SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

Purpose of airbox

Guest BoBOKik

washing carb is to my sp is like ard 4-5 mths once or everytime u do full servicing juz in case ur bike stall due to dirty carb.. =)

u put back the air box.. u also have to re-tune ur bike...

if not, air / fuel intake ratio is wrong resulting in loss of power & fc

u can wash ur carb hw long interval as u wan.. it's all up to u on hw u wanna keep ur carb clean.. some dont even bother to service it.. some 2-3mths.. some 3-4, some like you 4-5.. for me every mth is the best.. if not at least 2mths once..

fyi:

- bike won't stall due to dirty carb.. unless ur carb suck in some stuffs like leaves or what that choke the carb itself that air cant go in n it cant start..

- take out/put back airbox need to balance back the air fuel ratio back..

if u take out ur airbox, more air less petrol = running lean( lean = nt enuff petrol)

if ur previous setting swee swee.. then u hand itchy.. put back airbox.. now is less air more petrol = running rich(too much petrol)

normally for good pickup u can mess with the airbox.. alternatively.. use back airbox with high-flow air filter is good..

y i say for pickup.. u see those race bikes(eg kups, etc).. all running mostly w/o airbox.. cos their setting is pickup base.. not the midrange-topspeed range..

those dirty stuff all these.. icic.. kinda get it. but why so many ppl stil drill hole if its not good ?

cos it provides higher air intake, the alternative purchasing a high-flow air filter is by drilling holes.. depending on the rider requirement.. some setting(aka tuning) they need more air intake to compensate for the high fuel supply.. therefore with stock airfilter w/o holes insufficient air supply.. so they either drill holes.. or they take out filter.. or can put a high-flow air filter like k&n, bmc.. etc

for 2strokers if u running ur bike w/o air filter, best is u remove ur carb and wash it maximum 2mths intervals.. for me i do it monthly.. 2strokes bikes need more care than 4strokes...

Lousy Noob Rider

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all up to individual preferences. If you want long service life, leave everything on. If you wanna mess with it, why worry?

And there's so much misconception going on around here... Some bike you take out airbox, it wont even idle properly. Some bikes it doesnt care if it has an airbox (performance wise). Mostly due to factory carburettor settings and design/position of the components.

Meaning some bikes you remove the airbox will affect the setting tremendously while others dont.

To the filter or not part, it's either filter, hi-flow filter or no filter. First two no need to say.

As for the no filter, many races bike dont use them and can perform well but requires to be service regularly. If you scared, dont go this route. If you go this route, dont complain. I ever had a small speck of sand stuck in one of my valves and cant start. But i just bring it to be torn apart to remove it, no biggie.

Anyway it's you ride the bike not the engineers. So depends on you intent to get out of the bike lor...

Scooter Tuning Is Not A Crime.

• 2 months later...

ok guys, I think you can not generalize the purpose of an airbox ;-)

every engine will run without an airbox but does it run better? I would give it a clear NO....

you can take every modern bike it will only run properly with an airbox, on the other hand almost every bike (at least in Europe and the USA) is restricted through the airbox/intake runners and exhaust system.

Ducati was the 1st manufacturer using the advantage of an airbox and they done pretty well if I remember correct.......

so don't compare a rattling 10year old super four with a R1 or similar and I don't think most of you guys are able to feel the difference anyways (no offense just a general statement)

if you wanna do some reading why modern race bikes need an airbox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonator

cheers

mjv

• 4 months later...

gt smth to ask

my dad kup kia abit siao siao

once i slow down den stop at junction

the engine will die off even though i'm at neutral gear

izzi the airbox smth wrong or the air filter too dirty liao???

Edited by Jaxx

Window 7 + Core i7 920 + EVGA E758 + 6GB x DDR3 1600 + EVGA GTX260 896MB = :clap:

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi so I've read the thread and i still didnt manage to clear a few doubts.

1. drilling holes in an airbox increases air intake and produces an extra sound. so does it or does it not increase performance? and with this extra sound, isit permitted by lta inspection standards or not?

2. I've heard frm the street that if i there is already a hole in an airbox and you wish to close the hole, you can use a plaster to just patch it up. will this really help? or if i choose to change to a new airbox, how much would it cost?

My reason to the 2 questions is because i bought my bike and my friends told me it already had a drilled airbox. This affected my startup despite me trying to play with the 2 screws for oil/air for idling. i have a very hard time trying to start my bike hot or cold. and for performance wise, my bike wont respond to sudden throttle feed. like whenever i suddenly throttle for more power, it just doesnt accelerate and just sticks to that speed, but the engine gives a higher rev sound. my bike is yamaha x1r.

P.S: pm me if u want to give ur personal opinions. or leave it out on this thread so that other users might learn something too. (:

Hi so I've read the thread and i still didnt manage to clear a few doubts.

1. drilling holes in an airbox increases air intake and produces an extra sound. so does it or does it not increase performance? and with this extra sound, isit permitted by lta inspection standards or not?

2. I've heard frm the street that if i there is already a hole in an airbox and you wish to close the hole, you can use a plaster to just patch it up. will this really help? or if i choose to change to a new airbox, how much would it cost?

My reason to the 2 questions is because i bought my bike and my friends told me it already had a drilled airbox. This affected my startup despite me trying to play with the 2 screws for oil/air for idling. i have a very hard time trying to start my bike hot or cold. and for performance wise, my bike wont respond to sudden throttle feed. like whenever i suddenly throttle for more power, it just doesnt accelerate and just sticks to that speed, but the engine gives a higher rev sound. my bike is yamaha x1r.

P.S: pm me if u want to give ur personal opinions. or leave it out on this thread so that other users might learn something too. (:

might as well take out the rubber connecting the carb to air box , more powerful but louder noise, but i dun think it will affect LTA inspection

• admin unpinned this topic