SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

DIY HID - All About High Intensity Discharge

Originally posted by paiseh@Jan 5 2006, 09:07 PM

Let's look at the diagram from left to right. When you turn on your headlight switch, it puts 12V across the relay coil which in turn closes the contacts. The contacts switch in 12V from the battery to turn on the ballast, which in turn ignites and powers the HID bulb. Pretty simple concept.

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1686025213/hid_wiring.gif

something like tat

but anyone who is confident enough to help me with this DIY? my electrical knowledge is very limited

this diagram here which i posted previously is sub integrated. the ignitor is within the ballast itself.

No more regrets.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by cheeko@Jan 28 2006, 06:23 PM

:? I abit confused now leh...... change or not to change :?

Think i gotta go nite riding with any of those guys who has install HID system 1st. Cos in the daylight see compare no use 1. Just like Mr Neo mention, brighter may not mean more efficient :smile:

If u tour often, i tink u will be glad with HID installed.

but it will be good if u could haf a look at samples first.

No more regrets.

Originally posted by cheeko@Jan 28 2006, 06:08 PM

Just like those bikes with electronic ECU, whereby maybe actually is resistor or capacity on circuit board blow which can be repair, but cb bikeshops usually recommend throw away the whole piece & replace a brand new 1 which cost thousands of $$.

Come back here,

Is it the same for intergrated HID also :?

:giddy: Fully intergrated sounds everything very light & compact, all built-in, but if certain part spoil means whole HID unit go into dustbin :?

Unlike electronic ECU, most current HIDs system can be repaired. But our 7" & 9" Fully Intergrated Working Lamps may be too big for yr bike. The 4th generation HIDs are using electronic ballast - I suspect the Compact Hella Driving lights may be using electronic ballast, which will explain the us$700 pricing.

:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

HP: 93891138 :angel:

Originally posted by cheeko@Jan 28 2006, 06:23 PM

:? I abit confused now leh...... change or not to change :?

Think i gotta go nite riding with any of those guys who has install HID system 1st. Cos in the daylight see compare no use 1. Just like Mr Neo mention, brighter may not mean more efficient :smile:

Hey.............Cheeko .......... dun worry abt it laaa U dun need HIDs laaaaaaaaa

No matter Day Or Night viewing of HIDs light - U will get shock by the difference.

Since U R happy wif your factory installed Halogen, which U cliam is bright enough for u. Pls dun waste your time & effort - when U R not ready for HIDs.

" Just like Mr Neo mention, brighter may not mean more efficient " but he installed a full set ( 2units ) bec he needs them. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Originally posted by eSPy`7@Jan 28 2006, 11:58 PM

limbat: how about H7 headlights ? can it be fitted with HID ?

i ans for his behalf. Yes.

HID comes with all types. H4 (super 4), H7 (F600/1000, CBR954/929/600/1000, K1,2,3,4,5) HS(phantom), etc etc etc

No more regrets.

Originally posted by paiseh@Jan 29 2006, 03:09 AM

i ans for his behalf. Yes.

HID comes with all types. H4 (super 4), H7 (F600/1000, CBR954/929/600/1000, K1,2,3,4,5) HS(phantom), etc etc etc

then if i fit a pair, will be 2 ballasts for each bulb ? or 1 ballast for a pair of bulbs ?

:confused:

Originally posted by eSPy`7@Jan 29 2006, 08:20 AM

then if i fit a pair, will be 2 ballasts for each bulb ? or 1 ballast for a pair of bulbs ?

The current HIDs system are still the 1 ballast to 1 HID bulb, the 4th generation is a electronic ballast - 1 ballast to 2 HIDs bulbs. The electronic ballast are currently too expensive to be apply to bikes - so far onli high end cars are fitted wif them.

I hv always believe tt for bikes - the 1 ballast to 1 HID bulb is more than sufficient in terms of luminations, it is also 50% cheaper.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

A Happy Lunar New Year to all who have posted on this thread.

:bouncefire: :bouncefire: :bouncefire:

Originally posted by eSPy`7@Jan 29 2006, 08:20 AM

1 ballast to ignite one HID. they come in a pair.

No more regrets.

Originally posted by limbat@Jan 29 2006, 11:25 AM

The current HIDs system are still the 1 ballast to 1 HID bulb, the 4th generation is a electronic ballast - 1 ballast to 2 HIDs bulbs. The electronic ballast are currently too expensive to be apply to bikes - so far onli high end cars are fitted wif them.

I hv always believe tt for bikes - the 1 ballast to 1 HID bulb is more than sufficient in terms of luminations, it is also 50% cheaper.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

A Happy Lunar New Year to all who have posted on this thread.

:bouncefire: :bouncefire: :bouncefire:

how much is the damage to my pockets if I want a pair of H7 HID ?

:sweat:

Originally posted by eSPy`7@Jan 31 2006, 10:30 AM

how much is the damage to my pockets if I want a pair of H7 HID ?

$280 x 2 = $560 (a pair of H7 HID with a pair of ballast) + $40 (installation)

Seriosuly, u dun need a pair.

No more regrets.

Originally posted by paiseh@Jan 31 2006, 01:33 PM

$280 x 2 = $560 (a pair of H7 HID with a pair of ballast) + $40 (installation)

Seriosuly, u dun need a pair.

:giddy: I read from somewhere Mr Neo has install 2 nos of HID bulbs whereby 1 is already sufficient. Why would Mr Neo need 2 nos of HID bulbs then.... :? The brightness would be superblinding, unless he wana blind people on the roads :giddy:

Originally posted by eSPy`7@Jan 31 2006, 01:47 PM

then my bike would look like a one-eyed jack if there's only one.

:giddy:

one eye jack yes, but u have to trade that to save half the money

No more regrets.

Originally posted by cheeko@Jan 31 2006, 01:38 PM

:giddy: I read from somewhere Mr Neo has install 2 nos of HID bulbs whereby 1 is already sufficient. Why would Mr Neo need 2 nos of HID bulbs then.... :? The brightness would be superblinding, unless he wana blind people on the roads :giddy:

Mr Neo's main aim is to brighten the roads infront of him. Dun tink he will wan to blind ppl. :sweat:

maybe his main concern is wat most ppl face. the one eye jack problem.

No more regrets.

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/888793619/head.jpg

lucky for me, i got 5 lights. 2 side pole lights, 1 middle main headlight and 2 side high beams. pole lights using T10 bulbs and all 3 headlights using H7.

im now considering whether to replace one of my high beam with HID or replace the main headlight. This is becoz the some of the light will be blocked by the design og the front head cover of my bike.

notice my bikes glare and limbat's HID glare. maybe i shld use the word brightness and not glare. my headlights are stock units.

http://www.photoi.org/share/upload3/1/2/1952007922/untitled1_copy.jpg

No more regrets.

Originally posted by cheeko@Jan 31 2006, 01:38 PM

:giddy:  I read from somewhere Mr Neo has install 2 nos of HID bulbs whereby 1 is already sufficient. Why would Mr Neo need 2 nos of HID bulbs then....  :? The brightness would be superblinding, unless he wana blind people on the roads :giddy:

nEO does not hv a 1-eyejack problem ......... laaaaaa, his Ducati has 2 projection

type lens - which happen to be place on top of 1 another. Low beam is at the

bottom & high beam on top. Guess he must hv given it some tot & decide tt he

needs 2 of them for lighting up the roads in front of his bike (not to blind others).

U should see the projection light beam pattern - the cut off is so sharp tt there is

no glare at all - onli forward light beam direction. Well like he said - there is good

& bad - wif out the glare the surrounding areas R not lighted up for him to see .....

Haizzzzz ............. no perfect lighting system ....

:giddy: :giddy: :giddy: :giddy:

Originally posted by paiseh@Jan 31 2006, 02:04 PM

one eye jack yes, but u have to trade that to save half the money

Well, tts the truth .......... 1 HID is really enough.. ler & at half the price ......

so if u really dun like the look of 1-eyejack ......... then fit the otherside later

lorr .... then really burn a hole in yr pocket ........

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

:smile: Mr limbat, if only got such bulb where got 2 filiments built in, whereby 1 is normal light, and is HID, tat will solve everything, no more 1 eye jack & everyone will be very happy. :smile:

Originally posted by cheeko@Feb 1 2006, 04:19 PM

:smile: Mr limbat, if only got such bulb where got 2 filiments built in, whereby 1 is normal light, and is HID, tat will solve everything, no more 1 eye jack & everyone will be very happy. :smile:

Yes, we have them on H4 - 1 is the HID & the other is Halogen..... heee heeee

But to have both of these HID/Halogen bulbs, cost is double lorrr

:giddy: :giddy:

ok guys, im doing(DIY with his help) my HID at limbat's place this coming fri, 3rd of Feb 2006 2pm at his shop.

those interested can come down haf a look.

his shop is very very near mah motors, the big big one there near upper serangoon road

No more regrets.

a few qtns:

- will ROV/TP find fault with non-stock HID?

- will non-stock HID pass inspection?

My X9 is using a pair of H7, one each for high and low beam. Can only one side be installed?

:smile:

Selling my

- X9 Evo Winter Windshield

Feb 2004 - Sep 2004: TA 150

Sep 2004 - V Day 2009: X9 Evo

Jun 2008 - ~~~~~ : Fit GD 1.3 A

Originally posted by limbat@Feb 1 2006, 07:49 PM

Yes, we have them on H4 - 1 is the HID & the other is Halogen..... heee heeee

But to have both of these HID/Halogen bulbs, cost is double lorrr

:giddy: :giddy:

:confused: There is such a dual filiment bulb?!! Normal & HID together?!! Aiyoo....y didn't u let us noe earlier, tat is preceisely the question few of us here is asking :sian: Like tat no more 1 eye jack problem liao mah. I think many people will be interested :smile:

Originally posted by horizoner@Feb 1 2006, 09:56 PM

a few qtns:

- will ROV/TP find fault with non-stock HID?

- will non-stock HID pass inspection?

My X9 is using a pair of H7, one each for high and low beam. Can only one side be installed?

:smile:

U wont be stopped out of a sudden while travelling on the road (unless u did something illegal).

U might be stopped during a road block.

Yes, u can install one side if u wan.

y not come down haf a look tmr?

No more regrets.