SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Jerky at 2nd gear

adriel

Hi all... .was trying out a shadow ACE 400 yesterday and upon shifting to 2nd gear and opening wide throttle, the bike will hesitate, jerk amd pick up again....

is this normal?

Owner was saying that it is quite common among shadow....

It feel like the bike isn't getting the fuel or the mixture is just out ....

any advice bros???

Thanks

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 is above it man.. haha.. i rmbr reading here some time back some guy scored like 12km/litre fuel consumption.. u trying to break e record? haha..

49 i'm on 3rd or 4th gear on my dragstar liaoz depending on mood.. haha

Originally posted by maniahk@Dec 8 2006, 10:13 AM

49 is above it man.. haha.. i rmbr reading here some time back some guy scored like 12km/litre fuel consumption.. u trying to break e record? haha..

49 i'm on 3rd or 4th gear on my dragstar liaoz depending on mood.. haha

oops... sorry bro...i mean 30 - 40km/hr....edited the subject already......

have i "floored" it too hard???

I just suspect that it may be something worst...like fuel pump,

I . L . T . N . N

guess its a bit of getting used too.....last time ride x9.....just open till cannot open or when got vehicle in front.....depends which comes first........

hahahaha

I . L . T . N . N

Let me see if i got you right

The bike is jerky only in the 2nd gear as you open thrott ?

It sort of "coughs" a little then the power comes in?

You have a feeling of it being choked?

yes, fuel pump screwed, very likely. or airbox leakage (but unlikely)

Bikes are not mean to be jerky during throttling.

They may jerk if you clutch off at high revs but i'm sure you know the difference.

No such thing as getting use to something that is not right.

if you dont fix it, you will not be able to control your bike properly when the situation calls for it.

heed my advice:-

GET IT REPAIRED, SOMETHING IS WRONG

DONT RIDE IT UNTIL THEN

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

Originally posted by Throttle@Dec 8 2006, 11:00 AM

They may jerk if you clutch off at high revs but i'm sure you know the difference.

if you dont fix it, you will not be able to control your bike properly when the situation calls for it.

DONT RIDE IT UNTIL THEN

Hi Throttle,

Thats exactly how it feels like..... change 2nd gear....release clutch.... accelearate then the bike coughs....then come on power.....

if really fuel pump...how much will that set me back?

any bros got any experience??

thanks

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

Originally posted by adriel@Dec 8 2006, 01:06 PM

Hi Throttle,

Thats exactly how it feels like..... change 2nd gear....release clutch.... accelearate then the bike coughs....then come on power.....

if really fuel pump...how much will that set me back?

any bros got any experience??

thanks

adriel

If it's fuel-pump, the choking will happen in at any gear but you mentioned only at 2nd gear. It sounds like carb problem, but it still doesn't make sense why only at 2nd gear.

Nevertheless I fully agreed with throttle, that's not normal and you should not live with it. Don't ride until the problem is fixed.

:bounce:

Originally posted by dreamwalk@Dec 8 2006, 07:38 PM

Actually the problem may lie with your charging cable.

Open your right side cover and look for the charging cable. i think it's almost fried.

Rosli help me change it for abt 20 bucks.

I really dont think so,

Charging cable fried? that means your alternator or rectifier or battery c*** up causing wrong voltages to run thru the bike. problems would be hard starting or some electrical issues. Wouldnt cause jerky ride by throttling.

=====================================================

Adriel, i took it to mean that your ride is jerking every gear as you throttle but the feeling is the strongest at the 2nd gear.

Also open and look at your airbox, see if any cracks letting air escape.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

Originally posted by Demon@Dec 8 2006, 07:20 PM

If it's fuel-pump, the choking will happen in at any gear but you mentioned only at 2nd gear. It sounds like carb problem, but it still doesn't make sense why only at 2nd gear.

Nevertheless I fully agreed with throttle, that's not normal and you should not live with it. Don't ride until the problem is fixed.

:bounce:

Hi Demon,

I only manage to get it up to 2nd gear... testing in the carpark.....

will check it out again......

thanks

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

Originally posted by Throttle@Dec 8 2006, 08:59 PM

I really dont think so,

Charging cable fried? that means your alternator or rectifier or battery c*** up causing wrong voltages to run thru the bike. problems would be hard starting or some electrical issues. Wouldnt cause jerky ride by throttling.

=====================================================

Adriel, i took it to mean that your ride is jerking every gear as you throttle but the feeling is the strongest at the 2nd gear.

Also open and look at your airbox, see if any cracks letting air escape.

Hi Throttle

Will check that out..... hope its not too serious.......

will update u guys

ride safe

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

That jerky feeling.......... its the whole fuel & carburetor thingy.

A good mechanic will analyse & troubleshhot part by part.

First stop - the fuel line system. Any chokage from the fuel tank down to the fuel pump

to the fuel filter to the carbs.

2nd stop - carbs need servicing & tuning - checking the needle jets- does it need replacement? basically the carb need gud mechanic to look into it

3rd stop - balance the carbs - good fuel/air ratio - next to the plug system -> misfiring? maybe.

Pitstop - listen to the exhaust, does it sound kinda empty? Imean maybe its already been "tong". If its "tong" too much, the carbs need to re-jet & balance also.

This I learnt it the hard way tho. My old FL plate Steed last time happen this way. Stupid

mechanic who "tong" my exhaust too much that the bike always backfire & jerk. DUH!

Oh yes back to your question - 'any advice b4 u jump in?"

Bro, jump out, dun jump in. Or u'll get that jerky & jumpy feeling also.

:lol: :goodluck:

Disclaimer: me not fully qualified mechanic only amateur one. Send your bike to any qualified mechanic for troubleshooting. Better still send to Honda certified service centre. Unoe where lah. If watever i mention above differs from actual diagnostic, Isay again....me not qualified mechanic. :angel: :pity:

i koe bro... but $4500 none the less is still way steep.... no matter the mileage is so low.... many bros are looking at the almost 1k to renew the coe......

FQ left abt 1 1/2 years only....

adriel

I . L . T . N . N

Originally posted by Throttle@Dec 8 2006, 11:00 AM

DONT RIDE IT UNTIL THEN

hmm.. juz to side track abit, bikes do jerk if u decelerate quite alot but nv down-gear enuff rite? haha.. like u decelerated to say 20kph but on gear 3 or 4 but u try to open throttle.. coz i make tis mistake quite often still.. haha..

but anw my dragstar oso tends to jerk on 1st gear sometimes when moving off n i nv open throttle enuff.. feels like dragstar need to open slightly bigger throttle den will move off smooth one.. hah.. not so responsive to small throttles.. maybe coz of its weight n shaft drive.. when on the move i oso normally open some throttle first den release clutch for smoother transistion between gears..

hi maniahk.....i dun think this is such....wat u describe is like u are in the wrong gear... but wat i was saying is that the bike...cough a little after u change to 2nd... then as u accelaerate a bit more it becomes ok again.....din get a chance to go 3rd gear..onwrds

I . L . T . N . N

Seem like everyone have misinterpreted your query or rather should I said your description is not too clear with most of us. Beside, you may want to go up to a higher gear perhaps 3rd gear if you get the chance. (I wonder did you test ride the bike in the carpark?) If anyone of us gets the chance to test ride the bike for you, it might become a clearer picture and proper advice would be given. Otherwise, my suspect was not a jerk and cough as described but, rather kicking into 2nd gear at a low speed and rpm which, the engine is trying to pull to the appropriate speed and rpm. Nonetheless, we shall await the result of your next testing of the bike.

Cheers!

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.

Originally posted by nights@Dec 11 2006, 04:24 PM

Seem like everyone have misinterpreted your query or rather should I said your description is not too clear with most of us. Beside, you may want to go up to a higher gear perhaps 3rd gear if you get the chance. (I wonder did you test ride the bike in the carpark?) If anyone of us gets the chance to test ride the bike for you, it might become a clearer picture and proper advice would be given. Otherwise, my suspect was not a jerk and cough as described but, rather kicking into 2nd gear at a low speed and rpm which, the engine is trying to pull to the appropriate speed and rpm. Nonetheless, we shall await the result of your next testing of the bike.

Cheers!

Hi all.....

appreciate all ur comments and advice.... I do apologize if the description was too vague... i'm quite sure it is not a changing gear jerk as it felt like there was a choke on power for like 2 sec after which it started accelaerating again....all this time the throttle was on.....

anyway....

Wat would u guys choose.....

Option A) FP plate> COE ending July 2007 > mileage 122,000 km > Condition : Yet to be determine...still in shop > Price $3k (price before bargaining..fingers cross to get it lower)

or

Option B) FQ plate COE ending > Oct 2008 > mileage 114,000 km > Condition : jerkyness > Price $3,300

Once again it might be a little hard to decide as i do not have all the info..... lets put down some assumptions.

1. Option A> I get the shop to fix everything single small fault.... its my consumer rights isn't it??

2. Both bike outlook in good condition.

Once again thanks all the bros for their valuable input....

cheers

adriel

I . L . T . N . N