SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Trip Report - Singapore to HatYai

ken_nerve

Just returned from a trip to Thailand between 1- 6 September. 3 of us went on the trip without much planning. We went with the mindset of "Plan less, do more' and didn't really book any hotels except for the first night. We would just ride up to the hotel/hostel and check if they had available rooms. Originally wanted to head to Koh Samui, but shortened the trip to only HatYai as our 2B bikes cruising speed was quite slow and we were worried about the heavy rain.

The Bikes: 2x Honda CBF150 and 1x BMW R1100GS

Uploadbikes.jpg

The Route:

Day 1: Singapore to Ipoh

Day 2: Ipoh to HatYai

Day 3: R&R in HatYai

Day 4: HatYai to Ipoh

Day 5: Ipoh to Fraser Hill to Malacca

Day 6: Malacca to Singapore

Cruising speed:

A slow 90 to 100km/h

Edited by ken_nerve

Never let someone else's irrational fears hold you back.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 1: Singapore to Ipoh

It was pretty mundane as we were just chionging to complete the 500+km to Ipoh before sunset. Things got off to a bad start as I got lost while riding to meet up the rest at Tuas. Not even out of Singapore and I already horlan. :dot:

At about 3.30pm, we reached Ipoh and stayed at the Paragon City Hotel which is in a pretty dead part of town. Quite far from the city centre and opposite an old folks home, so really nothing to do around the area at night.

There was a sleazy bar in the hotel called De Hooters Bar & Miao Miao Bistro, which had tv screens playing videos of Thai girls doing bar top dancing. Some of the girls were topless too... guess it was a budget titty bar.

As always, the BMW was a pu55y magnet.

uploadpussy.jpg

Edited by ken_nerve

Day 2: Ipoh to HatYai

Day 2 was a little more interesting. Only a mere 330+km to our destination made for a relaxed ride.

Quite shocked to discover that the Thai immigration at Sadao is pretty corrupt. Pretty much everyone, locals and foreigners alike had to pay an "entry fee" of about 1RM to the immigration officers and customs folks. One of my friends did not offer an "entry fee" and the customs lady kept making things difficult for him. For example, she would ask for his driving license then his NRIC for the address. Too bad my friend did not get the hint and just kept producing all the documents.

Thankfully, my friend Vanga was there to guide us through the process. Basically, you park your bike at the side before the immigration area, walk over to the immigration counter to get your passport stamped then head farther in to settle your customs clearance for "importing" your vehicle. However, you will need to buy insurance back in Malaysia before you can get clearance and we bought ours in Changlun town.

Sadao looked like some wild west border town. Sandy, dusty and seemingly lawless with the blatant corruption. It was definitely an eye opener for me. I guess this is normal in small towns, doubt the immigration officers will be dare to do this if they are in bigger towns.

Barely 20km into Sadao, the BMW ran into some technical difficulties with the front brake. The caliper was somewhat seized and rubbing against the brake discs.

UPloadbreakdown.jpguploadrepair.jpg

Upon reaching HatYai, the BMW was sent for repairs at SAK SIRIBIGBIKE shop before heading off to Red Planet Hotel where we would spend the next 2 days.

IMG-20150903-WA0011.jpg

Tried finding the HatYai Municipality Park but just could not find it and ended up at the Wat HatYai Nai instead.

Uploadwathatyai.jpg

Edited by ken_nerve

Day 4: HatYai to Ipoh

This was the best day of the trip so far! We headed up to HatYai Municipal park which was seriously steep and winding! I was only in gear 2 all the way up to the summit. The view as you can see is spectacular.

Uploadpark.jpgUploadpark1.jpgUploadpark2.jpgUploadpark3.jpg

So apparently, you're not allowed to ride your bikes up to the top in front of the Buddha statue. However, we were so busy trying to ride up on low gearing that we did not realize there was a security guard trying to stop us. Haha. Thankfully, the guard let us take pics before riding back down. We heard that the guards previously had rifles with them, so it was a good thing they did not have rifles with them as we were riding up this time!

After the nice winding roads back down, we headed straight to Ipoh. This time, we stayed nearer to the city centre to enjoy their nightlife. Things were ridiculously cheap because of the exchange rate so we went somewhere slightly up market at Lau Ek Ching Street called Bricks and Barrels. Good service by the staff Kim and EK, good food and cheap booze. What's there not to like. Lots of eye candies too. Was quite suprised to see that Ipoh girls are quite tall.

Edited by ken_nerve

Day 5: Ipoh to Fraser Hill to Malacca

The first part of the day heading up and down Fraser Hill was freaking awesome. More winding roads with switchbacks and sharp turns. Views were awesome on the way up, roads were damn awesome and it was so cooling at the summit. My altimeter showed the altitude as 1168m above sea level. The clean cool air made me feel like I was in Switzerland all over again.

Uploadfraser3.jpg Uploadfraser.jpgUploadfraser1.jpg

We got caught in a storm on the way to Malacca and it was pretty scary to me. Ominous dark clouds overhead, rain pouring down so hard we could barely see. It was weird to experience a heavy downpour in one part of the highway then as we approached Malacca, the highway was bone dry. By the time we reached Malacca, my riding jacket and the front of my jeans had already dried up.

Day 6: Malacca to Singapore

Pretty uneventful. Left Malacca around 10am and reached home before 2pm. Got passed by many big bikes coming back from some 3 nations or 3 countries ride.

Just had to remember not to wide open throttle when on the expressway back home!

Thanks, but it looks like you more kilat. Go up on 2 stroke bike.

those were the days ,

first time go more kilat , cause prepare nothing and went alone .

u wouldnt want to know what kind of preparing work done hahaha

Wow. You were YOLO before YOLO was even a recognised term. Haha

ok jus to share, wore jeans ,covered shoe , and a t shirt . put on my raincoat

pack 2 shirt , 1 shorts and a slipper ,fully charge ipod thats all

even wore open face .

stayed there 2 day 1 night

Any problems gettin 2t there in south/nothern thailand (GT) ? ;)

i brought 2 bottle a long, use up one in the end

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ok jus to share, wore jeans ,covered shoe , and a t shirt . put on my raincoat

pack 2 shirt , 1 shorts and a slipper ,fully charge ipod thats all

even wore open face .

stayed there 2 day 1 night

i brought 2 bottle a long, use up one in the end

Thats the way man. Plan less, do more. Thinking of heading up to Krabi next. Have you been there? Any tips to share?

There is not much in Krabi Town.

Stay in Ao Nang Beach area would be much better.

Got food (local, western, Mac and Starbucks, etc), shopping and lots of tour booth to book your day trips.

Some places good for a visit:

1. Wat Tham Sua N8.124020, E98.925105 (and the 1237 steps climb to the temple at the summit of the mountain) - superly nice view... if you make it.

2. Khlong Thom Hot Stream Waterfall N7.933867, E99.208198

3. Tha Pom Khlong Song Nam Nature walk N8.213778, E98.777759

4. Phi Phi Island or James Bond Island snorkeling tour via Speed Boat. *Hong Island tour is not recommended (not much activities except laze at the different beaches).

You have to google the rest.

11 - 25 Nov - 15D, Taiwan - Fly and Scoot

7 - 15 Apr - 9D, Phuket and Hatyai Songkran

17 Nov to 2 Dec - 16D, North East Thailand (Issan)

30 Mar to 7 Apr - 9D Korea/Jeju Fly and Ride

8 - 24 Nov - 16D, Mae Hong Son

http://thehouseofdaviz.blogspot.sg/

SW9000...can I join yr trip....me gg Phuket year end

There is not much in Krabi Town.

Stay in Ao Nang Beach area would be much better.

Got food (local, western, Mac and Starbucks, etc), shopping and lots of tour booth to book your day trips.

Some places good for a visit:

1. Wat Tham Sua N8.124020, E98.925105 (and the 1237 steps climb to the temple at the summit of the mountain) - superly nice view... if you make it.

2. Khlong Thom Hot Stream Waterfall N7.933867, E99.208198

3. Tha Pom Khlong Song Nam Nature walk N8.213778, E98.777759

4. Phi Phi Island or James Bond Island snorkeling tour via Speed Boat. *Hong Island tour is not recommended (not much activities except laze at the different beaches).

You have to google the rest.

Anyone keen to ride to Hatyai or anywhere in Thailand for the Songkran Festival in April? Please contact me! Would want to stay there for a week!

030803 - 240806 CBR400RR FL211*U

010906 - 301207 2005 YZF-R6 FY98*8M

120115 - 161015 2006 FZ600N. FBA828**

161015 - ?????? 2006 VFR800A. FBE81**

• 1 month later...
Thats the way man. Plan less, do more. Thinking of heading up to Krabi next. Have you been there? Any tips to share?

go krabi, u can try go phuket also liao , near near nia. er . tips ah , rest well ? beware of vehicles.

Anyone keen to ride to Hatyai or anywhere in Thailand for the Songkran Festival in April? Please contact me! Would want to stay there for a week!

waste leh hatyai for a week , go up further a it better. krabi/phuket