SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Running in new car engine

Pplater

Am collecting my car in 2 days from workshop after top overhaul due to blown gaskets. Had the piston rings changed as well. Am looking for reccomendation for cheap mineral oil that can be bought from off the shelf. Any bros can advise on this? Also, is there any seal or plug etc etc that needs to be changed together with EO and Oil Filter? Or is it the same as bike, engine oil and oil filter and nothing else?

Also, will mineral oil state "Mineral Oil" on the bottle? Or do I just look out that it did not state "Fully synthetic" or "Synthetic", and hence, must be mineral oil?

Secondly, I will have about 700km-900km on local roads before taking the car up north. The overhaul came unexpectedly at a bad time but could not be avoided. I reckon this milege over the next week is sufficient for run in. Am going to alter my routes and do more major roads less highway as much as possible, with hard acceleration and engine braking without red-lining, and will change gears as much as possible within safe road-driving limits.

My second query is that after the above break-in regimen for first 900km, the long cruise on highway at 140-150km/h constant speed should have minimal impact on the piston ring's seal against the cylinders, correct? I can't quite see the logic of driving it like a horse and rpm up rpm down beyond the first 900-1000km. Bikers/Drivers please advise. Especially on where to get the cheap mineral oil part :angel:

Edited by Pplater

P-plate should be an attitude to safety and riding. There's always more to learn.

10417710_10152885054228332_2597706433133321618_n.jpg?oh=a3e4c65165b15e5d659161c304211563&oe=54FB0965

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am collecting my car in 2 days from workshop after top overhaul due to blown gaskets. Had the piston rings changed as well. Am looking for reccomendation for cheap mineral oil that can be bought from off the shelf. Any bros can advise on this? Also, is there any seal or plug etc etc that needs to be changed together with EO and Oil Filter? Or is it the same as bike, engine oil and oil filter and nothing else?

Also, will mineral oil state "Mineral Oil" on the bottle? Or do I just look out that it did not state "Fully synthetic" or "Synthetic", and hence, must be mineral oil?

Secondly, I will have about 700km-900km on local roads before taking the car up north. The overhaul came unexpectedly at a bad time but could not be avoided. I reckon this milege over the next week is sufficient for run in. Am going to alter my routes and do more major roads less highway as much as possible, with hard acceleration and engine braking without red-lining, and will change gears as much as possible within safe road-driving limits.

My second query is that after the above break-in regimen for first 900km, the long cruise on highway at 140-150km/h constant speed should have minimal impact on the piston ring's seal against the cylinders, correct? I can't quite see the logic of driving it like a horse and rpm up rpm down beyond the first 900-1000km. Bikers/Drivers please advise. Especially on where to get the cheap mineral oil part :angel:

mineral oil is mineral oil, it is not synthetic or semi-synt. It is cheap and very common.

Do not use even a drop of synt oil unless u want your engine to eat oil later.

Maybe go try mustaffa look for mineral oil.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very old question. Just do whatever your manufacturer require. Don't listen to those weird hard soft run in **** myths.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n298/arakyo/16012011003.jpg

Do Not Tailgate Me!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My cars owner's manual recommends a run in mileage of 3000km where rpms should not be pushed to a high point. Recommended to keep below half of redline.

I am currently doing my engine run in after a complete engine rebuilt.

Car is smooth as silk purring like a cat. Mileage has also improved slightly

used to do 5.6km per liter, now getting about 6km per liter.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/4128/demimoore2fi.jpg

Just drive your car as per normal. Just don't over-rev.

Ride Free, Ride Hard, and Ride Safe.

Current ride:Hyundai i30 CW (Sept 2016 - Present)

Yamaha FZ1-S (Aug 2014 - Present)

Previous ride: Honda Tiger 200 (Oct 2009 - Jun 2012)

Suzuki GSR 600 (Jun 2012 - Sept 2013)

Hyundai Matrix (Jun 2013 - Aug 2016)