SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Advice on buying motorcycle strategy for casual rider?

Theta

Hi all, Got my 2B license so bike shopping in earnest. I am looking to buy a bike for casual use (i.e. weekend rides, errands, occasional ride into office), likely will use it 1-3x a week. Therefore I have been researching the best strategy for buying a bike. 

My time horizon is hopefully to use it for 3+ years (right now no intention of going 2A license). 

- Buy a new bike and hope it has low maintenance costs and has higher resale if/when I change bikes (Bikes I'm looking at are about $16K all in)
- Buy a 2-4 year old bike that seem to be in good condition (bikes I'm looking at here are ~$9-11K)
- Buy a 5+ year old bike and hope it doesn't have major issues and just ride out the COE and forget about resale (~$6K)

Any thoughts from other bike owners? Any things I should be considering here?
For reference, looking at a lot of Honda CB models (CB190X, CB150R Exmotion in particular). Not too keen on Scooters.

17 hours ago, Theta said:
Hi all, Got my 2B license so bike shopping in earnest. I am looking to buy a bike for casual use (i.e. weekend rides, errands, occasional ride into office), likely will use it 1-3x a week. Therefore I have been researching the best strategy for buying a bike. 

My time horizon is hopefully to use it for 3+ years (right now no intention of going 2A license). 

- Buy a new bike and hope it has low maintenance costs and has higher resale if/when I change bikes (Bikes I'm looking at are about $16K all in)
- Buy a 2-4 year old bike that seem to be in good condition (bikes I'm looking at here are ~$9-11K)
- Buy a 5+ year old bike and hope it doesn't have major issues and just ride out the COE and forget about resale (~$6K)

Any thoughts from other bike owners? Any things I should be considering here?
For reference, looking at a lot of Honda CB models (CB190X, CB150R Exmotion in particular). Not too keen on Scooters.

honestly.. buy a 4-6 year old bike.. dun need to worry anything about resale.. if can, use until scrap.. if you suddenly wan to upgrade at least can get back some money..

dun buy cb190x.. cb150r still ok.. 190x = overhaul 2-3 times a year.. the bike is too heavy for the engine and the engine has issues.. better be safe then sorry.. 

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055

Also support used bike, but look carefully for something that suits your taste. It's likely your machine will be modified (which should further decrease the resale value). Always bring a experienced rider friend to review the vehicle before commiting to buy, if not then go to moto shop tell them what you're looking for and they will recommend you. 

Do not purchase a used bike that's overpriced because zhng already, common sense not all modifications are tasteful nor do they improve the machine unless thoughtfully installed and tuned to match. 

If you want hilarious fun when talking about used bikes check out Lim Ah Wan shop, 24 hours open, buy him Mcspicy can sometimes get $1000 discount 😂

I would also recommend watch YouTube reviews to see what motorcycle design suits you best. For commuting use, kapchai is the most economical and fastest in real life traffic, Yamaha sniper really can squeeze into tiny gaps, maxi scooter can throw all your laptops and business gear inside, street fighter or mini ADV like Cb150x looks cool, R15 or KTM RC or Duke 200 if you smaller size, got lots of cash and don't mind squatting on the bike for go fast looks. Duke 200 is powerful! 😊

I went for the maxi scooter as a 20+ yr 2B license holder but bought new cos no point paying full cash with COE so high. Take loan from shop deliver 10 parcels a month it cover the installment already 😁

Edited by pinksheep
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 5:32 AM, adesmond2 said:

honestly.. buy a 4-6 year old bike.. dun need to worry anything about resale.. if can, use until scrap.. if you suddenly wan to upgrade at least can get back some money..

dun buy cb190x.. cb150r still ok.. 190x = overhaul 2-3 times a year.. the bike is too heavy for the engine and the engine has issues.. better be safe then sorry.. 

Ah that makes sense, very clever idea!

• Like 1

play all the wordle archive puzzles

On 5/19/2022 at 8:32 PM, Theta said:

Thanks all. I ended up getting a used Honda CB150R Exmotion, just loved the look and was a good height for me.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:25 AM, pinksheep said:

Awesome bike! I thought it looked cool in this light green. 

Honda-CB150R-front-quarter-1.jpg

I almost brought this bike also.. but my mechanic say I confirm wun like it.. Cuz speed limited.. 😂

• Like 1

Kindly read thru at least the intro section first before decide to post any comments.... thanks... :cool:

Please proceed to this website/web link if you guys have any technical issues on Kawasaki Kips/KR150, I'll update the 1st POST as and when there's a new question. Newbies questions on the top as well. :)

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6285055#post6285055