SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Need A Guide to 2B And First Bike!

Hello Community,

I am turning 18 soon and am excited as heck to finally get my 2B after waiting so long.

Basically i wanna reach out to you more experienced bikers to guide me from Step 1 till I get my first bike.

I have a few questions i would like to ask:

1. Which driving centers do you think has the best passing rate?

2. What are the procedures and the price for a class 2b license

3. After i pass my 2B, i wanna get a bike obvsly. I have seen some ads on Carousell selling brand new bikes with installment. Low down payments. Wanted to get the R15 V3, but i have no idea how everything works, the hidden costs. I also have no idea how insurance works.

4. If i was planning to buy a 2nd hand bike, i have seen some that arent fully paid.

they write something like e.g COI 77x$238

smth like that. like is that the price of the insurance or the price i have to pay for thw bike for the remaining years.

Sorry if i sound like a dumbass but i just need this questions sorted out. I rlly just need to clarify these questions in my head.

Whoever who took the time to reply my thread, would like to thank you in advance 😊

Cheers, Ride Safe.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Layman biker,

Would recommend you to focus on getting the 2B license first, before looking at purchasing your first bike.

Reason being is that the journey to obtain the 2B license is long and arduous,you might lose interest over time or decide that biking is not your cup of tea....

My Ride History:

[KTM Duke 200] - 2017/06 - 2018/06

[Piaggio MP3 125] - 2017/12 - 2018/07

[Suzuki DRZ 400 SM] - 2018/07 - 2019/04

[Suzuki Boulevard 400] - 2018/07 - 2019/06

[Honda CB400X] - 2018/10 - 2020/10

[KTM Duke 390] - 2019/07 - 2020/09

[Aprilia Caponord 1200] - 2020/10 - 2021/10

[Vespa 300 GTS] - 2021/06 -

[Honda NC750X DCT ABS] - 2022/05 -

Hi Layman biker,

Would recommend you to focus on getting the 2B license first, before looking at purchasing your first bike.

Reason being is that the journey to obtain the 2B license is long and arduous,you might lose interest over time or decide that biking is not your cup of tea....

Hi Bikeninja,

i think it shdnt be a problem for 2B as i used to live in Batam and commute ard the city with my dads Ninja.

More worried about the price of getting a bike in Singapore. Hidden Cost est est.

1. Which driving centers do you think has the best passing rate?

BBDC has the best passing rate, followed closely by SSDC.

IMHO all the instructors know their stuff, and you'll always have instructors good and bad at teaching in every center. Go for the one that is closest to you because the reduction in commute time increases your flexibility.

2. What are the procedures and the price for a class 2b license

Take basic theory lessons

Clear basic theory test

Take riding theory lessons

Clear riding theory test

Take practical lessons

Clear TP

That's the general flow, but I believe different centers will have slightly different ways of doing it. SSDC allows you to start on your practical lessons immediately while you clear the theory concurrently (with some restrictions), but I believe not all centers allow that.

Expect to spend at least $1000 for your license. Every failed practical and TP adds to the cost, and every circuit and road revision you do adds to the cost. If you are somehow able to one-shot everything, the total cost is less than $500.

3. After i pass my 2B, i wanna get a bike obvsly. I have seen some ads on Carousell selling brand new bikes with installment. Low down payments. Wanted to get the R15 V3, but i have no idea how everything works, the hidden costs. I also have no idea how insurance works.

Three aspects in terms of cost:

- Insurance and road tax

- Parking

- Bike and COE

Insurance is on a per bike, per rider basis. When you purchase insurance, it will only be for your bike. If you ride someone else's bike, that's illegal. I've never looked into insurance for multiple bikes because I don't intend to ever get a second bike, but if I'm not mistaken, if you have multiple bikes, you will have insurance for all of them. Road tax is just the money you pay for using the roads. This is usually renewed at the same intervals (but separately in terms of payment) with the insurance.

Parking is your season parking. Without season parking, you will be paying on a per-entry basis everywhere. Normal season parking allows you to park at the carpark meant to serve your block. Concessionary season parking allows you to park for free at most HDB and URA carparks (which as you imagine grants a lot of flexibility in terms of parking options if you want to keep your parking costs as low as possible).

The cost of the bike is broken down into machine price, which is the price of the bike only, and COE. You pay the machine price once, and for a 2B bike, it is usually lower than the COE. COE is paid once every ten years. Bike shops will refer to bike + COE as the "on the road" (OTR) price. This usually does not include insurance unless stated.

Hidden costs are usually related to the maintenance of the bikes, and it's more associated with European brands where parts have to be brought in from overseas if there's anything wrong with your bike.

4. If i was planning to buy a 2nd hand bike, i have seen some that arent fully paid.

they write something like e.g COI 77x$238

smth like that. like is that the price of the insurance or the price i have to pay for thw bike for the remaining years.

Not very sure of COI myself as I paid my bike with upfront cash but here's what I know.

COI refers to carry on installment. It's essentially a loan arrangement with the bike shop where you will pay the installment over the life of the bike. As you would imagine, as with any loan arrangement, there will be an interest aspect to it. If you're looking to keep costs down in the long-run, COI is not the way to go.

There are discussions on various forums on COI, so you gotta do your own research for this part.

BBDC has the best passing rate, followed closely by SSDC.

IMHO all the instructors know their stuff, and you'll always have instructors good and bad at teaching in every center. Go for the one that is closest to you because the reduction in commute time increases your flexibility.

Take basic theory lessons

Clear basic theory test

Take riding theory lessons

Clear riding theory test

Take practical lessons

Clear TP

That's the general flow, but I believe different centers will have slightly different ways of doing it. SSDC allows you to start on your practical lessons immediately while you clear the theory concurrently (with some restrictions), but I believe not all centers allow that.

Expect to spend at least $1000 for your license. Every failed practical and TP adds to the cost, and every circuit and road revision you do adds to the cost. If you are somehow able to one-shot everything, the total cost is less than $500.

Three aspects in terms of cost:

- Insurance and road tax

- Parking

- Bike and COE

Insurance is on a per bike, per rider basis. When you purchase insurance, it will only be for your bike. If you ride someone else's bike, that's illegal. I've never looked into insurance for multiple bikes because I don't intend to ever get a second bike, but if I'm not mistaken, if you have multiple bikes, you will have insurance for all of them. Road tax is just the money you pay for using the roads. This is usually renewed at the same intervals (but separately in terms of payment) with the insurance.

Parking is your season parking. Without season parking, you will be paying on a per-entry basis everywhere. Normal season parking allows you to park at the carpark meant to serve your block. Concessionary season parking allows you to park for free at most HDB and URA carparks (which as you imagine grants a lot of flexibility in terms of parking options if you want to keep your parking costs as low as possible).

The cost of the bike is broken down into machine price, which is the price of the bike only, and COE. You pay the machine price once, and for a 2B bike, it is usually lower than the COE. COE is paid once every ten years. Bike shops will refer to bike + COE as the "on the road" (OTR) price. This usually does not include insurance unless stated.

Hidden costs are usually related to the maintenance of the bikes, and it's more associated with European brands where parts have to be brought in from overseas if there's anything wrong with your bike.

Not very sure of COI myself as I paid my bike with upfront cash but here's what I know.

COI refers to carry on installment. It's essentially a loan arrangement with the bike shop where you will pay the installment over the life of the bike. As you would imagine, as with any loan arrangement, there will be an interest aspect to it. If you're looking to keep costs down in the long-run, COI is not the way to go.

There are discussions on various forums on COI, so you gotta do your own research for this part.

Thank You so Much Triface,

This rlly helped alot! Much Appreciated

God bless

Thank You so Much Triface,

This rlly helped alot! Much Appreciated

God bless

At your age of 18 years old, getting a full fairing bike, your insurance will cost a premium more than $1000 per year.

I never heard of any driving centers has the easiest passing rate. it all boils down to your personal skills and ability

its good that you have ridden your father's motorcycle back in Batam and obtained some experiences, however please do not try it in Singapore. If you ever get caught riding a motorcycle without a valid licence and insurance, you can kiss your 2B licence good bye for a few years.

• 2 weeks later...

TBH any driving centre will do. For me i chose the nearest to my hse cause I lazy to travel. But will be different when u have your bike and going to take Class 2A cause by then got bike, what is a bit of travelling right? Hahaha

For beginner bike, if you are going to progress to class 2 eventually, u can get any bike but PLEASE DON'T get a sports bike. Reason is simple. You might sell or scrap it after a year, why pay higher premium for a sports bike, incur higher fuel consumption and repair cost for sports bike even at 2B level is higher that naked bikes etc. At 2B level you are used to riding 125cc (125cc) or 150cc (SSDC, BBDC) and never experienced higher speed. Bikes like the R15, NSR150 looks cool yes and they are fast (fast meaning within 2B level) but as a new rider who is still learning, you might not be able to handle that much power at a start, even if it is just a 2B sports bike.

Take my word, anything from your cbf150, fz16, pcx125, spark 135, etc..... is good enough for road use. That aside, 2B will be the class where u actually learn more about your bike and getting accustomed to riding on a road. It is different even if you have a class 3 license.

For a beginner 2B, would recommend the following bikes:

1. Honda Fight Hawk/Tourism (Looks real cool, surprised how big it looks)

2. KTM Duke 200 (Going cheap now, OTR

3. Honda Exmotion 150 (Cool looking Cafe Racer, cheap too)

Parts should be readily available for all 3 bikes, but KTM maybe slightly higher in maintenance(still worth it, for the bad boy braaaaaaap thrill!)

My Ride History:

[KTM Duke 200] - 2017/06 - 2018/06

[Piaggio MP3 125] - 2017/12 - 2018/07

[Suzuki DRZ 400 SM] - 2018/07 - 2019/04

[Suzuki Boulevard 400] - 2018/07 - 2019/06

[Honda CB400X] - 2018/10 - 2020/10

[KTM Duke 390] - 2019/07 - 2020/09

[Aprilia Caponord 1200] - 2020/10 - 2021/10

[Vespa 300 GTS] - 2021/06 -

[Honda NC750X DCT ABS] - 2022/05 -