SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

What’s the difference with front dual rotors and single rotors?

Hi guys,

I am wondering why are there bikes with front single rotor and some with dual rotors. Most scramblers I see are single rotor while most street bikes are dual rotors. I’ve also heard some bikes with dual rotors convert to single rotor. And some after they convert, they change to a bigger sized rotor, 320mm.

Can anyone elaborate on these queries? Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/dickrid/Picture2362.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming you're referring to the front braking system

Single rotor = lesser braking power as compared to Dual rotors

Generally, the bigger capacity the engine, the likelihood of dual rotors will be present

That said, Harley is famous for having single rotor (of cause, there have been complaints about its braking efficiency & power)

Usually on scramblers less those above 600cc, including cb400x, it is all single

Further, it is a fact that a scrambler of 200cc or 400cc, the difference in its default top speed is almost the same

To sum it up, when manufacturers believe that more stopping power is needed, the factory will produce a dual rotor system

To reply to your conversion (upgrade), I have seen some who did not cast a new brake bracket (resulting in slight misalignment) and/or upgrade their original brake pump, subsequently complaining of, 1) fading of brakes; 2) inefficient braking system; and/or 3) brake pad rubbing against rotor

Thanks dude! Now I have a better understanding. So basically bigger cc bikes, manufacturer will make as dual. Most likely don’t anyhow convert to single cos the braking power will be lesser. And probably a bigger 320mm rotor can have a better braking power but need to fix bracket. Which means inspection cannot pass la.. ✌️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/dickrid/Picture2362.jpg

'braking power will be lesser' - actually, we'll have to take into consideration the position of the caliper and the amount of pistons on the caliper too

'but need to fix bracket' - usually when a caliper which bears specifications of something other than the original, the bracket is recommended to be replaced

'inspection cannot pass' - yea, a lot of SG 125z who fixed flowery big disc (default SG spec is small disc) have failed their annual inspection

Cheers! :)