SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] DRZ 400 SM

biting_point
Go to solution Solved by exygon,

On 2/28/2021 at 4:11 PM, exygon said:

Cause throw in a lot of money on it already haha. 💸

So sayang man hahah I’m looking for hot cams 2 upgrade if you don’t mind selling them separately, let me know (testing) hahaha

20 hours ago, flfreaks said:

I just got the bike a few months ago when the forks were already in that condition. Thanks for the tips guy. I guess the previous owner left the motorcycle exposed without bike canvas under the sun and rain at the open space carpark for many years. Now after researching I am consider to either cover it with vinyl wrap (cheapest) or plastidips (pricey).

I still remember the scrambler/DRZ hype and crazed back in 2012 with many fb photos and video post from the riders. I was still riding underbone cub bike back then.  Those riders have longed sold their DRZ since, I guess I missed the DRZ party haha. But I am very much enjoy riding it at the moment :) 

And yes we are late in this game hahah but better late than never! 🍻

10 hours ago, roy69 said:

So sayang man hahah I’m looking for hot cams 2 upgrade if you don’t mind selling them separately, let me know (testing) hahaha

want to sell also troublesome, i did not take back my stock cams. Plus its not plug and play need take out valve cover. just buy new at raptor, valve clearance included in the price hahah

On 3/3/2021 at 12:02 PM, flfreaks said:

I just got the bike a few months ago when the forks were already in that condition. Thanks for the tips guy. I guess the previous owner left the motorcycle exposed without bike canvas under the sun and rain at the open space carpark for many years. Now after researching I am consider to either cover it with vinyl wrap (cheapest) or plastidips (pricey).

I still remember the scrambler/DRZ hype and crazed back in 2012 with many fb photos and video post from the riders. I was still riding underbone cub bike back then.  Those riders have longed sold their DRZ since, I guess I missed the DRZ party haha. But I am very much enjoy riding it at the moment :) 

I just got this. Fits the lower front fork snuggly. You may get another pair and cut to fit the upper fork.

SG$ 13.91  9% Off | Front Fork Protector Shock Absorber Guard Wrap Cover Skin For Motorcycle Motocross Pit Dirt Bike YZF250 CRF250 CRF450 Universal
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrjlWtl

E97BDEFB-AD69-44F9-B385-EE76ACF61BF4.jpeg

On 3/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, roy69 said:

I just got this. Fits the lower front fork snuggly. You may get another pair and cut to fit the upper fork.

SG$ 13.91  9% Off | Front Fork Protector Shock Absorber Guard Wrap Cover Skin For Motorcycle Motocross Pit Dirt Bike YZF250 CRF250 CRF450 Universal
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrjlWtl

E97BDEFB-AD69-44F9-B385-EE76ACF61BF4.jpeg

looks good.. but will it scratch or damage anything?

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

6 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

looks good.. but will it scratch or damage anything?

I don’t think so since it’s a fork protector? Haha

• Like 1

Not sure about signal but im using DRC tail light which is LED and pass inspection. If you change LED you need a relay because if flashing too fast i think will fail inspection. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/19/2021 at 5:35 PM, exygon said:

Not sure about signal but im using DRC tail light which is LED and pass inspection. If you change LED you need a relay because if flashing too fast i think will fail inspection. 

Yes just did some reading on it. Managed to source out the relay but still don’t know if changing to LED signal lights is ok for inspection. Just want to double confirm. Yeah my previous bike DR125SM had a LED tail light, passed also.

Trying not to have unnecessary stress haha 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, flfreaks said:

Hi guys, first time owner DRZ 400 here. My upper fork is oxidized, I am thinking about coating it. Usually how many days the workshop can coat it and the price range? And can i retain the original gold color when coating it. One of the workshop quoted me at least 1 week due it need 5 days of air curing and price is up to $180 for both sides. And retain original gold shine color is not possible as cerakote color is matte. And he didnt recommend wrapping  because it will make oxidized worsen if the wrap is peeled off. If you have any advise and recommended workshop please let me know too, thanks.

20210224_150614.jpg

20210224_150604.jpg

Hi guy!

It's me again. Thanks for those who give some suggestions including guard wrap from Aliexpress.

Apparently I have sent my bike to The Carpainter workshop at Pioneer Point to get my fork plastidip for $120. I chose the bright gold, to get almost same original fork colour as it can get. They have plenty other colours as photo attached. Not bad l, i am happy with result.

Only thing i dont like is the fork feel abit sticky now and i need to wipe it using wet microfiber cloth when cleaning it. A bit tedious when i want to wash bike from now on.

So here is what plastidips is:

▪️Preparation before coating: Pre-Dip spray will be used for to cleaning parts before dipping

▪️Number of coats:  At least 6 or 7  layers of plastidip for best durability

▪️Aftercare: Once the dipping is done, Dipcoat will be applied to seal the dip for protection.

Anyway is it okay if i use the regular 92 (Esso) petrol for DRZ? Will it affect the bike performance in long term?

IMG_20210331_001035_594.jpg

received_343137730349714.jpeg

Edited by flfreaks
Add few more info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flfreaks said:

Hi guy!

It's me again. Thanks for those who give some suggestions including guard wrap from Aliexpress.

Apparently I have sent my bike to The Carpainter workshop at Pioneer Point to get my fork plastidip for $120. I chose the bright gold, to get almost same original fork colour as it can get. They have plenty other colours as photo attached. Not bad l, i am happy with result.

Only thing i dont like is the fork feel abit sticky now and i need to wipe it using wet microfiber cloth when cleaning it. A bit tedious when i want to wash bike from now on.

So here is what plastidips is:

▪️Preparation before coating: Pre-Dip spray will be used for to cleaning parts before dipping

▪️Number of coats:  At least 6 or 7  layers of plastidip for best durability

▪️Aftercare: Once the dipping is done, Dipcoat will be applied to seal the dip for protection.

Anyway is it okay if i use the regular 92 (Esso) petrol for DRZ? Will it affect the bike performance in long term?

IMG_20210331_001035_594.jpg

received_343137730349714.jpeg

Good info thanks for sharing! Yes looks good just like the original colour too. Strange tho that it would feel sticky. Didn’t thought it would be 

Regarding the fuel, yes you can use 92 but normally people would use 95 though based on the earlier ancient posts from this thread haha

Edited by roy69
Update
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 3/19/2021 at 5:35 PM, exygon said:

@exygon Am surprised! According to LTA, any *aftermarket* LED or installed after production lights are not approved.

Must have caught the inspection centre officer on a good day!

• Haha 1

Just sharing.

I get my OEM stuff here if Chong Aik/your workshops doesn't have them

https://www.webike.sg/

I would use partzilla for reference number but you must remove the “-“ before searching at webike

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2008/dr-z400sm

02646260-6958-4c11-8da9-b03d6bd52b82_thumbnail

• Administrators
On 4/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, roy69 said:

Just sharing.

I would use partzilla for reference number but you must remove the “-“ before searching at webike

@roy69 I've always wondered for webike.sg, do they have a warehouse or ship from Singapore? Or is it just a local site for the global site webike.jp but everything still comes out of Japan?

Have you noticed shorter shipping times from webike.sg?

9 hours ago, SBF said:

@roy69 I've always wondered for webike.sg, do they have a warehouse or ship from Singapore? Or is it just a local site for the global site webike.jp but everything still comes out of Japan?

Have you noticed shorter shipping times from webike.sg?

Definitely ship from Japan. Ordered 3 times from them. The less bulkier orders which were delivered by air will have a tracking number from Japan post.

Sea delivery would take about 40 days. Tried before once for just 1 iridium spark plug last time hahahahah 

Yup shorter shipping time compared to ordering stuffs from US. Haven’t order from other Japan sites so I can’t compare on that.

Shipping cost is still relatively on a higher side so in order to make my shipping charges worth it, got to order a few items at one go. Site is definitely poison with accessories haha

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 1:29 PM, exygon said:

Hi all, any workshop to recommand for full overhaul? I just bought a 2008 drz400sm, i will be renewing coe next month. Planing to ride it for a while.

Did you managed to do full overhaul? If yes how much is it? I found f**king metal shavings during my EO change TWICE...

954029A1-A9D4-41C0-AAB4-359EF5E0BFC6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 4/18/2021 at 2:45 PM, roy69 said:

Did you managed to do full overhaul? If yes how much is it? I found f**king metal shavings during my EO change TWICE...

@roy69 Ouch. Have you opened up the engine to check? Tolerances are probably off already. Might need to look at a major overhaul soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 2:45 PM, roy69 said:

I still have not done yet. So far i have ridden about 10k km, and i also can see some metal shaving like yours. Are you using paper filter or stainless steel? 

8 hours ago, exygon said:

I still have not done yet. So far i have ridden about 10k km, and i also can see some metal shaving like yours. Are you using paper filter or stainless steel? 

Stainless steel. For all 10km, every oil change you have this amount of metal shavings? 😨

I don’t know if it’s normal but after 90km/h, bike starts to vibrate vigorously. Quite worrying/got paranoid after finding out the possibilities of having metal shavings of that amount during oil change.

Was advised by many including Raptor, bearings gave way already but no one knows which. One guy told me if it’s gold coloured shavings = crankshaft rod bearings and this is still relatively ok for the time being. Either way I’m still f*cked la cos it’s like a time bomb hah 🥵

1 hour ago, roy69 said:

Stainless steel. For all 10km, every oil change you have this amount of metal shavings? 😨

I don’t know if it’s normal but after 90km/h, bike starts to vibrate vigorously. Quite worrying/got paranoid after finding out the possibilities of having metal shavings of that amount during oil change.

Was advised by many including Raptor, bearings gave way already but no one knows which. One guy told me if it’s gold coloured shavings = crankshaft rod bearings and this is still relatively ok for the time being. Either way I’m still f*cked la cos it’s like a time bomb hah 🥵

if you are free, go down planet @ubi and ask for quote lor.. Pricing usually reasonable but long wait time.. 

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

• 3 months later...

looking to buy DRZ stock items (headlight, headlight mount, signal light bracket etc) any workshop can intro? just bought a drz wan to restore to stock condition

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/evilben_85/evil.jpg

Piaggio Typhoon 125 - FW596E

Yamaha X1-S - FY5414D

Gilera Runner VXR 200 - FBB4445P

XR400 - FP5404E

DRZ400SM - FBB9987J

8 hours ago, evilboi said:

looking to buy DRZ stock items (headlight, headlight mount, signal light bracket etc) any workshop can intro? just bought a drz wan to restore to stock condition

I believe the common reply you would get is to check with Raptor Motorsports or Lightning Bikes. You could also camp on carousell. Sometimes they would appear when you least expected. Like few months back when people start selling the rare integrated headlight cowl fender (price got ridiculous though). Anyways good luck!

1 hour ago, roy69 said:

I believe the common reply you would get is to check with Raptor Motorsports or Lightning Bikes. You could also camp on carousell. Sometimes they would appear when you least expected. Like few months back when people start selling the rare integrated headlight cowl fender (price got ridiculous though). Anyways good luck!

so raptor and lightning is the most recommended shop to go? price and worksmanship is good?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/evilben_85/evil.jpg

Piaggio Typhoon 125 - FW596E

Yamaha X1-S - FY5414D

Gilera Runner VXR 200 - FBB4445P

XR400 - FP5404E

DRZ400SM - FBB9987J

3 hours ago, evilboi said:

so raptor and lightning is the most recommended shop to go? price and worksmanship is good?

Yes that’s right. DRZ is their speciality. Price wise I believe they are relatively ok if you want to compare oil change prices with other shops. But with them, you’ll get advice, tips and tricks specifically for DRZ. Also no doubt, they would have parts and accessories for DRZ. Give them a call first. Latest I heard for Raptor, you’d need to make an appointment first before heading to the shop.

Lightning Bike/Chong - 9431 8235 (no FB)

Raptor Motorsports/Angelo - https://www.facebook.com/raptormotorsports/

On 8/9/2021 at 12:03 AM, evilboi said:

You may follow this great tip from roy69 quoted below. Go to partzilla (https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2008/dr-z400sm), find the serial numbers of the items you want to replace, and then search the serials on webike.sg.

Then compare the price and the workshops quote you.

For example, the carbon brush (serial number 3113213E00 or 31132-13E00) that I just changed at Lightning recently cost me $115 including labor charge. If I buy from webike it would just cost me S31.77 + $12.29 shipping = $44.06. If I buy from webike and then just go to the nearest workshop from my home and ask them to help me install I would still save some around $20 even if they charge $50 labor fees.

But of course the pros of going straight to Raptor or Lightning workshop to help you replace the parts is that during the bike teardown, they will detect and other faulty parts that should be replaced.

I learned a lot of DRZ parts and still learning from Partzilla. Really useful if you want to use the bike for long term.

On 4/8/2021 at 4:56 PM, roy69 said:

Just sharing.

• Thanks 1