SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

any old timers here?

james bomb

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi, any bikes here above 50 to share biking experiences in spore or malaysia?

riding honda dn-01

You are looking for bike above 50 year of age or rider above 50 years of age? Confused.

Hi James, actually there is another thread which is asking about "elderly" riders. hehehhe. i see you rider a dn-01. actually there are many riders here who are above 50 myself included. DN huh?? can i assume you just bought it from a mR Tan??

I have been riding bike since passing in 1990 with my so precious class 2b when i was 27. my friends then used to laugh at me and said that I should have taken my licence when i was 20 when it was just only 1 test and when you pass , you get the class 2 as well.

oh well. maybe it was good to go through those classes of 2b, 2a and then 2. i learnt the different power.

if you are interested about riding in malaysia or even singapore, many younger riders can even talk to you their adventures. but i have some relatives who even older than me and every year would go malaysia and even thailand

hi, any bikers here above 50 to share biking experiences in spore or malaysia?

riding honda dn-01

There are a lot of bikers here that is more than 50 years old... the differences between then and now is more traffic as compared to last time, better highways now as compared to non-existing then... I used to ride to Penang last time without the NSHW, have to put up with pot holes, heavy vehicles, animals etc.... I think it is more interesting to talk about the golden age of motorcycles during the period of about 1970s to 1980s.... the introduction of the superbikes, the advent of large touring bikes, turbo bikes from all the Japanese makers, etc....

Going somewhere isn't why I ride... riding is why I go..

Past rides: XL100, CG110, Elsinore 125, CB175, CB250N, CX500, CBX400F, GL1000, CBX-6,

V45 Magna.

Present ride: DN-01, Spyder RT LTD

There are a lot of bikers here that is more than 50 years old... the differences between then and now is more traffic as compared to last time, better highways now as compared to non-existing then... I used to ride to Penang last time without the NSHW, have to put up with pot holes, heavy vehicles, animals etc.... I think it is more interesting to talk about the golden age of motorcycles during the period of about 1970s to 1980s.... the introduction of the superbikes, the advent of large touring bikes, turbo bikes from all the Japanese makers, etc....

yes you are spot on about riding in the 70s and 80s, if i am not mistaken you are riding or used to ride dn -01 in another thread

Hi James, actually there is another thread which is asking about "elderly" riders. hehehhe. i see you rider a dn-01. actually there are many riders here who are above 50 myself included. DN huh?? can i assume you just bought it from a mR Tan??

I have been riding bike since passing in 1990 with my so precious class 2b when i was 27. my friends then used to laugh at me and said that I should have taken my licence when i was 20 when it was just only 1 test and when you pass , you get the class 2 as well.

oh well. maybe it was good to go through those classes of 2b, 2a and then 2. i learnt the different power.

if you are interested about riding in malaysia or even singapore, many younger riders can even talk to you their adventures. but i have some relatives who even older than me and every year would go malaysia and even thailand

hi biker, i bought the bike from boon siew about 1 year plus ago,

used to ride a few super 4s before that

can u imagine i ever rode a 90cc honda back in the 70s…haha

yes you are spot on about riding in the 70s and 80s, if i am not mistaken you are riding or used to ride dn -01 in another thread

I am still riding the DN-01 now, coming to 8 years, intending to renew it's COE when the time comes.... I wrote a review about the bike here when I first bought it way back then... you bought yours recently?... not many DN-01s around....

Past rides: XL100, CG110, Elsinore 125, CB175, CB250N, CX500, CBX400F, GL1000, CBX-6,

V45 Magna.

I am still riding the DN-01 now, coming to 8 years, intending to renew it's COE when the time comes.... I wrote a review about the bike here when I first bought it way back then... you bought yours recently?... not many DN-01s around....

i bot it in july 2014, actually wanted to buy another S4 to replace my old S4, went to boon siew showroom and immediately fell in love with it.

its a very fun bike to ride, main set back is the fuel tank is too small for a big bike and also it sounds like a scooter

MUST be that last one dn-01 i saw back then. white colour right?

when i bot it in 2014, there were 2 available, one grey and one white,

someone bought the white one i took the grey

its actually 2010s model, think can't sell so they lower the price

the newer 2012 model exhaust is sharper and more stylist

i bot it in july 2014, actually wanted to buy another S4 to replace my old S4, went to boon siew showroom and immediately fell in love with it.

its a very fun bike to ride, main set back is the fuel tank is too small for a big bike and also it sounds like a scooter

The total capacity of the tank may be small but out on the highway it can cover more than 200 kms before it needs to refuel, by that time, I also need to take a break anyway.... we are after all old timers... but I agree with you the exhaust sound is uninspiring...

V45 Magna.

when i bot it in 2014, there were 2 available, one grey and one white,

someone bought the white one i took the grey

its actually 2010s model, think can't sell so they lower the price

the newer 2012 model exhaust is sharper and more stylist

There is a 2012 model????.... I thought Honda already stop producing it?.... or are you referring to the NM-04?....

V45 Magna.

MUST be that last one dn-01 i saw back then. white colour right?

I may be wrong, but I think the white one is booked by my neighbor, he is getting his class 2....

V45 Magna.

I'm a late starter, having only started riding last year. I'm not above 50 yet, but close. Just a couple more years. I'm happy to meet up with like minded folks to a coffee or ride. But as I still consider myself a newbie, so don't be too harsh on me.

No problem.... everyone has a beginning, welcome to the world of two wheel powered transport... learn the do's and don'ts and you will be alright... an experience rider is not someone who has never fallen down but someone that has fallen down, get back up and get back into the game... as for meet ups and ride, it will be quite difficult for us folks... we have to attend to our family needs first... but it is still possible, maybe one of these days....

V45 Magna.

I'm a late starter, having only started riding last year. I'm not above 50 yet, but close. Just a couple more years. I'm happy to meet up with like minded folks to a coffee or ride. But as I still consider myself a newbie, so don't be too harsh on me.

It was a mid-life crisis moment for me too. Was never allowed to take up riding when I was younger - my Dad would have forbid me to get anywhere near the riding school, let alone ride a bike. But now at close to 40, I make my own decisions and have learnt to enjoy some of the finer things in life where little appreciate. I've always associated the man-motorcycle relationship like the man-horse relationship of yester-years. The sense of mobility, freedom, openness, and the feeling of mounting a (mechanical) beast simply cannot be replicated with other forms of transport.

Anyway, I just got my 2B earlier this year, bought my first bike, and enjoying every moment of it since. There's never too late. There's only regret if we never tried.

A mid-lifer who started late on the motorised 2-wheeler game. Currently riding a 200NS - with a P-plate.

Randomly rants at www.sgBikerBoy.com

you know what. after 26years of riding, i still havent found my favourite bike. hahahhahah. must be old age

I don't think there is a bike that will fit anyone perfectly and considered as a favourite for life... as we progress along, needs and priorities changed, and along with it the bikes also... I give some examples below...

CBX1000 Six... my all time favourite then, still miss it now... not your normal in-line four, wound up it sound like a jet!... its performance may be over shadowed by mere 600cc sports bikes now, but at that time it was King... even though whenever I rode it, I need to balance it with my toes when I come to a stop.... of course, maintenance is highly expensive, 24 valves using shims, 6 carburettors - synchronising nightmare.... but fun...

CBX400F... a 400 four worthy of the name above ... the first four stroke in-line 400 four able to out run the all mighty two stroke RD350 then, until the LC version came along... nice little bike, my favourite too, if not for the accident then... bike totalled.... poor bike....

V45 Magna... now, this is a bike you can keep for life... V-four engine, nice exhaust sound, shaft final drive, all day comfort saddle, looks nice also with side boxes, comes with pillion back rest... alas, have to give it up for health reasons...

DN-01... closest to the V45 Magna, but storage is non-existent, doesn't look good with side boxes... everything else is good, that's why I'm still riding it...

Spyder RT... whenever I pillion my missus on the DN-01, she's not happy when I leaned into turns and also filter between traffic... thus I bought this, sacrifice both abilities for a happy pillion... stable at high speed and during cornering, doesn't affect greatly whether you are carrying pillion or not... aside from the initial high cost, some nagging issues... greater storage than a GW, very safe... if I am much younger, I wouldn't have bought this... but then I couldn't afford one anyway....

So you see, as time goes by, your biking needs will change... unless you are rich enough to keep all the bikes you ever rode and loved...

Sorry for the long post, for those of you who are not interested, I apologise...

V45 Magna.

It was a mid-life crisis moment for me too. Was never allowed to take up riding when I was younger - my Dad would have forbid me to get anywhere near the riding school, let alone ride a bike. But now at close to 40, I make my own decisions and have learnt to enjoy some of the finer things in life where little appreciate. I've always associated the man-motorcycle relationship like the man-horse relationship of yester-years. The sense of mobility, freedom, openness, and the feeling of mounting a (mechanical) beast simply cannot be replicated with other forms of transport.

Anyway, I just got my 2B earlier this year, bought my first bike, and enjoying every moment of it since. There's never too late. There's only regret if we never tried.

Well said... I started riding when I have reached the legal age, my dad supported me but not my mum... she will scold and nag whenever I got into any accident, however minor... until I told her I gave up riding and bought a car but actually still riding without her knowing... now, she knows I am riding, but too old to bother anymore...

V45 Magna.

wa all the near 50 wan ..

the motor xiao era ...

Don't worry, you will get there soon enough... for me its already way over it...

V45 Magna.

I may be wrong, but I think the white one is booked by my neighbor, he is getting his class 2....

going somewhere isn't why i ride, riding is why i go…….haha perfect!!!

good to know a few old timers here really, hello everyone

i think the last made was the 2012 model, the exhaust is nicer

boon siew made me sign a document that i acknowledge what i buy is a 2010 made,

i had a freak accident which you guys won't believe 6 mths back

my shoulder was clean broken and the bone was almost jutting out from the flesh, concussed too,

about 1am i was riding along the old forest area old upper thomson road, enjoying the peace

out of nowhere a wild boar charged out of the bushes and hit me on the side, i reckon i was travelling about 60kph

the impact sent me and the bike flying and next thing i knew i woke up in the hospital 3 hours later,

its was a long process in and out of the hospital, i had an operation to put a 3 inch metal plate and screw to align back the bone,

the broken bone was not too painful itself, but when they put the metal plate in was the most painful experience in my life, and i was under full GA

3 mths later i had another operation to take out the metal plate, gosh

it was a painful experience and haha, my wife said if i ever ride again, she will divorce me…

i am now riding again….haha:

these ppl never understand why we ride but i don't blame them, it can be quite dangerous especially during peak hours

so guys, be careful when riding this road

recently another wild boar charged out from the bushes at SLE and know down a biker, last week i think, it was in the news

OMG , james. I hope you didnt get a divorce. coming from a medical professional --- OUCHHHHHH. and how is the bike?? were you on the DN? i guess your wife loves you more than the boar or DN. she couldnt see you suffer

PS, I hope the boar died. if it did, somebody should have barbecue it and ate it

going somewhere isn't why i ride, riding is why i go…….haha perfect!!!

good to know a few old timers here really, hello everyone

i think the last made was the 2012 model, the exhaust is nicer

boon siew made me sign a document that i acknowledge what i buy is a 2010 made,

i had a freak accident which you guys won't believe 6 mths back

my shoulder was clean broken and the bone was almost jutting out from the flesh, concussed too,

about 1am i was riding along the old forest area old upper thomson road, enjoying the peace

out of nowhere a wild boar charged out of the bushes and hit me on the side, i reckon i was travelling about 60kph

the impact sent me and the bike flying and next thing i knew i woke up in the hospital 3 hours later,

its was a long process in and out of the hospital, i had an operation to put a 3 inch metal plate and screw to align back the bone,

the broken bone was not too painful itself, but when they put the metal plate in was the most painful experience in my life, and i was under full GA

3 mths later i had another operation to take out the metal plate, gosh

it was a painful experience and haha, my wife said if i ever ride again, she will divorce me…

i am now riding again….haha:

these ppl never understand why we ride but i don't blame them, it can be quite dangerous especially during peak hours

so guys, be careful when riding this road

recently another wild boar charged out from the bushes at SLE and know down a biker, last week i think, it was in the news

Glad that you are alright now, it must have been terrible experience...

Yes, the old upper Thomson road is a nice riding road, it used to be the race track of Singapore GP F1 back in the 1960s... and I believe your avatar shows the road leading to the reservoir... riding that road at night must be very careful, you also have monkeys, not only wild boars crossing at will...

I have my fair share of spills during my younger riding days, but nothing as serious as yours... do take extra care...

I have my share of people asking me why I buy a Spyder, especially when they found out about the price, might as well buy a car they always said... even from motorcyclist themselves... just let them be... to each his or her own...

V45 Magna.