see it as a problem.

If u look at car COEs, the COE amount has been higher than the price of cars for a long time. So the situation seen by the one in control is that bike COEs has been underpriced for a long time. That's why they tweak the supply so that it goes up.

filtered
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's where I disagree.....6k, 8k or 10k may not be much to the more affluent in terms of absolute amount, but you'd be surprised they are actually more careful with how they spend their money, and look to get maximum returns on what they spend on. Maybe one of the reasons why they got rich in the first place hahaha

If COE too high, nvm they can afford to wait till it falls, or the dealership gives promo like free COE or something. After all, the bike may just be another collection to their stable, and they have other modes of transport, so no hurry.
    Maybe there are some that really filthy rich and can just spend to get immediate satisfaction....but how many ppl are like that? i think insignificant to influence the price.
    The richer they are, usually the more ngiao with their money hahha

However the 2B bike rider who's COE is expiring, and needs the bike for work, doesnt have the luxury of waiting. Which one as more urgency to buy? Besides lots of financing options nowadays, and which one is more likely to take loan? Think abt it
    Last edited by filtered; 26-02-2016 at 11:26 PM.

stommer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people keep buying new bikes at current coe prices it will only keep the prices high. So, I hope u two are right, hachi and filtered.

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people keep buying new bikes at current coe prices it will only keep the prices high. So, I hope u two are right, hachi and filtered.
    Sometimes they have no choice, like I illustrated, the opportunity cost is low for dealers. The currently system takes a toll on smaller bike buyers rather than those used for leisure. Like myself , I kept my GSXR600K7 for leisure only. I travelled less than 400km for the past 6 months. But many using it as a primary mode of commuting and livelihood, the better choice is to buy new, lesser problems and keep for long term.
    Filtered is right also, I have no problem full cash with any bike I fancy, but it does not make economy sense to me, most of my money is parked inside FD and shares. I am thinking if they could have a bidding for individual and open bidding on a monthly basis. One for only individual and those left over can flow to open bidding, this should clear the sentiment where the market heads in term of price set for COE.

Gear 4th

ghost04
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

coe is expensive now n maybe the future...but u see the number of riders upgrading? means no impact... unless they buying used bikes...

Sent from my iPhone

stay calm and carry on...

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ghost04 View Post
    coe is expensive now n maybe the future...but u see the number of riders upgrading? means no impact... unless they buying used bikes...

Sent from my iPhone
    From my observation, most likely upgrade to 2A like Super 4 or economical Cl2 bikes like Honda NX,NC series kind of bikes to make their money worth. Now I seldom encountered new class 2b bikes and cl2 super sport and super bikes. Is more like mid range between 15-20k bikes. Coz the cheapest 2b will cost around 10k, if you have the license might as well up the budget and get better rd holding and performance.
    Want to get a glim of the current superbikes, maybe yishun dam or the kallang mac.

Gear 4th

ghost04
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go used bikes thread can see liao...most are upgrading to class 2...

Sent from my iPhone

stay calm and carry on...

stommer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how having a bike is a must or a necessity. Only dispatch riders really need a bike for work. People who commute to work on bike can take public to work. If it takes 2 hours to get to work and 2 hours to get home, and you got no money to buy a bike, u take public. End of story. It is the same story with car drivers. If they have money, they buy a car. If they are priced out of the system, they take public, or they ride a bike if they dare.

Just because a biker "needs' a bike for work doesn't mean he will ride a bike to work. Yes, he can buy a bike on installment to ride to work. When the money runs out and the bike gets repossessed, he switches to public, or he doesn't go to work. If he decides he cannot upkeep the installments, he also ceases to ride to work. Look, car drivers have given up driving and switched to riding or public. How does a bikers' need for a ride to work differentiate him from car drivers who can't afford a car?

At the end of the day, affordability for a car or bike is determined by one's earning power and willingness and ability to spend. Your need is subjective, unless you are a dispatch rider.

stommer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point.

Luxury car owners owning large capacity cars also do not own cars for necessity but for leisure. What makes you think big bike owners will hold back on 6k coe when luxury car owners did not hold back on 100k coe despite being more ngiao with their money because they are rich as you have suggested?

duo
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't see how having a bike is a must or a necessity. Only dispatch riders really need a bike for work. People who commute to work on bike can take public to work. If it takes 2 hours to get to work and 2 hours to get home, and you got no money to buy a bike, u take public. End of story. It is the same story with car drivers. If they have money, they buy a car. If they are priced out of the system, they take public, or they ride a bike if they dare.

Just because a biker "needs' a bike for work doesn't mean he will ride a bike to work. Yes, he can buy a bike on installment to ride to work. When the money runs out and the bike gets repossessed, he switches to public, or he doesn't go to work. If he decides he cannot upkeep the installments, he also ceases to ride to work. Look, car drivers have given up driving and switched to riding or public. How does a bikers' need for a ride to work differentiate him from car drivers who can't afford a car?

At the end of the day, affordability for a car or bike is determined by one's earning power and willingness and ability to spend. Your need is subjective, unless you are a dispatch rider.
    Not everyone works a 9 to 5 job you know. There are people working the graveyard shift. The time when most are sleeping soundly and safely in their beds and they are not dispatch riders.
    Last edited by duo; 01-03-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    KRGT-1

stommer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duo View Post
    Not everyone works a 9 to 5 job you know. There are people working the graveyard shift. The time when most are sleeping soundly and safely in their beds and they are not dispatch riders.
    Good point. I suppose what makes 2B bikers more likely to keep buying a bike despite higher prices as compared to class 2 bikers or car drivers is that 2b bike prices are still a smaller sum of money that one can take a loan for. This would mean upward pressure for coe if they keep buying at 6k coe. Worrying trend, isn't it?

duo
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whats worrying is that the price of COE for motorcycles (supposedly transport for the less well off) more than doubled in such a short time. We all know who is happy about it.
    KRGT-1

filtered
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luxury car owners owning large capacity cars also do not own cars for necessity but for leisure. What makes you think big bike owners will hold back on 6k coe when luxury car owners did not hold back on 100k coe despite being more ngiao with their money because they are rich as you have suggested?
    Dont make sweeping generalisations. Just because some potential big bike owners do not hold back on 6k coe, does not mean that all will not hold back and all chiong in and buy. Same applies for cars.
    If COE suddenly plunges, cars u can scrap and get back the COE and PARF. Bikes got no scrap value leh, at most get back residual COE.

I ride a Cl 2 bike, and so do a close group of friends that I usually ride with. All have the same consensus that its dumb to give the govt this 6k for nothing.
    Not a matter of affordability, more of principle.

6.5k i can bring my family for nice 2 wk vacation in japan leh.....give the govt for nothing??? crazy...

Better wait for dealer promo
    Last edited by filtered; 03-03-2016 at 12:51 AM.

stommer
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont make sweeping generalisations. Just because some potential big bike owners do not hold back on 6k coe, does not mean that all will not hold back and all chiong in and buy. Same applies for cars.
    If COE suddenly plunges, cars u can scrap and get back the COE and PARF. Bikes got no scrap value leh, at most get back residual COE.

I ride a Cl 2 bike, and so do a close group of friends that I usually ride with. All have the same consensus that its dumb to give the govt this 6k for nothing.
    Not a matter of affordability, more of principle.

6.5k i can bring my family for nice 2 wk vacation in japan leh.....give the govt for nothing??? crazy...

Better wait for dealer promo
    I really wish you are right, and that COE prices go down. We will all gain. The thing is, when car COE prices plunges, its not just car owners who scrap and get back PARF who change cars. Car owners owning 3 or 4 year old cars also scrap because they top up a bit get a new car.

Many bike buyers don't buy on principle. Demand is dictated by affordability. A despatch rider making 2k plus a month wouldn't mind 6k COE. What's more a cls 2 biker spending almost 2k or 2k plus a month on living expenses such as movies, weekend makan, beers, ciggie etc. Despatch rider hardworking also can make 3+ to 4k. Taxi driver also can. Shift worker clock OT also can. Chaps working 2 part time jobs also 2k+ ok.

Fact is that after gahmen shrink the COE quota for bike, right now demand still outstrip supply. Bikers are still propping up COE prices. If you were right, COE prices should fall.

It has not happened.

Still, I wished you were right. Then none of us need to fork out 6k COE. I really do. I have no qualms against paying the gahmen less $$. I'm just too pessimistic about the COE situation i think. I wished more bikers were like you and your friends who would buy on principle. This world would be a better place. We wouldn't be f***ed by our government who shrank the bike COE quota to generate more profit. I'm the 30% and I voted Reform Party, so...

I have 8 years max to wait. 2 years ago, I forfeited 8 months worth of remaining COE and renewed early at $1700 coz i saw these high prices coming. Doesn't taking a lot to see this. A lot of people saw it coming.

Lets see how this goes.
    Last edited by stommer; 03-03-2016 at 02:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast