SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Sheared Rubber Housing on Throttle Cable - Any Adverse Impact?

civicblade

Just noticed that one of the throttle cable (comes in a pair) had the rubber housing sheared, exposing the metallic lining within the outer rubber shell.

This must have been caused by the constant abrasion of the throttle cables again the fairing/headlight stay.

Is there any adverse impact of keeping the throttle cable as it is, with the metallic sleeve exposed?

Are throttle cable replacement a lot of work? Does the fairing and tank needs to go off first?

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its better to change new ones unless u want to rewrap it with some rubber...but its better to change it....throttle cables seldom changed but if not wrong have to take out the tank. Better get a mech to change it and when putting on the new one check it the throttle cable keep sliding against anything else or the problem will arise again.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/WingZer0/Interceptor/TailLight-1.jpg

Just noticed that one of the throttle cable (comes in a pair) had the rubber housing sheared, exposing the metallic lining within the outer rubber shell.

This must have been caused by the constant abrasion of the throttle cables again the fairing/headlight stay.

Is there any adverse impact of keeping the throttle cable as it is, with the metallic sleeve exposed?

Are throttle cable replacement a lot of work? Does the fairing and tank needs to go off first?

Thanks

The external rubber lining protects the internal cable from corrosion. there is no impact on its function based on yr description. Just use a heavy duty tape to close the abraided section and you're good to go. Save the dosh for something else.

Thanks

The external rubber lining protects the internal cable from corrosion. there is no impact on its function based on yr description. Just use a heavy duty tape to close the abraided section and you're good to go. Save the dosh for something else.

Hi VFRT,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've spray some WD40 into the rubber opening to dispel moisture. I am just afraid that duct tape method might not last long as the tape will always rub against the fairing stay. Perhaps regular application of WD40 is good enough?

Edited by civicblade

Did a check on the throttle cables again today. Looks bad. The metal sleeve are rusting. I was at Boon Siew yesterday to check out the VFR1200 and at the same time getting a blank key. Checked with the spare parts counter and was told that the throttle cables were out of stock.

Anyway, although the situation does not look good for the throttle cable, it should be able to hold for quite some time. Not going to do anything until after CNY.

• 5 weeks later...

hi civic blade..

i have the same exact problem as you.

the throttle cable seems to be rubbing agnst the ignition module. the rubber exterior has frayed and exposing the interior SS braided hoses.

i think there may be an easier solution. by just re-routing it under the bunch of other cables.

but the thing i dont underestand is how come there is no clearance for the cables. as in, shoulnt there be some extra length? when its a full turn to the right , the cables are touching.

anyone knows how much the cable cost?

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

This issue is a design flaw that Honda did not anticipate.

My theory is that this issue somewhat applies only to Singapore because of our multi-storey car parks. Very seldom do you have to do a full steering lock to the right, probably that is why this issue only surface in Singapore. And Singapore being such a small market, Honda does not give a damn.. haha.

Anyway, I have the same issue in 2006 with my then brand new VFR, I installed a cable housing over it and things seems fine.

For this VFR of mine, I do not think I am going to replace the throttle cables that soon due to my lack of workshop time. The steel housing is intact and holding up well. I've applied WD40 and will avoid full steering lock to the right whenever possible.

Throttle cable replacement and brake fluid flush will be next on my maintenance schedule.. might be a long away since I hardly have time to ride.