SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

CDC Class 2B journey (2017)

Been looking through the forums on everyone's progress of obtaining their 2B, 2A or 2 license and I wanna share my experiences here too =)

I actually enrolled back in 2014 at CDC for my class 2B but I cant remember getting pass even lesson 2 due to school commencing and I sort of gave up. I never thought I would have the interest in taking a bike license anymore until recently. I ended my reservist cycle this year on 13th August 2017 and the following day, my friend dragged me (YES DRAGGED) down to CDC the very next day 14th August 2017 to enrol after a casual conversation we had during our reservist on how much desire i had to return and get my 2B license.

And hence, so begins my journey of getting a class 2B license @ CDC

14th August 2017 - Enrollment

Enrollment into CDC begins and right after, i decided to book for my theory lessons as I realised my RTT was voided having been 3 years that I last sat for it. Also went ahead to book Circuit Orientation so that I can commence my lesson 1. (I had a class 3 so I could skip the entire BTT.... phew)

18th August 2017 - Circuit Orientation

Headed down for my Orientation and it was pretty straight forward. We were the last to go after the other learners went off for their warm up exercises. The wait was quit long and rather boring but soon, we were gathered by the instructor who briefed us about the attire required.

Mandatory for learners to have:

- Helmet (w PSB sticker)

- Gloves

- Elbow and knee guards

- Jeans and covered shoes

He briefed us about the procedure of going for each practical lessons, number tags and the colour it denotes. The only 'hands-on' thing that we did was to push the bike off the mainstand and putting it back on the main stand. No riding here so it is fine to wear berms and flip-flops (DONT DO IT FOR THE FOLLOWING LESSONS).

25th August 2017 - Lesson 1

Booked the earliest slow available for lesson 1 but since it was about 3 years since I last rode a bike, it felt abit uncomfortable but was alright after a few moment. I have a class 3 so i was able to adapt to the gear shifting maneuver and biting point. The instructor will split us into 2 groups for each lesson (first timers & repeats). Repeats meaning they failed the lesson and had to come back again. Started off the lesson in the bike nursery moving off and stopping by hitting the tyres along the perimeter of the nursery. Once the instructor feels you are comfortable with the biting point, he will releasse you to ride around the nursery like a merry-go-round. Managed to proceed on to the other parts of this lesson and mid way though, they brought us to the main circuit where we will just be riding rounds around it (up to gear 5). They will be accessing us on our stopping, moving off and gear switching as well as inching forward. Straight forward lesson and passed it. Off to lesson 2.

30th August 2017 - Lesson 2

Lesson 2 is mainly on turning at junctions, safety/blindspot checking. The instructors will brief us on the safety checks and where and when to check. Its straight forward, always check back right before moving off (unless the curb is to your right then u check back left). in short check away from the curb. This MUST be done everytime before moving off. Blindspot just check the direction you are turning. For instance, left will be blindspot left. Make sure to turn your head and look over your shoulders so the instructor can see. Lane changing also have to remember the blindspot checking. However my bad habits from driving screwed me up as I cut straight into the other lane while turning as there was no cars and I didnt pass the lesson due to turning into the wrong lane. Silly mistake.

4th September 2017 - Lesson 2 (2nd attempt)

Same as the previous lesson and decided to be a good boy and follow the rules and lane discipline. Passed on 2nd attempt yay!!!!!

5th September 2017 - Lesson 3

Lesson 3 is where most beginner riders will be worried about as it will be the slope, figure of 8 and crank course. Slope and crank isnt much of a problem for me. The instructor 'toured' us around the courses before heading to each individual courses. Slope was kinda quick and we moved on to figure of 8 and crank (which took the longest). Most of us failed to hit the required timing of under 11s and needless to say, some fell off their bikes in the figure of 8 and stalled the engine countless times. And sadly, I didnt pass this lesson. Time to book another slot.

7th September 2017 - Lesson 3 (2nd attempt)

I joined the repeat riders and skipped most of the explanation and proceeded off to do the slope before heading to figure of 8 and crank. The experience was similar to the previous lesson just that I managed to attain teh proper posture and timing for the figure of 8. Instructor passed me but advised me to book more Circuit Revision. So I got cleared and hence, proceeded to lesson 4.

8th September 2017 - Lesson 4

Lesson 4 was the narrow plank, pylon slalom and emergency braking. The one that got most of us gritting our teeth was the plank as all of us fell off the plank countless times before getting the appropriate posture and techniques. For taller riders like myself, I would suggest, slouching or hunching your backs JUST for the plank and keeping your arms as relax as possible whilst gripping the fuel tank tightly, LOOK FAR AHEAD TOO!!. It works for me really well as being tall, my center of gravity was lowered when i hunched forward, making it much much easier to get through the plank (better to get 2 points for incorrect posture over an immediate failure right?).

Slalom was fine and the trick is to look at the end point of the slalom course and make a wider turn while u bank left and right. This is to prevent the crash bar from hitting the cones. Your bike might not hit the cone but the crash bar will and it is an immediate failure in the TP test. (irritating bars aren't they??)

Ebrake was easy, get up to gear 3 around 30-35km/h for class 2B and once pass the lamppost (instructor will tell you to sue that as a guide), depress front and rear brakes together with both arms STRAIGHTENED. Stopin gear 3 and do your safety checks and kick down to gear 1, signal before moving off. I would advice depressing the rear brake harder instead of front brakes to prevent skidding as i skidded during one of my circuit revisions when I jammed the front brakes harder than my rear brakes. Do some trail and error and you will find what works for you =)

Managed to pass lesson 4 =D

20th September 2017 - Lesson 5

After going through 4 circuit revisions to practice my narrow plank and figure of 8, I booked my lesson 5. Lesson 5 is like an 'internal TP test' but just in the circuit and u must not accumulate more than 12 points in order to pass. We will be given 1 warm up round before parking our bikes back at the nursery for a briefing my the instructor. Do not panic and remember your lesson 2!!! its is important. 4 points for each blindspot check is painful. The instructors will be seated on the high chairs around the circuit. The first instructor will be directly in front of the exit of the nursery when you are getting ready to turn out. Wait for his signal before proceeding. remember to do your safety check and blindspot checking.

It goes in this order Nursery > Slope > Fig 8 > Crank > Plank > Slalom > Ebrake > Nursery

MAKE SURE TO WAIT FOR THE BLINKER LIGHT for Fig 8, Plank and Ebrake or it is an immediate failure.

The wait for the results was long and mentally torturous haha, maybe I overthinking but I managed to scrap through with 12 points hahaha, lucky me.

Demerit points are as follow:

Failure to check blindspot = 4pts x 2 = 8 points ( i didnt check twice, once when moving off from the nursery and the otehr when turning back into the nursey)

Failed to clear the slalom under 6 sec = 4 points (i got 6.89s, was quite sian lol)

Total = 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 points

23rd September 2017 - Lesson 6

Lesson 6 will be the first lesson where you will be training on the actual road. Be sure to wear bright coloured shirts or the instructors sometimes may be abit guailan even if the session is during the day. Also completion of the Defensive Riding theory lessons is compulsory to book lesson 6. This lesson was quite okay for me as i drove before and had experience on the road. We were given a short briefing on what to take note on the road. Formations, positioning, blindspot and safety checks. Lesson 2 guys and girls, it is essential. So we were led by our instructors to go on the road and trust me it is great riding on the actual road where you can go on a higher speed unlike the circuit.

Was surprised that the instructor included a U turn as the training booklet stated that only in lesson 7 then we will be doing U turn, but who cares no harm for an extra practice right? Be wary of the traffic especially during peak hours. Ubi is notorious for heavy traffic among the 3 driving centers. It was a straight forward lesson on riding on the road and doing pre-ride checks and I cleared lesson 6 in a breeze.

25th September 2017 - Lesson 7

Lesson 7 is exactly the same procedure as lesson 6, pre riding check and riding on the road. However this time, the instructor will be breaking us into groups ( 2 to 3 riders to 1 instructor) and we will be going on the actual test route for our TP test. This will be the best time to clarify on any doubts you may have from lesson 6 or this lesson. First round the instructor will be leading you and for the 2nd round, you will be leading the instructor and this is the time they will be doing your assessment. So just be confident about the road, do your safety checks and remember your positioning on lanes and you will be find. Passed this lesson too =)

29th September 2017 - Lesson 8

Went for 1 road revision and circuit revision before this and trust me, it proved to of a great help as lesson 8 will be the final evaluation, it like lesson 5 but this time it INCLUDES the road component. Many people fail because of the plank and slalom. Just relax and remember any posture or tricks you have picked up during your revision. The instructors will ask you to go for a warm up round before going for a short briefing which will be followed by the assessment. Same procedure as lesson 5 and my heart was racing when I approached the plank but thankfully, i managed to clear it. Once you clear the ebrake, wait at the left side curb for the instructor who will then break us up into groups of 3 then off you go for the road component. I was the 2nd rider and I kiasu abit keep 1 bike distance from the first rider (act act abit haha). The entire road was a breeze as i felt relieved after clearing the circuit especially the plank. We rode through test route 1 and back to cdc where I told myself I have gave my all and relax.

The usual long wait as per Lesson 5 and finally the instructor came out with our results. I passed with 10 points and was given the green light to book for my TP test!!! However I realised a horrendous truth, in my desire to clear the practical lessons, I stupidly forgot to clear my RTT and couldnt book the TP test even though I could see it in the system. Well.... just suck thumb and go clear my RTT first. Having my Internal evaluation tomorrow and have to clear it before booking the RTT. Serve me right for not booking it early.

Demerit points are as follow:

- Improper positioning = 2 points (Probably form plank LOL)

- Wobble when moving off/stopping = 2 points (Cant remember where I got them)

- Failed to keep left/road hogging = 6 points (Filtered to the most right lane before I even passed the overhead bridge along Airport Road hahaha)

Total = 4 + 4 + 4 = 12 points

Summary of my attempt progress:

L1 - 1

L2 - 2

L3 - 2

L4 - 1

L5 - 1

L6 - 1

L7 - 1

L8 - 1

To be continued........

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing progress!!! You must be a natural at riding bikes!

My Ride History:

[KTM Duke 200] - 2017/06 - 2018/06

[Piaggio MP3 125] - 2017/12 - 2018/07

[Suzuki DRZ 400 SM] - 2018/07 - 2019/04

[Suzuki Boulevard 400] - 2018/07 - 2019/06

[Honda CB400X] - 2018/10 - 2020/10

[KTM Duke 390] - 2019/07 - 2020/09

[Aprilia Caponord 1200] - 2020/10 - 2021/10

[Vespa 300 GTS] - 2021/06 -

[Honda NC750X DCT ABS] - 2022/05 -

amazing progress!!! You must be a natural at riding bikes!

Thank you for your kind words =) Pls dont say that, I guess its because i was free for the whole month and was luck to get slots that are just the next or a few days apart. Wouldn't be fast if I had to wait longer as I would have lost touch =)

Edited by kaikai92

Thank you for your kind words =) Pls dont say that, I guess its because i was free for the whole month and was luck to get slots that are just the next or a few days apart. Wouldn't be fast if I had to wait longer as I would have lost touch =)

My Progress:

L1 - x3

L2 - x2

L3(1) - x3

L3(2) - 3

L4 - 1

L5 - 1

L6 - 1

L7 - 2

Plus 5 CRs + 2 RRs

Total 2.5 mths from day of registration to receive license

My Ride History:

[KTM Duke 200] - 2017/06 - 2018/06

[Piaggio MP3 125] - 2017/12 - 2018/07

[Suzuki DRZ 400 SM] - 2018/07 - 2019/04

[Suzuki Boulevard 400] - 2018/07 - 2019/06

[Honda CB400X] - 2018/10 - 2020/10

[KTM Duke 390] - 2019/07 - 2020/09

[Aprilia Caponord 1200] - 2020/10 - 2021/10

[Vespa 300 GTS] - 2021/06 -

[Honda NC750X DCT ABS] - 2022/05 -

My Progress:

L1 - x3

L2 - x2

L3(1) - x3

L3(2) - 3

L4 - 1

L5 - 1

L6 - 1

L7 - 2

Plus 5 CRs + 2 RRs

Total 2.5 mths from day of registration to receive license

Keep going my friend =) You will get that license in the end no matter what! Just make sure we ride safely as a new rider and try not to split lane too fast (especially on wet roads)

• 8 months later...

Nice.! I haven't been going since last Nov-2017... i think. And I think I got demotivated really close to giving up. There were times where I have booked for a lesson and didn't attend ( i know wasted!!!) but I just couldn't... I'm stuck at lesson 3. It's the freaking figure 8 that I do so badly at... Just thought that I would try again before I really give up. :/

Nice.! I haven't been going since last Nov-2017... i think. And I think I got demotivated really close to giving up. There were times where I have booked for a lesson and didn't attend ( i know wasted!!!) but I just couldn't... I'm stuck at lesson 3. It's the freaking figure 8 that I do so badly at... Just thought that I would try again before I really give up. :/

Personally I took 6 times before I can pass my figure 8 lesson 3 in cdc..

indeed keep practicing and going for your lessons and eventually you will get the license.

Don't give up!

my progress

L1 - x4

L2 - x3

L3(1) - x4

L3(2) - 2

RC - 1

my progression is slow, i suggest to all new rider if you not working like me try to book the lesson close to each other so that you can maintain the feel of the bike.

for me, it is difficult as i working full time, i mostly able to go for 2 lesson at most per week but mostly i can only make it 1 time per week, not every lesson has 8.30pm slot.

i still has problem for plank and pylon, any one can share with me how to clear it with skill and confident?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine at CDC..

INTERNAL EVALUATION : 2 ATTEMPTS

RTT : 1 ATTEMPTS (16/6)

PRACTICAL 1 : 2 ATTEMPTS (20/4, 26/4)

PRACTICAL 2 : 2 ATTEMPTS (30/4, 3/5)

PRACTICAL 3 : 1 ATTEMPTS (7/5)

PRACTICAL 4 : 2 ATTEMPTS (13/5, 15/5)

PRACTICAL 5 : 1 ATTEMPTS (20/5)

PRACTICAL 6 : 3 ATTEMPTS (22/5, 25/5,31/5)

PRACTICAL 7 : 1 ATTEMPTS (2/6)

PRACTICAL 8 : 1 ATTEMPTS (10/6)

TP is on 11th July 2018..hopefully pass at 1st attempt...

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, been busy and havent gotten about updating this thread but i guess its kinda dead LOL.

Anyway I have been delaying my class 2B TP test due to personal circumstances and had a few job switches. However now that I am stable Im happy to be able to go for the upcoming Class 2B TP test this coming march 2019. =D

Dont ever give up! I have been slacking and procrastinating for almost an entire year but hey Im back again and you could too =)

We never quit, we just took breaks ;)

Personally I took 6 times before I can pass my figure 8 lesson 3 in cdc..

indeed keep practicing and going for your lessons and eventually you will get the license.

Don't give up!

Thanks Bro! Getting back into the game and hoping to score my license this March 2019 haha

Mine at CDC..

INTERNAL EVALUATION : 2 ATTEMPTS

RTT : 1 ATTEMPTS (16/6)

PRACTICAL 1 : 2 ATTEMPTS (20/4, 26/4)

PRACTICAL 2 : 2 ATTEMPTS (30/4, 3/5)

PRACTICAL 3 : 1 ATTEMPTS (7/5)

PRACTICAL 4 : 2 ATTEMPTS (13/5, 15/5)

PRACTICAL 5 : 1 ATTEMPTS (20/5)

PRACTICAL 6 : 3 ATTEMPTS (22/5, 25/5,31/5)

PRACTICAL 7 : 1 ATTEMPTS (2/6)

PRACTICAL 8 : 1 ATTEMPTS (10/6)

TP is on 11th July 2018..hopefully pass at 1st attempt...

How was it bro? Managed to pass your TP? Hope you passed :)

• 2 months later...
Congrats ~ See you on the road and be safe while riding~

Thanks bro! Just a quick question about DIY maintainence. If i change engine oil under my HDB block how do I dispose off the old engine oil.