has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    at the end of the day, the 5-6K COE is still affordable to many (not all). Its just that we are not used to it.
    and we dont like it
    Liverpool revival has started....

filtered
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70% have spoken mah.....lol

filtered
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, bigger portion still the bread n butter bikes. but the share has reduced. Registrations of basic bikes is on the downward trend while "luxury bikes" on the increase.
    That's because the premium dealerships can offer deals like free coe. So if ur shopping for a lifestyle bike, why not take advantage of the promo?

Whereas how many bread n butter dealerships can offer free coe? They don't have enough margins to cover

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by filtered View Post
    That's because the premium dealerships can offer deals like free coe. So if ur shopping for a lifestyle bike, why not take advantage of the promo?

Whereas how many bread n butter dealerships can offer free coe? They don't have enough margins to cover
    Yeah. ... all abt margin

FTW.
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how u calculate the depreciation or from the log card?

Cos' the calculation i see, it looks more like TCO calculation.
    Last edited by FTW.; 30-09-2015 at 11:03 AM.

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FTW. View Post
    how u calculate the depreciation or from the log card?

Cos' the calculation i see, it looks more like TCO calculation.
    selling price divide by number of months left then time 12 will get yearly depreciation

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aimnfire View Post
    selling price divide by number of months left then time 12 will get yearly depreciation
    that's assuming the bike value is zero after COE expiry.

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's assuming the bike value is zero after COE expiry.
    Bike value not zero meh?
    Unlike cars which have parf value. My car that going to be scrap will get back ard 6k parf value.

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike value not zero meh?
    Unlike cars which have parf value. My car that going to be scrap will get back ard 6k parf value.
    depends on which bike lar... most 2A and all Class 2 bikes won't be zero

value not as in parf but u can fetch if u were to sell. and even when it's "zero" it's probably a couple of tens of dollars at the scrap yard.

Paikia44
    is a MBA (Married But Available)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike value not zero meh?
    You are talking 'paper value' in terms of LTA rebates. If your analogy is the fact, then all COE renewed bikes will only cost the PQP paid right? Then why isn't it so?

Buyers should understand the market. Like any commodities there's the law of demand and supply. Why the heck a old 1960's Vespa be worth more than a brandnew BMW GSA? Why a 90's Honda Super4 NC32 is worth and sought after and cost almost the same as a brandnew Super4?

For mainstream bikes, even after deregistering the bike itself could fetch a couple hundred if not a grand base on the parts which can be cannibalized and sold individually. Even the scrap metal can fetch some money.
    #ShutUp_and_Ride

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paikia44 View Post
    You are talking 'paper value' in terms of LTA rebates. If your analogy is the fact, then all COE renewed bikes will only cost the PQP paid right? Then why isn't it so?

Buyers should understand the market. Like any commodities there's the law of demand and supply. Why the heck a old 1960's Vespa be worth more than a brandnew BMW GSA? Why a 90's Honda Super4 NC32 is worth and sought after and cost almost the same as a brandnew Super4?

For mainstream bikes, even after deregistering the bike itself could fetch a couple hundred if not a grand base on the parts which can be cannibalized and sold individually. Even the scrap metal can fetch some money.
    Sorry let me clarify my term of zero value.

Yes it worth a few dollars at scrap yard and it may worth few hundred or maybe thousand for the spare. (To scrap you just need the engine and chasis)

What i dont agree is sellers either individual or shop trying to pull a fast one.

I do agree you need to make a profit but what is the limit?

For example at bikemart, there are used bikes depreciate at 3-4k when new ones depreciate at 2.5-3.5. I came across spec 3 depreciate at almost 4k. Madness isnt it.

Last time without forum or internet probably we would buy the bull story whatever the seller telling us why the price is such. Now at least with it we can trade our opinions and let others pause, think and digest it then make their decisions.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it worth a few dollars at scrap yard and it may worth few hundred or maybe thousand for the spare. (To scrap you just need the engine and chasis)

What i dont agree is sellers either individual or shop trying to pull a fast one.

For example at bikemart, there are used bikes depreciate at 3-4k when new ones depreciate at 2.5-3.5. I came across spec 3 depreciate at almost 4k. Madness isnt it.

Last time without forum or internet probably we would buy the bull story whatever the seller telling us why the price is such. Now at least with it we can trade our opinions and let others pause, think and digest it then make their decisions.
    Super 4, those fairly new to old ones are way overpriced.

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes we cannot just look at the price and number of years left. We also must take into considerations the modifications done, accessories and nice number plate. All these will make the bike a bit more exp as compare to others of the same model. Perhaps 1-2k more. This kind of "extra" charges i can accept it.

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by honda5583 View Post
    Sometimes we cannot just look at the price and number of years left. We also must take into considerations the modifications done, accessories and nice number plate. All these will make the bike a bit more exp as compare to others of the same model. Perhaps 1-2k more. This kind of "extra" charges i can accept it.
    True to be fair to owners we just need to make our own decisions whether the extra justify the price.
    Same as me if the bike is done nicely i willing to pay abit more.
    However there are some who just anyhow up the price because claiming the accessories and mod worth thousands of dollars.
    From my experience, you go to bike shop, shop only interested in your motor and give you low low price but once they got their hand on that bike, they sell touting all the accessories to justify the higher price.

Most of the buyers currently in delima including me. To jump in now and be slaughter on 2nd hand price or to wait for 1st once coe soften.

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True to be fair to owners we just need to make our own decisions whether the extra justify the price.
    Same as me if the bike is done nicely i willing to pay abit more.
    However there are some who just anyhow up the price because claiming the accessories and mod worth thousands of dollars.
    From my experience, you go to bike shop, shop only interested in your motor and give you low low price but once they got their hand on that bike, they sell touting all the accessories to justify the higher price.

Most of the buyers currently in delima including me. To jump in now and be slaughter on 2nd hand price or to wait for 1st once coe soften.
    Your concerns not only restricted bike owners, cars owners are feeling the same too. Assuming you can afford the high COE, ask yourself is it worth to spend so much just to own a vehicle.

My suggestions is to hold on to your old bike first. If we go with the flow of the system, COE prices will remain so high.
    Remember, dealers are more worried than us if everyone hold on to their old bikes. They have rental to pay, employees to feed, COE on hand to let go within a specific period of time, etc.
    That is why those flexible loans comes in to lure bike owners to get a new bike.
    Anyway, nobody can force a cow to drink water if the cow doesn't wants to. So the decision is still up to individual.

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your concerns not only restricted bike owners, cars owners are feeling the same too. Assuming you can afford the high COE, ask yourself is it worth to spend so much just to own a vehicle.

My suggestions is to hold on to your old bike first. If we go with the flow of the system, COE prices will remain so high.
    Remember, dealers are more worried than us if everyone hold on to their old bikes. They have rental to pay, employees to feed, COE on hand to let go within a specific period of time, etc.
    That is why those flexible loans comes in to lure bike owners to get a new bike.
    Anyway, nobody can force a cow to drink water if the cow doesn't wants to. So the decision is still up to individual.
    Agreed in that.

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends on wat bike u're looking for. for bread n butter 2b bikes, more chance for the 8 to 9 yr old bikes to drop in prices as most are unwilling to renew.

but for popular class 2 bikes, unlikely to drop in price.

I think "best buy" are unpopular Class 2 bikes while cheapest buy should be unpopular 2b bikes.

superRiderz
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second it.... coe wont be going down anytime soon.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people have the idea it will go down?

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teambhp View Post
    probably new minister wants to make his mark on his new portfolio

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably new minister wants to make his mark on his new portfolio
    Not that. Is due to economy not doing well now.
    If economy get worst, some ppl will lose their job or some companies might not make it.
    Who still have the ability to buy new cars or bikes when they have lost their job?

If lesser ppl buying new cars or bikes, do you guys think the COE will drop?

My guessing is not 100% accurate but I do hope that i am right.
    Last edited by honda5583; 12-10-2015 at 08:07 PM.

desewer
    hurhurhur
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this thread is very informative. i'd like to share my own bike buying experience.

i needed a bike to replace my s4 (coe 31/12/15 non renewable) so i started bike shopping in january this year. i was damn shocked to find out all these prices. ridiculous depreciation amounts. especially from riders who wanna sell you their "beloved bike" and charges you an unjustifiable high price. at any rate, i took my time and found a carb fazer 1000. this model, bike shops selling at 9.5k coe 2024. reasonable depreciation for a renewed-coe bike.

i managed to find a direct owner selling this model and bargained the price down to 7k. luckily for me, cos after buying it (engine was good condition) the electricals were horrible. in the few months that i have had the bike, i replaced the wire harness complete set, thermostat, thermostat housing, magneto, stator coil, starter relay, rear brake pads, front brake lines, and a few more stuff here and there. and mind you, these are all repairs, not modifications.

i've spent like 1.8k on the repairs, and it's still cheaper than the 9.5k the shop was offering. and i can sleep at night knowing the bike has a new harness, magneto, stator coil, etc etc. confirm plus chop the electricals can last until 2024.

i guess the learning points are these. even u test ride a bike, the hidden problems (electrical for me) cannot be easily detected. to overcome the depreciation problem, all riders need to act collectively and dont agree to buy overpriced used bikes.

ride safe everyone.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some dun even allow you to test ride. They afraid you will find out something. Who would anyone buy a 5 figure sum bike if test ride not allowed. Buyers unite please

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk

Orleng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some dun even allow you to test ride. They afraid you will find out something. Who would anyone buy a 5 figure sum bike if test ride not allowed. Buyers unite please

And if an irresponsible buyer crashes the 5 figure sum bike in a carpark. Or knocks down a pedestrian should they not be used to the handling/power of a new-to-them bike? Why would any seller put himself at such risks? Risk of financial loss if buyer refuses to pay for dropping/damaging bike during test ride. Risk of loss of license for allowing someone other than the named owner or the subrider operate the vehicle.
    Smile! Tomorrow will be worse.

SBT #1149 Price List

Paikia44
    is a MBA (Married But Available)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Orleng View Post
    And if an irresponsible buyer crashes the 5 figure sum bike in a carpark. Or knocks down a pedestrian should they not be used to the handling/power of a new-to-them bike? Why would any seller put himself at such risks? Risk of financial loss if buyer refuses to pay for dropping/damaging bike during test ride. Risk of loss of license for allowing someone other than the named owner or the subrider operate the vehicle.
    Exactly. It's an insurance issue and not always a case of afraid of buyer finding out something is wrong with the bike. Gone were the days where bikes like cars are insured for 'any rider'. Without insurance coverage, would the buyer be willing to bear responsibilities if something went wrong (not the bike but what bro Orleng mentioned).
    #ShutUp_and_Ride

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of the day, seller decide if wanna let test ride

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually there is another way.
    read somewhere in here.

let the seller give you a ride

engine should be easy to start or else something is not right

glance at the speedo meter when pillion. if the rider open throttle the meter light become brighter, possible of coil/magneto issues

engine sound when idling should not be louder than exhaust sound, listen for knocking sound

once done, park on cement floor not tar. chat with seller for a few minutes and observe is there any oil dripping on the concrete floor

well those are taught to me by someone and also some pointers i read

aimnfire
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by desewer View Post
    this thread is very informative. i'd like to share my own bike buying experience.

i needed a bike to replace my s4 (coe 31/12/15 non renewable) so i started bike shopping in january this year. i was damn shocked to find out all these prices. ridiculous depreciation amounts. especially from riders who wanna sell you their "beloved bike" and charges you an unjustifiable high price. at any rate, i took my time and found a carb fazer 1000. this model, bike shops selling at 9.5k coe 2024. reasonable depreciation for a renewed-coe bike.

i managed to find a direct owner selling this model and bargained the price down to 7k. luckily for me, cos after buying it (engine was good condition) the electricals were horrible. in the few months that i have had the bike, i replaced the wire harness complete set, thermostat, thermostat housing, magneto, stator coil, starter relay, rear brake pads, front brake lines, and a few more stuff here and there. and mind you, these are all repairs, not modifications.

i've spent like 1.8k on the repairs, and it's still cheaper than the 9.5k the shop was offering. and i can sleep at night knowing the bike has a new harness, magneto, stator coil, etc etc. confirm plus chop the electricals can last until 2024.

i guess the learning points are these. even u test ride a bike, the hidden problems (electrical for me) cannot be easily detected. to overcome the depreciation problem, all riders need to act collectively and dont agree to buy overpriced used bikes.

ride safe everyone.
    yes to buy use bike especially private transaction, better to have a few k in hand just in case issues like this crop up

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allowing a potential buyer, who is uninsured, to test ride your bike even in carpark, is illegal. if a tp rides in and catches you doing so, both seller and potential buyer will be in trouble. tp wont let it go just coz its a 'test ride'. there have been cases before of uninsured/unlicensed ppl 'testing' a friend's bike/car in carpark grounds and then caught by tp. no chance.

there is of course nothing illegal about a seller starting the bike and allowing the potential buyer to test throttle and other stuff without actually riding the bike. even taking the buyer as a pillion is fine. i allowed it when i was selling.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

calebike
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me share about my bike selling experience, maybe it would shed some light on the issue of test rides. Normally, i would not allow buyers to test ride my sale bikes, i can pillion them on a ride around the area, but i did not want to get into any financial issue should any drops or accidents happen. Similarly, when i shop for bikes, i would conduct my usual checks without a test ride.

so once i was selling my Super 4, i was like heck, it is such an old bike, why not let the buyer ride around the carpark. so a young punk buyer came along, started throttling and listening to the engine like he knew what he was doing. I was fine with that, listen to your hearts content. then he started red lining the bike in neutral . nevermind, just go for the testride in the carpark. he started locking the rear wheels to, test the brakes and trying to wheelie. . no more test rides for any of my bikes.

best part, he promised to get my bike, just give him a few days to sell of his SP (ya, a just passed 2a). disappeared off the face of this earth.

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebike View Post
    let me share about my bike selling experience, maybe it would shed some light on the issue of test rides. Normally, i would not allow buyers to test ride my sale bikes, i can pillion them on a ride around the area, but i did not want to get into any financial issue should any drops or accidents happen. Similarly, when i shop for bikes, i would conduct my usual checks without a test ride.

so once i was selling my Super 4, i was like heck, it is such an old bike, why not let the buyer ride around the carpark. so a young punk buyer came along, started throttling and listening to the engine like he knew what he was doing. I was fine with that, listen to your hearts content. then he started red lining the bike in neutral . nevermind, just go for the testride in the carpark. he started locking the rear wheels to, test the brakes and trying to wheelie. . no more test rides for any of my bikes.

best part, he promised to get my bike, just give him a few days to sell of his SP (ya, a just passed 2a). disappeared off the face of this earth.
    Agree that pillion is fine.
    Apart from financial and legal issues for test riding the bike, it can be dangerous for a person who just passed a 2A license.
    He/she may not be able to handle the power and weight of the bike.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like majority would not allow test rides

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test ride and nothing happens is ok.
    What if buyer knock someone down or bang onto a new car, who is going to responsible for the damage?
    Bear in mind that the bike is registered to the seller.

I would rather not sell my bike if buyer die die wanna test ride.
    Frankly speaking, test ride may not know the minor problems of the bike.
    Only the seller will know what are the problems. Whether the seller wanna be honest and tell the seller is a separate issue.

I am not surprise that the so call "young punk buyer" is in this forum as well.
    If you are, be responsible and let sellers know why u are not buying that bike.
    MIA is an irresponsible attitude.
    Last edited by honda5583; 11-11-2015 at 08:42 AM.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok.we have views from the sellers perspective. Put yourself in buyers shoes, how many of u will really buy an expensive bike if no test ride allowed? No quarrels, just constructive views for discussion

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i want to buy a bike and i simply MUST test ride first....

I will got to shop. not private seller. i dont want to be caught riding uninsured either.

if i want to buy from private seller, i will ask him start bike, i will test throttle, stationary brakes, etc etc. i might also ask him bring to my mechanic and pay for the inspection out of my own pocket.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok.we have views from the sellers perspective. Put yourself in buyers shoes, how many of u will really buy an expensive bike if no test ride allowed? No quarrels, just constructive views for discussion

The following steps are good enough for me:
    - Visual inspection
    - Start and listen from engine
    - Ask seller to pillion me

In fact, visual inspection and listening from engine can know many things about the bike.
    Pillion is to make sure no funny sound that comes from bike.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The following steps are good enough for me:
    - Visual inspection
    - Start and listen from engine
    - Ask seller to pillion me

In fact, visual inspection and listening from engine can know many things about the bike.
    Pillion is to make sure no funny sound that comes from bike.
    Not many of us can listen to engine n conclude engine is good

calebike
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats where what i do can help. if skeptical about engine, bring to mechanic for a run through. i mainly do that for bigger bikes that i buy.
    Otherwise, on engine listen to sound, pillion. Pillion rideout is to ensure that gear box and gear changes are problem free. Suspension is problem free (visual inspection helps in this case too). i believe stationary test can help for eg, cone bearing, brakes.

Orleng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If one cannot listen to an engine and conclude it is good, one is also not likely to be able to pick up if the bike has any "hidden problems", from a test ride.

Knowing what an engine should sound like for a particular bike model, knowing about each engine/manufacturer's quirks, come from experience or from the internet. Same goes for being able to pick out whether a bike is problematic after test riding it. If someone can tell the bike is about to break down or has "hidden problems" from a test ride, they should also be able to tell that the engine sounds unusual or pick up cues from a pillioned test ride. Keyword : should.

If a person really can't tell, then just arrange to have it brought to a trusted mechanic like the other bros above have mentioned, and arrange to have it looked over.

On top of that, any reasonable and mature rider buying a CL2A or CL2 bike would understand the consequences of being caught riding without proper insurance coverage. They will also likely understand why such personal test rides aren't always available. If unhappy with the situation or unable to arrange for a shop to check out the bike, we can always walk away from the deal. Those who insist on flouting the law, can you really trust them to be responsible and bear responsibility if there are any untoward results of an accident/damage during the test ride? They might apply the same heck-care attitude should anything go wrong and just walk off.

If the bike is that expensive, the buyer can afford the price of a mechanic evaluating the bike.
    Smile! Tomorrow will be worse.

SBT #1149 Price List

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a mechanic evaluation is the way to go

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If one cannot listen to an engine and conclude it is good, one is also not likely to be able to pick up if the bike has any "hidden problems", from a test ride.

Knowing what an engine should sound like for a particular bike model, knowing about each engine/manufacturer's quirks, come from experience or from the internet. Same goes for being able to pick out whether a bike is problematic after test riding it. If someone can tell the bike is about to break down or has "hidden problems" from a test ride, they should also be able to tell that the engine sounds unusual or pick up cues from a pillioned test ride. Keyword : should.

If a person really can't tell, then just arrange to have it brought to a trusted mechanic like the other bros above have mentioned, and arrange to have it looked over.

On top of that, any reasonable and mature rider buying a CL2A or CL2 bike would understand the consequences of being caught riding without proper insurance coverage. They will also likely understand why such personal test rides aren't always available. If unhappy with the situation or unable to arrange for a shop to check out the bike, we can always walk away from the deal. Those who insist on flouting the law, can you really trust them to be responsible and bear responsibility if there are any untoward results of an accident/damage during the test ride? They might apply the same heck-care attitude should anything go wrong and just walk off.

If the bike is that expensive, the buyer can afford the price of a mechanic evaluating the bike.
    Well said.

honda5583
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a mechanic evaluation is the way to go

As long the bike has no sign of old leak, fork leak, fuel leak and engine knocking sound it should be fine.
    Buying a second hand bike is like buying 4D. It is all about luck.
    Even the seller also cannot assure u all the parts can last you for 6 months.
    A good seller will show proof what is being done to the bike. (ie: receipts of servicing and repair records)

calebike
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quote for the truth now that you mentioned it. Disclaimer (from my buying and selling experiences). most the time when a class 2 buyer views, he does not even ask for a test ride, and most even ask for permission to even mount the bike. while 'the others' tend to come for a joy ride. red lining the bike, e braking, cornering to try to scrape helmet...

guangwei
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calebike View Post
    quote for the truth now that you mentioned it. Disclaimer (from my buying and selling experiences). most the time when a class 2 buyer views, he does not even ask for a test ride, and most even ask for permission to even mount the bike. while 'the others' tend to come for a joy ride. red lining the bike, e braking, cornering to try to scrape helmet...
    plus 1 for you, experienced it before. wheelie on my r6 without my even consulting me first on his test ride on a 70km/h road.. then say consider first, and no news ever since.. =.=

in contrast, this threadstarter seems to have an obnoxious hate for used bike direct seller, even tho he just joined a year ago. properly sent by some shity ah beng black shop to win customers back as the internet online market are taking their business off.
    as a cl2 rider who clocked 100k km over the last 4 years and met countless kakis, most of his comments makes barely any sense to me.
    /facepalm.
    of course i do met bad 2nd hand seller before, but he certainly exaggerates it until he looks stupid. lol
    the worst seller i met is definitely a profit driven shopkeeper by the way.

this guy even goes around and spam flame sellers that their bikes are too expensive and at the same time describe how bad a direct owner owned bike can be here on this thread.
    Last edited by guangwei; 11-11-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    17 Nov 2011 - April 2013, NSR150 SP
    12 June 2013 - 23 Jan 2015, CBR400RRR
    23 February 2015 - 29 February 2016, YZF R6 2006
    12 March 2016 - 12 May 2017, CBR1000RR05
    July 2017 - Current, YZF R1 2008/CBF150

guangwei
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Readers

There are many bikes on sales in this forum. Some are from direct owners and some are from bikeshops.

I would like to caution about buying from direct owners. Some of the questions you should think about are

1) Owner has changed a lot of parts on the bike, added accesssories etc. Some even overhauled the engine and claim that bike is in good condtion. Think about it! Why would anyone in the world spend money to repair the bike, then sell it off to you?

2) All bikes have wear and tear items. The older the bike, the more problematic it is. Yet there are sellers claiming that the bike is in prefect condtion. How is that possible? Even new bikes are not prefect.

3) Assuming you find a really good offer. Seller dilligently maintain bike. Outlook is good. Wear and tear parts replaced and there are receipts to prove. You want to buy from him/her. Please think again. Outlook can be done nicely. Parts can be replaced by a good seller. One word of caution though....Internal leaks within the engine that cannot be seen by the naked eye.

For example, if the bike has excessive oil consumption problem, you will not know it till you have clocked up some mileage. By the time you know, it is too late. How about coolant seeping into the combustion chamber slowly? It will be months later before the bike will give out smoke. Do you have recourse? Anwer is NO.

Therefore, please buy with care and ride safe.
    All your argument values why direct owned sellers are worse sellers are applicable to you shopkeepers as well. Seems like your just referring to your black shop owner boss.

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guangwei View Post
    plus 1 for you, experienced it before. wheelie on my r6 without my even consulting me first on his test ride on a 70km/h road.. then say consider first, and no news ever since.. =.=

in contrast, this threadstarter seems to have an obnoxious hate for used bike direct seller, even tho he just joined a year ago. properly sent by some shity ah beng black shop to win customers back as the internet online market are taking their business off.
    as a cl2 rider who clocked 100k km over the last 4 years and met countless kakis, most of his comments makes barely any sense to me.
    /facepalm.
    of course i do met bad 2nd hand seller before, but he certainly exaggerates it until he looks stupid. lol
    the worst seller i met is definitely a profit driven shopkeeper by the way.

this guy even goes around and spam flame sellers that their bikes are too expensive and at the same time describe how bad a direct owner owned bike can be here on this thread.
    No problem with direct sellers. I only dislike those who take advantage of high bike COE to make money out of fellow riders.

guangwei
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem with direct sellers. I only dislike those who take advantage of high bike COE to make money out of fellow riders.

bikeshops does it even worse.

calebike
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no such advantage. you can see overpriced bikes being stuck for a long time.

ciscube
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can understand that most sellers will take advantage of the high Coe, but pls don't sell it at the same price as the shop lah..

teambhp
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guangwei View Post
    All your argument values why direct owned sellers are worse sellers are applicable to you shopkeepers as well. Seems like your just referring to your black shop owner boss.
    Your r6 on sales very long. You should know better than me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast