SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Gilera Runner - FAQ 2012

safety first

a casual google check provided me this with result.

For 4stroke engine.

Valve clearance refers to the small gap between a valve lifter and a valve stem that ensures that the valve completely closes. On engines with mechanical valve adjustment excessive clearance will cause noise from the valve train. Typically the clearance has to be readjusted each 20,000 miles with a feeler gauge.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a casual google check provided me this with result.

For 4stroke engine.

Valve clearance refers to the small gap between a valve lifter and a valve stem that ensures that the valve completely closes. On engines with mechanical valve adjustment excessive clearance will cause noise from the valve train. Typically the clearance has to be readjusted each 20,000 miles with a feeler gauge.

Yup. Tat'a right. Anyone had try doing the clearance before? I guess the bike should have a better power delivered after doing it.

:cheer:

Glad to have u in my life : ) Always love one another!

not yet i do not know it is required to be cleared at interval of 20k miles!!! new info for me. thanx!

Yamaha SparkZ 110 (2004 to 2008)

Yamaha X1-R 135 (June 2008 to Feb 2009)

Gilera ST Runner 200 (Feb 2009 to I dun knw...:confused:)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123504&d=1252221095

Cinta takkan datang, kalau tak dicari ... Cinta takkan dapat, kalau tak memberi ...

yeah i was asking myself the same question since i'm also in the park

for a new timing chain.

can't seem to find any post on ppl doing valve clearance & replacement

of timing chain since on the left side carb you only see an auto tensioner..

i have yet to see any scoot shops providing this service.

IMO valve clearance & timing chain change is essential for 4 strokers.

if you guys have any luck, drop me a pm.

of cos the competent mech would also need to know which leaf to

use (distance/thickness or watchamacalit)

Pros should be easier start, better fuel consumption & overall better ride quality.

take me to georgia

yeah i was asking myself the same question since i'm also in the park

for a new timing chain.

can't seem to find any post on ppl doing valve clearance & replacement

of timing chain since on the left side carb you only see an auto tensioner..

i have yet to see any scoot shops providing this service.

IMO valve clearance & timing chain change is essential for 4 strokers.

if you guys have any luck, drop me a pm.

of cos the competent mech would also need to know which leaf to

use (distance/thickness or watchamacalit)

Pros should be easier start, better fuel consumption & overall better ride quality.

yup.. Definately for all this pros.. Haha.. But in the gilera runner manuel did state any stuff regarding the need of valve clearance? Tot of looking into it too.

i would have done it myself if i knew what the clearance measurements were..

engine has to rotate for it to hit (excuse the pun) TDC before adjustments can take place. any scrammie shop would do it on a regular basis.

am surprised that no one in this forum has done it yet.

I would suggest tai hin since only the faithful ones go there..

take me to georgia

i would have done it myself if i knew what the clearance measurements were..

engine has to rotate for it to hit (excuse the pun) TDC before adjustments can take place. any scrammie shop would do it on a regular basis.

am surprised that no one in this forum has done it yet.

I would suggest tai hin since only the faithful ones go there..

Yup, tat's right. Two of my friends riding drz already did the valve clearance. And they have give positive feedback regarding it. But will tai hin know about it? If I am not wrong every 4stroke machine require this process in order to maintain well the engine.

I'm looking the same information too. As far as I know Ducati bike every 24,000 KM need to do valve clearance inspection and adjustment. Do we have any information how to do it?

Greetings from Malaysia.

A car is a transport, a motorcycle is fun, but a scooter is the Romance Holidays on Wheels. ~Davis, 1997~

I'm looking the same information too. As far as I know Ducati bike every 24,000 KM need to do valve clearance inspection and adjustment. Do we have any information how to do it?

Greetings from Malaysia.

Hi, seems like runner dosent require valve clearance? Haha couldn't be I think. As overall is still a four stroke machine.

Hi, seems like runner dosent require valve clearance? Haha couldn't be I think. As overall is still a four stroke machine.

Hi,

Since scooter always running in higher rev, I believe our engine need to do valve clearance adjustment same like any other super bike.

e.g.

http://www.aperaceparts.com/tech/YZFR1.html

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/14272-how-valve-clearance-check-adjustment.html

Now come to the question. How we able doing adjustment?

Thank you.

Greetings from Malaysia.

A car is a transport, a motorcycle is fun, but a scooter is the Romance Holidays on Wheels. ~Davis, 1997~

Hi,

I found some useful info from this website.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic48015

On my gilera runner VRX200 ( same engine as vespa gt200 ) I found all valves had closed up abit on the 1st 4000 miles inspection

Set to the book settings of 0.10mm & 0.15mm metric

I believe 0.10mm for Intake & 0.15mm for exhaust.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-valve-lash-gt

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-valve-lash-gts

Edited by DAViS

Hi,

I found some useful info from this website.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic48015

I believe 0.10mm for Intake & 0.15mm for exhaust.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-valve-lash-gt

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-valve-lash-gts

Good and clear info. Thanks:) probably will check out with my mechanic regarding this. I know to know whether 4 stroke valve require polishing as in servicing like 2 stroke valve as well in the process of valve clearance?

Good and clear info. Thanks:) probably will check out with my mechanic regarding this. I know to know whether 4 stroke valve require polishing as in servicing like 2 stroke valve as well in the process of valve clearance?

Hi,

Please update the outcome. If can, please take some photos for the job.

Thank you.

Greetings from Malaysia.

based on your info, i'll try to do it this weekend or the next. hope it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. i've the blades so no issues. will keep you guys updated! cheers!!

Edited by white_angel

take me to georgia

Keep up with the research!!!!

Yamaha SparkZ 110 (2004 to 2008)

Yamaha X1-R 135 (June 2008 to Feb 2009)

Gilera ST Runner 200 (Feb 2009 to I dun knw...:confused:)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=123504&d=1252221095

Cinta takkan datang, kalau tak dicari ... Cinta takkan dapat, kalau tak memberi ...

based on your info, i'll try to do it this weekend or the next. hope it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. i've the blades so no issues. will keep you guys updated! cheers!!

Nice. I was thinking of doing it too. Maybe next week. I happenEd to meet up my old mechanic, he say he is able to do the valve clearance for runner. I will try to get some pics as well through the process of doing it.

Nice. I was thinking of doing it too. Maybe next week. I happenEd to meet up my old mechanic, he say he is able to do the valve clearance for runner. I will try to get some pics as well through the process of doing it.

bro, let me know the outcome of the valve clearance. Oh and not forgetting where and how much.

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys wanna thank everyone before hand for helping me here! haha. ok im riding a nsr rr right now but wanna change to a runner. i definitely know more abt 2b sports bikes but almost nth abt scooter. im scared if i buy a runner i might get conned! or something wrong i also dont know.

can u guys help? just wanna know how's the maintenance wise? wat are the standard stuff have to change or look out for? i know there are no chiong parts for runners like nsr has. so roughly how are the costs? and i know there's the st/vxr200 and the 180 sp, wats the diff for these 2 models(besides 2 stroke and 4stroke)? which would u recommend? and if its 2 stroke can u still change to lv exhaust?

thanks again!

May 2009 class 3

Aug 2010 Class 2B

Apr 2012 Class 2A

Aug 2013 Class 2

Rides:

(Past)Honda NSR SP, Honda NSR RR, Gilera Runner VXR, Honda XR400SM, Honda Super 4 spec 1, Yamaha R6, Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, Gilera Runner ST200, Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC, Yamaha Tmax 530

thanks rastadan for your great help! any other opinions out there?

May 2009 class 3

Aug 2010 Class 2B

Apr 2012 Class 2A

Aug 2013 Class 2

Rides:

(Past)Honda NSR SP, Honda NSR RR, Gilera Runner VXR, Honda XR400SM, Honda Super 4 spec 1, Yamaha R6, Ducati Hypermotard 1100S, Gilera Runner ST200, Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC, Yamaha Tmax 530

yeah but the 180 cant change to like lv exhaust! thats what makes me lean to the 200 haha.

May 2009 class 3

Aug 2010 Class 2B

Apr 2012 Class 2A

Aug 2013 Class 2

Rides:

Hi confusehaha.

i know this is an old thread but im having the same problem as you did. My 07 st200 travels a maximum of 150 when everybody else says its ard 220km for full tank. its terrible. I just had my autochoke and some torn rubber fixed today but this is like a multiple attempt to settle to the problem to no avail. Did you manage to solve yours??

And also should i attempt to fix the fuel guage thing as suggested? will it be accurate after that?