has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trying to get Class 2B at 54 yrs old

Only now at 54, I decided to take Class 2B. Enrolled at BBDC.
    Thought it will be easy. But isn't. After 20 lessons, still trying to clear the plank/pylon.
    Haven't even done emergency stop and S course and crank course.

Feel like giving up already.
    Any advice from people learning to ride at this age? (been driving class 3 for 37 years).

simeone82
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Joe Jess, don't give up I seen other people at your age taking TP with me and pass. I am in my 30s and we have nearing 20 years age difference but trust me, my motor skills sucks if you read my CDC thread.
    If we can do it so can you. For me I find it hard in E brake, S course and crank course but with practice you sure can do it.
    Plank/pylon just remember to look far. Can't get timing just go fast first then later on then train timing.
    Remember be humble and try not to quarrel with instructors. If BBDC can't work out, try out SSDC. I know of someone who can't work out in BBDC go SSDC also first time pass TP.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simeone82 View Post
    Dear Joe Jess, don't give up I seen other people at your age taking TP with me and pass. I am in my 30s and we have nearing 20 years age difference but trust me, my motor skills sucks if you read my CDC thread.
    If we can do it so can you. For me I find it hard in E brake, S course and crank course but with practice you sure can do it.
    Plank/pylon just remember to look far. Can't get timing just go fast first then later on then train timing.
    Remember be humble and try not to quarrel with instructors. If BBDC can't work out, try out SSDC. I know of someone who can't work out in BBDC go SSDC also first time pass TP.
    Thanks simeone82 for the encouragement.

Yeah I am more fearful of falling. And as you know, that doesn't help. And reflexes are slow. Feels like so many things to coordinate. I was so bad that one of the instructor asked whether I know how to ride a bicycle. Not good for the morale.

I wanted to change centre but then think it all depends on the instructor. I even try to find private lesson. Maybe can concentrate on the issue I am having. But seems like no such thing.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

tsleo85
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jess View Post
    Thanks simeone82 for the encouragement.

Yeah I am more fearful of falling. And as you know, that doesn't help. And reflexes are slow. Feels like so many things to coordinate. I was so bad that one of the instructor asked whether I know how to ride a bicycle. Not good for the morale.

I wanted to change centre but then think it all depends on the instructor. I even try to find private lesson. Maybe can concentrate on the issue I am having. But seems like no such thing.

Hi joe jess.. dont give up! I took 2b a year ago when i was 30. Altogether i took abt 50+ lessons including circuit revision and road revision till qte number of instructors can recognise me. Fell multiple times also... but nw am happily riding for a yr. Definitely worth it dont give up!

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsleo85 View Post
    Hi joe jess.. dont give up! I took 2b a year ago when i was 30. Altogether i took abt 50+ lessons including circuit revision and road revision till qte number of instructors can recognise me. Fell multiple times also... but nw am happily riding for a yr. Definitely worth it dont give up!
    Thanks tsleo85.

Maybe I should try and fall a few times until i am used to it so I no longer scared of falling. Then maybe I will start to relax. Ha ha.

FTW.
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend after 1 year in BBDC, think haven't clear this plank thing. He took a break though.

I was from BBDC back then, I changed to SSDC.

ViciousKitty74
    is shopping for flat.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Joe,

Its about the logic and the practise to develop into a muscle memory.

My recommendation for newbies has always been:

If you can spare the day and the cost. Book one training session in the morning. And book another in the afternoon. Have a meal break in between.

Always the morning 1st lesson, you will find that you be more tense, and after a meal, maybe a relax kopi chit chat with the instructors, and the 2nd lesson, your muscles should relax and easier to balance out. Important is your eye. Where you are sighting to move or make a turn.

For most of my training and testings, I actually plug in my earpiece and listening to radio thru my handphone. And my music is not too loud, just preppy enough.
    41/Female/Singapore. Prefers her men single, rich & almost dead. Licences: Class 2B, 2A, 2, 3, 4 & 5. Boats, Weapons Shooting, Taxis, Tour Guide Licences. Now working (not so hard) on getting fixed & rotary wings licence. Blah, blah, blah and blah.....

ViciousKitty74
    is shopping for flat.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And since you are doing your class2B, when pass, you got a 12 points.

Might as well also take the time and the subsidises, go get yourself a class 4 & 5 licence at the same time.
    41/Female/Singapore. Prefers her men single, rich & almost dead. Licences: Class 2B, 2A, 2, 3, 4 & 5. Boats, Weapons Shooting, Taxis, Tour Guide Licences. Now working (not so hard) on getting fixed & rotary wings licence. Blah, blah, blah and blah.....

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViciousKitty74 View Post
    Hi Joe,

Its about the logic and the practise to develop into a muscle memory.

My recommendation for newbies has always been:

If you can spare the day and the cost. Book one training session in the morning. And book another in the afternoon. Have a meal break in between.

Always the morning 1st lesson, you will find that you be more tense, and after a meal, maybe a relax kopi chit chat with the instructors, and the 2nd lesson, your muscles should relax and easier to balance out. Important is your eye. Where you are sighting to move or make a turn.

For most of my training and testings, I actually plug in my earpiece and listening to radio thru my handphone. And my music is not too loud, just preppy enough.
    Thanks for the tip.

I find 1 lesson alr quite tiring. In fact at the end of the class, everything falls apart.

BTW, allowed to listen to music during the test ah?

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And since you are doing your class2B, when pass, you got a 12 points.

Might as well also take the time and the subsidises, go get yourself a class 4 & 5 licence at the same time.
    Maybe ha ha.

But if things goes well, 2A first. God willing.

ViciousKitty74
    is shopping for flat.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip.

I find 1 lesson alr quite tiring. In fact at the end of the class, everything falls apart.

BTW, allowed to listen to music during the test ah?

LOL, that means you are too tense.

Try for my suggestion lah. You got to go home to shower anyway, why not make it worth your while.

The allowed to listen to music portion is fairly subjective. I somehow or another, managed to be doing that. Probably habits, develop into bad habit that I didn't quit, during the evaluations and tests.

736cc
    Rocking on the road
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Joe Jess, dun give up. riding a motorcycle is like knowing how to swim, once you get used to it and you will ride like pro
    Current Ride:
    W650 Cafe Racer
    FXSTC Softail Custom
    TW200 Tracker
    Zephyr ZII Custom
    CB750K
    CB400four

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 736cc View Post
    @Joe Jess, dun give up. riding a motorcycle is like knowing how to swim, once you get used to it and you will ride like pro
    I hope so 736cc.

I start noticing riders on the road and they just do without thinking. They don't seem to watch their eye point, look up etc .... They certainly dont grip their fuel tank real tight. But I suppose they must all do. Just that they are so natural.

nsr1980
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought it will be easy. But isn't. After 20 lessons, still trying to clear the plank/pylon.

Any advice from people learning to ride at this age? (been driving class 3 for 37 years).
    never too old bro...keep trying and learn...new things in life

smallcar
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When u know how to ride a bike. its the same as car. U can control your machine.

sjyong
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope so 736cc.

I start noticing riders on the road and they just do without thinking. They don't seem to watch their eye point, look up etc .... They certainly dont grip their fuel tank real tight. But I suppose they must all do. Just that they are so natural.

I'm sure it's exactly like how you are able to keep your eyes on the road all the time without looking at the dash/steering wheels/pedals etc, while L plate drivers can‘t! It would be really sore if we grip the tank along the whole stretch of PIE wouldnt it But i promise you, gripping the tank helps ALOT in the circuit courses especially Plank

jbdoggy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Joe

Dont give up. Just keep plugging at it. During my test, there were a few aunties & uncles who either passed 1st or 2nd time round. I even heard of a 65 yr old also successfully getting his 2b!.

There was this 1 auntie who i saw during my L1 days. I also struggled thro my lessons. 36 lessons in total excluding revisions before i could book test. When I was in L3 she was still in L1. When i was doing circuit revision for L5, i saw her wobbling around in L2. Now 1 year later, Im taking 2a circuit revision & i was surprised to see her taking road revision. Talk abt perseverance man!

Basic principle - the bike will follow where your eyes are looking.

So for plank just look ahead. Zoom across the plank a few times if it helps you get used to riding on an elevated surface. After you have youre more familiar with the feeling of riding the plank then start reducing your speed with rear brake play. Easiest way to plank - do a normal start, clutch in after both wheels on the plank & let the bike roll. Reduce speed with rear brake.

Slalom - if you get your 1st dive angle right, the rest will follow nicely. Draw an imaginary line, tying all the cones together. When you ride, dive in at abt 45 deg to that imaginary line.

Yes, things are more difficult for us older learners, but its not impossible. Just more learning time required. The obstacles are difficult to learn at 1st, but once you get it, its actually very easy.

All the best!
    I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates

tsleo85
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks tsleo85.

Maybe I should try and fall a few times until i am used to it so I no longer scared of falling. Then maybe I will start to relax. Ha ha.

Haha! Maybe you will! Just started my 2a and I alr fell a few times. Better to fall in school right?

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jbdoggy View Post
    Hey Joe

Dont give up. Just keep plugging at it. During my test, there were a few aunties & uncles who either passed 1st or 2nd time round. I even heard of a 65 yr old also successfully getting his 2b!.

There was this 1 auntie who i saw during my L1 days. I also struggled thro my lessons. 36 lessons in total excluding revisions before i could book test. When I was in L3 she was still in L1. When i was doing circuit revision for L5, i saw her wobbling around in L2. Now 1 year later, Im taking 2a circuit revision & i was surprised to see her taking road revision. Talk abt perseverance man!

Basic principle - the bike will follow where your eyes are looking.

So for plank just look ahead. Zoom across the plank a few times if it helps you get used to riding on an elevated surface. After you have youre more familiar with the feeling of riding the plank then start reducing your speed with rear brake play. Easiest way to plank - do a normal start, clutch in after both wheels on the plank & let the bike roll. Reduce speed with rear brake.

Slalom - if you get your 1st dive angle right, the rest will follow nicely. Draw an imaginary line, tying all the cones together. When you ride, dive in at abt 45 deg to that imaginary line.

Yes, things are more difficult for us older learners, but its not impossible. Just more learning time required. The obstacles are difficult to learn at 1st, but once you get it, its actually very easy.

All the best!
    Thanks for the tip and encouragement. I will continue. But will take it easier and try not to rush. I can't wait for the day when it all feels "very easy"

LOL, that means you are too tense.

Try for my suggestion lah. You got to go home to shower anyway, why not make it worth your while.

The allowed to listen to music portion is fairly subjective. I somehow or another, managed to be doing that. Probably habits, develop into bad habit that I didn't quit, during the evaluations and tests.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsleo85 View Post
    Haha! Maybe you will! Just started my 2a and I alr fell a few times. Better to fall in school right?
    2a and season rider still can fall? Take care and all the best.

ViciousKitty74
    is shopping for flat.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2a and season rider still can fall? Take care and all the best.

No matter how seasoned, all riders can fall.

Imagine a big burly man, with an African twin, somehow or another, was stuck at the traffic light and the bike is slowly slowly SLOWLY falling actually.

And he was screaming in his full face helmet and sweating buckets, trying not to drop the bike.

People at the coffee shop where he is falling was just staring at him wondering why a stupid man was standing there on his bike.

And I have several fun time, falling in the circuit during my class 2a and class 2, and was in odd angles lying on the road/kerb and no matter how I wiggle.....wasn't able to get out from under the bike.

ViciousKitty74
    is shopping for flat.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a mindset. If you discipline yourself to only look up and at directions you want to go, and that your body will automatically tighten around the tank using muscle memory.

It will be easy. Go on. Try it.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I will. I am taking this off from classes. Wait until the ache in my right elbow go away.

KILROY68
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay focus on the very reason why you wanted to learn to ride a motocycle. At that age, most importantly you MUST enjoy every single moment of your training and have fun interacting with other students or/and instructors. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-J5007 using Tapatalk

19xx - SUZUKI GTO110, HONDA MBX125, SUZUKI RG250, KAWASAKI EN400, KAWASAKI NINJA400, YAMAHA RD350 (YPVS)
    2012-14 - R1
    2014-16 - S1000R
    2014-PRESENT - EXC525 (2005)
    2016-PRESENT - TMAX530 (2016)
    WISHLIST - XDIAVEL S

searchsoul
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!

It may be a psychological barrier that you are fearful currently!

Relax, try to have no expectations, and don't be too hard on yourself!

duo
    would rather be a troll than the champion..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You will be be a great motivation for others once you get your 2B licence.

You are most likely just nervous/tense. You really need to relax. Perhaps you could ride a bicycle from time to time before the practicals. Its basically similar. It will definitely help you alot. Falling is part of learning. However due to age of course you will be scared of falling. I believe its now compulsory to be wearing the pads during practicals right? Just remember to stay relax, motivated and focus. Take note of the pointers the instructors give. They are there to teach you and good luck.
    KRGT-1
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike..I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like..

MR BIKER
    statue but not status
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope so 736cc.

oooooo. joe . you are really wrong man. must grip fuel tank tight. its really something out of this world

QuaXum
    loves to clutch it up~!
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't give up! Age is just a number!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

T r i u m p h S t r e e t T r i p l e

fw78j
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont give up keep trying .

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks fella.
    I will keep you guys updated with my progress. Or the lack of it. Ha ha

nsr1980
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just keep on trying and enjoy the learning process. even class 2 student can fall.

Shanghai
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Jess, I'm 58 years old and passed my 2A in February (2016). I also struggled at the start. Persistence and will power got me there.
    Listen to everything the instructors tell you and if in doubt ask them
    Keep it up.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Shanghai.

I took my plank/pylon lesson today. Fail again.

Give me a chance to be persistent. Ha ha.

Shanghai
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look ahead past the end of the plank. Never look down.
    Balance throttle and clutch to keep forward momentum
    Use rear brake to control speed.
    If you have no forward momentum you will fall off.

kaizersg
    Semenanjung Malaya Utara
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come On Dun Giv Up , GoGoGo
    Yamalaya Selamanya
    91'ahamaY zxR 331Cc **819*
    2011'SX 1000Z ikasawaK *819*

jbdoggy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe,

Dont just move off from the starting line when its time to move off. Must AIM the bike to the ctr of the plank 1st. So focus your eyes to the ctr of the start of the plank & make a normal start. keep your eyes at that point always & then when your front wheel mounts the plank, flick your eyes up & look at the cones or whatever....

Diff people have diff eyelines....some look at the end of the plank. Some look at the 1st cone, some the last, some even further away. I personally alternate betn the 1st cone & the end of the plank. Do whatever works for you best.

But bottomline is.... you MUST AIM 1ST before anything else.
    I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe,

Dont just move off from the starting line when its time to move off. Must AIM the bike to the ctr of the plank 1st. So focus your eyes to the ctr of the start of the plank & make a normal start. keep your eyes at that point always & then when your front wheel mounts the plank, flick your eyes up & look at the cones or whatever....

Diff people have diff eyelines....some look at the end of the plank. Some look at the 1st cone, some the last, some even further away. I personally alternate betn the 1st cone & the end of the plank. Do whatever works for you best.

But bottomline is.... you MUST AIM 1ST before anything else.
    You may be on to something here that I think is a part of my problem. I will try that next time. Thanks a lot.

I tend to fall off near the start. I feel that I get on the plank wobbling blindly. I don't really know where I am.

Then after that, it's breaking hard to slow down and then hanging on for dear life. And because of that feeling, I become tense. That's why not consistent.

tsleo85
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may be on to something here that I think is a part of my problem. I will try that next time. Thanks a lot.

I tend to fall off near the start. I feel that I get on the plank wobbling blindly. I don't really know where I am.

Then after that, it's breaking hard to slow down and then hanging on for dear life. And because of that feeling, I become tense. That's why not consistent.

Yea, besides looking far - i tend to look super far, like another building kind - for your prob, you might want to try going up with abit more throttle, then for me i like to maintain half clutch and sufficient throttle to keep upright and reduce wobbling, foot brake to control the speed.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally pass the plank. 6 times.

For me, I had to look to the end of the plank or the pylons. If I look too far, I feel I don't know where I am going. Makes me nervous.

I brake so hard until the engine was making knocking sound. But the instructor was nice. He told me to try and fix it in future practice. Let me pass. I even drop the bike and bang my knee on the road. Lol

Next stage emergency brake

nsr1980
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

emergency brake maintan speed at 30kmph eyes look straight arms relax grip tank after the stop line brakes front and rear until nearly bike comes to full stop press hold back clutch left leg down then follow by right leg down left feet back to kick back to gear 1 signal right feet back to rear brake check right back then moving off....

jbdoggy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, I had to look to the end of the plank or the pylons. If I look too far, I feel I don't know where I am going. Makes me nervous.

I brake so hard until the engine was making knocking sound. But the instructor was nice. He told me to try and fix it in future practice. Let me pass. I even drop the bike and bang my knee on the road. Lol

Great to hear that, Joe. Congratulations!

Knocking sound in engine?? Im guessing you were using the half clutch method?? If so then its not too bad cos thats what happened to me when i was really pushing for much higher timings. You will hear a slight knock or that the engine is beginning to struggle. Just be careful tho.... you may stall on the plank. Practice practice practice! I practiced the plank the hardest throughout all my revisions.

Emergency brake theres a slew of procedures. Instructors are also pretty anal abt your arms being stretched out when you brake. So the moment you reach the braking line just 'push' your handlebars away from you & brake - 70% front brake, 30% rear brake. Eyes look ahead. Dont look down.

The procedure is as follows (after you hv stopped):
    1) Chk bk right & right foot down
    2) Clutch in & kick down to 1st gear. (you may need to pump clutch if gears seem stuck)
    3)Chk bk left, left foot down & right foot up
    4) Signal right & chk bk right
    5) Move off
    Last edited by jbdoggy; 04-05-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to hear that, Joe. Congratulations!

Knocking sound in engine?? Im guessing you were using the half clutch method?? If so then its not too bad cos thats what happened to me when i was really pushing for much higher timings. You will hear a slight knock or that the engine is beginning to struggle. Just be careful tho.... you may stall on the plank. Practice practice practice! I practiced the plank the hardest throughout all my revisions.

Emergency brake theres a slew of procedures. Instructors are also pretty anal abt your arms being stretched out when you brake. So the moment you reach the braking line just 'push' your handlebars away from you & brake - 70% front brake, 30% rear brake. Eyes look ahead. Dont look down.

The procedure is as follows (after you hv stopped):
    1) Chk bk right & right foot down
    2) Clutch in & kick down to 1st gear. (you may need to pump clutch if gears seem stuck)
    3)Chk bk left, left foot down & right foot up
    4) Signal right & chk bk right
    5) Move off
    Yeah. Still have lots to practice. Need to half clutch more to prevent stalling. Only 1 go during test.

How long ago since you passed 2B, jbdoggy?

jbdoggy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long ago since you passed 2B, jbdoggy?
    Oh...just over a yr ago. April 8th last year to be exact.

Veil
    is enjoying his Honda Steed
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double post

Veil
    is enjoying his Honda Steed
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe,

I know it sounds old to say this but just don't give up. Mentality is very important as a rider to survive on the road. Treat the failures during your training as a form of insurance when you start riding in the future.

For your age, must have the thinking of "Fail so what?! Repeat only mah! Uncle me have time and money! What i never been thru?!"

I got my 2B, 2A and 2 from BBDC and i enjoyed the process more than the moment i got my licences. In fact, i love going to the centre so much that i joined as an instructor last year. If you need help, i can share with you my personal experience on days which you have lesson.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Veil View Post
    Joe,

I know it sounds old to say this but just don't give up. Mentality is very important as a rider to survive on the road. Treat the failures during your training as a form of insurance when you start riding in the future.

For your age, must have the thinking of "Fail so what?! Repeat only mah! Uncle me have time and money! What i never been thru?!"

I got my 2B, 2A and 2 from BBDC and i enjoyed the process more than the moment i got my licences. In fact, i love going to the centre so much that i joined as an instructor last year. If you need help, i can share with you my personal experience on days which you have lesson.
    Hi Veil.

An instructor at BBDC. Wow.

I will pm you when I next make a booking. next week sometime. Maybe you will take our group.

Joe Jess
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh...just over a yr ago. April 8th last year to be exact.
    So it's now time to do 2A.

wahlau
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't give up! I passed my class 2b earlier this year at 41 years old. For plank, one of best advice an instructor gave me was to not worry about the timing, just go through the plank without falling off at a speed you are comfortable with. Once you're comfortable, you can start focusing on things to improve the timing like rear braking and more control of the throttle etc
    Current ride: Sprint74's Custom Phantom TA200 Street Tracker
    http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php/460856-Wts-phantom-ta200-street-tracker

Siphon
    is a ridiver
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe,

Great to hear you keeping on the spirit!

For plank... there is a cheat... which you can try... when you go through the circuit revision for 2B cause its only for 6 seconds....

1. Calm your breath, look at the end of the plank. Aim and tell yourself you can do it.
    2. Throttle, release clutch to biting point move.
    3. Throttle more so you can climb up. Ensure you have speed fast enough to be STABLE. now use your tights to GRIP the TANK TIGHTLY! This makes you "become one" with the bike... VERY Important for plank and any turning courses eg.. fig 8... crank...
    4. Once on the plank, Maintain throttle at lower (heard from the sound... must be able idle can already) CLUTCH FULLY RELEASE.
    5. Cruise along smoothly as though you are riding a bicycle.... no matter how fast... you will also not be faster than 4 seconds... which is the passing mark...

As you gain confidence, apply the REAR BRAKE to slow down, release CLUTCH to increase speed and release clutch again once you have momentum.

Lastly... NEVER EVER USE FRONT BRAKE on the plank.

Next. E brakes.

1. Look up, fix your posture - Arms straight, back straight, head up (peep at the speed)
    2. Throttle up! yeah make sure its loud!!! release the clutch slowly.
    3. make sure you go fast enough at gear 1 and 2... by the time you hit gear 3... you should be the required speed already... at gear 3. Its to maintain speed... not to speed up anymore...
    4. once pass the cone
    5. apply Front and back brake GRADUALLY do NOT SNATCH at the brake feel the brake slowly the bike down. Front more than back because if you step on the back more... you will have a "fish tail" or skid on the back...
    6. when you feel the bike knocking a bit and you almost slowed down... CLUTCH in and left leg down. HEAD continue looking at the front.

Ah... done...

You do not need to prepare yourself to fall if you do all these gradually. In everything, you will perform best when you are RELAXED. don't think so much about the instructor assessing you... just focus on applying the right technique. You will pass if he finds that you are confident to do the task. After that you will go to the Circuit revision to horn your skills for the assessments classes.

Don't think they are out to fail you... they are there to make sure you are confident to go on to the next step... because once you are on the road... you are truly on your own... and man... you know how nasty the conditions are out there. Especially with the trucks and lorries when they are rushing...

Enjoy your journey! I completed mine already... so its really a great feeling to ride and enjoy the raw feeling of air against your body.

All the best!!

dchanman
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 55 and haven't ridden in 30 years. Already have my 2A and planning to take class 2. Any advice for me? Anyone knows where I can rent a 400 cc bike for say 3 to 6 months?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast