SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Pros & Cons of a Slipper Clutch

LedZep

Hi everyone,

I am considering the possibility of fitting a slipper to my '05 999 and was just wondering what the general concensus is on the pros and cons of this mod.

My primary objective of doing so is to minimise the load on the engine during hard braking and to reduce power loss by reduction of rotating mass (since the slipper is most likely lighter than the stock clutch); and certainly not for the sake of emulating any track gods although i do visit the track.

Open for discussion. Any views/opinions would be appreciated, esp so if you hv any experience running a slipper, on issues such as practicality on the street, maintenance, any recomendations, etc etc....

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the pros and cons that it brings to the physics (physical outcome, that is) of the bike when it is used. But I think I know why slipper clutches were invented -- track newbies and the occasional harsh-downshifter could benefit from it; saves early clutch wear and rear wheel lockups

Co-Moderator for IT -inerary forum

Biker nerd • Windows • Apple Mac • Android user

"Kick up your sidestand bro, let's ride..."

Slipper clutch tends to wear the clutch plate and elements faster.

http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48008&d=1198993193

flowers: 1979-2007 (Gilera Runner, Honda Varadero, Ducati 999, Yamaha 05 R6)

#48 Shoya Tomizawa: 05 Sep 10

LollyPop: 1983-2011

#58 Marco Simoncelli, 20 January 1987 - 23 October 2011 Sepang GP