SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Safety for Motorcyclist at Discretionary Right Turn

SBF

• Administrators

Saw this post being shared around, very useful information and good reminder for all motorcyclist! Compared to a car, van, lorry, or any other vehicle on the roads, us bikers are the most vulnerable so do take extra care and precaution! If you have any other safe riding tips for riders, please share them here!

Thanks to bro Kanakarajh Raman for this piece of advice:

Saw an accident wreckage at Woodlands Ave 9 and Ave 6 junction involving a motorbike and car, probably due to confusion at the discretionary right turn pocket.

Remember people :

1) When making discretionary right turn at crossroads, wait within the pocket. It's tempting sometimes to go beyond to get a good view. But when we go beyond the pocket, we enter the lane where the opposite traffic can go straight. It's dangerous!

2) If you see someone who has gone beyond the pocket and you're at the back. Please don't enter the pocket as it will cut off the person. Keep the pocket empty in case of emergency and the person needs to reverse. 

3) When making discretionary right turn at a T-junction, remember there is no pocket. Stay within your lane.

4) Lookout for pedestrian. Even when the pedestrian light is red, there will still be some trying their luck to make a dash. Especially dangerous are the cyclists. By right they are supposed to dismount, but MOST don't. At least, walkers can quickly stop and reverse but cyclists cannot reverse. Most of the times they will inadvertently dash in your way. Its not our fault and is extremely annoying. But yeah, PATIENCE! 😅

5) Discretionary right turn just means we're ALLOWED to turn. NOT MUST turn. If we can't get a good view and can't tell opposite traffic, JUST WAIT. I know there'll be impatient people behind grumbling and probably even honk at you.

PATIENCE! 😅

Ride safe everyone! 🙏🏽

• Like 2

Thanks for the info! Definitely cross my fingers and look a zillion times whenever making a discretionary right.

One question I realized I never learned the answer to is: Is it always the case that a right arrow will come after the green light? Or does it only do this if it senses there are cars waiting to turn? Sometimes if I'm the only one waiting, I worry my bike will be too small for the sensor to pick up, and then I'll be stranded in the middle of the intersection.

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, westcoastbestcoast said:

Thanks for the info! Definitely cross my fingers and look a zillion times whenever making a discretionary right.

One question I realized I never learned the answer to is: Is it always the case that a right arrow will come after the green light? Or does it only do this if it senses there are cars waiting to turn? Sometimes if I'm the only one waiting, I worry my bike will be too small for the sensor to pick up, and then I'll be stranded in the middle of the intersection.

If there is a 'right turn arrow' at the junction, yes, it will always come on when it's turn comes around.