• Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website such as:

• Forums
    • Blogs
    • Picture/Video Gallery
    • Motorcycle Clubs
    • Event Calendar
    • and many more!

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Hello fellow DIY-ers,

Does anyone know of a shop to buy a reasonably good micrometer? Looking for something reasonably accurate (Japanese, US or European brand preferred, but will consider high quality Taiwanese too) and not too expensive.

Looking at getting one that can measure 1 - 3 inches hopefully.

Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure where to find it but if you can settle for Vernier calipers, can be found at Sim Lim Tower basement. For normal Vernier calipers, it's about $12. For the electronic one, it's double or more...

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png
Ah, thanks Phang. That's very helpful, I'll go have a look.

gohjohan, I have a pair of vernier calipers, but the shims for my bike go in increments of 0.025 so I don't think the VC can measure it. But thanks for the recommendation.

Your starting thread say you are looking for a"micrometer" that can measure " 1 - 3 inches" . Shims comes in a small fraction of an inch, micrometers measures usually measure up to an inch or 25mm. That said, you can get micrometers (digital preferred) at Homely hardware at 1 Ubi Crescent.

Just an update for anyone who might be interested. I called Homely and only the Ubi branch carried them. I think it was $25, and it's made in China. So I went down to the place that Phang recommended, and took a look. They recommended me a simple Mitutoyo micrometer, and I got a shock when I heard the price. Only $45, after GST about $48. That's really cheap for a Mitutoyo so I grabbed it. Very happy with the purchase.

Just an update for anyone who might be interested. I called Homely and only the Ubi branch carried them. I think it was $25, and it's made in China. So I went down to the place that Phang recommended, and took a look. They recommended me a simple Mitutoyo micrometer, and I got a shock when I heard the price. Only $45, after GST about $48. That's really cheap for a Mitutoyo so I grabbed it. Very happy with the purchase.

I should do that 'cos by next week, I'll get my pay. Thanks for the recommendation too, Phang

My pleasure :cheeky:

I have a Mitutoyo 25mm micrometer which I bought 12 years ago but misplaced at some where in the house.

I know I can find it if I comb every inch of the house but that’s a major task that could probably take months.

Should I spend $48 to get a new one? o_O

Why if the old micrometer reappears again the next day after I bought a new one? o_O

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/Phang/3-2.jpg

I have a Mitutoyo 25mm micrometer which I bought 12 years ago but misplaced at some where in the house.

I know I can find it if I comb every inch of the house but that’s a major task that could probably take months.

Why if the old micrometer reappears again the next day after I bought a new one? o_O

Garage sale the new one?

haha..you're not the only one with this problem. I also have multiple sets of many things because of my messiness....