Thread: DIY Guide: Bleeding n change of brake fluid

darren_soh86
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven seen ani guides in the forum bout this so i tot i post my humble research here for the benefits of newbies like me... If you guyz find it useful can request to mods to make this sticky.. here goes:\

I SUPER RECOMMEND tis to sum one hu has nvr change e brake fluid for a zillion yrs.. nw my rear brake lock lik no body business.. wahaha.. gif ur brakes new life !

Personalli tested n proven, the below process works.. and i used:

Shell DOT4 Brake n Clutch Fluid $6+
    0.5M of fish tank air pump pipe $0.20
    empty container FOC

1. Open up the master cylinder and wrap a piece of cloth around it to absorb any spills, brake fluid are LETHALto your paintwork.

2. Find out the specs of the brake fluid required by your machine by referring to the master cylinder cap. It comes in DOT. Dot 3, 4, 5 n so on. Buy a bottle of suitable brake fluid from any motordiam u like.

3. Start by connecting a length of clear plastic hose to the caliper bleed screw. Run the other end of the hose into a clear plastic container. Pour a few ounces of fresh brake fluid into the container. This will seal the open end of the line and prevent air from siphoning back into the system.

4. Open the bleed screw and pump the brake lever. You should see old, dirty fluid and perhaps a few air bubbles flowing out of the line.

5. Pump the lever while keeping an eye on the master cylinder. Top off the master cylinder with fresh fluid whenever the level drops to the add mark. Don't forget to check your catch can occasionally. It's easy to overflow it with old fluid and create a real mess.

6. Eventually you'll see only clean fluid flowing. At that point, tighten the bleed screw, pump the lever a few times and then, while holding the lever down, open the bleed screw as you normally would when bleeding the brakes. If no air bubbles or dirty fluid drains out, you're all done. If you’re working on a dual-caliper brake, repeat the process on the opposite caliper.

7. Top off the master cylinder, secure the cap and you're good to go for another year!

Source: http://motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/brakeserv04/

sg
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The method is correct. But for me before I attempt to do myself, I let the workshop to do first and I watch and learn from them. The next time round than I do myself.

Cheers.
    Leo Vince "4 Road" exhaust pipe

Arcfire
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gd for you......very detailed.... but for part 6, when you tighten the bleed screw after which you pump a few times, do you tighten with the brake depressed or released? somehow i have a feeling that there is a difference....

Jun 2002 - May 2003 ~ NSR150SP
    May2003 - Dec 2006 ~ GSXR400RR
    Oct 2006 - Present ~ Burgman AN400K3

sg
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before u lock the bleeder, press your break a few times until u found that the pressure is build up. (make sure u found no bubble coming out from the bleeder)
    Leo Vince "4 Road" exhaust pipe

dominator
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

always press on to the lever while locking the bleeder nipple nut.
    Remember no bike is the fastest, no place is that far and no road is that tough.
    Mind Over Body

darren_soh86
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by dominator@Mar 30 2005, 07:35 PM
    always press on to the lever while locking the bleeder nipple nut.
    yup i tink so too.. depress n tighten.. so that air dun get suck backwards into the system while u tighten..

cb1300
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tweakmax2
    has no status.
    Moderator Preview
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still to chim and complicated for mi

ambasnakeman
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

must depress very hard. sometimes can squeeze half way only. then when u loosen the bleeder, the lever will go all the way in. but remember to tighten first before releasing the lever.
    Don't just break your laptimes, SHATTER them!!

Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein, a German born theoretical physicist widely known as one of the greatest of all time

posted to M.R
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ambasnakeman@Apr 1 2005, 04:13 PM
    must depress very hard. sometimes can squeeze half way only. then when u loosen the bleeder, the lever will go all the way in. but remember to tighten first before releasing the lever.
    tat's mean hold it there until u tighten the nut,isit?

"But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth."

dominator
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ProjectD@Apr 7 2005, 09:44 PM
    tat's mean hold it there until u tighten the nut,isit?
    yes
    Remember no bike is the fastest, no place is that far and no road is that tough.
    Mind Over Body

IsphytonZ
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it need the engine to run for the bleeding process?are they related?

darren_soh86
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by IsphytonZ@May 23 2005, 11:10 AM
    is it need the engine to run for the bleeding process?are they related?
    Nop~ not related in ani way man..

ultimax
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need to change my entire brake pump. Is there anything that I have to look out for when I drain the old brake fluid (so that I can install the new pump) and add brake fluid to the new pump? thanks!

zeth83
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, how often shld I change my brake fluid? Wat's the frequency of changing of brake fluid like?
    你一定要快乐的想起我,如果你因我而悲伤,那就请你忘了我。

redbeacon
    does a double take...
    A metropolis bordered by dense forestation
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by zeth83@Aug 3 2005, 08:18 AM
    Hi, how often shld I change my brake fluid? Wat's the frequency of changing of brake fluid like?
    Hi,

Best to do it when the brake fluid is low (there's a window to where you can see your brake fluid level). Also done whent the brake fluid gets a bit "rotten".

If in doubt, simply go around riding (and braking)...If you think your brakes are not giving you enough stopping power even when you squeeze the brake lever hard, then it's time to change the brake fluid. There's a post regarding brake effectiveness.

As for frequency, up to you...For me, when my brakes are starting to lose its effectiveness and I know it's because of the fluid, change...
    Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum
    Devout junkie » Windows • Mac • Apple iOS • BlackBerry OS

"Shut up and ride..."

tyrant1983
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi..need to top up my brake fluid...problem is i dont know what brand of fluid is already in my bike..and whether its dot 3 or dot 4...the instructions on the fluid window say dot 3 and dot 4 is ok...my qn is...is it all right to mix different brands? and is it ok to top up dot 4 if the fluid already in the bike is dot 3?

ultimax
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by tyrant1983@Sep 15 2005, 06:13 PM
    hi..need to top up my brake fluid...problem is i dont know what brand of fluid is already in my bike..and whether its dot 3 or dot 4...the instructions on the fluid window say dot 3 and dot 4 is ok...my qn is...is it all right to mix different brands? and is it ok to top up dot 4 if the fluid already in the bike is dot 3?
    yes it's OK to mix. but what i suggest you do is to just bleed your brake, adding new fluid until it's clear. Esso sells a 500ml of DOT 4 fluid for only $6.70. LAB, Putoline 250ml DOT4, $5.

tyrant1983
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks for ur ans...but i have no idea where my master brake cylinder is much less noe how to bleed the brakes myself....riding a ta200...can advise? also...i have to repeat the process above for both front and rear brakes right?

CruSheR
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey i just now try to open the bleed screw but is so hard to open until the nut become round like this then i just top up the brake fluid should i change a new pair of brake pad if i top up my brake fluid?

redbeacon
    does a double take...
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by CruSheR@Oct 15 2005, 07:12 PM
    hey i just now try to open the bleed screw but is so hard to open until the nut become round like this then i just top up the brake fluid should i change a new pair of brake pad if i top up my brake fluid?
    The "balding" of the bleed screw nut also happened to me too. Don't continue to force it, bring it to the mechs to solve.

In your case, if you simply forgo the bleeding and proceed with the topping up of brake fluid, you still have your existing brake fluid still inside the brake pipe. And who knows, the brake fluid in there might be dirty. Plus, any air or water inside the pipe might still be in there so you have to bleed if these persists.

* Bleed only if you think your brakes aren't performing well or as Mr Darren Soh stated above, every 1 year.

"Shut up and ride..."

darren_soh86
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup.. like wat i said... unless u too free den its alrite to do all the time..
    aniwae.. the problems u guyz encountered, regarding the brake nipple srew getting rounded..

my front one is rounded and rusted sum more already.. i empathsize on the point.. if it gets rounded abit, STOP.

u guyz can get to ur mech to solve it or here's a suggestion.. go to Vector1 to get the nipple replaced with a stainless steel one.

regarding TA200.. the masterbrake cylinder is normally on the right handle bar, a small black box.. read the box cover and it says sumting bout DOT3 or DOT4. yes u do the same for front and back..

vfrT
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by CruSheR@Oct 15 2005, 07:12 PM
    Tuff on your rounded screw. Get a good vice grip and try to get out. Get a replacement on hand once that comes off. Try tapping the screw as you unscrew - it is probably locked in by rust.
    Check your pad for remaining friction material, there is an indicator wear grooves notched into the pad. If the pad is worn down to the bottom of that groove, change it. This is not related to fluid change or bleeding - which has its own maintenance and replacement regime.

ozzarhomb
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where can i find the screws that actually hold the brake reservoir cap? my screws are all rusted liao i scared if i dun change them soon i'll have problem next time if i wanna do bleeding or topping up of the brake fluid. any stainless steel ones available? i ride a honda CBR 150R

thanks in advance!
    Resolution for 2009, stay healthy, get wealthy, make more friends, ride safely & pass all exams!

civicblade
    has no status.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually you can get them from most hardware shop that sells screws. Just show them the sample when you reach the shop.

moccajava
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually... if u feel difficulty in loosening the nut... dun force as it may round the nut. try reverse-engineering... spray WD40... then TIGHTEN the nut a bit and try loosening it. more often than not will work.
    I am The Great Cornholio!
    And a Gringo...
    I have no Bunghole...

aH_gUAn
    has no status.
    Class 2A
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had bleed my brake at Planet recently

Did not see the mech tighten the brake nipple back...

Will anything happen if it is not tighten?

But i nv see any brake fluid flow out...

Anyone can advised
    Honda NSR150 SP : Feb 04 - Feb 05
    Honda CB400 Spec II : Jun 05 - Jan 08
    Nissan Latio : Feb 08 - ???

darren_soh86
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by aH_gUAn@May 22 2006, 12:23 PM
    Had bleed my brake at Planet recently

Did not see the mech tighten the brake nipple back...

Will anything happen if it is not tighten?

But i nv see any brake fluid flow out...

Anyone can advised
    if not tighten fluid will cum out.. if u are unsure, juz tighten it urself lo..

iliew
    has no status.
    P Plate
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took me a few times reading this and checking the original article before I spotted a very important part in section 3 which is rare/original compared to other online guides: "Pour a few ounces of fresh brake fluid into the container. This will seal the open end of the line and prevent air from siphoning back into the system." Of course, the tube would have to extend to the bottom of container below the level of the fresh brake fluid to be effective.

This makes this simple method a true "one man brake job" without requiring a second person to hold the brake lever down while you tighten the bleeder screw. It also seems to remove the necessity for (1) expensive MityVac (2) Speedbleeders - which I almost bought and (3) one-way valves to fit inside the clear hose - which I was trying to find in Singapore!

The extra brake fluid in the container acts as the "one way valve" preventing air back into the system. Thanks Darren for sharing the article.

Anyone know where to get Valvoline Syntetic Brake/Clutch fluid or similar synthetics at a good price?

Thai_R
    has no status.
    Class 2
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by iliew@Jun 21 2006, 02:30 PM
    It also seems to remove the necessity for (1) expensive MityVac (2) Speedbleeders - which I almost bought and (3) one-way valves to fit inside the clear hose - which I was trying to find in Singapore!
    Have u ever thought of using a big syringe ???
    Same actions performed. Suck out old fluid without letting air back in.
    Also a 1 man operation ! Cheap too !

Cheers !

My Bike Outside The Immigration Checkpoint of Mae Sod(Thai Mynmar Border), Mae Sod, Thailand
    25th Dec 2005 to 9th Jan 2006
    Singapore - Malaysia - Thailand
    Total Distance Covered ~ 7000+ km

rAjOaNa
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

can someone explain no.5 in details?
    as i dun get wat they are tokking abt in technical jargon.
    Yamaha LC 125 03/02 - 04/03
    Yamaha RXZ 03/03 - 04/05
    Suzuki Bandit VV 04/05 - 02/06
    Yamaha Fazer 1000 03/06 - 10/07
    Honda Blackbird 10/07 - 08/08
    Yamaha Fazer 600 10/08 - 02/10
    Honda Blackbird 02/10 - 03/12

RVF_Kenny
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I check if this procedure can apply if i DIY change the brakelines?

Dec00 - Aug03 : Honda Phantom TA150
    Aug03 - Feb06 : Honda CBR400RR L-model
    Oct03 - Mar04 : Honda NC35 RVF400RR
    Feb06 - Oct06 : Honda CB400 HyperVtec
    Oct06 - Sep07 : Honda NC35 RVF400RS

Sep07 - Now : Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 T.Spark

redbeacon
    does a double take...
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by rAjOaNa@Sep 8 2006, 09:43 PM
    can someone explain no.5 in details?
    as i dun get wat they are tokking abt in technical jargon.
    5. Pump the lever while keeping an eye on the master cylinder. Top off the master cylinder with fresh fluid whenever the level drops to the add mark. Don't forget to check your catch can occasionally. It's easy to overflow it with old fluid and create a real mess.

Bottom of the brake line, you have the "catch" which is a bottle connected to collect the dirty fluid.

At the top, you have the "master cylinder", where brake fluid is to be poured in during the bleed process.

Basically, it's like this: To flush away the old fluid, pour some fluid into the master cylinder. Doing so would push the fluid down the brake line and into the catch.

The author also stated that to completely flush away the old fluid, you need to force [the liquid inside the brake line] down as well. Pump the brake lever (squeeze it, let-go, squeeze it, let-go) while you pour the brake fluid capful by capful.

Stop when all the dirty fluid is flushed out and new fluid starts to come out from the bottom "catch" without any bubbles. Quickly tighten the bleed screw -- that will stop any more fluid from flowing out, implying that you're done with the whole bleeding process.

Hope this helps.

"Shut up and ride..."

Sretroyl
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bleeding both brakes lines together?
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift

2001 phantom 200
    2003 super4 Hyper vtec 1
    2004 Nsr150 sp
    2005 Blackbird Cbrxxx
    2006 Super4 vtec 1
    2008 R6

@h_püi™
    @h_püi™
    has no status.
    Edit

where can i discard all the old brake fluid?

thepunkz
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a new brake fluid is abt $5-$6, so how much would it be to get it done at shops?
    heard most shops would ask you to change the hose as well when u change the fluid. it is necessary?

LimHammett
    clocking posts days in SBF is well over.
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long does it takes to do bleeding when changing the brake hoses??

Aalex82
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LimHammett@January 11, 2007 12:08 pm
    how long does it takes to do bleeding when changing the brake hoses??
    abt a hour plus..
    unless u hav the equipment, if not u hav to do very very slowly..

2001~04---> NSR-150SP(FT43**H), RXK(FD41**)
    2004~06--> CBR-400RRR(FN31**R), RXK
    2006~07 ---> CBR929RRY(FS35**C), RXK
    2007~10 --> CBR929RRY, Wave125R(FY74**P)
    2010~Present -> CBR1000RR10(FBE56**T), Wave125R

retro
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by thepunkz@January 11, 2007 10:54 am
    a new brake fluid is abt $5-$6, so how much would it be to get it done at shops?
    heard most shops would ask you to change the hose as well when u change the fluid. it is necessary?
    not really necessary unless your rubber hoses are showing signs of wearing out...
    Iron Horses... Let's Rock and Roll!!!

LimHammett
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Aalex82@January 12, 2007 08:22 am
    abt a hour plus..
    unless u hav the equipment, if not u hav to do very very slowly..
    hmm..

bro.. bleeding wat type of equipment they use to speed it up??

Aalex82
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LimHammett@January 12, 2007 01:09 pm
    hmm..

bro.. bleeding wat type of equipment they use to speed it up??
    some bike shop hav a equipment that they connect to the air hose..
    the fluid is then pump into the hose straightaway..

LimHammett
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Aalex82@January 13, 2007 08:15 am
    some bike shop hav a equipment that they connect to the air hose..
    the fluid is then pump into the hose straightaway..
    air hose?? u mean the bleeding hole issit??

Raptor
    MotorSports.. I am the boss and worker.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm.... just so happened the Galfer steel braided brake hoses I ordered for my DRZ was DHL to me today. Will be swopping out the lines tomorrow.

The fastest way to 'prime' a newly fitted brake line is to just open the bleed valve and keep pumping on the brake lever. The level in the brake reservoir will drop very fast so you would want to keep an eye on that, you want to keep topping up the reservoir to maintain a full level. If you let the reservoir dry out... you will introduce air into the brake lines and the 'bleeding' process is going to take you quite a while and will use up alot of brake fluid.

Once there is a bubble free flow of brake fluid from the bleed valve, indicating that the lines are now 'primed' with brake fluid... you close the bleed valve and start bleeding the brakes.

While priming the lines or bleeding the brakes... it is advisable to cover the brake reservoir temporarily with the cap.. or else a little geyser of brake fluid is going to fly up and splash all over the bike during the return stroke.

FAA licenced motorcycle mechanic

Add me: http://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports

Aalex82
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LimHammett@January 13, 2007 12:28 pm
    air hose?? u mean the bleeding hole issit??
    nope..
    is the bike shop air hose where they insert their compress gun to open super tight nuts..
    or use the compressed air to blow away dirt when they wash yr carb..

LimHammett
    TeePee
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

orite guys thanks! now i understand the bleeding process.. gonna fix venhill lines for my sp soon!

irishR1
    has no status.
    L Plate
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all good advice that has been posted here, I would like to add a couple of things, most manufacturers recommend changing the barke fluid every two years. It draws in water and can cause the fulid to boil under hard braking as well as causing corrosion in the system. If you get air into the system bleed as already described, often you will find it can be really difficult to get all of the air out. If this is the case here is a handy tip that really works, with the system in its normal condition, ie bleed nipple closed and system topped up with fluid, cable tie or tie wrap the brake lever back to the handle bars, or as far as you can get it and leave it overnight. In the morning simple cut the cable tie free and you will often see air bubbles pass through to the master cylinder. remember to cut off the cable tie as starting off in the morning with the front brake full on just isnt funny! Except for any bystanders.
    Current Ride Yamaha R1, Kawasaki H2 750

thepunkz
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just a question to ask. how much does it cost to get the brake fluid done at motorshop?

Blues
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at motordiam just now... per line S$15.

So min $30 for front/rear.

thepunkz
    has no status.
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wa, per brake line $15? like real ex compare to D.I.Y.

Blues
    has no status.
    Class 2B
    Feedback Score
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe other brothers have better priced motorshop to recommend (other then agl in JB)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast