User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: learning 2b

  1. #1
    mingwei09
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Unhappy learning 2b



    How did some of you guys learn 2b secretly from your parents? eg. getting own helmet for lesson, license being sent to home. (ps, I already have a class 3 license)
    I really want to start riding but my family is not supportive. Thanks for any replies!

  2. #2
    PolarisX
    has no status.
    Class 2B PolarisX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    293
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mingwei09 View Post
    How did some of you guys learn 2b secretly from your parents? eg. getting own helmet for lesson, license being sent to home. (ps, I already have a class 3 license)
    I really want to start riding but my family is not supportive. Thanks for any replies!
    If your family is NOT supportive, just stay away from it. Getting license is 1 thing, eventually if you get tempted and do purchase a bike, the risks are real. You can educate your family on the benefits are riding, but usually it's a hard sell for families who start off with being against riding.

    Best advise to you, when you are a little older and start your own family and then pursue your own riding endeavours.
    Ride Free, Ride Hard, and Ride Safe.
    Current ride:Hyundai i30 CW (Sept 2016 - Present)
    Yamaha FZ1-S (Aug 2014 - Present)
    Previous ride: Honda Tiger 200 (Oct 2009 - Jun 2012)
    Suzuki GSR 600 (Jun 2012 - Sept 2013)
    Hyundai Matrix (Jun 2013 - Aug 2016)

     

     
  3. #3
    lkm
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisX View Post
    If your family is NOT supportive, just stay away from it. Getting license is 1 thing, eventually if you get tempted and do purchase a bike, the risks are real. You can educate your family on the benefits are riding, but usually it's a hard sell for families who start off with being against riding.

    Best advise to you, when you are a little older and start your own family and then pursue your own riding endeavours.
    So true.... I was in the same shoes.... But now, in my mid-30's, I make my own decisions.... =)

  4. #4
    Shahr33n
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    4
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi! Just joined the forum after getting my iicence earlier this month.

    I was in the same situation as you too. I'm glad that my interest to ride a motorbike didn't start until I'm in my 30s... I have 13 years of driving experience (both locally and overseas) so my road awareness is fairly ok. But riding on a motorcycle is a very different experience once you're on the road, the risk multiplies ten-folds. As advised by the rest, may want to wait till you are living on your own or at least till you're older to get the licence and bike...

    Doing it secretly and later discovered by parents will be very unpleasant experience...

  5. #5
    simeone82
    has no status.
    Class 2B simeone82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Macpherson
    Posts
    387
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Even now in my 30s I go learn and my dad was also not supportive. (I just enrolled and always go out till my dad asked my wife what course I attending...) My family are the type that deem motorcycle is dangerous. Well afterall we shield the motorcycle unlike car shield us.
    Since you have class 3 once you pass 2b the sticker will just paste on your licence.
    During my lesson, I do wish that I take it earlier when I was 18 or something..
    It hard to in between family, kids, and work balance and needless to say some lessons were hard to pass.
    If you have the money, I say go for it.

  6. #6
    lkm
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahr33n View Post
    Hi! Just joined the forum after getting my iicence earlier this month.

    I was in the same situation as you too. I'm glad that my interest to ride a motorbike didn't start until I'm in my 30s... I have 13 years of driving experience (both locally and overseas) so my road awareness is fairly ok. But riding on a motorcycle is a very different experience once you're on the road, the risk multiplies ten-folds. As advised by the rest, may want to wait till you are living on your own or at least till you're older to get the licence and bike...

    Doing it secretly and later discovered by parents will be very unpleasant experience...
    Congrats on getting your 2B!! =) You getting a bike soon?

  7. #7
    lkm
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    369
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Ok OP, I know the answers here ain't too helpful in your situation. But if you've really considered the consequences and still decide to do it anyway, here's what I can tell you about BBDC (not sure about the other centres).

    You enroll and you'd be given a skull cap. You don't even need a helmet. For lessons, just bring the cap, gloves and your NRIC. All these can effectively put in your pocket. BBDC has helmets for learners. In fact, if raining, they also have rain coats you can borrow.

    I've not passed my 2B yet. But from what I remember of my Class 3, you get the license from the TP office at the driving centre. It's not sent to your home. And even if it is, I'm assuming your parents won't open your letters? Since you have a Class 3 license, it's easy to explain any letters sent to you by Traffic Police, no?

  8. #8
    nsr1980
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    234
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i think must be mature to get a motorcycle license and be responsible to yourself and family loved ones.
    For me 15 years driving class 3, now in my 30s class 2B, 2A and Class 2 this year...

    Bigger bike must need confident and be able to scan for road dangers, always be alert and ride safe slow....

    After all, you only live once...

  9. #9
    euphonium07
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    60
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am not sure if I am in a position to contribute, since I openly told my parents on my intention of getting bike license, and they reluctantly let me learn. But I assure them that I would be a safe rider once I got a bike. And I bought a race-quality helmet, with protection gloves, armoured jacket and wore them when riding on the road. This probably convinced them even more that I am a responsible and safe rider. My license, bike and all those gears are bought with my hard earned savings.

    What is the worst thing that can happen if you do indeed learn riding secretly and your parents found out? Would the relationship be strained? Would your parents disown you, throw you out of the house? I find it really ridiculous if those things were to happen.

    I apologise if my contribution here offends some of you.

  10. #10
    Syasyaxoxo
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Syasyaxoxo
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    5
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Anyone new for 2b ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

     

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •