SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

My Shadow got prob...

alfteo

Thanks Nights for the suggestion, actually i was at Rosli yesterday and he mentioned something abt it takes a while for the engine to pick up fuel from "fuel" to "reserve". Thats a little unnerving isn't it.....imagine travelling on the extreme lane on the highway and the u feel jerky as u run out of petrol on the "fuel" tap......u proceed to turn to "reserve"...but ur engine might still stall as it takes sometime for the petrol to flow to the carb......would I make it in time to the shoulder to wait?

the incident that i experience last friday thankfully didn;t resurface these past few days and i'm inclined to think that it is probably caused by low/no fuel.... dun think i would wanna try to run dry on "fuel" and turn to "reserve" again.....nver know which part of the road I may be on.....

Going to get my button fixed so that i can toggle between trip mileage and odometer....

Thanks Nights....

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it takes a while to switch from 'fuel' to 'reserve', but not dat long dat u will stall la.. haha.. if u'r travelling at say 100kph, u may well drop to 80kph lidat den feel e power come back, but i dun think its dat serious la..

Originally posted by maniahk@Dec 19 2006, 07:44 PM

it takes a while to switch from 'fuel' to 'reserve', but not dat long dat u will stall la.. haha.. if u'r travelling at say 100kph, u may well drop to 80kph lidat den feel e power come back, but i dun think its dat serious la..

bro i agree.....that it should not take so long.... but i dun koe wat happened that night.... i tried recalling but everything happened so fast.....all i remembered was i turned half circle... and was twisting like crazy and it still stalled.....

Is it possible that my reserve was on empty as well? anyone got a cross section of how the fuel and reserve than look like?

I'm thinking mebbe if i were to drain most of the petrol out of the tank.... then mebbe i can ride in a quiet stretch till the jerk start coming on....at least its a controlled experiment... just need a long quiet road that i can ride safely.....

any suggestions anyone?

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

About the fuel reserve, it's unnerving when the engine starts to splutter and stalls. Yup, happen to me a few times 'cos I was totally unprepared. Imagine trying to overtake the bus and the bike does that to you :mad:

In the mean time of spluttering and stalling, my mind goes blank. All the possibilities come out why it has stalled and of all things, switching to reserve is the last that comes to my mind :sian:

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Originally posted by adriel@Dec 19 2006, 11:00 PM

Hey Adriel...

bro i agree.....that it should not take so long.... but i dun koe wat happened that night.... i tried recalling but everything happened so fast.....all i remembered was i turned half circle... and was twisting like crazy and it still stalled.....

>> It will stall if you waited too long. Wat Rosli was trying to explain was...

1. Your fuel line (pipe from tank to carb) is already empty.

2. Fuel in carb getting lesser and lesser (jerking, jerking)

3. You switch to reserve. At the same time, no more fuel in your carb (engine dies) and fuel is just starting to flow from the tank through the fuel line to the carb.

In this situation, try to keep to the left or head to the shoulder. If you can, clutch in so your speed wont drop so drastically, but this will reduce control of your bike. At the same time crank your engine while clutching in.

If your going down hill, you can try using the push start method. Just release your clutch and throttle up a little to try and get the engine started again using its own momentum.

Is it possible that my reserve was on empty as well? anyone got a cross section of how the fuel and reserve than look like?

>> It could be that your fuel tap was set on reserve in the first place and your fuel in the tank was really low. Have you try and take a look at the marking on the fuel tap (ON, RES, OFF)? Your tank dun really have a "main" and "reserve" section. Its basically the fuel tap. Take a look at this picture and see if you understand...

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7755/newpicturemi1.jpg

Short pipe = RES

Long pipe = ON

So when your fuel runs low in your tank and fall below the "ON" pipe, no more fuel flow. Switch to "RES" and fuel will flow through the short pipe. Something like that.

**Do note that the above diagram is the simplest way a fuel tap works. Others might differ but the jist of it is similar.

I'm thinking mebbe if i were to drain most of the petrol out of the tank.... then mebbe i can ride in a quiet stretch till the jerk start coming on....at least its a controlled experiment... just need a long quiet road that i can ride safely.....

>> Not necessary bro. The next time your bike starts jerking, switch to "RES" right away.

And make sure you set the tap to the "ON" position everytime you refuel.

The fuel tap is a way of telling you that your bike is running low on fuel. Some bikes do not have fuel taps because they have fuel gauge (Super 4 Vtec). Some like mine, has no fuel tap but has a little yellow light that lights up when it hits the reserve level.

Best is to rely on your trip meter as the fuel gauge. Try to find out how long you can run on a full tank before it hits the reserve. This way, everytime you're hitting that milage, you can be prepared to turn your fuel tap.

If you need more help, do look me up. You can find me at Rosli's on most late evenings (higher chance on Friday evenings where we will proceed to our usual meet up later in the night).

Hi William,

Thanks for the highly detailed explaination.

I just got my mileage button fixed (thanks to Isaac) and will start monitor the fuel to distance ratio..... if i remember correctly, the average is about 320km as discussed in the previous thread.....

Will take note as i approched that distance.....

thanks again... appreciate it....

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

Originally posted by adriel@Dec 20 2006, 12:42 PM

Hi William,

Thanks for the highly detailed explaination.

I just got my mileage button fixed (thanks to Isaac) and will start monitor the fuel to distance ratio..... if i remember correctly, the average is about 320km as discussed in the previous thread.....

Will take note as i approched that distance.....

thanks again... appreciate it....

adriel

Everyone learns from everyone .... I learnt from someone too, so just passing on the knowledge... :smile:

I will be sure to return the favour to someone else....

If anyone needs a fix for the shadow 400 odometer/trip mileage button ....PM me.... its a $3.30 fix....

Cheers

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

ya thats the one dreamwalk....

basically....open the chrome console and u will see the button is connected to some switch behind....if u pull the rubber covering the switch, u will see this small black round press button switch that is soldered to 2 wires..... basically, u just need to replace that black switch.... i found it easier to just cut the whole thing of and bring it along with me to sim lim tower to look for the switch....

the shop is located on the highest floor and look around ...i din take note of the name.,... u can ask them but most of them will say dun have..... so go in and have a look..... i have attached a pix of the switch here for ur reference.....

once u got it.... bring it down to the 2nd floor where there is an uncle sitting outside one of the shops.... he's got all kind of soldering equipment... etc.... i got him to solder the switch for me for $3....u can save tis $3 if u are good at soldering....

there u have it....$3.30 fix

Sorry not the best explanation....drop me a PM if u have any other questions

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

Originally posted by nights@Dec 19 2006, 12:40 PM

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/Start-4-fuelflow-lg.jpg

Wah... this pictures remind me last Malacca trip when I used-up my last drop from my petrol tank. And need to get some ml of petrol from a very kind sweeper Shadow riders to get to the petrol station few steps away ....

Sorry :offtopic:

VT250Z / Steed 400 / Dragstar 400 /Shadow 400 / VMax 1200

1992 -----1996--------1999-----------2003-----------2006 ..|

//ameblo.jp/grassmere

Originally posted by grassmere@Dec 21 2006, 07:45 PM

Wah... this pictures remind me last Malacca trip when I used-up my last drop from my petrol tank. And need to get some ml of petrol from a very kind sweeper Shadow riders to get to the petrol station few steps away ....

Sorry :offtopic:

Don't worry, it's a good experience. It's not every time that I can match speed with a V-Max :sweat:

Back to topic, I didn't expect it was a simple fix-it job. Just solder the switch back.

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric2/414133.png

Originally posted by gohjohan@Dec 22 2006, 09:17 AM

Don't worry, it's a good experience. It's not every time that I can match speed with a V-Max :sweat:

Back to topic, I didn't expect it was a simple fix-it job. Just solder the switch back.

ya...me too.... asked one of the shops if there was a fix for it and the guy said to get a new console for it.... and guess how much was it........$260 :giddy: :giddy: :giddy:

$3.30 to $260.... u go do the maths....

haha

Thanks Isaac for the tip.....

adriel

I . L . T . N . N