help on touring + adventure bike

potato

sorry, i know i should do my home work, but too much to search, too much to read, too many pages.

Im looking for a touring/adventure bike.

so far short list afican twin, GS 650 n fazer 600. n aprilia pregaso 650 (anyone have any other bike to recomand is welcome) didnt consider any 1000cc bike coz of $$$. budget below 14K for a 2nd hand.

need to know more info example like bike maintainess, value for a 2nd hand now, petrol mileage, how many engine oil, plug, bah bah bah...

top speed, difference of the bike.

last, if u were to choose, which will u go for? n Y?

Thx for reading n thx thx thx for posting info..

Ride Safe~~

Late is better than never Reach.

• Replies 31

african twin.

reason is becoz, you cant go adventure riding on a fazer coz its a streetbike so you cant bring it offroad.

GS650, although it can handle offroad well, maintainance and parts are rather ex.

ATwin has been tested and proven both offroad and highway touring.

my 2 cents worth.

Cheers~~!!

VTX 1800 R2 - My Red AXE

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1277/1364068165_c2c3d6b1e3.jpg

ENDLESS ROADS ~ TAKE THEM SLOW

My friend recommended me to buy african twin if i ever intend to upgrade. Currently i m riding transalp 400 and to me it is the best bike i ever ridden. The reason why african twin is good is because of its high mileage and easy maintenance compare to other bikes.

im kinda like potato now, looking for a bike in the line of an AT, GS, TDM, Vara, Vstrom..

but cun decide.. but budget constrain.. and i'm looking for a bike to tour more than offroad.. so comments on the above bikes?? :D

yo xanc... i recommend vara.. keke.. coz i riding one. Its a good bike, great fun... if you dun mind the fuel consumption.

Something I read somewhere:

Low fuel consumption = low fun, High fuel consumption = great fun...

I think I'll go with the fun...

VStrom also not bad. :smile:

just my 2 cents

VTX 1800 R2 - My Red AXE

wah.. topic tio hijack.. hee hee...

no worry.. post post post.. i oso wanna know feedback about tis bike.. even tho im more interested in tour + adventure bike..

tink of KTM 950 n 990.. but.. $$$$$$$ dun earn enough.. lol...

anyone else? can give some comment? hee..

Ride Safe~~

Originally posted by Penguin@Jun 27 2006, 11:24 AM

yo xanc... i recommend vara.. keke.. coz i riding one. Its a good bike, great fun... if you dun mind the fuel consumption.

Something I read somewhere:

Low fuel consumption = low fun, High fuel consumption = great fun...

I think I'll go with the fun...

VStrom also not bad. :smile:

just my 2 cents

ya.. i guess, if $$$ is not a factor.. everyone will go for fun+power..

2 bad.. only blame ownself dun earn enough .. lol...

heard ppl say AT kind of under power..

dun really understand y they say so.. anyone can help to clarify?

n i heard GS650 top is ard 145km/h.. is tat true? any way to de-restrict it?

Ride Safe~~

hye penguin, thnx for ur comments..

hm.. vara fuel consumption heavy rite? heard drink petrol like water..

is AT using tube tyres? under powered??

yup... vara drink petrol like H2O.... 25L go only abt 330km city riding. That's like 13~14km/L... but once you open the throttle... woohoo... something that you wont get on an ATwin...

ATwins are using tubed tyres due to the spokes. They consume lesser petrol and are more off road orientated than a vara. However becoz it is heavy and only 750cc, it is a little underpowered when compared to the torque of a vara.

I personally feel that ATwins are rather overpriced now... its also quite common on the roads nowadays... varas are rarer... ATwins are also a discontinued range...

Anyways, haha.. like I said... Just my 2 cents... keke :cheeky:

Potato > KTM.. wahhhhh..... soo nice... I like... :cheer: :cheer:... but i guess too ex for me... :sian: Not too sure about the GS650's top speed.. should be slightly higher than 145 bah... ATwin around 170 if im not wrong. Vara 220.

Cheers~~!!

VTX 1800 R2 - My Red AXE

Penguin>> ur bike vey thirsty...drink so much, must be the owner hand itchy playing too much of the throttle..kekee...My average fuel consumption is ard 16-17km/l ...average speed of 80-90km/h city ride. Uncle like me, nowadays ride slowly on the road liao....High speed, petrol consumption will be ard 13 -14km/l.

potato>> Can look around as nowadays got lot of AT bike leeting off....FR plate latest transaction cost ard $7k....worth buying, anyway this bike got high resale value. But once u bought it, don't complaints about the under power it has, anyway with 2 side box n top box, 160km/h sure no problem..( my friends from behind seeing my ex- AT bike travelling like snake....kekee.). BMW = Bring More Worries, unless u got spare cash to service the bike

Varadero Adventure Rider Asia

hi,

mus c u ( kan-tung ) , can u handle a twin or fazer6, twin is much higher n heavier.

Yupz, agree with the rest twin can do abit of adventure, then

(( kan-tung )), u've to ask yaself again, wat r the kind of riding u'll b doing. the trips u intend to go, r u an adventurous person.

i ride a fazer6, nv try twin b4.

N, dun 4get , twin is on tubes, fazer6 is tubeless, got a puncture, all u need is a worm n foot pump , n wah-la.

Mayb the twin guys wan share how they deal with flats.

unless ( kan0tung ) got $ change rim ta can take tubless.

fazer6 local ride can do-400km =1tank 18L.

(oso mus depend on way rider's riding pattern.

top speed on fazer so far i only tried 220kmph. with HB top box.

=safe ridez=

+

potato,

check out transalp, it may have wat u want :goodluck:

1991-Katana125 1992-GN125 1993-Terminator250 1995-Intruder400 1996-ZX-7RRP1 & Charade1L 1996-Vulcan800 1998-Accent1.5L 2001-CorollaXLI 2002-TDM900 2005-Phamton150 2006-FJR1300 2007-KLE500 & WRX JDM 2010-Spark135 & Legacy GT 2012-Focus SW & Sylphy 2015-V Strom 650XT & D Tracker, 2016-Cross Country & RS4 125, 2017-Moto Guzzi V7ii Stone

Originally posted by HAtYAiBUSA@Jun 30 2006, 03:20 PM

hi,

mus c u ( kan-tung ) , can u handle a twin or fazer6, twin is much higher n heavier.

Yupz, agree with the rest twin can do abit of adventure, then

(( kan-tung )), u've to ask yaself again, wat r the kind of riding u'll b doing. the trips u intend to go, r u an adventurous person.

i ride a fazer6, nv try twin b4.

N, dun 4get , twin is on tubes, fazer6 is tubeless, got a puncture, all u need is a worm n foot pump , n wah-la.

Mayb the twin guys wan share how they deal with flats.

unless ( kan0tung ) got $ change rim ta can take tubless.

fazer6 local ride can do-400km =1tank 18L.

(oso mus depend on way rider's riding pattern.

top speed on fazer so far i only tried 220kmph. with HB top box.

=safe ridez=

+

thf for ur feedback.. well, i tink i can handle the weight...

i do like adventure oso..

but my pocket always so tight.. lol...

got to look for the best buy within my spec n budget.

Ride Safe~~

Originally posted by [-tRuSt-

,Jul 2 2006, 06:33 PM] hi...if compare the GS1150 with the ktm 990 adventure...hows the price like? performance...etc... :smile: maintainance...etc...parts... pls advice... :thumb:

GS price : 2nd hand i guess ard 20K n above ( guess only)

ktm price : above 27K if not wrong.. some where 27-30K

Performance both bike power, ktm more power, drink fuel more, gs is higher in height, gs supension not as good as ktm. (read tat from a mag)

maintainance = both bike = siong.. burn pocket.. :giddy:

go check out those bookstore, there's a mag which do compare ktm990 vs GS1200

Ride Safe~~

ATwin > haha.. yup.. owner itchy hand hehehe.... likes the pick up.... like I mentioned... more fun == more petrol.

VTX 1800 R2 - My Red AXE

Originally posted by potato@Jul 3 2006, 05:23 PM

GS price : 2nd hand i guess ard 20K n above ( guess only)

ktm price : above 27K if not wrong.. some where 27-30K

Performance both bike power, ktm more power, drink fuel more, gs is higher in height, gs supension not as good as ktm. (read tat from a mag)

maintainance = both bike = siong.. burn pocket.. :giddy:

go check out those bookstore, there's a mag which do compare ktm990 vs GS1200

thanks bro... whats the mag name? :thumb:

Potato > If your budget is below 14k for a 2nd hand, you can afford a Vara no prob. Your insurance/road tax will differ slightly of course but its not really too significant. The power you're getting from the Vara cannot be compared to a 750.

I was quite apprehensive about buying a vara at first. I was looking more at the ST11. Then i got a chance to test ride both. ST11 is very comfortable but a little boring. So i decided to get the Vara and as to date, no regrets. You cant really go OFFROAD with this, but i feel that it handles well with poor road conditions. You want to go offroad, its either the GS or the KTM.

But remember, European bike are more costly, and their parts are more expensive as compared to Japanese.

William Tan>>Off road no problem, only had to depend on how good the owner can handle this bike in such terrain. Bro want to try your Vara to this trip as what our bros had did b4...so far Trex & Murphy had complete the trip to cambodia & laos..kekee. I hope one of these day i can visit these place with my Vara before quiting it.

Murphy Blog

potato>> As what William say if u don't mind the insurance & the petrol consumption, maybe u can consider it. Atwin also a good choice (my ex-bike).

As for KTM 950 maybe u can check with last sat newspaper at the classified, owner selling his KTM 950. Good luck for your choice. If i got spare cash, i will consider getting that. Kekeee

Varadero Adventure Rider Asia