SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

wireless problem

Me_No_Money

np didn't really prove much of a help at all actually :p btw those chicks at the linksys fair really are good english speaking promoters..and their looks really :lovestruck: but too bad attached liao must be faithful cannot let eyes wonder around :nono:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went there on fri.din c any chicks at tat booth leh.e 1 spoke to me tried to smoke her way thru.lol.she not chio n not hot.

went ytd n saw lenova gt 1 damn chio.

2005-2006 TA150 FR36XXL

2006-2006 CBR400 FL32XXE

2006-2007 CB400 PB1 FN18XXB

2007-2010 CITI ACE110 FZ38XXZ

http://hometown-art.aol.com/htp/clipart/entertainment_and_arts/Looney32Tunes/source/porky2.gif

haha anyone interested in going back? i wanna get another creative webcam..selling mine off to my friend..the one i got for my gal works fine..

Guest diu6er

hei guys

saw this thread , that means ho u get WAP .. some newbies dont know bought new lappy that auto connect how>>? like in the north there 's free wireless ..paiseh quite new to this..:cheeky:

Originally posted by diu6er@March 18, 2007 10:24 pm

hei guys

saw this thread , that means ho u get WAP .. some newbies dont know bought new lappy that auto connect how>>? like in the north there 's free wireless ..paiseh quite new to this..:cheeky:

No...WAP is for handphones.

What I believe you're talking about is WEP, a wireless technology that shields a wireless network from unauthorized people.

If it's WirelessSG that you're talking about, you need to sign up for it. Instructions included.

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

Guest diu6er
Originally posted by redbeacon@March 19, 2007 03:56 am

No...WAP is for handphones.

What I believe you're talking about is WEP, a wireless technology that shields a wireless network from unauthorized people.

If it's WirelessSG that you're talking about, you need to sign up for it. Instructions included.

thank u red.. the site u gave needs both singtel broadband /gprs account as indicated in the site( sadly both have) so guess might sign up with imax??

...but thought there free wireless in some neighbourhood ../? right ..

Wireless@SG is free even if you sign up with Singtel. Difference is that Singnet Broadband users have the accounts already created for them while others have to create the accounts on their own.

The other 2 Wireless@SG providers are Qmax and iCell.

Just call me Eno.

8 Sep 2004 - ??? : Honda Phantom TA200

4 Oct 2005 - Feb 2006 : Honda FireBlade CBR400RR

Drivers and bikers look at the world from different angles. Don't believe? Just compare them in a corner...

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you. - Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear)

• 1 month later...

it seems like this router is particularly fussy with its configuration

i have solved another 2 more now, so i jus let u guys know

theres this common problem of being able to connect to the router wirelessly but no internet connection.

1. USB adapter

i duno why but seems like the driver that came wif dosent run, but in the process it sorta like semi intall n corrupt itself, do a clean removal, download a new one n re install

2. check your passphrase and WEP key

another misleading thing is that, u need to enter the passphrase generated by the router n not the WEP key into your client, however,i find that even if i enter the wrong passphrase, i am still able to connect and surf net but at a slow speed maybe 2-3kb per sec, which make it seems like a connection problem n not a password problem, please take note to enter your passphrase correctly, if your experiencing " limited connection" high chance is that its the wrong passphrase entered

conflicting IP

the default ip for the router comes in 192.168.1.1, so does our modem n other routers, changed it to a different IP address, perhaps to .1.254, however it may not necessary worked, i have been trouble shooting a brand new one for a few hrs n after talking to their tech support, they recommnd me to change it to .2.1, i am thinking VLAN 1 or 2 dosent matter, but hell, it worked, so i didnt care

3a. downsize the MTU

i named tis 3a because its not a direct solution, i did this together with the change of vlan .2.1, i m not sure which actually solved the problem, but you can do tis as well, this sorta control the quantity of the packets being route to the router, i downsize to 1300 as recommended by their tech support, there have been cases where the default 1500 traffic is too high for the router to take n have connection issues

3b this as well was done with the VLAN change, under firewall settings, untick " do not accept anonmyous requests from the internet"

4. this is wad my friend has solved, totally unrelated to the above solutions, but he jus set the mac filtering on, key in the mac address n it worked, just like this. take note to enter as xx:xx:xx as specified by the router n not XX-XX-XX as displayed in our pc

if all else fails, hook up with the tech support from linksys, they have a live chat section where a tech guy will guide u along, better than fone when they understand our pronounciation, remember to do a factory reset, hold on the reset button wif a pin for 30sec so to erase all earlier config which may fool u while ur on the line wif the tech guy

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/utopian355/ABCD0006-smallcopy.jpg

Originally posted by ah_tee@May 03, 2007 10:34 am

it seems like this router is particularly fussy with its configuration

i have solved another 2 more now, so i jus let u guys know

theres this common problem of being able to connect to the router wirelessly but no internet connection.

1. USB adapter

i duno why but seems like the driver that came wif dosent run, but in the process it sorta like semi intall n corrupt itself, do a clean removal, download a new one n re install

2. check your passphrase and WEP key

another misleading thing is that, u need to enter the passphrase generated by the router n not the WEP key into your client, however,i find that even if i enter the wrong passphrase, i am still able to connect and surf net but at a slow speed maybe 2-3kb per sec, which make it seems like a connection problem n not a password problem, please take note to enter your passphrase correctly, if your experiencing " limited connection" high chance is that its the wrong passphrase entered

conflicting IP

the default ip for the router comes in 192.168.1.1, so does our modem n other routers, changed it to a different IP address, perhaps to .1.254, however it may not necessary worked, i have been trouble shooting a brand new one for a few hrs n after talking to their tech support, they recommnd me to change it to .2.1, i am thinking VLAN 1 or 2 dosent matter, but hell, it worked, so i didnt care

3a. downsize the MTU

i named tis 3a because its not a direct solution, i did this together with the change of vlan .2.1, i m not sure which actually solved the problem, but you can do tis as well, this sorta control the quantity of the packets being route to the router, i downsize to 1300 as recommended by their tech support, there have been cases where the default 1500 traffic is too high for the router to take n have connection issues

3b this as well was done with the VLAN change, under firewall settings, untick " do not accept anonmyous requests from the internet"

4. this is wad my friend has solved, totally unrelated to the above solutions, but he jus set the mac filtering on, key in the mac address n it worked, just like this. take note to enter as xx:xx:xx as specified by the router n not XX-XX-XX as displayed in our pc

if all else fails, hook up with the tech support from linksys, they have a live chat section where a tech guy will guide u along, better than fone when they understand our pronounciation, remember to do a factory reset, hold on the reset button wif a pin for 30sec so to erase all earlier config which may fool u while ur on the line wif the tech guy

Abit of corrections about router configurations. First of all, let me justify that Linksys is a good company that protects reliable and good routers.

As for all routers, there are 2 type as in ethernet cable or USB cable. 2 types depends on your modem and your router must have the ports supplied for it.

My first comment will be, dun get a USB one, if your modem is a USB port, buy a new modem, because ethernet and USB works totally different and the transfer rates are far different compared. And also ethernet ensure no problem because it does not need configuration for its port like a USB one. USB will have alot of problem whenever the firmware does not support or version of USB driver is different. Thus using ethernet port is still the best and most stable.

Now comes to configuration. In order to test for wireless for internet, you have to test for wired for internet first. Don't ever try to do it straight away using wireless first time, because you might have more problems later on. Connect thru an ethernet port and run the configuration gateway setting. For most Linksys systems, their default gateway add is 192.168.1.1. That is the default.

Entering the screen, check for your log in username and password settings.(For internet services) Make sure your username and password for your internet is correct, try to leave as much things as default as possible, like port forward etc. Connect to the internet and observe the LED of the router, if its connected to internet. You are done with the setting.

Dun proceed to wireless yet. Now you want to set security for your router. Go to the WEP service of the router and look at the settings needed. The thing that you need most of the time, is using 32 bit encrytion or 64 bit encrytion. Settling that, take note of the WEP key and the WEP password that you used. Reboot the router. Check for internet connection again.

When the connection is still up, (WEP setting wont affect the connection to internet, it affects connection of peers to router) Unplug ur ethernet of your laptop and on your wireless. Wait for it to search for the router name(if you change the SSID of the router, it will change also) Always make sure that the IP address is set to automatically achieved. Once search done, the SSID should appear with a lock icon on it, connect to it, it requires a key and a password, enter the details that you recorded and wait for it to connect. If it doesnt connect, it have to be your password, dun bother about changing anything in the TCP/IP of the network card, it only create more trouble. Password is case sensitive, thus, take note of it.

Once everything is done, your wireless is up, it should connect to internet like your wired, if it doesnt, but it connect to the router, check your IP address of the laptop by double clicking the icon. check is it 192.168.1.xxx and the gateway address as 192.168.1.1. If yes, its your wireless configuration. If no, password wrong, etc.

if yes, it can be very mafan to check everything on the wireless, get someone good with it,(Like me) and settle it for you.

Also, about VLAN, or MAC address entry. MAC is good for secruity purposes and ensure faster connection to router. Which is good if you know how to add it and set the port forwardings to it. VLAN is a very ma fan thing, as for home use, you never need VLAN, because your household can never reach 100 user at the same time, and have VLAN is a waste of time, also it slows your connection.

MTU are always set as high as possible, though if your modem cannot take the packet transfer, it means that you have to lower it down. If you set too high, it means a higher chance of packet lost, if you set too low, it means lower DL, UL speed. as simple as that.

As for confict IP. Yes, it does happen. But it shouldnt. Because IP address in your router is never in conflict with the IP address assign to your modem. the gatway address 192.168.1.1 is routed to the IP address of the modem in order for you, 192.168.1.xxx to connect to the internet. So in short, 192.168.1.1 is a door for you, a user 192.168.1.xxx to go to your modem xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which goes to internet. Thus, there will never be a conflict by right. An IP conflict will occur if you set the IP address manually in your computer and that IP address is already assigned in your router. That happens when you set MAC manually. Thus, like I say, always set your IP address automatically in your computer. Another conflict will be other routers in your area, your neighbours etc. If you suspect they having the same IP address as you for routers, router might have conflict with each other for master gateway address. BUT it shouldnt happen because each router should work individually unless you add the other router into your network. Let say it does conflict and you need to change, the best next choice will be having 10.0.1.1 or 10.xxx.1.1 Start your address with 10, or 192, but have a different number behind will be very safe for you not to have conflict with others.

If still have problem, dun hesitate to ask me.

sth to point out..I used to face disconnection and problems with my router speed..paying for 6500kbs for starhub then always facing problems with my router, kena DC for no reason then I reset the router and the name back to "Linksys" and back then using windows to configure internet till my friend recommend me to use "INTEL proset/wireless" then it became better for me cuz I found out there are two "linksys" router name in my block/vacinity..but the other guy has a router password whereby mine didn't..so in case someone faces the same thing can try using INTEL to solve your problem..

1) try connecting direct to modem via ethernet and dl the INTEL from web

2) check your wifi model or sth and dl the right one..

3) install

4) try typing in the profile name and SSID(your router name) to detect the right connection that you paid for..

:goodluck:

just giving sth that I think can work..sorry if there's any part missing out or doesn't work for you :p

Originally posted by LarryDK@May 03, 2007 11:37 am

Abit of corrections about router configurations. First of all, let me justify that Linksys is a good company that protects reliable and good routers.

As for all routers, there are 2 type as in ethernet cable or USB cable. 2 types depends on your modem and your router must have the ports supplied for it.

My first comment will be, dun get a USB one, if your modem is a USB port, buy a new modem, because ethernet and USB works totally different and the transfer rates are far different compared. And also ethernet ensure no problem because it does not need configuration for its port like a USB one. USB will have alot of problem whenever the firmware does not support or version of USB driver is different. Thus using ethernet port is still the best and most stable.

Now comes to configuration. In order to test for wireless for internet, you have to test for wired for internet first. Don't ever try to do it straight away using wireless first time, because you might have more problems later on. Connect thru an ethernet port and run the configuration gateway setting. For most Linksys systems, their default gateway add is 192.168.1.1. That is the default.

Entering the screen, check for your log in username and password settings.(For internet services) Make sure your username and password for your internet is correct, try to leave as much things as default as possible, like port forward etc. Connect to the internet and observe the LED of the router, if its connected to internet. You are done with the setting.

Dun proceed to wireless yet. Now you want to set security for your router. Go to the WEP service of the router and look at the settings needed. The thing that you need most of the time, is using 32 bit encrytion or 64 bit encrytion. Settling that, take note of the WEP key and the WEP password that you used. Reboot the router. Check for internet connection again.

When the connection is still up, (WEP setting wont affect the connection to internet, it affects connection of peers to router) Unplug ur ethernet of your laptop and on your wireless. Wait for it to search for the router name(if you change the SSID of the router, it will change also) Always make sure that the IP address is set to automatically achieved. Once search done, the SSID should appear with a lock icon on it, connect to it, it requires a key and a password, enter the details that you recorded and wait for it to connect. If it doesnt connect, it have to be your password, dun bother about changing anything in the TCP/IP of the network card, it only create more trouble. Password is case sensitive, thus, take note of it.

Once everything is done, your wireless is up, it should connect to internet like your wired, if it doesnt, but it connect to the router, check your IP address of the laptop by double clicking the icon. check is it 192.168.1.xxx and the gateway address as 192.168.1.1. If yes, its your wireless configuration. If no, password wrong, etc.

if yes, it can be very mafan to check everything on the wireless, get someone good with it,(Like me) and settle it for you.

Also, about VLAN, or MAC address entry. MAC is good for secruity purposes and ensure faster connection to router. Which is good if you know how to add it and set the port forwardings to it. VLAN is a very ma fan thing, as for home use, you never need VLAN, because your household can never reach 100 user at the same time, and have VLAN is a waste of time, also it slows your connection.

MTU are always set as high as possible, though if your modem cannot take the packet transfer, it means that you have to lower it down. If you set too high, it means a higher chance of packet lost, if you set too low, it means lower DL, UL speed. as simple as that.

As for confict IP. Yes, it does happen. But it shouldnt. Because IP address in your router is never in conflict with the IP address assign to your modem. the gatway address 192.168.1.1 is routed to the IP address of the modem in order for you, 192.168.1.xxx to connect to the internet. So in short, 192.168.1.1 is a door for you, a user 192.168.1.xxx to go to your modem xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx which goes to internet. Thus, there will never be a conflict by right. An IP conflict will occur if you set the IP address manually in your computer and that IP address is already assigned in your router. That happens when you set MAC manually. Thus, like I say, always set your IP address automatically in your computer. Another conflict will be other routers in your area, your neighbours etc. If you suspect they having the same IP address as you for routers, router might have conflict with each other for master gateway address. BUT it shouldnt happen because each router should work individually unless you add the other router into your network. Let say it does conflict and you need to change, the best next choice will be having 10.0.1.1 or 10.xxx.1.1 Start your address with 10, or 192, but have a different number behind will be very safe for you not to have conflict with others.

If still have problem, dun hesitate to ask me.

linksys is a chore for me, i setup at least 5 WRT54Gs n spend days doing it

because there is excellent connection, but jus no internet

i unplugged my first WRT54G n test in my office, dosent work, test at home dosent work, test it at my friend place, it worked, dun ask why, its the same configuration, but some places it work, some places it dosent

u can go to yahoo n do a search for this router, n u will see a whole load of problems attached to it all ard the world

i did my company aztech wIFI n its up n running in 5mins

maybe i didnt say clearly, the usb adapter i am talking about the is the wireless adapter, i think its WPC11 or something, theres is really something wrong wif the driver, the cd dosent run, the exe dosent run, it dosent install from device manager, n then it corrupts itself, as mention, do a search its a common problem

i disagree wif u to test for wired internet first, because at many instance, the adsl modem that i am doing is already .1.1,

u shld changed the ip of the router first if u know its conflicting

about the VLAN, yes its needed for the one i did last nite, the .1.254 i set for router and .1.1 for the modem actually conflicts,

dun ask me why i duno also, the linksys guy recommended me to switch VLANs and the internet is up straight away

configuring wireless routers is easy, configuring the WRT54G is not

if ur lucky , it will work straight away, if not prepare to spend hours.

like i said, my friend whose a network engineer managing global VPNs took a few hrs to solve his, everything is done , router n adapter signal is excellent, jus no internet

after he set mac filtering, problem solve, dun ask why, he dosent know also

mine encountered the same problem, did the mac filtering n dosent work also,,

waste a few hrs resetting n installaing, in the end, change in VLAN solve the problem, dun ask me why, i duno also

the linksys tech help guys will know ways to work ard, u need specific strategies to deal wif this router

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r239/utopian355/ABCD0006-smallcopy.jpg

Oh its a usb wireless adapter.

Alright. I hate that also. Most problematic is that kind of wireless control. Thats also the reason I stop getting USB type and use the original method. The new way of convenience for layman actually might make things worse than before.

Anyway, my solution is for general wireless connection problem. Andd using wired connection is better for setting up your router and modem together, then having to wait for the wireless to connect to your router each time. :)

setting up via cable then to wifi is a chore..been there done that for hours..hours and lotsa them I say :giddy: at first it was ok with direct conn then switch to wifi then couldn't find internet connection though it states "excellent connection 54mbs" but I can't even enter yahoo..then was using windows to config now using intel its much better..sometimes your neighbour's router name "linksys" clashes with yours.. WRT54g sure is a hassle at times.. till I find some money and a better brand/make I'll change and chuck my linksys router aside -_-

btw anyone got any reviews or comments on linksys program that configs the wifi? its included in the wifi receiver used normally for desktops..I've got the cd but I didn't install it cuz its troublesome to config some things..including my router number(under your router barcode) which I can't read and tried various numbers+alphabets and typed into the software to register my router but to my avail :faint:

Regarding playing with the MTU, I found this source:

MTU -  The Maximum Transmission Unit is the largest packet that a given network medium can carry.

• Ethernet, for example, has a fixed MTU of 1500 bytes,

• ATM has a fixed MTU of 48 bytes, and

• PPP (aka what DSL is using) has a negotiated MTU that is usually between 500 and 2000 bytes.

So for PPP, I think it would be best if you leave it at AUTO (at the WAN side of the router). For Cable, it's 1500 unless otherwise specified.

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."