TsuchimiRin
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if I should be posting here. I am riding a fz16 and I am hoping someone here has experience in so called loosening the front brake by a bit? I found out my front brake is eating too much and result in a tighter front wheel. My brake lever everything is normal just the front brake pad is rubbing onto my brake disc a little too much to the point I can hear the rubbing while riding even with my full face on.

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

U probably have a jammes caliper. Get the shop to strip and service the caliper. And check ur disc for any warp. If its constantly rubbing, chances are the disc would have overheated and warped

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200
    2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

TsuchimiRin
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by naim View Post
    U probably have a jammes caliper. Get the shop to strip and service the caliper. And check ur disc for any warp. If its constantly rubbing, chances are the disc would have overheated and warped

Thank you for your reply, I was thinking of servicing the caliper myself, but do you the average price of servicing the caliper?

naim
    rides a Maxsym 400i!
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Its nt that hard to service but the problem is making sure u have the o-rings and seals in hand. and knowing hw to bleed properly (dry system very tricky).

A ride a day, keeps the doctor away!

2010-2012 : Honda Phantom TA200
    2012-current : SYM Maxsym 400i

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/adiknaim

SG Maxsym FB Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/sgmaxsym/

Isopropyl
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isopropyl View Post
    after doing some research and stop short of ordering brake caliper specific grease oversea, i got some Dow Corning 111 compound from hardware shop. Dow Corning make good stuff but can be quite expensive.

it one of the recommended grease for brake caliper job by dow corning although not theirs specific caliper pin grease. it more of a general purpose silicone grease which is suitable for the intented purpose. the good thing is i can use it for jobs other then caliper pins. it pretty inert so you can even use it for the caliper piston without affecting the brake fluid.

it extremely clean grease and NLGI 3 rated which make it exceptional easy to work with. did i mention it is food grade grease?

will update again in 6 months on how it hold up.

here an interesting read on caliper pin grease.
    replaced the brake pad three days ago and did an inspection on the sliding pins grease after about 7 months since greasing it.

the grease still look and feel every bit like grease the colour darken but that is expected. i quite sure it can last at least a couple of years. clean up and re-greased everything. just love the silicone grease as it is very clean and easy to work with.

for the past 3 days, i feel there is a strong drag on my front wheel when i spin it after changing the brake pad. it will only spin about 1.5 round where normally it will spin 4-5 rounds easily. also, after riding for a while, the brake rotor will feel very hot to touch. something is wrong.

i thought of the possibilities and decide to start with the most simple possible solution first before having to move up to something more complicated. i opened up the brake fluid reservoir. the fluid level did not go above maximum mark still i removed some fluid to reduce it further. reassemble everything and wala, i am able to spin the wheel freely again

do watch out for the brake fluid level.

Isopropyl
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TsuchimiRin View Post
    Not sure if I should be posting here. I am riding a fz16 and I am hoping someone here has experience in so called loosening the front brake by a bit? I found out my front brake is eating too much and result in a tighter front wheel. My brake lever everything is normal just the front brake pad is rubbing onto my brake disc a little too much to the point I can hear the rubbing while riding even with my full face on.
    how old is your bike and the mileage? did you do anything to your brake system lately?

try to find similar bike and give the front wheel a spin and compare the drag to yours. all hydraulic brake system will have a certain amount of resistant as the brake pad is in constant contact with the rotor. if yours feel much more resistant then others, then there might be a problem. possible problem might be:

1) master cylinder piston assembly seized up.
    2) brake caliper sliding pins seized up.
    3) brake caliper piston seized up.
    4) somewhere along the line something is affecting the brake fluid from flowing smoothly.
    5) too much brake fluid. (read my previous post)

Hydher
    Is selling his GSXR1000
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good tip iso.
    I came back here to say that Brake caliper grease is not necessary.
    Internal pistons with brake fluid and seizable parts with anti-seize.
    Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

Orleng
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replaced the brake pad three days ago and did an inspection on the sliding pins grease after about 7 months since greasing it.

the grease still look and feel every bit like grease the colour darken but that is expected. i quite sure it can last at least a couple of years. clean up and re-greased everything. just love the silicone grease as it is very clean and easy to work with.

for the past 3 days, i feel there is a strong drag on my front wheel when i spin it after changing the brake pad. it will only spin about 1.5 round where normally it will spin 4-5 rounds easily. also, after riding for a while, the brake rotor will feel very hot to touch. something is wrong.

i thought of the possibilities and decide to start with the most simple possible solution first before having to move up to something more complicated. i opened up the brake fluid reservoir. the fluid level did not go above maximum mark still i removed some fluid to reduce it further. reassemble everything and wala, i am able to spin the wheel freely again

Aye, most definitely be wary of brake fluid levels. Had a shop once fill my bro's bike reservoir to the max. A little must have gotten past the rubber gasket when they reinstalled the cap. When he was riding back, the fluid squirted out the little breather hole on the cap and got on the tank, marring the finish.

Somewhat above the min line is full. For those bikes with min-max. Stay within those. This is definitely a case of more is NOT better.
    Smile! Tomorrow will be worse.

SBT #1149 Price List

ddjh9
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great tips tough..

Isopropyl
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone has experience doing fluid change for combined braking system?

are we suppose to bleed the fluid as normal or are we suppose to drain the the brake fluid through the delay valve's air bleed valve first?

superspeed123
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has nothing do to with the brake fluid level. You did not install your brakes pads correctly in the first place. It hapoened to me once, install new front brake pads. Did not check the front wherl for any free play. Went for a ride later, found the front brake discs too hot to touch.Went home, Re-install the front brake pads again, check for front wheel free-play, back to normal again. It happened to me when I changed tyres too.

Isopropyl
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by superspeed123 View Post
    It has nothing do to with the brake fluid level. You did not install your brakes pads correctly in the first place. It hapoened to me once, install new front brake pads. Did not check the front wherl for any free play. Went for a ride later, found the front brake discs too hot to touch.Went home, Re-install the front brake pads again, check for front wheel free-play, back to normal again. It happened to me when I changed tyres too.
    i quite sure it is due to the brake fluid. i did nothing else but removing some brake fluid and everything is fine. i did not touch the brake caliper again.

superspeed123
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I observed was , I took out the brake pads , pushed all the brake pistons back in, re-install the brake pads, pump the brake levers, check for free okay and back to normal again.

rype89
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi all, how do you guys dispose of your old brake fluid?

Hydher
    Is selling his GSXR1000
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IMG-20160218-WA0016[1].jpg IMG_20160218_132551[1].jpg

Done with my bleeding with ate brake fluid and tygon 2375 hose.
    Dragstar 400 classic & Zx6r

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234