Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by melvintay View Post
    Uncle Frank, back from your trip? I believe you enjoyed as always.

anyway, any of u can direct me on how to install air horns and the headlight switch? ever since the previous meet up, had been wanting to install them. Loud horns save lives, as said by jleo. I remember that! haha... and Manjan, can i look u up for installing the headlight switch? I'm still in the midst of exams, but am really eager to make riding safer.

appreciate all of ur help. thanks for providing me more info of bikes. ups for impulse, and of cos suzuki!
    I tested and confirmed my bike's full tank(18 lit capacity) travelling distance today- pumped till almost overflow at GP Esso, travelled to Jemaluang then back till bike totally die on the NSH just after Kulai re-entry - 284.6 km.

melvintay
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manjan-Bhai View Post
    eh bro, air horn is illegal, must be an electric horn. You could get hella supertone like mine. i feel thats the loudest it gets for electric horns.
    The switch thing, buy a switch from Sim Lim 1st, then when you free we arrange a meeting.
    yup, that was wat i mean, electric horn. checked out with Frank that day, my horns are working, pretty loud actually, juz that sometimes its not loud enough, maybe installing a relay aft my exams.

for the headlight switch, thanks in advance! will contact u again aft i buy the switch!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that's close enough.

melvintay
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank y View Post
    I tested and confirmed my bike's full tank(18 lit capacity) travelling distance today- pumped till almost overflow at GP Esso, travelled to Jemaluang then back till bike totally die on the NSH just after Kulai re-entry - 284.6 km.
    Wow, i'll have to wait till next year b4 i get my class 2, really wana try the power of it. great that u enjoyed! thanks for helping out yesterday again!

Frank y
    Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get To Know/Understand Yourself And Your Bike -

Anyone wanna ride up to Jemaluang(just before Mersing) tomorrow Sat 3rd May?

0700hr at GP Esso - NSH - Kulai - Kota Tinggi - Jemaluang - breakfast - Kota Tinggi - Kulai - NSH - GP Esso.

I'll be going pretty slow cos my wife's coming along(her first time up M'sia on this bike). I might also bring along some Impulse spares - 1 coil, ignition module just in case, but not tyre repair kit.

Don't worry, I'll watch out for whoever are first-timers, i.e., if you know the way, I'll be the last bike; but if you don't know the way, I'll be just ahead of you so that you can see where I turn.

Also, sorry so last minute. That's because it's also last-minute that my wife confirmed going, so I thought it's suitable to check whether any of you interested. There'll be around 2-3 other bikes going(one of them just started riding again, that's why I'm again last bike this time round) - they can go ahead while we cruise along comfortably but always maintaining a 50m distance between bikes, cos we'll wait for each other, not race.

Speeds:
    1) North-South highway -- 120 to 140kph for overtaking, faster if you're comfortable
    2) Straight trunk road, light traffic -- 110 to 130kph or follow those in front still keeping 50m distance
    3) Corners -- any speed that you're comfortable
    4) Overtaking -- always drop down to a suitable gear to accelerate for quick overtaking cos excessive time spent on the other side of the road is dangerous.

Bring:
    1) A valid passport
    2) Malaysia ringgit (around 60 for petrol, add ringgit for food, emergency funds, etc.) Generally 200 ringgit is ok. I usually bring around 300 - 400.
    3) A well-maintained bike
    4) A courteous, friendly, well-disciplined riding attitude
    5) A well-rested you

Turn up tomorrow at Gelang Patah Esso station at 0700hr. We will leave there at 0715hr after topping-up.
    Last edited by Frank y; 12-04-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get To Know/Understand Yourself And Your Bike -

Anyone wanna ride up to Jemaluang(just before Mersing) tomorrow Sat 3rd May?
    Hey Frank, any trips planned for the coming weekend?
    The best way to console a depressed girl: Offer your shoulder.
    The best way to console a depressed guy: Suck Thumb la Brother.

1998 Suzuki GSX 400 Impulse - June'07 to ?
    2001 Phantom TA200 - Aug'06 to June'07

Frank y
    Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Frank, any trips planned for the coming weekend?
    No. Anyway, most of my rides are decided just a day or two before the actual ride.

melvintay
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how have all of u been? anw, wana enquire about 2 things:

1. can super 4's tyre fit impulse? 2nd hand tyre recommendable? i thought i heard somewhere that the width of super 4's tyre is too wide or something, but this mechanic told me can fit, better for cornering too. I'll certainly like a wider wheel base, my rear tyre is getting botak soon, hope to receive advice here.

2. my bike hasn't been starting smoothly when electric starting (cranking?). cranking and slight throttle will normally get the bike started, but ever since my servicing (changing plugs and EO), it's like quite "laggy" in starting, feeling like not enough fuel. but aft repeatedly cranking and throttling more will start the bike normally again. is there any problem with my bike?

thanks in advance for all your advices and guidances.

nE0
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. can super 4's tyre fit impulse? 2nd hand tyre recommendable? i thought i heard somewhere that the width of super 4's tyre is too wide or something, but this mechanic told me can fit, better for cornering too. I'll certainly like a wider wheel base, my rear tyre is getting botak soon, hope to receive advice here.

2. my bike hasn't been starting smoothly when electric starting (cranking?). cranking and slight throttle will normally get the bike started, but ever since my servicing (changing plugs and EO), it's like quite "laggy" in starting, feeling like not enough fuel. but aft repeatedly cranking and throttling more will start the bike normally again. is there any problem with my bike?

Super4 tyres do fit, but take note that different versions of Super4s have different tyre sizes.

Try Dunlop Arrowmax. Good value for money, as much grip as you need, lasts very long. Rear tyre size is 150, but you can go for 160 width if you want.

Who will guard the guards?

melvintay
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nE0 View Post
    Super4 tyres do fit, but take note that different versions of Super4s have different tyre sizes.

Try Dunlop Arrowmax. Good value for money, as much grip as you need, lasts very long. Rear tyre size is 150, but you can go for 160 width if you want.
    thanks for the reply. i guess i'll go for 2nd hand tires. tight on budget.

nE0
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the reply. i guess i'll go for 2nd hand tires. tight on budget.
    A brand new pair costs around $250 or less, and lasts at least 40,000km. You'll probably spend more when you replace your 2nd hand tyres.

Who will guard the guards?

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

mine has the same issue too. well.. im guessing its the age of the bike that plays a part here. another thing is.. is this 'cranking' the first of the day? usually in the mornings, it would take a few tries to get it going.

1. I suggest you try cold start, i.e. throttle a tiny bit as you crank. As the engine starts to cough, maintain your grip on the throttle for abt 5 secs, so that the engine doesnt die off. this will get the bike started a little faster.

2. Another suggestion is to check your idling. When you start the bike, what is the rpm? Below 500, 750, 1000 ?? If it is below 500, v likely you need to increase the idling a lil bit. And also check what is the idling, after you have moved off and reached your destination. Is it 1000, 1200, 1400 ??? Betwn 1000-1200 should be fine. I tend to prefer closer to 1000.

melvintay
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mine has the same issue too. well.. im guessing its the age of the bike that plays a part here. another thing is.. is this 'cranking' the first of the day? usually in the mornings, it would take a few tries to get it going.

1. I suggest you try cold start, i.e. throttle a tiny bit as you crank. As the engine starts to cough, maintain your grip on the throttle for abt 5 secs, so that the engine doesnt die off. this will get the bike started a little faster.

2. Another suggestion is to check your idling. When you start the bike, what is the rpm? Below 500, 750, 1000 ?? If it is below 500, v likely you need to increase the idling a lil bit. And also check what is the idling, after you have moved off and reached your destination. Is it 1000, 1200, 1400 ??? Betwn 1000-1200 should be fine. I tend to prefer closer to 1000.
    thanks for ur suggestion bro! mine sounds normal like what u say, just start RPM above 500, idling aft started is about 1100. my suspicion arose because before my servicing, one crank even w/o throttling will get the bike started.

also, i'm not too sure if it is true, I do feel that my bike has less power nowadays. is it psychological? could it bcos i'm getting more used to an impulse, that's y i dont feel it's initial surge i used to feel? if not, what could be wrong if i feel less power? my definition of power is when i whacked the throttle last time, it gives me real fast acceleration, now i dont really feel the same. not need for speed, just wondering if something is not going on well with the bike.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for ur suggestion bro! mine sounds normal like what u say, just start RPM above 500, idling aft started is about 1100. my suspicion arose because before my servicing, one crank even w/o throttling will get the bike started.

also, i'm not too sure if it is true, I do feel that my bike has less power nowadays. is it psychological? could it bcos i'm getting more used to an impulse, that's y i dont feel it's initial surge i used to feel? if not, what could be wrong if i feel less power? my definition of power is when i whacked the throttle last time, it gives me real fast acceleration, now i dont really feel the same. not need for speed, just wondering if something is not going on well with the bike.
    Hmm.. i share the same view. i concluded mine as psychological. Cos i rem that initially i found my previous bike (phantom) quite ok. Then in time to come, i found it v slow! So i concluded that this is an example of getting used to my current ride, and being comfy w my usual cruising speed.

bananarider
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi guys. New impulse rider here. Mind sharing which shops do u guys frequent to service your bike?

fyghter
    fyghter
    has no status.
    Edit

Hi guys, been reading up all ur threads.....cool n nice bikes u guys have!!!
    The more I look at an Impulse, the more 'Impulse' I get.....
    Really love the half vintage half naked bike look of impulse.

Anyone selling their impulse or anyone seen any impulse selling at any bike shops?

Thanks in advance

Btw, jus my 2 cents worth of opinion.....I really feel that this thread should be moved to naked bike section....It rocks man!!!

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bananarider View Post
    hi guys. New impulse rider here. Mind sharing which shops do u guys frequent to service your bike?
    I usually go to First Motor (only shop i found having Rock Oil) or Bike Werkz at Ubi. Then again, this is subjective and most shops are okay, if you feel the price is okay.

Just curious, what Engine Oil do the other Impulse Riders use? Any idea which shop carry Shell E.O. and might do E.O. change. I went to Albert and they only do for in-house.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just curious.. how is the fuel consumption of our new impulse biker?

jleo
    has no status.
    Kruzers
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just curious.. how is the fuel consumption of our new impulse biker?
    I usually get 23-25km/h with RPM mostly < 5k...

Oil we use Motul semi syn 15-50W which is changed every 3-4mth...

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is everyone's impulse doing?

Frank y
    Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is everyone's impulse doing?
    Unfortunately, scrapped my Impulse recently.

Sent in:- frame, engine, wheels, tyres, forks, swingarm, radiator.

The rest retained:- tank, carbs n some manifolds, bitubo shocks, Veypor meter, ignition n electrical n sparkplug cables, coils, starter, ac gene, after-market lights and indicators, footpegs n brackets, motard handlebar, switches, internal storage container, seat release mechanism, L&R levers, coolant reservoir, calipers n pumps, brake master cylinders, mono seat, etc.
    Last edited by Frank y; 12-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.

DrRaptor
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys,
    Bit off topic, but does anyone know the fork oil capacity for a 1996 Impulse?

Cheers

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, scrapped my Impulse recently.

Sent in:- frame, engine, wheels, tyres, forks, swingarm, radiator.

The rest retained:- tank, carbs n some manifolds, bitubo shocks, Veypor meter, ignition n electrical n sparkplug cables, coils, starter, ac gene, after-market lights and indicators, footpegs n brackets, motard handlebar, switches, internal storage container, seat release mechanism, L&R levers, coolant reservoir, calipers n pumps, brake master cylinders, mono seat, etc.

I wonder but haven't checked, whether some of these can be used for my other GSX.
    your other gsx would mean the inuzama rite? i was interested in the tank, cos mine cant drain off excess rainwater but i have confirmed there is nothing wrong w the seal. by the way, this one that was scrapped is Samir's impulse?

Frank y
    Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, Samir's. A bit too dangerous to ride cos the bike's geometry changed too much, there were also forks problem, radiator clearance problem - all of which costs too much to rectify. Also, didn't want to kill anyone by selling it off.
    Last edited by Frank y; 12-04-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is everyone's impulse doing??

Its about time mine goes for some servicing. Oil change, oil filter, plugs.

On another note, my spark plug caps are not original and sometimes super heavy rain, the 2nd plug from right will get wet despite the industrial sealant. Im considering getting new original spark plug caps. I found out the price to be $22 per cap. Any idea how long these things will last before experiencing any leak? im trying to weigh and compare the occasional misfiring and replacing of one $8 spark plug.

weeable
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nobody riding an impulse anymore?

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everyone is busy with stuff i guess. At the last meet up there was about 4 impulse riders? And that was a one off meet-up some time last year.

manutd26
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi i m a impulse rider...jus bought the bike in oct...
    i jus wan to knw wat other exhaust system can impulse use ah..

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

suzuki exhaust not loud enough eh? jokes aside, im not sure what slip-ons can be used. personally i wont bother upgrading a 400 cc that much but thats just me.

scotttiger79
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to Unlock Samsung E590

Hi

I have mobile unlocking shop in india.One of my custemer came from uk. Bring his Samsung E590. He wants to use his mobile in indian local network. SO i try to get the unlock instrucitons for his mobile. I find the site http://www.mobileunlockguide.com/ there i got the unlocking instrcutions for Samsung E590. But it says i need unlock code to unlock his mobile. So i try to get the unlock code for his mobile. from varius sites. All are very expensive. I need chepeast good working code. can u provide me code for his mobile? or else can u know where i get the code?and can u gauranty how it will work?

beng swee
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by I am Roy View Post
    I have the owners' manual. Maybe I'll make a few copies then let u know.... Who else would like to have as well? Can pm me
    Hi Roy,
    Just bought Suzuki Impluse GSX400V -1996 like the retro look and responsive engine. Nice of you to share your manual as its difficult to locate them could be because its for Japanese market. Would like to get copy of repair and maintenance manual to start rebuild my Impluse.
    Cheers & Thank You
    Beng Swee
    Last edited by beng swee; 10-05-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you have in mind to rebuild?

beng swee
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite no response so removed posting.
    Cheers
    Last edited by beng swee; 14-07-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: delete

excel
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi guy, I getting my suzuki impulse tis thurday.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

excel: Congrats on your new ride!

fiery
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys.. i would like to ask bout the insurance stuff. Currently I have a impluse FP plate and am 21 yrs old. I got the 3rd party insurance with NTUC income and the model is stated as 'GSX400'. Is this more expensive than the 'others' category and did the person doing my insurance put down the wrong model? Wat's the average NTUC impluse400 insurance price for a 21 yrs old? Thanks.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiery View Post
    Hi guys.. i would like to ask bout the insurance stuff. Currently I have a impluse FP plate and am 21 yrs old. I got the 3rd party insurance with NTUC income and the model is stated as 'GSX400'. Is this more expensive than the 'others' category and did the person doing my insurance put down the wrong model? Wat's the average NTUC impluse400 insurance price for a 21 yrs old? Thanks.
    i do not know whats the ins cover for a 21 yr ol.

mine (25 yrs ol) is <$300 after 15% discount.

hope this helps.

To add: for an ins co to have GSX400 on their list is kinda rare. Usually they use the same premium as Bandit GSF400.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just changed my air filter.. fc is at 25km/ltr for now.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be getting my impulse400v next week from a forumer here, anyone has the service manual which I can borrow to photocopy??

Also looking for the following parts if anyone is scrapping their impulse

Last edited by S750WP; 19-09-2009 at 08:42 AM.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my Impulse yesterday, the engine is very smooth and responsive. Will like to do some maintenance gradually on my own, any one has the service manual, been searching high and low on goggles but no luck.

Will be changing the coolant first, any idea where is the drain plug?
    Last edited by S750WP; 27-09-2009 at 07:48 AM.

Frank y
    Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S750WP View Post
    Just got my Impulse yesterday, the engine is very smooth and responsive. Will like to do some maintenance gradually on my own, any one has the service manual, been searching high and low on goggles but no luck.

Will be changing the coolant first, any idea where is the drain plug?
    Try searching here:
    http://www.dansmc.com/shopmanual2.htm

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank Francis for the link but I did not find any GSX400 impulse manual, but will be using the GSF400 bandit manual as a reference for checking my valve clearance this week end if I can get hold of the valve and cam cover gasket from KS.

Anyway here is the link for workshop manuals for most bike

http://ursa.irk.ru/manual/

Will post some pics of the procedures for other impulse rider whom wish to DIY to check and adjust the valve clearance.

Frank y
    Commoner
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank Francis for the link but I did not find any GSX400 impulse manual, but will be using the GSF400 bandit manual as a reference for checking my valve clearance this week end if I can get hold of the valve and cam cover gasket from KS.

Anyway here is the link for workshop manuals for most bike

http://ursa.irk.ru/manual/

Will post some pics of the procedures for other impulse rider whom wish to DIY to check and adjust the valve clearance.
    Isn't the Impulse engine more akin to the GSX400FW rather than the Bandit?

I used to have a saved web-link for valve clearances for Suzukis(I tried finding it these past few days), but couldn't find it in my PC. I use the bigger Bandit workshop manual. But I also have a copy of the GSX1200 parts manual, and I refer to this whenever I visit Guan Hoe or EverSuccess.

Manjan-Bhai
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats great.. my impulse might need valve clearance soon. Could use your info for reference.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the Impulse engine more akin to the GSX400FW rather than the Bandit?

I used to have a saved web-link for valve clearances for Suzukis(I tried finding it these past few days), but couldn't find it in my PC. I use the bigger Bandit workshop manual. But I also have a copy of the GSX1200 parts manual, and I refer to this whenever I visit Guan Hoe or EverSuccess.
    The GSX400FW is dated way back to the 1980s I don't the spec is relevant at all, I will check the valve clearance on my first and see the difference between the highest and lowest value and adjust to the average height.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have DIY to replace the worn out engine sprocket, the old one is causing alot of noise already.

See the difference between the oem vs the non original sprocket.

Total cost: $190

Original Suzuki front sprocket: $45
    EK O-ring chain from LAB: $75
    Front wheel bearing at Mah motor :$35
    Modified Honda Phamtom chain guard from Mah motor: $10
    Rear passenger LHS footpegs from Mah motor: $10
    Speedo meter cable: $25

Last edited by S750WP; 17-02-2010 at 12:57 PM.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the valve clearance today, here is the procedure if you wish to DIY

Tools needed
    -------------
    6mm allen key (to remove the cam cover bolts)
    8mm socket wrench (to remove the RHS cover)
    10mm socket wrench ( to remove the fuel tank and radiator)
    17mm socket wrench (to rotate the cam shaft)
    8mm c spanner (to loosen the lock nut and adjust the clearance)
    1 x phillip screwdriver ( to remove the water hose clips)
    1x tweezer or long nose pliers ( to hold the adjuster when tighten the lock nut)
    1 set of metric feeler gauge ( to measure the valve clearance)
    1 plier/vice grip ( to grip and release the water hose clip)
    1 16mm spark plug wrench ( to remover the sparks plugs)
    1 tube of high temp gasket sealant

I intend to reuse the cam cover gasket hence I did not buy the gasket.

Procedure
    ----------
    Make sure the bike is cold before checking else the measurement will not be correct.

1. Remove fuel tank
    2. Drain the coolant
    3. Remove the thermostat
    4, Remove the radiator
    5. Remove the spark plug
    7. Open the cam cover
    8. Open the RHS small engine cover

9. Use the 17mm wrench and turn the nut clockwise to rotate the cam shaft such that the cam side grooves (lRHS) face each other then check and adjust the relevant valve's clearance. (refer to suzuki workshop manual).

10.Use the 17mm wrench and turn the nut clockwise to rotate the cam shaft such that the cam side grooves (lRHS) face away from each other then check and adjust the rest of the valve's clearance.

I do not have the specs of the valve clearance, but when I checked all of the clearance are 0.10mm and only one of it is 0.15mm. For the intake I set all to 0.10mm and exhaust side 0.15mm.

Problem Encounter
    ------------------

1. I had a hard time to clean away the old gasket sealant from the previous owner whom over applied the sealant

2, The previous owner damage the cam cover screw thread, now I am waiting to get the spares from the scrap yard.

Enjoy the pics.

Total cost spend: $158.30

Valve cover gasket:$28
    Spark plug cover (red) x 4pcs: $20
    High Temp RTV sealant: $5
    Redline water wetter: $18
    Distilled water: $2
    Spark plug X 4: $28
    Mobil 1 fully syn engine oil 3L:$38
    Suzuki Oil filter:$19.30

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by S750WP; 17-02-2010 at 01:18 PM.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally closed the cam cover after replacing the cam shaft holding fixture get from the scrap yard. The original one the screw thread is broken as a result the cam cover cannot be bolt down. Also I have sprayed the cam cover with high temp paint and its looking like new.

I have not started the bike up as I notice the spark plugs sold to me by KS is the worng type. Damm the uncle gave me U27ETR for bandit/GSXR when I asked for impulse400 spark plugs.

Anyway I flush the cooling system today with vinegar, the previous owner has overlook and skimp on the coolant maintenance, the cooleant reservoir level was low and the reserve tank is empty and water instead of coolant was used resulted in corrosion, dark brown and slimy by product was drained from the radiator and reserve tank.

I am using white vinegar to flush the coolant system. Later filled with redline water wetter mixed with distilled water for the coolant.

Total cost: $15

Used Cam journal from scrap yard: $10
    Used Cam side cover from scrap yard: $5
    Last edited by S750WP; 17-02-2010 at 12:51 PM.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installed a DIY chain oiler on my impulse today.

My DIY Chain oiler set up

90ml syringe to contain the oil and a hole make on the cover for the oil to flow smoothly

Plastic On/Off valve cost, $2 per pc, its better than the metal one which leaks after some opening and closing

Regulator to control the drip at 1 drop/min the dripper I am using the tubing from a pump of hair bubble dye.

Materials:

1 x 90ml syring
    1 x cover from car wash (to cover the syring, poke a hole on it as breather)
    Tubing ID 5mm and 3mm
    1 x on/off valve (aquarium)
    1 x regulator (aquarium)
    1 pc of wire (to form the frame to tie the dripper to the sprocket)
    2 x rubber washer ( to secure the wire frame on the swing arm)
    1 x pump tubing from the bubble dye
    Cable ties

The chain oiler needs to be prime. meaning to open the valve and the regulaotr fully for the oil to flow till you see the whole line is filled with oil, then regulate the oil to 1 drop/min then close the valve. Just on the valve when ridiing and it will oil the chain.

S750WP
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My coolant pipe is leaking, after leaving the vinegar solution in the system overnight, probably the vinegar solution attacked the gasket sealant the previous owner used to patch the leak.

After much effort I finally scrape off all the sealant and loosen the nut and remove the corroded metal pipe fixed at the engine.

Pics of the corroded pipe, I probably can patch with steel epoxy but I decided to replace a new one as its badly corroded and it may leaked again.

When I flush with tap water , all the rust came out and the water is brown, I continue to flush and open all the radiator hose to ensure there are no more rust in the system until the water comes out clear.
    Last edited by S750WP; 18-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Marcheline
    is neurotic, bordering on psychopathy.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there S750WP, great job there restoring your Suzuki Impulse yourself. I'm also in the process of getting the appropriate tools and starting to DIY after seeing the exorbitant fees shops charge for the parts, not inclusive of labor. (e.g. A carburettor o-ring which costs $5 at Automachinery (Yamaha) was sold to me for $15 apiece by the shop!) And my bike has 4 cylinders.

Enough motivation for that.
    For the certainty of death and the knowledge of life's fragility, makes it worth living.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast