SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[Discussion] Technical - CDI and Bad throttling response

Hi Guys,

I am currently riding CB400 Super Four Vtec 1 registered 2001. I have recently sent my bike for top service and replaced certain parts that have gone bad.

I was informed by the mechanic during the repair that my CDI was going bad but could still be used. As i have spent a lot on other repairs i decided against replacing the CDI thinking i can do it on another time but however upon testing the bike i found that the bike didn't respond as it should.

Symptoms: when throttling(moving off) or after clutching in there is a slight delay before power gets through and when it does it will stutter

I went back and was told it was because the CDI wasn't providing enough power for the bike to throttle cleanly.

I was also informed that because Vtec 1 cdi is no longer in production i would have to convert to either vtec 2 or vtec 3 cdi in which the whole meter would have to be replaced. Cost will be a lot too.

I was also offered a local cdi but i didn't think it would be worth it since it won't last long.

I am not sure if the prob is due to the CDI or a poorly tuned carbs.

Has anybody faced this problem before? Hope someone can shed some light in this.

Thank you

Warmest Regard

Ezzat Fahmy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I am currently riding CB400 Super Four Vtec 1 registered 2001. I have recently sent my bike for top service and replaced certain parts that have gone bad.

I was informed by the mechanic during the repair that my CDI was going bad but could still be used. As i have spent a lot on other repairs i decided against replacing the CDI thinking i can do it on another time but however upon testing the bike i found that the bike didn't respond as it should.

Symptoms: when throttling(moving off) or after clutching in there is a slight delay before power gets through and when it does it will stutter

I went back and was told it was because the CDI wasn't providing enough power for the bike to throttle cleanly.

I was also informed that because Vtec 1 cdi is no longer in production i would have to convert to either vtec 2 or vtec 3 cdi in which the whole meter would have to be replaced. Cost will be a lot too.

I was also offered a local cdi but i didn't think it would be worth it since it won't last long.

I am not sure if the prob is due to the CDI or a poorly tuned carbs.

Has anybody faced this problem before? Hope someone can shed some light in this.

Thank you

Warmest Regard

Ezzat Fahmy

hi bro

i had this issue also however i've spent alot on turning,washing,changing all parts for the carbs and end with a result changing CDI ( those china type clone ) it will not help as i still having same issue as yours basically Vtec sometime open and don't that cause the bad throttling.

i'm also hoping someone in here which had their issue resolve to assist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Would like to bump this thread as i'm having similar issues now, anyone have suggestion on how to fix it without costing a bomb?

Up guys,

That could be the carbs needing to be syncrhonised (is your IDLE rev stable or not) ?

Anyway anyone has some updates about the ECU ?I got some weird issues with my bikes, the dashboard turn on / off everytime i start the bike now, so it turns on when i switch the bike ON, then it resets ON/OFF when i start the engine, any ideas ?

Tx