SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Clutch lever getting less travel

Hi, I ride CB400X. I notice my clutch lever is getting less and less travel (distance between clutch in and clutch out). I have to adjust the clutch lever to the higher dial. Also the spring back of the clutch is quite slow. 

Anyone know is it the clutch lever issue, or cable, or the clutch plates?

Thank you.

13 hours ago, Abyss9 said:

Hi, I ride CB400X. I notice my clutch lever is getting less and less travel (distance between clutch in and clutch out). I have to adjust the clutch lever to the higher dial. Also the spring back of the clutch is quite slow. 

Anyone know is it the clutch lever issue, or cable, or the clutch plates?

Thank you.

hi there.. usually it's the clutch cable..

clutch lever = loose, can move up and down instead of open and close 

Clutch plates = cannot find Neutral OR throttle suddenly lose fraction or power. (usually at last at least every 4-5 years) 2-3 years for those who always go high RPM.. -1-2k rpm from red line.

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

At the other end of the clutch cable, there is a return spring near at the clutch housing. I think the return spring is what makes your clutch lever return after you release the lever. You might want to take a look at the spring at see if anything's going on there.

for my bike, the spring is here instead..  Yamaha and KRR 

Screenshot_20211211-225315.png.8523253ab711a29bae113a4421f8d8bf.png

Edited by adesmond2

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

OK noted Desmond and apogee.

Here's the picture of the clutch housing and clutch cable. No return spring on the outside. I look at the

image.thumb.png.5eb1848e806e25394f8e302f00612e58.png

I check the service manual for CB500X and the return spring is inside the clutch housing.

14 hours ago, Abyss9 said:

OK noted Desmond and apogee.

Here's the picture of the clutch housing and clutch cable. No return spring on the outside. I look at the

image.thumb.png.5eb1848e806e25394f8e302f00612e58.png

I check the service manual for CB500X and the return spring is inside the clutch housing.

that looks a bit dry and hot.. you might wan to consider spray some WD40 or chain lube to lube it? 

you see the colour tone between your entire housing and the rest of the photos (other bikes).. it's common due to our hot country.. but the rust that starts to built up will cause your cable to snap sooner or later. spray some wd40 or chain lube or engine oil around the red arrow and red line that i've done for you.. and some "into" the cable itself..

and rest assured that the spraying wd40 will not damage anything.. if yes, rain water will already have damage it.. LOL

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 6.13.01 AM.png

Edited by adesmond2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. Went to bikeshop today to dismantle the clutch housing. The clutch plates were found worn and a bit burnt. The return spring in the clutch housing works fine.

Seem like the clutch plates will tend to stick to each other at high temperature, thus causing the clutch lever unable to go back to full clutch out position. 

Changed the clutch plates, discs and cable. Now work very smooth.

image.thumb.png.21cd13a228e9c1a5eea7adfb3d4c65aa.png

image.thumb.png.25ada246609eee9840e05f39f168e072.png

On 12/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, Abyss9 said:

Just an update. Went to bikeshop today to dismantle the clutch housing. The clutch plates were found worn and a bit burnt. The return spring in the clutch housing works fine.

Seem like the clutch plates will tend to stick to each other at high temperature, thus causing the clutch lever unable to go back to full clutch out position. 

Changed the clutch plates, discs and cable. Now work very smooth.

image.thumb.png.21cd13a228e9c1a5eea7adfb3d4c65aa.png

image.thumb.png.25ada246609eee9840e05f39f168e072.png

awesome! I just change my clutch plates and housing as well.. Now your bike can fly~~~~ ya? haha..

feels much smoother and easier to engage gears. 

*one of my friend also recommended to change the clutch cable as well.. I did it and it feels even more smoother. haha

8 minutes ago, Abyss9 said:

Yes, smooth operation now. 

Btw, any workshop to recommend in the east for honda bikes?

depending on what you wan.. stock and able to run = Planet Motors

if you wan beautify - need to check diff bike shops.. and remember.. know what you want, dun anyhow listen and change everything.. ;)

3 hours ago, Abyss9 said:

Hi Desmond, you mentioned that you replaced your clutch plates and housing. May I know what symptoms/signs lead you to change them?

Did you change the clutch discs too?

The "irritating" brushing sound.. + 5 years old.. I believe previous owner ignore all these symptoms with the concept of can move can already. 

*I've change most parts during my 9 months of ownership.. haha.. *my concept is, i rather change those parts instead of get struck at traffic or in the middle of no where.. (used to tour) ;) 

6 hours ago, adesmond2 said:

The "irritating" brushing sound.. + 5 years old.. I believe previous owner ignore all these symptoms with the concept of can move can already. 

*I've change most parts during my 9 months of ownership.. haha.. *my concept is, i rather change those parts instead of get struck at traffic or in the middle of no where.. (used to tour) ;) 

you changed the housing ?

as in the outer case ?

Edited by apogeeXX
forgot to quote

1 hour ago, Abyss9 said:

Not the housing.

I changed the clutch brakes, clutch discs and clutch cable.

For a moment I really thought u changed the housing 😅

Your bike is Yamaha mt03 ? The irritating sound is that metallic bristling sound ? So changing the plates makes the sound go away ?

My bike is Honda CB400X. 

There is no metallic bristling sound. The throttling is pretty smooth before changing the clutch brakes. But according to the mechanic, the clutch brakes are worn and quite burnt. So the clutch brakes, clutch discs and cable are replaced.