SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

<Trip Report> Rode to Northern Thailand Mae Hong Son on December 2023

adesmond2

Here's the trip report!

(Weekly updates on Videos) Follow me here or in YouTube.. :) 

29 Nov 2023 - Day 1 - Singapore to Hatyai 

3.30am - Move off to Woodland "waiting area" for motorcycles (supposed to move off earlier but luggage loading and too much things need to "leave behind" at home)

3.45am - Reached Woodland check point (3 bikes)

4am - Reach Senai Petronas for 1st Fuel pump (4 bikes) (Someone stomachache) 😂

5.30am - Reach Pagoh Shell R&R for 2nd fuel pump.

7.30am - Reach Dengkil R&R for our breakfast & Fuel

10am - One bike overheat and we thought engine oil leakage, thus 2 bikes went to buy engine oil and top up.. (found out at a service centre, total 8L of engine oil inside the gearbox) 😂 That means, overheat is the only reason why the bike suddenly "stops"...

11.30am - Tapah R&R refuel

1.30pm - Reach Semanggol R&R

4pm - Reach Changchun Caltex 

4.15pm - Bukit Kayu Hitam - Insurance and light snacks

5.05pm - Sadao Border - remember to go through 2 custom.. 1 for passport, 1 for motorcycle.

6pm - Golden Crown Hotel (might have 1 hour differences due to time zone changed) - No hot water as under going maintenance.. 

6.30pm - Lee Garden Night market

Youtube videos for your enjoyment.

30 Nov 2023 - Day 2 - Hatyai to Chumphon

7am - woke up to dizzling rain (2 bikes moving forward from here)

7.30am - Breakfast at 7-11

9am - Move off but delayed till 10am as tire leakage (checked for nails but can't find any) - pump air till 30 PSI and continue our way upwards.

10.20am - Reach Thailand number plate sticker maker

12.15pm - Reach Somewhere at Tamot for our first petrol stop (Check bike for any loose screws and etc)

1.15pm - Reach Route 41 Phatthalung for Lunch and souvenirs  (encountered our first ponding "half wheels" along the way)

3.45pm - Reach Wiang Sa for another petrol stop.

6.06pm - Amphoe Lang Suan for petrol stop

- we lost our way as GPS seems to be giving another direction to another place- Stop at a random 7-11 and recollect ourselves.

7.40pm - Went to Chumphon Tesco Lotus to find Mr Diy for Chain lube as my chain really seems to be going to break anytime.. 😂

8.30pm - Reach @night hotel at Chumphon

10pm - Went night market for our dinner.

Video for your enjoyment…

1 Dec 2023 - Day 3 - Chumphon to Bang Yai (Near Bangkok)

8.15am - As usual - Breakfast at 7-11.. 😂

9am - Attempted to load bike and move off but heavy downpour.

9.30am - Rain become dizzling but one bike tire is flat again. 

10am - Move off

10.15am - Both bikes almost kanna hit by a van beating red light. (No footage as we are too tired to retrieve from our onboard cameras)

10.20am - Stop at petrol station nearby "Tha Sae" for refuel and pump more air. (Kanna dog chase me 😂)

10.40am - Went to a tire shop to check tires but they dun do motorcycles and redirect us to another motorcycle shop and even lead us there! (Facebook - Stepupchumphon - this is the place we went to check for leaks and found a SMALL nail less then 2mm) They did up nicely and even wash the rim and chain lube for the bike that need to patch up.. Oh yea.. they did a internal patch.. Costing about S$15.. Which is super worthy.. 

4pm - Pak Tho- Wang Manao - Macdonald for Lunch (Did some petrol stop but didn't take photos/video as too tiring) - Saw some Singapore cars but they doesn't seems to "see" us.. 

5pm - Accident with a local car

(Long story cut short) refused to accept any monetary form and wanted insurance to come. Waited for about 2 hours until 7pm before everything is resolved. 

Compulsory insurance in Thailand doesn't cover accidents, only death, so you need to either fork out cash or transfer or police case. (Remember to buy additional insurance for any accident at Thailand Border)

We are quoted for 13k baht for a bumper damage, we managed to cut to 8k baht. Claimed that cannot be repair, has to be replaced. (Minor dents)

7pm - Continue to move off towards Bang Yai

Attempted to find hotels on the move is really a bad move.. Bang Yai doesn't have any available hotels anywhere. Every hotel on google map is fully booked.

Managed to found one Rita Homeplace but it's already night time and the person who pick up the phone doesn't speak English.

Ride + Walk around and attempt to find another hotel failed, rode back to Rita Homeplace and walk around the place and managed to find a Thai who can speak simple English to help to liaise with the homeplace person and booked 2 room for the night.

10pm - Checked in Rita Homeplace and Dinner at 7-11 nearby.

Video for your enjoyment…

2 Dec 2023 - Day 4 - Bang Yai (Near Bangkok) to Phitsanulok

8.30am - Woke up (didn't sleep well)

9am - Breakfast at 7-11 again 

10.45am - Bike loaded up

11am - Tighten chain at workshop next to Rita Homeplace 40-50 baht (Can't recall)

11.30am - Central Westgate to buy some stuff for my wife

1.30pm - Ayutthaya (Last min decision to go here since it's along the way)

2pm - Lunch at Jet & Cookrat (a place we went before more then 10 years ago)

2.30pm - Move off

3.50pm - In Buri - Namtan (Petrol stop)

- Have some petrol stops but as usual, too tired already.. 😂

5pm - Some random petrol stops and rest - Thinking if we should change our destination to Nakhon Sawan. Decided to push on to Phitsanulok instead.

8pm - Check in Lithai Hotel (Cheapest hotel we encountered 380 baht) but... no lifts + corridor abit Singapore Army camp style..  (so you know I know la) LOL...

8.50pm - Phitsanulok night market for dinner.

3 Dec 2023 - Day 5 - Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai

(Last minute decision to skip Chiang Rai as we felt exhausted)

8am - Woke up

8.30am - breakfast served in Lithai Hotel (fried rice)

9.30am - Move off

11.30am - Petrol stop and "meet up" (hi-jack) with some Thai bikers from Bangkok near Muang Uttaradit - Pa Sao

1.30pm - Stop at a Thai coffee place (Google map called Toob Ka Tang) Very nice scenery location among the mountains.. but.. lose to what comes after Chiang Mai.. haha..

3.35pm - Muang Lamphun - Pa Sak - Refuel

5.15pm - Check in CM Night Boutique Hotel (Lift having issue on Day 1, (need to walk up 1 time, down 1 time) we stay at the highest 4th floor)

5.30pm - Wash Jacket and bring all our clothing to a place where they will wash for you. ($$ count by KG) 24 hours later ready.

6.20pm - Realised I didn't bring my helmet up to my room and left it at another bike, rushed down and felt relief to found it still there.. haha.. 

6.30pm - Walk around Chiang Mai Night Bazaar 

4 Dec 2023 Day 6 - Stay at Chiang Mai

10am - Rode out to Khao Soy Maesai (Famous noodle shop in Chiang Mai) for breakfast (30min waiting time)

11.45am - Went to Yamaha Chiangmai Club for Change of Engine oil and oil filter (2 types of Yamalube (engine oil) to choose from)

Waiting time about 3 hours

Total 2356 baht

Premium Engine oil *3 bottles because need 2.2 Litre - 670 baht*3 = 2010

Oil Filter - 231 baht

Gasket - 15 baht

Labour cost - 100 baht

12.15pm - Took a taxi to Silver temple (Prayers and blessing and etc)

1.30pm - Collected bike and rode to Rider's Corner (A very famous place many years ago)

1.50pm - Arrived at Rider's Corner and had our lunch here. (Brought a chain lube at a nearby workshop as well)

3pm - Rode to Neng Earthen Jar Roast Pork (A must to try for Chinese friends) 

4.30pm - We separately Rode out to different places

I rode back Rider's corner to paste my sticker as I forgotten to bring out as I've left it at the hotel

4.50pm - I rode to Chiang Mai Airport area - to find Mr Diy to see if there's anything I need. Brought several stuff, even a wax tube for my motorcycle.. 😂

6pm - Rode back hotel and nothing to do already. 

7.30pm - Rode to find my brother and wash bike at Klean Car Wash (DIY) 1 baht for 1 min of either Shampoo/Water/blower. We used less then 25 baht for each bike.. 

8.40pm - Rode to Chiang Mai university night market and had our dinner there + supper back hotel.

10pm - Rode back hotel and rest for next day.

5 Dec 2023 Day 7 - Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son (Through Doi Inthanon)

Today's Journey is super shag, We went through Route 108 - Route 1009 - Route 1192- Route 1088 - Route 1263 - Route 108. (Not recommended as the slopes are steep 45-50 degree upwards or downwards) and there's definitely more then 1000 corners along this stretch of road.. 😂

Best to follow route 108 all the way to Mae Hong Son.

9am - Move off from Chiang Mai (Skip breakfast)

11am - Reach Chom Thong - Khuang Pao for refuel

11.40am - Brought Tickets for entrance of Doi Ithanon

12pm - Reach Wachirathan Waterfall - Fall in love with the waterfall here and overspend our time here.

1.30pm - Reached (View point KM.41) on google maps

1.45pm - Reached the highest spot in Thailand for vehicles.

1.55pm - Reached the highest spot in Thailand for Human (25653341 meters above sea level)

2.30pm - Went back to (View Point KM.41) for our "breakfast"..

5pm - Saw a "local" View point (จุดพักรถและจุดชมวิว) Mae Chaem- Mae Suek *No official petrol station along this stretch of road.

Night falls too quickly (mountainous area) and the turns are way too dangerous to continue the trip. (Supposed to go until Piya Guesthouse) another 66km.. 

Decided to head to the nearest hotel - Banpataraphan Khunyuam

6.50pm - Arrived at Banpataraphan Khunyuam (There's already 0 light in the sky by this timing)

Glad that there's some guest there that speaks English and Thai, otherwise might have issues checking in again.. 😂

7.30pm - Went to nearby 7-11 for our Dinner again.. 

8.30pm - knock out

6 Dec 2023 Day 8 - Mae Hong Son to Pai

9.15am - Move off from guesthouse

10.30am - Reached Pha Bong View point

11.30am - Reached my long awaited place Chamber of Commerce Mae Hong Son to get certified to completed 1864 corners (but I'm sure I've been through alot more) 😂

12.22pm - 1864 Landmark just to leave my sticker - Didn't notice the shop inside even through there's quite a few cars and bikers there..

1.10pm - Reached Pang Mapha Viewpoint

1.45pm - Reach Ban Jabo (50-60 degrees downwards- 2nd gear your bike will also scream until 40-50km/h, drop to first gear + brake)

3.22pm - Reach Doi Kiew Lom Viewpoint

4.30pm - Reach Pai Kiang Fa Resort

Place is too nice to even leave your room..

6pm - Head to Pai walk street (Night market)

9pm - Head back resort

9.30pm - Fireplace with the owner and chit chat.

10.30pm - Star Grazing

12am - Knock out unwillingly... 

Video coming soon...

7 Dec 2023 Day 9 - Pai to Chiang Mai (Up train towards Bangkok)

Woke up at 6am to see sunrise but the mist/fog is too strong (We waited at the highest building till 7.30am but the sky is already bright)

8.15am - Load up bike prepare to head out

11am - Reach Chiang Mai train station

No sleeper class, asked to wait and see.

12pm - Notify us got tickets, booked for us and bike is parked at "parcels office".

Motorcycle box and bike is shipped to Bangkok separately. Box is count separately, I've heard soft panniers is allowed, never try since I dun have soft panniers/box.

Bike is packaged by CC and weight, 

Most 2B will cost you 500 to 900 baht

2A - 600 to 1100 baht

Class 2 - 800 to 1400 baht

These pricing are not fixed but to be on the safe side, prepare 2.5k baht and you will have more then enough.

12.15pm - Checked in our tail bags and jackets at the "holding" area. (remember to take before boarding the train)

12.30pm - 7-11 for breakfast again.. 😂

2pm - Head back as parcel need keys to "move" your bike to cargo area

2.15pm - See your bike load up cargo section - can give additional tips if you like, already paid but can pay more 20-50 baht (coffee money) Give everyone safer.. you wun know who will help your bike eventually.. 

2.30pm - Went to Coffee de train cafe and have our lunch.. 

3.30pm - Went to 7-11 again and buy some snacks just in case we got hungry in train.

4.30pm - Board the train and start looking for our seats.

5pm - Our motorcycles are already on the way to Bangkok while we still waiting for the train to move off.

6.40pm - Our dinner is served.

7.05pm - Converting our train seats to beds.

12am - knock out

Video coming soon...

8 Dec 2023 Day 10 - Bangkok to Hatyai

(Down and Up train towards Hatyai)

6am - Awake

6.30am - Reach Bangkok Station

7am - Toilet and Searching for information on where is our bikes. (The place is extremely huge) 1 end to another end can take about 10 min of walk. We are given 3 different information, so we had to search from the nearest to the furthest. Turn out the furthest is the correct way. (You need to take a taxi to that location as walking will take about 30min (without additional baggage))

7.30am - Asked several taxis but got rejected as they claimed it's near.. 

8am - Book a taxi and that guy got no choice but to send us there.

8.15am - we finally saw our bikes (just unloaded)

8.30am - Started the process of sending our bike to Hatyai and packed additional parcel (our jacket and tail bag). Keeping only one backpack for the train ride. packed one side the clothes we needed for bathing.

9.15am - Rode our bike to Bang Sue Junction helmet-less.. Our helmet are with our boxes which is "already" at bang sue junction. 

9.30am - Brought our train tickets (3rd Class - worse decision ever) 

10am - Had our breakfast and lunch at the station.

12.30pm - Bath

1pm - boarded the train

From the moment we boarded the train, it's still ok.. just hot as no aircon.. (a mini fan is 2 seats (about 1m-1.5m) away from us)

The train windows is all open.. so bugs and flies and any insects you can imagine.. all will fly in.. Since the windows is open.. the train wheels on the track is extremely loud..

The train doors are also opened by default.. it isn't close.. so if you fall off from the train.. it's really sayonara..

Smokers will smoke near the toilet and there's no doors to close.. if smoker close the door, people will start to scold them as it's hot..

Toilet and washing basin is just infront of us.. That's even worse..

There's no leg room.. anyone sitting infront of you, you need to give space, or should I say, alternate placing of legs..

In the end, we only managed to sleep at 4am when the passengers infront departed the train. But again.. I can only call that as a nap of 1-2 hours rather then sleep.. 😂

4am - Knock out

Video coming soon...

9 Dec 2023 Day 11 - Hatyai to iPoh

6.30am - Reach Hatyai Train station

7am - Bath and feel refreshing thinking we can make it to Genting.. haha..

7.10am - Saw our bike Oppsite the train tracks.. Nice.. Dun need to go and search.. Box and parcel came shortly after 10-15min.

7.45am - Bike fully loaded and we changed to riding gears and move off..

9am - Reach Sadao 4

9.30am - 7-11 for breakfast again.. 

After crossing to Malaysia, we had several stops which we can't recall, Changlun one stop, somewhere we stop at a 7-11 instead.. and whenever we saw an R&R, just go in and stop for a water parade.. haha.. 

1.07pm - Felt sleepy after we hit the expressway.. Knock out several times.. stop and check if we should change our plans..

3.37pm - Push on and reach Semanggol - Lunch at KFC while we search for iPoh Hotels. (All hotels booked!) 

5pm - Reach iPoh and asked at least 5 hotels with them stating, fully booked.. 

6pm - Found one (Times Inn Hotel).. RM100.. 

7pm - Settled in and walk around the area, went to 7-11 AGAIN.. to buy water.. haha..

8pm - Settled with a Ramen restaurant .

10pm - received an email stating that my drone application for thailand usage has been approved.. (Wa lau, already left Thailand then you approve)

11pm - Knock out cold

Video coming soon...

10 Dec 2023 Day 12 - iPoh to Singapore

8am woke up, start to pack abit as I've thrown a lot of unwanted packages away.. to reduced storage.

9am - Went to a coffeeshop for breakfast (truly best - maybe Singapore food taste similar to Malaysia) haha.. 

10.30am - Move off

12pm - Reach Tapah R&R

2.30pm - Dengkil R&R

5pm - Pagoh R&R

7pm - Shell station at Jalan Pasir Pelangi, Taman Iskandar, 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

8pm - Home sweet Home.. 

Video coming soon...

(Previous Post on gathering riders)

Date: 29 Nov to 11 December 2023

Best case scenario. (Locations and dates are not finalised, just estimate)

Day 1 - SG -> Hatyai

Day 2 --> Chumpon

Day 3 --> Near BKK

Day 4 --> Near Phitsanulok

Day 5--> Chiang Rai

Day 6 --> Chiang Mai

Day 7 > MHS 

Day 8 -> Pai

Day 9 -Chiang Mai Train Station -> BKK Train Station  (Will extend one more day if no sleeper class train)

Day 10 - BKK Train Station -> Hatyai Train Station (Will extend one more day if no sleeper class train)

Day 11 --> Betong

Day 12 --> KL

Day 13 --> SG

Estimated speed: (To maintain/not top speed)

110km - 120km (digital speed) (at MY) 

90km - 100km (digital speed) (at TH)

Speed limit will all based on road/traffic conditions.

All interests is subject to my discretion, I'll advise more as the date approaches.  (seen too many incidents, accidents happened to me as people dun listen to instructions, as you age, you see things differently). I'm very chin chye (anything) one.. but please do understand that basic courtesy and respect is required. 

A group is fun when you reach your destination. but while riding, if a person doesn't know how to ride safety in group settings = dangerous. (this will jeopardise the entire trip and that's what happen to me)

If your group wan to tag along or just meet up for dinner at certain location along the way..Just drop me a pm or leave down comments below.. 

-2A and above is welcome to join. (CL2 can ride all the way to R&R and wait for the rest).

*Please remember the route or know the way or at least know the turns, at the same time, do not ask me to get everyone to ride at your comfort speed as my speed is fixed..

(if you wan to go at 299, we will meet at next destination)

(If you wan to go at 80/90, please leave earlier to "match" our timing)

Do bring a buddy along that can match your speed.. :) 

-Please ensure your bike is in best condition as we don't wish any bike to break down anywhere along NSH. 

-Min knowledge of your bike is required.

-Know all basics troubleshoot of your bike and fix it yourself. (we wun be able to help out to repair bikes as most people will be too shag as we are already riding long distances)

-Do not stop along the roadside no matter what as alot of accidents happened. (I had an accident back - another day story) 

If really need to stop, signal towards the side that you intend to stop.. SLOW DOWN not stop. check mirror.. make sure everyone already signal and slowed down.. then gradually slow down further and stop..

-Stay at left lane unless you see something weird (Cow/accident/oil/trees/huge basket and etc etc) is infront. (do not go in shoulder lane unless both lane jam)

Please rest well and ride defensively as I would not know what you are doing the previous night or control how you ride.

Items to prepared before going Thailand

1) Tyre repair kit (with gas) Tubeless

2) Disc lock (alarm preferred) bring the allen keys for disc lock.

3) any spare parts that you think you might need, and bring your motorcycle to your trusted workshop at least 2 weeks beforehand and 1 day beforehand.

4) Rain coat / rain shoes

5) Clothing to last you at least 12 days/personal hygiene (this varies if you wan to break off half way) (We will wash clothes along the way & buy new clothes) So we are taking a lot lesser then 12 clothings. 😂 (Will share more details with those who are coming)

(Thai bahts / RM(Must) - I'll advise more if you are following us throughout the trip.. if not, please plan your own budget.. we can meet up half way and break off upon reaching your preferred hotel and meet up again.. this is all about adventure, isn't it? ;) 

6) Insurance covered in Malaysia and Thailand for entire 12 days. (Update us emergency number and we will call if anything happen)

7) Wind-proof lighter for smokers to light their ciga while riding.. LOL..

😎 Chain lube and pad lock if you need additional locks

9) Your own baggage/luggage.

10) Please make sure, your bike is in a condition about to go for the trip, check with mechanic, change your standard stuff like chain/tires (if going to be overdue or etc) We will change EO along the way, half way to be precise.. If your bike is not Yamaha or Honda, then you need to search for your own workshop. Or update me I'll try to see anything on the same day we going for servicing.. :) 

11) A credit card for any emergency usages/repairs and etc

12) one more thing, please make sure your mirror is workable.. (able to see rear rider) if not, change to a mirror that you can see the rear. 😅

Last but not least, please ensure you are wearing full covered shoes/ Jeans / full face helmet / amour jacket. (a must)

*Singapore and NSH road condition is TOTALLY diff..

We will have at least 1 meet up on the way how it should be ride and etc. Will update those who are coming. 

For those who have problem seeing at night/wear contact lens, please wear your spec while riding.

Preferred: Can travel at least 250km without refueling. (can skip every 1 alternate petrol kiosk and save time) (In case petrol station down or renovation as well) (if not, we will discuss again)

Important

If anything happen I will only call tow for you and you have to pay for all charges

**Please change RM in advance if possible**

Total distance for this trip about 6000+++ KM (We will do a servicing at Thailand for EO change at the shops there)

Total damage to pocket about 2.2-2.6k Since this trip will takes about 13-15 days.. + 2 train ride for you and the bikes.. (Train rides for bike pricing may varies (estimated S$200 per train ride))

***Bring a CC just in case.. 

Interested? Put your details as per follow, (only left 4 slots - unless you are a group already) as it will be a long ride, I dun wish to gather too many riders.

If you are inactive here, pm me your contact number, will WhatsApp you on a nearer date.. 

Name / Current bike / Years of bike experience / Been to any official group ride before? / understand hand sign for bikes? (Basic or full)

1-  

(Cap at 6 riders)

Important! A must for these 

1) Passport (more then 6 months validity)

2) log card of your vehicle (download from one motoring)

3) Cash and credit card (for the entire trip or the days you intended to travel) CC is for back up purposes.

4) Tire repair kit (I’ll bring air pump, u can bring yours just in case and those going to split up half way) those with tube.. really will be towed only..

5) a mobile phone that can be mount on your bike safely and has internet.. or download google map (offline map) will provide more assistance on our meet up if u dunno how.

6) Buy your own travel insurance and policy number and number to call in just in case.

Best to have

1) International Driving License (AAS) 

We will meet up on 18 Sept to have a discussion and a short ride in Singapore.. 

Another group (Hatyai only)

Total of 3 person will be heading to Hatyai only..  + 2 Pending

• Like 1

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

good to be planning ahead

just my 2 cents

1) may/june/july isn't the best weather in north thai but i guess have to fit work/leave schedule. Anyway you're only spending a few days up there. 

2) seems quite rush, no? 

i've done the MHS loop a few times (car, scooter, bike) and each time i do it over 4-7 days. And each visit is a different experience. 

24 minutes ago, shiba2b said:

good to be planning ahead

just my 2 cents

1) may/june/july isn't the best weather in north thai but i guess have to fit work/leave schedule. Anyway you're only spending a few days up there. 

2) seems quite rush, no? 

i've done the MHS loop a few times (car, scooter, bike) and each time i do it over 4-7 days. And each visit is a different experience. 

1) weather should be warm? I choose that period cuz warm is better then rain every now and then.. I ride before on both periods.. rain = can cause floods.. warm= dehydration (just drink more water will be alright)

2) ya.. abit rushing due to the limited time/leaves.. like this already at least 11 days.. (with train services Somemore.. no train services = 14-15 days) and we haven’t include any “delays?” Then the days will get extended as we observe the situation.. 

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

23 minutes ago, adesmond2 said:

1) weather should be warm? I choose that period cuz warm is better then rain every now and then.. I ride before on both periods.. rain = can cause floods.. warm= dehydration (just drink more water will be alright)

2) ya.. abit rushing due to the limited time/leaves.. like this already at least 11 days.. (with train services Somemore.. no train services = 14-15 days) and we haven’t include any “delays?” Then the days will get extended as we observe the situation.. 

i've always gone up there in winter (Nov-Jan). Night and morning kena hypothermia, afternoon heatstroke 🤣

but malaysia and south thai will be raining during those months. 

this trip schedule sounds like meant for those that just want to go riding with convoy and "been there, done that" and squeeze into 11 days.

for those that want to maximize their exploration of the north in a short time, i would suggest flying to CM and renting big bikes to go around. Just last month, i was riding from Pai to MSH and met a bunch of SG bikers along the way. They are all super experienced bikers (rode all around indo china) but this time due to CNY schedule, they were limited to just 12 days. They flew up to CM and rented bikes to ride around the region. Chiang Mai, MHS, Chiang Rai. 10 days rental i think. This way, they focused their time on riding around the north region, albeit not on their bikes. 

but of course, doing it on own bike is a different feeling.

for me, i wouldn't drive/ride up unless i can spare at least 3 weeks. My trips up there usually 4-5wks. I think my most rushed trip was KL-Kui buri-alpaca hill (ratchaburi)-KL in 5 days. But that time i was also testing some new parts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shiba2b said:

i've always gone up there in winter (Nov-Jan). Night and morning kena hypothermia, afternoon heatstroke 🤣

but malaysia and south thai will be raining during those months. 

this trip schedule sounds like meant for those that just want to go riding with convoy and "been there, done that" and squeeze into 11 days.

for those that want to maximize their exploration of the north in a short time, i would suggest flying to CM and renting big bikes to go around. Just last month, i was riding from Pai to MSH and met a bunch of SG bikers along the way. They are all super experienced bikers (rode all around indo china) but this time due to CNY schedule, they were limited to just 12 days. They flew up to CM and rented bikes to ride around the region. Chiang Mai, MHS, Chiang Rai. 10 days rental i think. This way, they focused their time on riding around the north region, albeit not on their bikes. 

but of course, doing it on own bike is a different feeling.

for me, i wouldn't drive/ride up unless i can spare at least 3 weeks. My trips up there usually 4-5wks. I think my most rushed trip was KL-Kui buri-alpaca hill (ratchaburi)-KL in 5 days. But that time i was also testing some new parts.

Wooo... that period raining ah.. shag... nvm.. adopt accordingly bah.. rain coat is a must so ok la..

agreed.. this trip is more on been there done that.. and only go to "key locations".. if really wan to explore, like what you mentioned, fly and rent lor.. 

originally wanted to train all the way but this become a bit pointless.. might as well fly.. so ride one way, train one way.. :) 

For people who wanted a more relax ride.. like use these days * 2.. then all location can stay additional one more night.. or maybe the few main city +1-2 nights more.. only for people who can truly take leave for long duration or retired.. :) 

Definitely different feeling riding our own SG plate bikes.. haha.. 

FYI.. one of my MOST regretful thing in life is unable to complete my laos trip 12 years ago.. it was my charity ride plan for about 2+ weeks.. I had major bike issues on day 1 (carb dirty/jam) - (wash carb one week beforehand) and accident on day 2 (caused by other group member, mirror cannot see rear).. (I'm a very very careful person) Bike serviced one month & one week in advance.. one day before hand even went for checks. but things happened for a reason.. 

Thus.. this trip is more or less for me to have a closure of that ride.. every now and then, I would think back.. what would happen if I continue to ride upwards despite the accident.. the rest of the folks make it back.. will I be able to do so? thus this trip.. 

• Like 1

• adesmond2 changed the title to <Gathering interest> Ride to Northern Thailand MHS - Speed 110-120km/h Nov- Dec 2023
  • adesmond2 changed the title to <Gathering Riders> Ride to Northern Thailand MHS - Speed 110-120km/h Nov- Dec 2023
On 6/17/2023 at 2:03 PM, CBR_Rider said:

i m keen, do update when u can confirm

bro.. I've pm u.. do reply when available.. :)

16 minutes ago, biting_point said:

I’ll be riding most likely alone. Tentatively to leave SG on 1st Dec and taking train all the way up north then slowly ride backwards.. 

see you guys on the road 

Pm u.. :)

• adesmond2 changed the title to <Gathering Riders> Ride to Northern Thailand MHS - Maintain Speed of 110-120km/h Nov- Dec 2023 (1st group will continue up north) + Hatyai (3 nights minimum - for 2nd group will stay at Hatyai)
  • 3 weeks later...

Latest updates.. the dates is 90% push forward to Nov to Dec of this year.. 

(My leaves is still pending until October then can confirm) so will only be 100% after my leave confirm around that period.. (99% approval rate) 😛 

Do revert in if anyone is keen.

There will be a a few guys who will be heading to Hatyai.. stay for a couple of night before heading back SG (subjected to change).. if anyone wan to go Hatyai only.. can tag along.. but he's riding class 2.. so might not wait if you guys are slower.. 😂 speed coming back also subjective to him.. 

any preferred solo riders can meet up along the way and chill over dinner.. 😛 

Lai lai.. last few days before we going to have our first meet up... 

I'm keen to go for the trip itself, but me being a first timer of riding touring (not counting driving), 1 day SG to hat Yai is definitely kinda impossible for me. I'm looking at staying 1-2 night along NSHW or elsewhere, look see look see enjoy food and scenary along the way, instead of just purely riding and rushing thru the whole journey, touch and go at each rest point, reach destination and U-turn. To each own preference. Wish you bon voyage. I'm still keen to join you if you ever organise a slower ride to Malaysia / Thailand in future

17 minutes ago, laikp1214 said:

I'm keen to go for the trip itself, but me being a first timer of riding touring (not counting driving), 1 day SG to hat Yai is definitely kinda impossible for me. I'm looking at staying 1-2 night along NSHW or elsewhere, look see look see enjoy food and scenary along the way, instead of just purely riding and rushing thru the whole journey, touch and go at each rest point, reach destination and U-turn. To each own preference. Wish you bon voyage. I'm still keen to join you if you ever organise a slower ride to Malaysia / Thailand in future

no worries.. if you are heading up around the same period.. can meet those who are staying at Hatyai.. only some of us is continue upwards.. :) 

actually all is first timer of riding one shot to Hatyai except myself.. 😂

most of them only ride around Malaysia.. 

you can consider to stay over at Penang.. or Genting then head up again.. coming down choose another location and stay over before coming back SG.. :) 

We decided to one shot go Hatyai cuz it's more time saving and since energetic, might as well ya.. 😛   coming back also definitely need to stay somewhere in Malaysia.. 😛 

• 2 weeks later...

Still open if anyone really keen, will not update here anymore.. anything post here and pm me your tel and I'll update here and you via WhatsApp.. :)

100% will have photos and videos once we are back.. 😛

• adesmond2 changed the title to <Trip Report> Rode to Northern Thailand Mae Hong Son on December 2023

videos updated most days.. :)