has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to Improve Riding Skills?

wondering how does 1 improve his riding skills without going to tracks?
    We often hear ppl say if no skills, don't do this don't do that... but without trying, how do one acquire those skills?

And where is a good place for regular riders to practice simple things like emergency breaking, sharp cornering etc...

I also want to try out things like tire burnout, stoppies, wheelies...

736cc
    Rocking on the road
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yahmarhuh View Post
    wondering how does 1 improve his riding skills without going to tracks?
    We often hear ppl say if no skills, don't do this don't do that... but without trying, how do one acquire those skills?

And where is a good place for regular riders to practice simple things like emergency breaking, sharp cornering etc...

I also want to try out things like tire burnout, stoppies, wheelies...

Do the above thing you mention will not improve your skill leh..... zzzz
    Skill rider know how to handle their bikes well... maybe you should consider going off road, if you can ride and handle a off road bikes and for sure will improve your riding skill on the road.
    Last edited by 736cc; 06-03-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    Current Ride:
    W650 Cafe Racer
    FXSTC Softail Custom
    TW200 Tracker
    Zephyr ZII Custom
    CB750K
    CB400four

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to agree, burnouts, stoppies and wheelies are not the first things that come to mind when improving riding skills. and you are not likely to find any place legal in singapore to do so. they are not even encouraged on track, and may get you banned.

the most basic way is to read up on riding skills, from books or internet, and consciously practice on the road. do not, trying out these skills on the road is not supposed to be dangerous, because they teach where to look, how to position your body, etc etc so there is nothing wrong with actually trying them out on the road. its how i myself improved my ride. it is 'better' to try on the track because you have a more controlled environment, but trying out road skills on the road is fine.

at the next level, experts agree that doing off-road riding improves your bike control on the road. but this is usually only done by enthusiasts who take it up as a hobby.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

Yahmarhuh
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any particular websites to recommend?

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yahmarhuh View Post
    any particular websites to recommend?
    i recommend the book, Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. I consider that book compulsory reading for all road riders. It was my bible of road riding skills.

not sure about websites. Try searching for that same author. He's famous in the the riding world.

It's true: it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow. Admittedly, though... It is MOST fun to ride a fast bike fast!

kzone
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mechwira View Post
    i recommend the book, Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code. I consider that book compulsory reading for all road riders. It was my bible of road riding skills.

not sure about websites. Try searching for that same author. He's famous in the the riding world.
    wow bro, u must have been riding for a long long time. I've heard of that book when I was a child. LOL
    I'm sure its still relevant today though. I only watch the video before, not sure how much of the book is covered in that video.

Yahmarhuh, seems like u wanna learn to do tricks instead of improving general riding skills. U can simply google how to do those tricks on line. Problem is practise makes perfect, n before u reach perfection, u will likely get some scratches on urself n ur bike... can easily protect urself with the right gears but very heart pain to see ur bike tumble ah... y not focus on improving general riding skills?
    Liverpool revival has started....

mechwira
    rides for recreation.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    wow bro, u must have been riding for a long long time. I've heard of that book when I was a child. LOL
    I'm sure its still relevant today though. I only watch the video before, not sure how much of the book is covered in that video.
    read the book in my 2b days more than a decade ago, and equally applicable when i finally got on a class 2. the book has more info than the video.

besides, motorcycle technology continues to improve as the years go by but until they invent a self-driven bike, the monkey on top of it still has to do the same thing regardless of the bike technology. that book is DEFINITIVE.

triface
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's also a video version of this. I was linked to the abridged version in my bike whatsapp group.

Number One Property
    has no status.
    Banned
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must adjust your speed before corner entry.