User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type of s4 has the best fuel consumption?

Voters
567. You may not vote on this poll
  • Project Big 1

47 8.29%
  • Ver S

199 35.10%
  • Ver R

12 2.12%
  • Spec 1

105 18.52%
  • Spec 2

40 7.05%
  • Spec 3

139 24.51%
  • Super Bol'dor

25 4.41%
Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Technical - Fuel Consumption

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default [Discussion] Technical - Fuel Consumption

Hi, new to this forum.

Some doubts that i wish to clarify, riding a FS plate VTEC 1.

1. wat is the fuel consumption of a average S4? i ride @ 7000 rpm most of the time, travel at most till 300 km on a full tank only.

2. What is the fuel capacity of the bike? everytime i pump, it goes to 16 litres or so.. works out to have 20km or so for 1 litre......

3. Anyone realise that different brand of same grade petrol actually shows a difference? i tried with a few brands, realising that some are more powerful though they are of the same grades......

Thanks for reading and i hope someone helps with the questions.

speedjpop
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i put in my bike's (FN Version R) data for ref/comparing :

1. wat is the fuel consumption of a average S4? i ride @ 7000 rpm most of the time, travel at most till 300 km on a full tank only.

I pump $10.00 worth of Shell Fusion each time. usually i pillion my galfrd most of the time and RPM seldom goes over 7000. Usually, the $10.00 can last me 170-195km.

2. What is the fuel capacity of the bike? everytime i pump, it goes to 16 litres or so.. works out to have 20km or so for 1 litre......

The max I pumped before is $21.00++ of Shell Fusion petrol. that is including reserve fuel. Full tank plus reserve, i think mine can do 320-390km.

3. Anyone realise that different brand of same grade petrol actually shows a difference? i tried with a few brands, realising that some are more powerful though they are of the same grades......

Shell V-power does produce a bit more power for my bike, but its seems like the engine LIKES 2 drink it....so $$ offset the power. therefore, i stick with Fusion ever since.

any1 else riding Version R? yr bike's ful intake varies diff from mine?

by the way, my idiling is set to 0.8rpm. might have a minor effect on the fuel intake.
    ;=-
    ;=- Who Dares, Wins ;=-
    ;=-

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget to say that i riding a Vtec 1.

Think the way i ride is a bit on the high revs side... i mainly pump 98 petrol.. so that will bring the cost up to $18 or so... pump only when i reaching empty.... or normally when my bike reaches 260km.

how to know when you are using reserve.... the only times that i feel that the bike doesn't really respond to the throttle are times that i panic that i am running out of petrol.... IS the red LED on the console the warning?

Regarding the different brands.... i find SPC, Caltex, BP petrol giving my bike more power over Shell.... of the same grades... When i pump V power... bike is quieter but drinks a bit more..... used to add a bit of additives to the petrol to get the power boost... something my dad passed me... so between the different manufacturers.... got difference??
    NSR 150SP; Super 4 Spec I; CBR 929; GSX 750; R 1150 GS; Piaggio X8

Feels like moving a circle....

GhostBiker
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

super4 tank capacity is 18litres
    hits reserve at 15litres
    my consumption rate is about 22km per litre onwards
    the last time i pump is RM22.50 for 380km
    Class 2bHonda TA150, Yamaha RXZ135, SYM Magic110, Kawasaki KSR110, SYM GTS200, Paijifa F150, Yamaha Cygnus Z125
    Class 2aHonda CB400 Project Big 1, Version S, Honda Shadow 400
    Class 2Yamaha Vmax1200, Honda CBR1100XX, Honda Deauville650, Honda CB1300, Yamaha FZ6S, Honda Varadero1000, Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R

LollyPoP
    always have not enough $$
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

highest i tried was close to 410km with RM$26.00 worth of V-power. (neber think of mavrypower tat time )

work out to be close to 23.5km/litre.
    travelling at 90-110km/hr...
    LEAF departure is B`cos of WIND pursit or TREE didn't ask her to stay?
    U YEARN for wat u FANTASIZE den 2 realise who U should TREASURE...

叶的离去是因为风的追足还是树没有挽留
    你期望你所要得, 但却没有发现到你所真正珍惜的

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how is it indicated in any way that your fuel hit reserve????

ooniq
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u'll see ur fuel indicator bar running left to right

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okkie... thanks.
    but it happens then go back to 1 bar rite... then how much fuel am i supposed to have left?

smokin
    has no status.
    SBF CB400s
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okkie... thanks.
    but it happens then go back to 1 bar rite... then how much fuel am i supposed to have left?
    when the bars start to blink or run from right to left, u have hit reserve. that's about 2 to 3 liters left.
    pos·er (pozr) n.
    A Sportbike rider who habitually pretends to be something he is not and only care about how they appear to the public as their bikes are nothing more than props to get them noticed by girls or even teenage boys which they want to impress with fictional tales of all the hardcore riding they do.

PuRe-EviL
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually mileage not only has to do with rpm and brand of petrol.

V power is actually 98 with addictives. It doesn't burn fast, it is just very volatile, i.e. evaporate very fast.

Other factors like tyre pressure, sprocket ratio, whether you travel on expressways/small roads more often all play a part too. If your tyre pressure is high, i.e. 36-38 psi, you will gain more mileage. Sprocket ratio if drop to 44 or 43 will gain mileage. Frequent travelling on expressways over long distances also lets u attain higher mileage.

Just my personal experience. Hope it helps.
    Yoshimura - Performance Engineering Race

Kenneth Lee
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not very true. With V-power, I hit reserve at 340km. But with mobil or Petronas, I hit reserve at 400km, which is 60km difference.

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just asking... since someone mentioned about tyre pressure....
    how much should one pump?? i normally ride with my gf as pillion..... total of 120kg +/- .... i putting 29PSI.....

kopi
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the way we ride our S4 also do counts.... If i travel around 80Km/h ~100km/h which is still below 7k rpm, my fuel comsumption is very good.Can go to 300++ before hitting my reserve. However if i keep dragging my bike, around 260+ will hit reserve.

PuRe-EviL
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not very true. With V-power, I hit reserve at 340km. But with mobil or Petronas, I hit reserve at 400km, which is 60km difference.

PuRe-EviL
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just asking... since someone mentioned about tyre pressure....
    how much should one pump?? i normally ride with my gf as pillion..... total of 120kg +/- .... i putting 29PSI.....
    You can try 32/34 psi for front, 34/36 psi for rear. But do be careful when you corner, cos the bike is a little 'lighter'. I'm doing 32 psi for front, 34 psi for rear

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... been cheated... saw at the back... somewhere on the bike say 29...
    does that also account for my low milage??

smokin
    has no status.
    SBF CB400s
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... been cheated... saw at the back... somewhere on the bike say 29...
    does that also account for my low milage??
    if the back says 29, then that's the correct pressure. if u are gonna pump too high, it's not gonna be healthy for your tyres. unhealthy tyres means early replacements which also equates to spending money faster. which one u wanna save, gas or tyres? do a bit of calculations here and u'll see it's all back to square one.
    however, depending on conditions, u may pump it just a little higher. not too much.
    tyre pressures do affect milage but did u check on other things that affect your milage as well such as air filter, carb, riding styles and so on...
    u might wanna add how much km u ride before your tank dry up?
    pos·er (pozr) n.
    A Sportbike rider who habitually pretends to be something he is not and only care about how they appear to the public as their bikes are nothing more than props to get them noticed by girls or even teenage boys which they want to impress with fictional tales of all the hardcore riding they do.

Air Jordan
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the back says 29, then that's the correct pressure. if u are gonna pump too high, it's not gonna be healthy for your tyres. unhealthy tyres means early replacements which also equates to spending money faster. which one u wanna save, gas or tyres? do a bit of calculations here and u'll see it's all back to square one.
    however, depending on conditions, u may pump it just a little higher. not too much.
    tyre pressures do affect milage but did u check on other things that affect your milage as well such as air filter, carb, riding styles and so on...
    u might wanna add how much km u ride before your tank dry up?

I agree with bro smokin. Actually there is a guide written on the chain guide (If you notice it). If you don't know just refer to the recommended one. My cousin last time always pump in higher pressure. End up kanna a few tumors on his tyre after some time.

stanboy
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i put in my bike's (FN Version R) data for ref/comparing :

I pump $10.00 worth of Shell Fusion each time. usually i pillion my galfrd most of the time and RPM seldom goes over 7000. Usually, the $10.00 can last me 170-195km.

The max I pumped before is $21.00++ of Shell Fusion petrol. that is including reserve fuel. Full tank plus reserve, i think mine can do 320-390km.

Shell V-power does produce a bit more power for my bike, but its seems like the engine LIKES 2 drink it....so $$ offset the power. therefore, i stick with Fusion ever since.

any1 else riding Version R? yr bike's ful intake varies diff from mine?

by the way, my idiling is set to 0.8rpm. might have a minor effect on the fuel intake.
    hey u ridin ver R ah...care 2 share hw the bike rides???coz mayb gettin 1...sorry abit...
    wheres my siggy?!?!

speedjpop
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey u ridin ver R ah...care 2 share hw the bike rides???coz mayb gettin 1...sorry abit...
    Hey, its a great feeling knowing ppl have an interest abt this bike! :-)

well, for a start...its not HIGH-TEC like the Specs1/2 nowadays...BUUUT, thats the beauty. no digitals = analog = cheap servicing = DIY capable. even my fuel meter is analog. plus i have a phycial reserve switch!! so i know i can still travel 30-40km after hitting it.

maintainence-wise, same same. onli that rear type can onli max put on 150mm. wanted to put BT010 160mm but murphy's law says it will screw up the handling and compromise safety.

fuel comsumtion, as my posting b4...

the mini headlight fairing....I love this design!...thats y i opt for Version R over Version S 3 yrs ago...the ERP unit can be squeeze in it but i didn't...cause i intend to leave the space in between for putting stuffs like newspaper, small packages, FOOD and DRINKS!!!....on the sides of the wind shield, i pasted a mini Singapore flag and my name!! guess im proud to be Singaporean.

She's a Old Virgin woman....2 more yrs in COE left but accident-free....
    and had served me very well....no hip-ups, worst stunt she pulled on me is a dead batt and retifier when i was abt to go to camp in the morning but its my fault, alrdy showing signs of failing batts days b4, backside itchy dun 1 2 go change it........I love her.

think of it.....i have not showered her for a mth alrdy....hmm shld give her a gd one 2morrow afternoon....
    ;=-
    ;=- Who Dares, Wins ;=-
    ;=-

yctradingsg
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny leh my vtec always hit reserve ard 260 or 250 one leh....something wrong with my bike? anyway abt the tyre pressure rite i pump 230 in front and 280 behind is that ok notz ah? seems like my bike fuel comsumption quite high leh considering i seldom kick the vtec in leh....

smokin
    has no status.
    SBF CB400s
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny leh my vtec always hit reserve ard 260 or 250 one leh....something wrong with my bike? anyway abt the tyre pressure rite i pump 230 in front and 280 behind is that ok notz ah? seems like my bike fuel comsumption quite high leh considering i seldom kick the vtec in leh....
    psi for most tyres are pretty standard 42psi. check the tyre wall how much ui shud pump in.
    pos·er (pozr) n.

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with bro smokin. Actually there is a guide written on the chain guide (If you notice it). If you don't know just refer to the recommended one. My cousin last time always pump in higher pressure. End up kanna a few tumors on his tyre after some time.
    Yup yup... thats the one i toking about... its stated there that tyres be pumped to 29PSI... but in the later post.. i see people saying 42 PSI.... so how ar??

Air Jordan
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup yup... thats the one i toking about... its stated there that tyres be pumped to 29PSI... but in the later post.. i see people saying 42 PSI.... so how ar??

Dunno Leh. How come they go so high? But if I were you, I will stick to the recommended. Unless they have special reason.

Sckona
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahahhah
    really sorry should be 290 PSI.....thats about 36-38PSI.....

TotoPiN
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is normal to have high fuel consumption after tuning? Use to hit reserve at 365 to 370 km. but now hit reserve at 300 km.

MrLau
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually can hit 330km before the reserve, after tuning 280km only... because engine smoother, every gear drag until VTEC kick in....

After that ride abit gentle (still drag but lesser), can hit 310km before reserve....
    ** Be smart, ride safely, stay legal **

Please read the << Street Smart >> thread.

chee_teck
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wah didnt know VTEC tank last so long?!!!
    How big is the size ar? consumption in per litre?

My bandit only 20 km /L and mine hit reserve like 300 at most leh ;p my tank only 10 or 12 litres i think
    Kenneth

Leisure riding...explore riding... but not FREE RIDING

Telur sebiji, riuh sekampung&#33; - (Direct translation) Lay one egg, tell whole village

Activ@ir
    Activ@ir
    has no status.
    Edit

i think vtec 18l lei.... so yr bandit muz hav bery gd fuel consumption to tahan 300km based on yr fuel tank 10 to 12 litres...

Enjoy
    Enjoy
    has no status.
    Edit

Wah didnt know VTEC tank last so long?!!!
    How big is the size ar? consumption in per litre?

My bandit only 20 km /L and mine hit reserve like 300 at most leh ;p my tank only 10 or 12 litres i think
    How can that big tank be only 12L? It definately doesn't look so small to me.

ooniq
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mine hit reserve at ard 320km and empty tank ard 360km (i learn it in a hard way)

Sev
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is normal to have high fuel consumption after tuning? Use to hit reserve at 365 to 370 km. but now hit reserve at 300 km.
    wah, 300km hit reserve, you must be ride very hard ar...

i tried on my ver s, normal rd 60kmh and expressway 110kmh, 400kmh then hit reserve....

i thought vtec should be more fuel economic?cos only got 2 valves working before the vtec switch on....

Biking, Bonking &amp; Boozing...
    The three great pleasures of life.

revolio103
    revolio103
    has no status.
    Edit

wah, 300km hit reserve, you must be ride very hard ar...

i tried on my ver s, normal rd 60kmh and expressway 110kmh, 400kmh then hit reserve....

i thought vtec should be more fuel economic?cos only got 2 valves working before the vtec switch on....
    Wah ver s can tahan so long ah........mine abot 360km hit reserve liao,
    seldom drag leh......

smokin
    has no status.
    SBF CB400s
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tuning??? maybe yr mech set it to rich hence the higher consumption.
    pos·er (pozr) n.

chee_teck
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can that big tank be only 12L? It definately doesn't look so small to me.
    I think so leh..let me check manual again
    Kenneth

Telur sebiji, riuh sekampung&#33; - (Direct translation) Lay one egg, tell whole village

chee_teck
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah i check the manual bandit V is 15L but bandit P is smaller i think..the last time i heard from my friends is 12 or 13 nia...anyway its 20 km/L wqhts urs?
    Kenneth

Enjoy
    Enjoy
    has no status.
    Edit

Yah i check the manual bandit V is 15L but bandit P is smaller i think..the last time i heard from my friends is 12 or 13 nia...anyway its 20 km/L wqhts urs?
    Reach reserve at about 300KM. Found out that it's something to do with the spark plug. Haven try with the new one yet.

revolio103
    revolio103
    has no status.
    Edit

Reach reserve at about 300KM. Found out that it's something to do with the spark plug. Haven try with the new one yet.
    hey bro can elaborate more......

Enjoy
    Enjoy
    has no status.
    Edit

hey bro can elaborate more......
    Fouling found on my plug.

towkaywong
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wa all of your super 4 can tahan very long distance leh mine only hit 300km the most.. then hit reseve liao.. is that something wrong with my bike? i did servicing twice liao..

wX
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

since this is a thread on fuel consumption, i think i wont

anyway, i have a question here. does petrol evaporate very quickly? in the first place, does it evaporate at all? Coz b4 i went NS, my fuel consumption was about 340 to hit reserve. now it's only about 290-300 to reserve. i made no modifications whatsoever, not even tuning. and my riding style is definitely still the same.

ekin101
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrol choice also have significant difference in terms of mileage.
    If pumping at J.B
    These petrol have better mileage on my vtec 1.

a) Petonas( Friend recommend and I tried, not bad )
    B) Esso Synergy F1.Purple

which else?
    With great Power, comes great responsibility.
    FJR1300

S4Sixty
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petrol choice also have significant difference in terms of mileage.
    If pumping at J.B
    These petrol have better mileage on my vtec 1.

a) Petonas( Friend recommend and I tried, not bad )
    B) Esso Synergy F1.Purple

which else?
    I reccomend
    1) Petronas
    2) Mobil F1
    in order of preference.

Cheers !

sfowner
    Love my VFR
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the theoretical capacity for specII is 18l, but once my fuel gauge starts dancing, and I top up to near the cap, only 12 litres leh? Did I measure wrongly?

i think vtec 18l lei.... so yr bandit muz hav bery gd fuel consumption to tahan 300km based on yr fuel tank 10 to 12 litres...

&quot;Thy fate is the common fate of all;
    into each life some rain must fall&quot; - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

S4Sixty
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the theoretical capacity for specII is 18l, but once my fuel gauge starts dancing, and I top up to near the cap, only 12 litres leh? Did I measure wrongly?

Fuel guage not very accurate.
    For me, guage will show empty !!
    But still haven't reach reserve yet.....

TotoPiN
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

today my guage hit 380 km before it hit reserve. Stop at patrol kiosk and meter read 395km. Top up fuel and fuel gauge at patrol kiosk read 15.3 litre. That is to say that it can go higher before fuel tank empty.

Conclusion for me: tunning will not necessary increase fuel consumption.

hachi
    waiting to down grade
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About 25km/l I think this is the best fuel comsumtion for S4

I also can manage 25km/l after fresh oil change
    Bikes Owned: LC125 RXZ135 GSXR400RP CB400VS CB400Spec2 SV650 02CBRF4i FZ1000 CBR929 05YZF-R6 CBR150 HondaSonic125 Yamaha_CygnusX125 KymcoGrandink_250 Hornet_250 04_Yamaha_Tmax Silverwing 400 FZ6_S2 GSXR600K7

Current bikes: NIL

Gear 4th

Nightstalker
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wa..how come all guys got such low consumption rates? i ridin specI. normally pump mobil 8000. only max 21km/l leh....is sth wrong? how to check?

sfowner
    Love my VFR
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can advise how u know when bike hit reserve? I pump once the gauge starts dancing, can I tahan any longer than that?

today my guage hit 380 km before it hit reserve. Stop at patrol kiosk and meter read 395km. Top up fuel and fuel gauge at patrol kiosk read 15.3 litre. That is to say that it can go higher before fuel tank empty.

Conclusion for me: tunning will not necessary increase fuel consumption.

&quot;Thy fate is the common fate of all;
    into each life some rain must fall&quot; - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Scalpel
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wah .... my Vtec 1 can't clock even 300km when i try to go more distant after it reach reserve only after 235km. and i finally empty my tank of V-power (singapore version) clocking only 288.8km.

It was after changing new oil and oil filter one half month back. Then wash cab plus tuning a week back . My mech told me about tuning to 3 half rounds instead of the 2 half rounds. i also .
    Bike more powerful and pick up much faster.
    I ride a WR last time so maybe its my riding style and that's why the fuel comsumtion is so high. i dunnno leh ... why ar ??

Normal road i ride around 60-70 ... Xpress way 90-110 lah.

Page 1 of 52 123451151 ... LastLast