SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Box, Side Panniers Related Issue

Guest maxx_5

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rack (the two metal rods) are NOT of Coocase brand (Don't know what brand). When I bought my Coocase, it is the 48L box and the metal base-plate below the box. Hope my explanation is clear. :)

Honda Phantom TA200, FV5349A (19/04/2005 - 28/06/2006)

Honda Super 4 Vtec 1, FS6537H (28/06/2006 - 13/02/2007)

Yamaha FJR1300 ABS, FBB661H (13/02/2007 - 31/05/2008)

Honda VFR800 ABS, FBB 404 J (31/05/2008 - 15/08/2009)

ADIVA AD 200, FBD 36 C (15/08/2009 - 13/05/2010, 1430hrs)

Yamaha FZ6N, FBA 7274 B (13/05/2010, 1430hrs - 03/05/2016, 1840hrs)

Yamaha FZ8, FBF 61*9 T (07/05/2016, 1130hrs - )

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi all,

Allow me to bring up this post.

I'm a new proud owner of a 2003 red vfr. It has been a lovely ride.

My next consideration is on the installing of side panniers. I have a few questions as follows:

On OEM side panniers

a) Anyone recently bought the OEM side panniers? If yes, through what source? Pl share.

On Givi V35

b) For the Givi V35, is it much wider that the OEM side panniers? Will the width of the panniers be wider than the front side mirrors?

c) Is there a differrence in quality if I buy the Givi V35 from LAB as compared to Mah/Motorworld (e.g. made in different places)?

Anyone who is using the V35 or has sufficient feedback on it, pl share your experiences with me.

On Top Box

d) Btw I also have a H & B top box (uninstalled yet as i do not have the rack), my question is whether a top box will affect the handling of this bike?

Thank you bros (sis if any) and cheers!

Edited by john2

On Top Box

d) Btw I also have a H & B top box (uninstalled yet as i do not have the rack), my question is whether a top box will affect the handling of this bike?

john2,

I have a H&B Junior 40lt top case on my ride.

Installed with original H&B top case rack built for 6th Gen, you can try calling m-technic and see if they have stock, else they can order for you.

Riding with top case does not affect bike handling in my opinion.

Ever tried fully loaded runs on NSHW with and without pillion and had no problem with it affecting handling whatsoever.

The only concern I might have with the setup is the rack, it ONLY mounts onto the 4 grab rail bolts. Looks weak, but no issue till date.

john2,

I have a H&B Junior 40lt top case on my ride.

Installed with original H&B top case rack built for 6th Gen, you can try calling m-technic and see if they have stock, else they can order for you.

Riding with top case does not affect bike handling in my opinion.

Ever tried fully loaded runs on NSHW with and without pillion and had no problem with it affecting handling whatsoever.

The only concern I might have with the setup is the rack, it ONLY mounts onto the 4 grab rail bolts. Looks weak, but no issue till date.

Hi RaVon,

Thanks for the sharing on the h & b top box, appreciated

(btw the forum seemed to have quiet down quite a lot, was so glad when you responded, hahaha...).

I contacted m-technic, was quoted $220 and the order takes 3 weeks. I'll proceed with the order soon after hearing your positive experiences.

Btw are you using any side panniers?? Any experiences to share??

Cheers!

Hi RaVon,

Thanks for the sharing on the h & b top box, appreciated

(btw the forum seemed to have quiet down quite a lot, was so glad when you responded, hahaha...).

I contacted m-technic, was quoted $220 and the order takes 3 weeks. I'll proceed with the order soon after hearing your positive experiences.

Btw are you using any side panniers?? Any experiences to share??

Cheers!

john2,

Its generally quieter here, guess most of them are busy with their work...

Price quoted was cheaper than mine, and my order took almost a month...

Side panniers,

I used to have the H&B 40lt Junior Series panniers on my 6th Gen, mounted on H&B racks built for 6th Gen.

Looks wise, its definitely more "bulky" compared to oem panniers due to the design of the H&B panniers.

Fully loaded 2 x 40lts + 45lts top case + pillion, I manage to cruise comfortably at 160-180km/h.

Weight distribution is off, feels more rear heavy. Handling wise, due to weight, slightly affected, but neglible.

I'm now on oem panniers.

Looks better, flows with the bike better, but lesser storage space(35lt ea) compared to H&B(40lt ea).

Haven't had the chance to pair the oem with top case combination, so no comments on that yet.

Johnny, how are you enjoying the ride? By the way, I'm going for a day trip to KL if you're interested in tagging along.

By the way, Ravon's right. The bike feels a bit rear heavy when you have side panniers but otherwise, there is no issue once you get used to it.

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"

Johnny, how are you enjoying the ride? By the way, I'm going for a day trip to KL if you're interested in tagging along.

By the way, Ravon's right. The bike feels a bit rear heavy when you have side panniers but otherwise, there is no issue once you get used to it.

Hey bro,

Getting better with each ride as I become more familiar with it.

Will next send the bike for a routine maintainance (maybe valve clearance/tuning). Deciding b/w Boon Siew (for this time) or your bike doc Ah Chiang. Btw I also know Ah Chiang well and we did spoke about you recently.

The KL trip sounds fun but I can't leave this period.

As for the side panniers, I'm now in two minds. The side panniers will blend in well with this sexy monster but lane splitting and parking space taken is a bit of concern. On the other hand, if by using a top box alone, it will compromise the sex appeal of this babe.

Cheers!

Hi Johnny...

My 2-cents if its worth anything.

Recently I had a minor accident, a young driver came out from a parallel parking without seeing me.

I swerved, but my bulky HB side Juniors didn't clear his head-lamps, results...

the car's head-lamp went flying, so did my side panniers.

However, besides the rear locking mechanism gave way, the box was perfect( less scratches). I swapped the rear lock mech and top mech.

IMHO, if you want top-notch durability. HB...

If anyone is reading this...I am shouting for a get together sooooon...I am also a new viffer-owner!

rgds.

LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY:thumb:

Hi Johnny...

My 2-cents if its worth anything.

Recently I had a minor accident, a young driver came out from a parallel parking without seeing me.

I swerved, but my bulky HB side Juniors didn't clear his head-lamps, results...

the car's head-lamp went flying, so did my side panniers.

However, besides the rear locking mechanism gave way, the box was perfect( less scratches). I swapped the rear lock mech and top mech.

IMHO, if you want top-notch durability. HB...

If anyone is reading this...I am shouting for a get together sooooon...I am also a new viffer-owner!

rgds.

Hi celeb44,

Thanks for responding.

What an unfortunate encounter you had. But I'm glad to hear that you are ok and the bike also did not suffer injury.

I'm indeed thinking hard now between Givi side panniers and a H & B top box. Ordinarily I do not need to ride in the jam but for last few days I have to as I'm attending a course elsewhere. I could lane splt with ease and it makes me ponder how am i going to manage it if I have the side panniers on. Hmmm???

I would love to join in if there is a get-together. In fact (no offence intended) I'm quite surprised with the low responses to my appeal for information sharing on the panniers other than hearing from Ravon, Black bandit and yourself.

Cheers!

Yep...

its true with side panniers, weaving thru' traffic is a challenge.

I even got the other side of my panniers scratched while going thru' the customs.

For that, maybe you can stick with HB top box. But IMHO, side pannies looks best on viffers... lol

then lets get the meeting going then.

add me on FB. [email protected]

mayb we can kopi soon, I am abt to fix a 2 BRO exhaust and hopefully a stage 1 soon, you can be my first audience!

rgds

LIVE TO RIDE ANOTHER DAY:thumb:

I'm onz for a meetup too. I'm using oem honda panniers. got scratch while squeezin thru a pavement with fence..

usually I'll remove the panniers if I go jb pump.

My Rides:

[Jan03 - NSR150SP]

[Mar04 - RVF400RT]

[Apr05 - PIAGGIO X8]

[sep05 - YZF-R6]

[May07 - SilverWing]

[Apr10 - VFR800 ABS]

[Dec10 - Tmax]

Yep...

its true with side panniers, weaving thru' traffic is a challenge.

I even got the other side of my panniers scratched while going thru' the customs.

For that, maybe you can stick with HB top box. But IMHO, side pannies looks best on viffers... lol

then lets get the meeting going then.

add me on FB. [email protected]

mayb we can kopi soon, I am abt to fix a 2 BRO exhaust and hopefully a stage 1 soon, you can be my first audience!

rgds

Sorry for the late response.

1) I'm not active in FB. However I'm open to contact thru HP. Sent you a PM.

2) Currently not as 'on' in trips cos tied down by kids. But nevertheless I'm still a bike enthusiast. Feel free to share information.

Cheers!

Edited by john2

I'm onz for a meetup too. I'm using oem honda panniers. got scratch while squeezin thru a pavement with fence..

usually I'll remove the panniers if I go jb pump.

Hi leo,

Did u recently purchase the OEM panniers? Give me some info if you had.

Otherwise, I maybe going for the Givi V35 very soon.

Cheers!

Hi leo,

Did u recently purchase the OEM panniers? Give me some info if you had.

Otherwise, I maybe going for the Givi V35 very soon.

Cheers!

i did not.. i got it tgt with the bike from shop. but heard it cost ard $2k for them and the rack.. :faint:

My Rides:

[Jan03 - NSR150SP]

[Mar04 - RVF400RT]

[Apr05 - PIAGGIO X8]

[sep05 - YZF-R6]

[May07 - SilverWing]

[Apr10 - VFR800 ABS]

[Dec10 - Tmax]

• 2 months later...

I have emailed davidsilverspares a couple of days ago and looks like the current price for OEM VFR panniers with full mounting kit is GBP 510.64 shipping via UPS is another GBP128.29 so total is GBP638.93 that is roughly around SGP$1,320.63!

Wished I had the moola to get it now :cry:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/WingZer0/Interceptor/TailLight-1.jpg

I have emailed davidsilverspares a couple of days ago and looks like the current price for OEM VFR panniers with full mounting kit is GBP 510.64 shipping via UPS is another GBP128.29 so total is GBP638.93 that is roughly around SGP$1,320.63!

Wished I had the moola to get it now :cry:

This is the cheapest deal I've heard of - all in for OEM panniers.

Are u confirmed about the quote? Are there other charges?

I'm prepared to on the deal if it is true. Do share with me more if you are sure. I can also be reached at hp: 97548482.

Cheers bro!

This is the cheapest deal I've heard of - all in for OEM panniers.

Are u confirmed about the quote? Are there other charges?

I'm prepared to on the deal if it is true. Do share with me more if you are sure. I can also be reached at hp: 97548482.

Cheers bro!

Yes bro....that is correct....I only need to confirm with them my colour code....and send them the $$$$ (or charge it with credit card) and the will ship it over......you can try sending a mail to http://www.davidsilverspares.com

Anyway that final price of SGP$1320.63 will probably fluctuated a few dollars depends on the exchange rates....but currently the SGD is now very strong so its a good time to order from abroad.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/WingZer0/Interceptor/TailLight-1.jpg

Yes bro....that is correct....I only need to confirm with them my colour code....and send them the $$$$ (or charge it with credit card) and the will ship it over......you can try sending a mail to http://www.davidsilverspares.com

Anyway that final price of SGP$1320.63 will probably fluctuated a few dollars depends on the exchange rates....but currently the SGD is now very strong so its a good time to order from abroad.

Bro, mind to sms me your contact. Hope to speak to u to find out more on the order process.

Btw, i called Mah Motor sat morning to enquire about their Givi V35 panniers (with colour) - was quoted $1130 with rack. $780 for panniers and $350 for rack. I thought that is ex. I enquired about 2 months ago and they were out of stock back then, i remembered back then the quote to me was much cheaper???

If the OEM panniers are around $1320, then I think the choice is obvious instead of going for the substitute.

Edited by john2

2002 Mar - 2002 May (NSR125 Hornet)

2002 May - 2003 June (Phantom 200)

2003 July - 2008 Sept (CB400 Spec 2)

2008 Oct - 2011 Mar (VFR800 Gen 6th Vtec)

2012 Nov - 2013 Apr (VFR800 Gen 5th Non-Vtec)

2013 Feb - 2014 Feb (CBR929 Firebladdie 2002)

2011 Feb - ?????? (DRZ400 SM K9) & 2011 June - ?????? (FZ1000S Gen 1 2002)

I wrote in and this was the response (abstract by portion):

- "Panniers including mounting frames = £510.64, carriage is £203.64. Delivery time is 7-10 days approximately."

- "Prices exclude VAT @ 17.5% (if applicable) and postage"

By calculation, the former already cost about @$1500/-. If we add another 17.5%, i.e. about $260/- (I'm not sure if it is applicable) as well as postage fee, that would easily add up to another few hundred dollars more.

The total package would have been far from the estimated $1300/-.

You may wish to re-work the deal and factor in the additional charges (unless I got the sum all wrong).

Anybody out there who is familiar with such order may wish to share / advise.

Cheers!

Edited by john2

Hi guys,

Just read this thread & allow me to share my experience. I ordered the panniers and the inner bags from Davidsilverspares & they arrived within a week. I ordered the same for Bowler too...this happened about 3years ago (I think). The colour was silver as it was on promotion (my bike is black, but the black OEM panniers cost more), so i had to send in for spray at Ong & Son (Defu Lane). Price of OEM panniers (including installation) at Motorworld/Boon Siew was about $2.2k (at that time). Total price I paid (including freight, re-spray, inner bags, brackets) was about $1.1k. Good deal eh? :)