SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Hi all, here's an excel file that calculates petrol savings everytime you pump at GP Esso. Some of you might remember me posting this file a while back, i refined it to make it more user friendly with more updated information on petrol prices.

This chart includes:

1. Toll charges for Singapore side to and fro

2. Toll for M'sian highway

3. Petrol consumption every time you travel to GP Esso.

To use this chart you need to key in 3 pieces of information; your bike petrol consumption in km per litre of petrol, your fuel tank capacity, and the total distance from where you are to GP Esso and back (remember to include the 11km of U'turn from GP Esso to Bandar Nuasajaya exit and back to M'sian customs.)

Hope this benefits some riders here, especially those who frequently pump through 2nd link. There have been cases where there is actually a deficit instead of a saving due to the long travelling distance.

Also do let me know what else should be fine tuned. I'll work on it.:thumb:

Sitting on my hands... Must... Not... Rebutt...!! ARGH~!@

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think cell C37 = B16 * B22

instead of C37 = B30 * B22

resulting in more savings as we do not have to travel xx km to gp esso.

and your toll calculation is wrong, it shld be..

rm1.30 + rm1.30 + rm1.39(sg0.60) + rm1.39(sg0.60) = rm5.38/sg2.32

exchange rate conversion for toll is also wrong (wrong * to convert to ringgit instead of divide)

uploaded my version, any errors let me know petrol savings

(fill up the yellow boxes)

i love dividends.

Originally posted by onefour02@Aug 20 2006, 07:23 PM

uploaded my version, any errors let me know petrol savings

(fill up the yellow boxes)

i think cell C37 = B16 * B22

instead of C37 = B30 * B22

resulting in more savings as we do not have to travel xx km to gp esso.

i dun agree.

and your toll calculation is wrong, it shld be..

rm1.30 + rm1.30 + rm1.39(sg0.60) + rm1.39(sg0.60) = rm5.38/sg2.32

exchange rate conversion for toll is also wrong (wrong * to convert to ringgit instead of divide)

changes done. thank u. file updated.

Originally posted by feng125@Aug 20 2006, 11:55 PM

i dun agree.

maybe you shld double check.

using ur spreadsheet:

petrol pumped is calculated both at (eg. 13litres)

when it shld be:

(eg. 15litres) in singapore and (eg. 13litres) in malaysia

i believe u did not offset the cost of travelling.

(as in singapore petrol kiosk are mostly just along the way home)

correct?

my petrol savings spreadsheet

i love dividends.

Originally posted by onefour02@Aug 21 2006, 08:41 AM

maybe you shld double check.

i already double checked. :smile:

thank you for your feedback, i have my reasons for my calculations. i shall not go into details.

• 2 weeks later...

Good work.

But you did not include another cost of the round trip.

For example, for a typical 1000cc machine with sporty tyres, one set would last perhaps 10,000kms with mixed riding (highway, town, occasional trackday). At $450 a pair, thats $0.045 cents per km, or for my case, a round trip of 80km, thats $3.60.

Then theres engine oil, 4 bottles of semi synthetic engine oil costs $60, changed every 5000km, thats $0.012cents per km, or $0.96 per 80km round trip.

So thats an additional $4.56. Not including other wear and tear parts, chain n sprocket, regular servicing like oil filter, air filter, wheel bearings, brake pads, valve clearance etc, it all adds up.

I know this sounds very calculative, but it all adds up. Of course, wear and tear, servicing intervals and costs vary from bike to bike, and varys according to riding style.

Originally posted by nE0@Sep 5 2006, 04:24 PM

Good work.

For example, for a typical 1000cc machine with sporty tyres, one set would last perhaps 10,000kms with mixed riding (highway, town, occasional trackday). At $450 a pair, thats $0.045 cents per km, or for my case, a round trip of 80km, thats $3.60.

Then theres engine oil, 4 bottles of semi synthetic engine oil costs $60, changed every 5000km, thats $0.012cents per km, or $0.96 per 80km round trip.

So thats an additional $4.56. Not including other wear and tear parts, chain n sprocket, regular servicing like oil filter, air filter, wheel bearings, brake pads, valve clearance etc, it all adds up.

I know this sounds very calculative, but it all adds up. Of course, wear and tear, servicing intervals and costs vary from bike to bike, and varys according to riding style.

yes ! very precise indeed !

This is the right way to calculate if wanna go fine into details !

Not forgetting the time to travel ??how much opportunity cost u incur per hr??

Take ur pay divided into per hr etc etc ........................

KAWASAKI KIPS F* XX *

KAWASAKI ZX-10R FY3946Z (26 Oct 07 - 23 Jan 10)

YAMAHA RD350LC FS4160Z

1996 Honda Civic SiR EK4

1993 Honda Civic Vti EG6 SBZ2065P 1993 Honda Civic Vti EG9 SBX9073E 2002 MB E200 SDT6931X

1991 MB 200E SBT2703M

1986 MB 280SE EZ8138M 1992 Toyota Cressida SBU1756L

1992 MB 280SE SBU6143Y

http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/05/16/bikepics-589321-full.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Good work.

semi oil cost 60 bucks for 4 bottle....

what oil is it????

normally onli cost abt 12 per bottle le

Originally posted by Cool79@Oct 1 2006, 03:17 AM

semi oil cost 60 bucks for 4 bottle....

what oil is it????

normally onli cost abt 12 per bottle le

Well, oil prices can range from $5/litre gear oil to $25/litre high quality fully synthetic engine oil.

$60 per oil change is a suggested price only. You can insert your own price here, no worries :smile:

Good work.

lol.. need to count until like that.. park ur bike at carpark dun move save the most $$ ba

During the Japanese Occupation, 3 Singaporeans, Ah Meng, Ah Seng and Ah Beng were caught for smuggling. They were sentenced to death by firing squad.

That night, Ah Meng came up with a plan. He told the others that the Japanese were afraid of natural disasters. So he would cause them to panic, and escape in the confusion.

The next morning, Ah Meng was led to the wall. The firing squad was lined up and the Captain commanded, "Ready.. Aim..", but before he could complete, Ah Meng shouted, " Earthquake!! Earthquake!" The Japanese soldiers panicked and Ah Meng made his escape.

Later, the soldiers took Ah Seng out and the firing squad were ready. The captain commanded, "Ready... Aim..." This time Ah Seng shouted. " Flood! Flood!!" Again, the Japanese soldiers panicked and this time, Ah Seng made his escape.

Observing all this, Ah Beng began to get the idea. "It's important to get the timing right."

Soon, it was Ah Beng's turn. "Timing, that's the key.." Ah Beng kept saying to himself. The soldiers lined up in front of him. The captain started, "Ready..."

"Timing," Ah Beng thought to himself

"Aim..."

"Okay," thought Ah Beng, and shouted, " FIRE!!! FIRE!!!

Originally posted by Fufu26@Oct 2 2006, 05:36 PM

lol.. need to count until like that.. park ur bike at carpark dun move save the most $$ ba

I think nE0 is trying to point out the futility of counting petrol savings by travelling all the way to Malaysia, as it adds up to a zero sum game.

People tend to look only at absolute figures, and rarely look into all the other hidden (but real) costs.

Past: KDX200, LC4 400, LC4 620, GSXR750WR

Present: CBR900RRY, Gas Gas EC250, XR250L, XR250RV, XR400 (motard-ed), NX650 Dominator

Thanks ulysses_sc..

Yes, running costs of a bike, a regularly properly serviced one that is, is much higher than it seems, especially for bigger bikes.

But thats cost per mileage. A bike sitting there costs money too.

For example, for a fairly new litre bike,

Insurance - $1000/year, or $2.739 per day

Road Tax - $320/year, or $0.876 per day

Parking - $15/month, or $0.50 per day

So thats erm, $4.12 per day, sitting there doing nothing. :thumb:

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by nE0@Oct 3 2006, 11:26 PM

Thanks ulysses_sc..

Yes, running costs of a bike, a regularly properly serviced one that is, is much higher than it seems, especially for bigger bikes.

But thats cost per mileage. A bike sitting there costs money too.

For example, for a fairly new litre bike,

Insurance - $1000/year, or $2.739 per day

Road Tax - $320/year, or $0.876 per day

Parking - $15/month, or $0.50 per day

So thats erm, $4.12 per day, sitting there doing nothing. :thumb:

actually i DID take the tires and engine oil into consideration before. i even took time calculations into effect by taking my monthly wages divided into hourly proportions.

unfortunately those apply only to me, bcos i myself know how long i use my tires and how often i change engine oil. everyone else has their own parameters. thus its rather pointless to add that into a general calculation meant for the masses.

as for the futility of the calculation presented; i should state that this file was done to enlighten the riders who frenquently do petrol-runs into GP esso, thinking that they are saving a large amount every month, when in fact they are not. Some have shown that they are losing money instead since they travel from Bedok to GP Esso on a 1200cc petrol guzzler.

so our aims are the same: we want to pass the message that we are not benefitting as much as we think we are by going to 2nd link for petrol. :thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

i didnt know that we werent benefitting as much as pumping at m'sia.

i havent pumped a single time in m'sia though, i just dont wanna waste time to and fro thats all.

Sep'04 - Nov'05 (1yr, 2mths): NSR150SP (FR2577Z)

Nov'05 - Dec'06 (1yr, 1mths): GSX400R (FJ6410L)

Dec'06 - Sep'08 (1yr, 9mths): CBR929RR (FS3851U)

Sep'08 - Mar'12 (3yr, 5mths): TA200 (FV4581B)

Mar'12 - ???????????????????: GL200R (FBE5662G)

agree with quizesilver,dun really so details on saving petrol,

as long gov dun block bikers fr top up in jb can ready,always waiting 4 my bike petrol

tank to turn reserve and go jb to top up and enjoy the riding with unlimited

speed..he he he.. can be done only at 2nd link..1st link cannot speed a lot vehicle and

everytime face traffic jamm..hate 1st link..