I was riding my scooter with my wife as a pillion on 3rd of April 2016 morning, we were travelling along Bendemeer Road (in front of Block 47 Bendemeer Rd) which is in the 2nd left lane next to the bus lane. Suddenly, a Comfort taxi on my right had on the signal to left and kept forcing in beside my scooter. I started to horn several times but the taxi driver didn’t even bother and drove past me. His left sided mirror hit onto my handle and caused my scooter to wobble and we almost fell off the scooter. Luckily, I’ve long legs and managed to put my legs down to steady it. He drove off quickly without even stopping to see to check what happened
Luckily, I had managed to hold on to my scooter and I gave chase at the Taxi which my wife briefly remembered the comfort taxi number starting with 70XX. I managed to catch hold of the Taxi driver after 2 traffic lights and insisted him to stop after the traffic light (in front of Block 7 & 8 Boon Keng Road). From the above distance is 1 Kilometer or more (from Block 47 Bendemeer Rd to Block 7 Boon Keng Road).
There is a passenger in the taxi and he realized that the taxi had hit on my scooter but both the taxi driver & passenger mentioned that road was busy and they had no chance to stop to see to it! Sunday morning, on my left bus lane there is NO BUS at all till the period I gave chase at the taxi for few minutes. Do you believe that the taxi can’t stop?
I called the police and the Traffic police came, after telling him what had happened and he mentioned this is not hit and run. I asked the police officer if he was sure as I wanted to write into the forum to clarify? He checked with his team leader and IO again and mention, YES!
Hit and run is, the driver don’t stop at the point of accident and I was injured and can’t give chase but in this incident, after I gave chase at the taxi driver for 1 kilometer or more, the driver finally stopped. This is not considered as hit and run??
The traffic police told us to make report or claim the insurance individually if needed and this is will not be taken as a record. This taxi driver already had 4 accident cases before, the last one he will be attending to court on this April 2016, which these was mentioned by the driver while begging me not to make a police report.
What makes me very angry is, there isn’t any warning given to the taxi driver at all even though he admitted his fault and asked for a chance!
I would like to ask the public and the authority concerned the following:
1. If the traffic law is so vague and lenient, is the authority giving these reckless drivers more chances to drive dangerously?
2. What if we have injuries on the spot and can’t give chase after the taxi or remember the vehicle number, who can help us?
3. Can the authority state clearly the actual statistics, how many hit and run accidents were not solved without any witnesses even witness boards/signs are being put up?
4. With the standard SOP, I understand the traffic police can’t take any minor action on the above case. Is the lawmaker encouraging more of these reckless drivers to continue driving dangerously?
5. What if you and your love ones or people you know involving in accidents and unfortunately was badly injured or fatal, even not badly hurt without any witness(hit and run). Who is to be blamed?
6. Do you know without minimum 3 days medical leave for the accident, you are not supposed to make any police report but only to claim third party insurance. What type of traffic law is Singapore having now?
7. In Taiwan, reckless drivers caught in videos or reported by the public, if the authority found them driving dangerously a warning or fine will be given, but why is the Singapore authority so lenient?