SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Compare Big Jap Trailies?

spenx75

Which Big Jap Trailie would you choose?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Which Big Jap Trailie would you choose?

• Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    • Honda Varadero 1000
    • Yamaha TDM 900
    • Honda Africa Twin 750

Suzuki V-Strom 650/1000

Honda Varadero 1000

Yamaha TDM 900

Honda Africa Twin 750

How do these Japanese big trailies compare with each other?

- FC

- parts/accessories availability & price

- handling, stability, speed, reliability etc

- resale value

Why choose this make/model over the others? Hope to hear your opinions pls. . .

My Dream bike ~ ~ ~ ~ http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b54/Spenx75/mospeada3.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DL1K through the years

2002 (K2) Problematic clutch basket, some replaced under warranty & some replaced by owner. Lean FI issue.

2003 (K3) Added fork preload adjusters. Alternator output increased to 400 watts. Clutch Slave cylinder dust cover on later production models. Clutch still a problem on early year production models. Lean FI issue continues. The K3 probably ran the best of all and had the least running complaints. Only year for the Yellow color (stateside), second year in Europe.

2004 (K4) Redesigned instrument cluster. Upgrade 16 bit to 32 bit ECU and changed a couple sensors. Different turn signals, 20 watt vice earlier 10 watt. New ones are dimmer because of no reflector. Belly pan redesign for tighter fit to the engine case. Stronger hand guards that attach to end of handlebar. New adjustable windscreen design. Left handlebar switch incorporates flash-to-pass & emergency blinkers (EU models had this from the start). Less deflection in new handlebars. Mirrors changed resulting in less broken mirror complaints. But the little plastic hinge covers started breaking. Clutch problems gone. Lean Fi issue may be a bit worst. Sister model KLV1000 launched in Europe.

2005 (K5) Black frame (Silver before) & Black rear frame covers (fairing color before). New quiet clutch cover. Headlight interrupt when starting. Lean FI issue continues.

2006 (K6) Seems that most of the FI issues appear to have been fixed.

2007 (K7) New clear turn signal lenses and new swingarm pivot covers. FI appears to be good. Evap canister added to all. Bold new color scheme.

2008 (K8) Same as 07 with different colors.

Speed

DL1000 : Data taken from a MOTORRAD test edition 02/2002

0 - 100 km/h = 3.4 s

0 - 140 km/h = 6.3 s

0 - 180 km/h = 11.9 s

(Topspeed = 202 km/h ** some owners able to hit 235km/h)

Acceleration (5. gear)

60 - 100 km/h = 4.2 s

100 - 140 km/h = 3.9 s

140 - 180 km/h = 5.5 s

I believe Vstrom has one of the fastest acceleration among the adventure tourers even to the mighty GS. The only downside of the bike it lacks the stability Vara has to offer at high speed. The OEM brake is crap. With such powerful engine, the braking should be at least on par.

Fuel Consumption

My K4 - 18-19km/l with gradual acceleration

Parts availability

- Eversuccess

- Suzuki Agent

- Ebay! (US)

- murphskit

Accessories availability

- SW Motech (local dealer)

- Hepco & Becker (local dealer)

- Touratech (local dealer)

- Givi (local dealer)

- Ceebaileys

- US websites

- Puig (local dealer)

- exhaust system (Akra, Arrow, Leo Vince, Remus) (local dealer)

Handling

- vibration at front end above 180km/h

- works betting with aftermarket front/rear shocks and fork brace

Resale Value

- depends on market demand on adventure bikes

Reliability

All the bikes listed have the fair share of reliability. All the big trailies are well known of their reliability. No matter how many cycles the Odo have gone through, the bikes will still be able to run for another cycle if taken good care of.

Why I choose ?

Initially I had narrowed down my choice to the Vara Fi model and Vstrom. There were only brand new Vara Fi at that moment. I settle for a 2nd hand Vstrom knowing that i will ride the bike for a good 2-4 years.

Never like the low exhaust of the TDM and the slim body of the bike and despite AT's known reliability and capability, i just felt that the bike is too old and i was looking for a bike that can serve me with another good 2-4 years without any major problems.

If there were a choice for me to swap to another bike, i will get the Vara FI (not taking into consideration the GS)

The market of big trailies locally are getting very saturated. Local dealers are having 2nd thoughts of bringing in new DLs into the market. The demand in the local scene also might have triggered the local dealer's decision not to bring in the new Yamaha Tenere XT660Z and Honda Translap 700.

The only notable sight is the increase of GS owners. Maybe most of the riders are getting richer. :giddy:

"The road less travelled"

380430_10150542159155027_725570026_11064521_1701187442_n.jpg

TDM900 is crap...don't buy it...pls...i beg...becoz i am still riding one...

2002-crap

2003-crap

2004-crap

2005-crap

2006-crap

2007-crap

2008-extinct

:faint:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/khamizAJ/heymonkeyassdoesthisapprovetobeanalbumname/soloride192-1.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/khamizAJ/DSC-0049-2-1.jpg

For a person like me who spends his time more facing the monitor than out there doing justice on adventure....

We seek nothing more,nothing less....just passion.

TDM900 is crap...don't buy it...pls...i beg...becoz i am still riding one...

2002-crap

2003-crap

2004-crap

2005-crap

2006-crap

2007-crap

2008-extinct

:faint:

from the way it is...looks like all the adventure tourers are heading into extinction in our local market with the exception of GS...

hmm...it depends on individual...some like to follow what the masses think...like you hear people say,GS looks way kewl...bike got character...when you ride one....you will feel like a superstar...so,you also must have one because you decided to follow what the masses think...i think the rider makes the character of the bike on how he uses it...not the bike makes the character of the rider...

while some...don't really bothers what others think...they really bothers what their pockets think....

whether it is Varadero 1k,V-strom 1k,XRV750,TDM...the bottom line is...whichever bike you choose,still able to go through the same highway,the same potholes road,and the same dirtrack...

To me its not about the bike...its all about the rider...its all boils down to your very own money....the people around you doesnt provides you the money to buy what bike you should buy...what suits other rider might not suits you...

So to me,why should ask this question of what bike to buy for yourself...

Its just like asking people what underwear should you buy...get it?

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/khamizAJ/heymonkeyassdoesthisapprovetobeanalbumname/soloride192-1.jpghttp://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s261/khamizAJ/DSC-0049-2-1.jpg

For a person like me who spends his time more facing the monitor than out there doing justice on adventure....

hmm....you still havent sleep ar?

http://static.flickr.com/21/26489382_906f4c7c39_m.jpg

come over and i show you tight or loose...:shy:

hmm...it depends on individual...some like to follow what the masses think...like you hear people say,GS looks way kewl...bike got character...when you ride one....you will feel like a superstar...so,you also must have one because you decided to follow what the masses think...i think the rider makes the character of the bike on how he uses it...not the bike makes the character of the rider...

while some...don't really bothers what others think...they really bothers what their pockets think....

whether it is Varadero 1k,V-strom 1k,XRV750,TDM...the bottom line is...whichever bike you choose,still able to go through the same highway,the same potholes road,and the same dirtrack...

To me its not about the bike...its all about the rider...its all boils down to your very own money....the people around you doesnt provides you the money to buy what bike you should buy...what suits other rider might not suits you...

So to me,why should ask this question of what bike to buy for yourself...

Its just like asking people what underwear should you buy...get it?

Well said bro!!! :thumb:

Suzuki V-Strom 650/1000

The 1000 is outphased. Ride-wise The Strom 1000 is the closest you can get to a GS. I am speaking of the R 12 GS. The DL650 outruns the R 11 GS and the R 11.5 GS in many riding situations. It is almost 100% trouble free, relative good fuel consumption, is comfortable for long trips, and at the same time still good for commuting.

Honda Varadero 1000

A very good bike, but recommended only from the FI version onwards. The carburetor model is very soft sprung, and has too high fuel consumption. The Vara is less of a real adventure tourer, but a comfortable tourer. If one is interested mainly in doing long haul trips this is the alternative to the ST1300, very close in terms of ride comfort and much cheaper. Disadvantage: Heavy, not good for commuting.

Yamaha TDM 900

It is a good, well crafted and reliable bike. But a bit outdated and less exciting. If the price is right, why not.

Honda Africa Twin 750

A myths by itself because of the indestructible engine and its usefulness. But frankly speaking overrated, because in Singapore as second hand bike far too expensive. Buy the DL650 instead. It is plenty lighter and faster.

BMW R 12 GS: White Power 4014 Emulsion + Wilbers 642 shocks, Hepco&Becker cases on Seng Kwan modified H&B racks, Ilmenberger carbon rear hugger, Pivotpegz II, Sedcem screen with MRA spoiler, SW-Motech Crashbars, Hella FF50 'Fernblau' edition.

TDM900It is a good, well crafted and reliable bike. But a bit outdated and less exciting. If the price is right, why not.

hmmm:dot:

As everything, personal opinion. YMMV. (=Your Mileage Might Vary)

When I look what comes with the package, the DL650 seems indeed hard to beat at current.

BMW R 12 GS: White Power 4014 Emulsion + Wilbers 642 shocks, Hepco&Becker cases on Seng Kwan modified H&B racks, Ilmenberger carbon rear hugger, Pivotpegz II, Sedcem screen with MRA spoiler, SW-Motech Crashbars, Hella FF50 'Fernblau' edition.

i'm still happy with VARA 1k...don't mind the size and weight thou...but it be better if someone out there have the solution for the temperature and the f.c needs. its getting on me but ... i ask for it i guess..

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l306/joemac_kint/misc%20pic/untitled123456.jpg

Where got LONG WAY DOWN? Its just around the corner what?!?!?! eeerrmm. JUST a very long corner i mean...

The reasons i don't wanna judge other bikes in this thread is bcoz...i don't own the other made and models...

So no one here is to judge unless you have owned and ridden all of the bikes that is stated.

Don't assumed by just reading in magazines and web you think you know best.

I can write up a whole lots about TDM since i am owning one and have gone through quite abit with it...but yet,i am still just another bike maniac..but whateva write up for the TDM,is for my own preferance...it might not have the same points with other's who have own it.

So,don't just judging the good points to the bike that you have ridden and owned only...since its not talking about Suzy DL...

Only if you were asked about it...

i think... its best to reply as..."WOt iS It uR pRoud Of Ur riDe" and keep to ur own review of uR individual Bike rather than cOmpaRing.. or... "JudGing OthErs BikE"

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l306/joemac_kint/misc%20pic/untitled123456.jpg

Where got LONG WAY DOWN? Its just around the corner what?!?!?! eeerrmm. JUST a very long corner i mean...

The reasons i don't wanna judge other bikes in this thread is bcoz...i don't own the other made and models...

So no one here is to judge unless you have owned and ridden all of the bikes that is stated.

Don't assumed by just reading in magazines and web you think you know best.

I can write up a whole lots about TDM since i am owning one and have gone through quite abit with it...but yet,i am still just another bike maniac..but whateva write up for the TDM,is for my own preferance...it might not have the same points with other's who have own it.

So,don't just judging the good points to the bike that you have ridden and owned only...since its not talking about Suzy DL...

Only if you were asked about it...

I have ridden all the bikes mentioned myself. It is not wrong to have an opinion. Right?

You say you could write a lot about the TDM, then why don't you do it ...

;)

Peter

becoz i feel no point in writing...like i said,what opinions i give on the bike,may not have the same opinion to the other rider who also rides the same bike..opinion may varies.so why bother.

eg...you read in magazines and the review of the certain bike sucks...people have answered your question over the internet that the bike sucks as well because they rode them before and its a shameful bits.then you saw the bike on the road and asked personally to the person who rides it,and he tells you its the best bike he have ever owned...

So who to belief?believe in yourself then...you need to ride one to find out.rather than words of mouth.

becoz i feel no point in writing...like i said,what opinions i give on the bike,may not have the same opinion to the other rider who also rides the same bike..opinion may varies.so why bother.

eg...you read in magazines and the review of the certain bike sucks...people have answered your question over the internet that the bike sucks as well because they rode them before and its a shameful bits.then you saw the bike on the road and asked personally to the person who rides it,and he tells you its the best bike he have ever owned...

So who to belief?believe in yourself then...you need to ride one to find out.rather than words of mouth.

i feel that there's 2 type of riders...

one that will always stick to the bike he rides and ignore all other available options on the market...

then there's another rider...one who like to try other bikes....

every bike has it own flaws...it depends whether the rider able to ride with the flaws or not...

i belong to to this group....i like to compare what my ride lacks compared to the other rides available....u either live with it or improvise...

there's actually some riders out there who have OWNED 2/3 types of these bikes particularly Vara, TDM n Vstrom....

there's some who change from Vara to Vstrom ..... Vstrom to TDM...

a person who owns the bike have gone through all the riding n maintanence of the bike compared to the person who rides it only....

i never like believe in magazine reviews....most are just crap...

put some experienced rider on the bike and all kind of bullshit will come up...

a person need to own n ride the bike through its maintanence period to appreciate and understand bout the bike...that will take at least 6-12 mths....not just 100-200km ride...

bottomline...all this manufacturers won't be stupid enough to make a bike with so many flaws....some bikes just don't sell well in different market...

the market of adventure tourers are dying here locally....it's up to the current owners to bring up the name...if TS is still considering in getting one of these...better start soon before the market totally die out...

ithe owners of these bikes here know each other quite well and we are not gonna start a war of who's bike is better.....unless AJ still thinks my ride is crap... :giddy:

just kidding...show me some love...:shy:

havent this chap gave you enuff luv?

http://static.flickr.com/21/26489382_906f4c7c39_m.jpg

:angel:

All the bikes mentioned above are no bad bikes. But there are differences. That is - so I think - the reason to discuss.

Probably for you there are other points important than for me. As an example I found that the TDM is quite nicely crafted, probably better than the DL. But for riding, I found the DL more fun, more exciting. The AT is nowadays considered somewhat oldish and heavy. There is no doubt that it is expensive, too, for what one gets. But some might be just big fans, because it is a unique and reliable bike. I have paid double price for the GS, then what I payed for the V-Strom. Is the GS better? Yes, IMO. Is it double as good? No way. In terms of value for money the GS is a looser, but I still love it.

If we all give up saying our opinions, then we can as well stop talking. Fruitful is if many people give their opinions and experiences. Then every literate reader will be able to draw his own summary and conclusions. Yep. :cool:

ok...let end this crap...anyway different bike have different pros & cons. It all depend on the rider capabilities & preferences to own the bike he/she want. Vara, V-storm,tdm, At , Gs etc.... all have their pros & cons. There's no perfect bikes in the world....end of the day, we just need a reliable bike to complete our journey..

All adventure rider>> u r warmly invited to our mini vara meetup this coming friday kopi meetup at KTM railway 10pm onward. I',m sure we would love to meetup u guys & dicuss all the adventure trip that u have been.

Venue: Tanjong Pagar KTM railway

Time: 10pm onward

Date: 11.01.2008 (Friday)

My contact : 97941143 David

Varadero Adventure Rider Asia

All adventure rider>> u r warmly invited to our mini vara meetup this coming friday kopi meetup at KTM railway 10pm onward. I',m sure we would love to meetup u guys & dicuss all the adventure trip that u have been.

the railway station is alive again? :giddy:

will check with the other guys...

there's actually some riders out there who have OWNED 2/3 types of these bikes ......a person who owns the bike have gone through all the riding n maintanence of the bike compared to the person who rides it only....

:

I am not sure if such a rider exists.

However, there was a rumour about a biker who has owned, maintained, repaired, and modified, among others machines, some china bicycles, all Honda XRs (both dirt & SM), WR400, DRZ, AT, Savage, TDM, and of late, a Bandit. It's quite unbelievable, and I think there is little truth, in fact more like a load of bull, but I can be wrong :angel:

Will try to make it a point to come even the rest of the gang won't be joining...no more talking about how great my bike works,very super high-tech or it is value for my money..but no promises...unless Al-Simmon come to my blk to escort me there..:shy: