SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Box, Side Panniers Related Issue

Guest maxx_5

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone share if it is possible to install top box to VFR (gen 5) when it already has the OEM panniers attached? Any suggestions / preferences for brand and where to best get it from?

Thanks!

Hi Jenga.

I am not aware that the 5th genner has an OEM pannier option. The only aftermarket VFR-specific panniers for it was the Corbin Bettle-bag which I had on my 1st vfr. It looks odd, is not demountable not spacious.

In any case, to help your q, I have a GIVI top box & bracket specific to my current 5th genner. I've taken some pix of the bracket & its mounting so you can assess if it will work with your pannier system.

Hope it helps.

20121216_160655.jpg

20121216_160630.jpg

20121216_160812.jpg

Edited by vfrT

Hi Jenga.

I am not aware that the 5th genner has an OEM pannier option. The only aftermarket VFR-specific panniers for it was the Corbin Bettle-bag which I had on my 1st vfr. It looks odd, is not demountable not spacious.

In any case, to help your q, I have a GIVI top box & bracket specific to my current 5th genner. I've taken some pix of the bracket & its mounting so you can assess if it will work with your pannier system.

Hope it helps.

Sorry, my bad, I realize mine is a Gen 6 although year of build 2001. It still has underseat exhausts but to my understanding no ABS and no VTEC...

Sorry, my bad, I realize mine is a Gen 6 although year of build 2001. It still has underseat exhausts but to my understanding no ABS and no VTEC...

It is probably a 2002 6th Gen, as Honda had to start building them way ahead of the launch date in order to releasing them en masse to the market. Check the frame number stamped on the right side of the frame. If it reads "J...RC46..." then it's definitely a 6th Gen, with VTEC. The earlier models didn't have ABS.

RXZ NSR150SP SV650 CBR400RR GSXR1000 FZ6S VFR800 CBR1000RR R1200GS

Galant ES 2.4A Civic Si 2.0A

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the GIVI PLXR166 (quick-removable side racks) online. The total cost was slightly more than 250USD shipped to my doorstep. Here is what's included in the package (sans the carrying bag):

PC240442_M.jpg

Installation was a breeze; all I needed was two spanners and some metric allen keys. However the rear crossbar didn't line up nicely with the license plate bracket, so I could not secure everything together using the included bolts and nuts. Instead I had to mount the license plate using zip-ties and foam mounting tape. But I think having some free-play is actually better because the tolerances are very tight and it's a pain to get everything lined up.

This video made by a Canadian dude helped a lot:

[video=youtube;5igF7Ek-5hE]

After that, I bought used V35 cases from a fellow SBF forumer. They're not cheap (even when used) but definitely worth the money IMHO. I can put my OGK FF5 (M size) in it with careful positioning and a very slight squeeze. That said, I've been wanting to replace the FF5, so I'll be shopping for a good full face helmet which can fit inside the V35 without squeezing. So if you see a guy trying to fit various helmets into a V35 in the next couple of weeks, that's probably me. :cheeky:

The side cases make the bike much wider than the mirrors, so I had to be much more careful when squeezing through peak hour traffic. The funny thing is drivers seem to start giving me a wide berth. Perhaps they are equally worried that my side cases might hit them?

And here are some pics of the final product, taken with an iPhone 4 and edited in Paint so pardon the image quality.

IMG_0656_M.jpg IMG_0653_M.jpg IMG_0657_M.jpg IMG_0655_M.jpg IMG_0654_M.jpg

Edited by rhema83
Uploaded Pictures

• 2 weeks later...
It is probably a 2002 6th Gen, as Honda had to start building them way ahead of the launch date in order to releasing them en masse to the market. Check the frame number stamped on the right side of the frame. If it reads "J...RC46..." then it's definitely a 6th Gen, with VTEC. The earlier models didn't have ABS.

Confirmed Gen 6 based on that check of chassis number. And also indeed confirmed VTEC after a little enthousiastic use of my right wrist :-)

Thanks for the tip

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the GIVI PLXR166 (quick-removable side racks) online. The total cost was slightly more than 250USD shipped to my doorstep. Here is what's included in the package (sans the carrying bag):

The side cases make the bike much wider than the mirrors, so I had to be much more careful when squeezing through peak hour traffic. The funny thing is drivers seem to start giving me a wide berth. Perhaps they are equally worried that my side cases might hit them?

And here are some pics of the final product, taken with an iPhone 4 and edited in Paint so pardon the image quality.

Looks nice and these boxes also look bigger than my OEM boxes although they always surprise me cause can fit my flip up FF helmet and raincoat with some squeezing. Whats the total width of your bike with boxes now? I'll be looking to fit a top box also just so I can take off the side boxes for normal day to day use (with squeezing) and the side boxes for long range trips with more luggage.

Looks nice and these boxes also look bigger than my OEM boxes although they always surprise me cause can fit my flip up FF helmet and raincoat with some squeezing. Whats the total width of your bike with boxes now? I'll be looking to fit a top box also just so I can take off the side boxes for normal day to day use (with squeezing) and the side boxes for long range trips with more luggage.

The V35 case can fit a full-face helmet quite easily. The trick is not to put your helmet upright (i.e. bottom of the helmet facing the floor) but to put it on its side (bottom of the helmet facing the bike, tilted slightly upwards; face shield facing the rear of the bike). There is definitely enough space left for a rain suit and gloves.

I didn't measure the width of the bike with a measuring tape; each side is wider than the mirror by about 15-20cm. Whenever I squeeze between cars I play it safe and make sure that I have enough clearance. When in doubt, just slow down and wait for a bigger gap to open up. So far my daily commute on the TPE/CTE takes only a couple of minutes more, but my fuel consumption has gone slightly up due to more frequent braking and acceleration (i.e. brake when the gap is too small, wait, and accelerate through when it opens up enough).

The V35 case can fit a full-face helmet quite easily. The trick is not to put your helmet upright (i.e. bottom of the helmet facing the floor) but to put it on its side (bottom of the helmet facing the bike, tilted slightly upwards; face shield facing the rear of the bike). There is definitely enough space left for a rain suit and gloves.

I didn't measure the width of the bike with a measuring tape; each side is wider than the mirror by about 15-20cm. Whenever I squeeze between cars I play it safe and make sure that I have enough clearance. When in doubt, just slow down and wait for a bigger gap to open up. So far my daily commute on the TPE/CTE takes only a couple of minutes more, but my fuel consumption has gone slightly up due to more frequent braking and acceleration (i.e. brake when the gap is too small, wait, and accelerate through when it opens up enough).

I had to get used to the additional width also... unfortunately scraped one of my boxes on a wall already as I wasn't thinking of it but luckily just a scratch. As for fuel consumption... I don't want to look too much... the 45 clicks I managed to do on a liter of petrol with my first bike (CBR150) is well out of reach now, but then, I get much more enjoyment from the VFR power in return :-)

• 2 months later...
Can anyone share if it is possible to install top box to VFR (gen 6) when it already has the OEM panniers attached? Any suggestions / preferences for brand and where to best get it from?

Thanks!

So, after establishing my VFR is in fact Gen 6, my original question still comes back. Anyone know of a top box rack that can be attached while already having OEM side panniers? Already confirmed cannot fit GIVI after visits to LAB and Mah's. Welcome any suggestions for alternative brands or solutions so I can still fit a top box. Thanks!

So, after establishing my VFR is in fact Gen 6, my original question still comes back. Anyone know of a top box rack that can be attached while already having OEM side panniers? Already confirmed cannot fit GIVI after visits to LAB and Mah's. Welcome any suggestions for alternative brands or solutions so I can still fit a top box. Thanks!

How about SWMotech Rack for VFR800?The aluminium rack will be using the 4 mounting point from the passenger handles.[ATTACH=CONFIG]273262[/ATTACH]

How about SWMotech Rack for VFR800?The aluminium rack will be using the 4 mounting point from the passenger handles.[ATTACH=CONFIG]273262[/ATTACH]

Looks like that may do the trick, thanks! Any tips on what shop in Singapore may sell this?

Thanks for the tip, I saw the website but it says out of stock now. Also saw that Chiap Lee is the official distributor for SW-Motech. Will drop by their shop and see what they can do... If they cannot deliver, i may buy it during one of my Europe trips later this year

• 4 months later...

Just to update all on this top box combo with OEM side panniers. I recently received my SW-Motech rack and with some help have attached so now can start looking for top box to attach. See pics for the rack if anyone interested. [ATTACH=CONFIG]286236[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]286237[/ATTACH]

Next will be the selection of top box - will be reviewing Givi selection available in sgp - any other suggestions besides Mah's?

• 1 month later...
Just to update all on this top box combo with OEM side panniers. I recently received my SW-Motech rack and with some help have attached so now can start looking for top box to attach. See pics for the rack if anyone interested. [ATTACH=CONFIG]286236[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]286237[/ATTACH]

Next will be the selection of top box - will be reviewing Givi selection available in sgp - any other suggestions besides Mah's?

Update as I have added my top box, see pics as attached:

rack and box 2.jpgrack and box 1.jpg

Pretty happy with this configuration and new Givi box looks ok and can fit 2 helmets. Now I remove my side panniers unless I need them and can filter in traffic much easier

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Need some advice for those with factory panniers.Do you encounter any issue at woodlands checkpoint with the width of yr panniers?

Do NOT go to the automatic biometric lanes, both Woodlands and Tuas. They are very narrow and your panniers WILL hit the barriers on both sides and end up terribly scratched. Even the manual lanes may pose a challenge. Try to take the very first lane.

Do NOT go to the automatic biometric lanes, both Woodlands and Tuas. They are very narrow and your panniers WILL hit the barriers on both sides and end up terribly scratched. Even the manual lanes may pose a challenge. Try to take the very first lane.

I managed to squeeze past biometric lanes for woodlands checkpoint, nevertheless it was a close shave where I was left with just few MM before my panniers end up scratched.

I managed to squeeze past biometric lanes for woodlands checkpoint, nevertheless it was a close shave where I was left with just few MM before my panniers end up scratched.

Are you talking about the one inbound from JB, where you need to go out of a metal gate on the left side? That one the panniers can barely make it. I tried it before successfully but would prefer not to unless the jam is very bad. On the other hand, the automatic lanes which require you to keep right when you reach Woodlands checkpoint (both inbound and outbound) are NO NO. I also tried before and ended up with bad scratches.

Even Tuas checkpoint, the automatic lanes are too narrow for the panniers. The manual lanes are also tight, except the leftmost lane.

Glad to put that "painful" history behind. Ride safe!

Coming back in from JB through woodlands taking that left exit past metal fence I can manage with side panniers (both the tight turn in as well as the normal automated gates) but going out from woodlands the slip road to the automated gates further down is very narrow and I hit the sides twice before with some major scratches as a result. Tuas seems manageable for automated gates but you still have to be very careful. Most of the time I don't use my side panniers as they hamper my filtering in Singapore and I do not need them for short rides into JB. I reserve them for longer trips into Msia.