SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

[DIY] The Clinic

mepkoh

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thank you to all who came...u make this a success....

ya....the kopi o chit chat was nice..

yah my clutch cable was very sticky...can only move the cable via the clutch lever..time to change it..will meet agian next month....

anyway just call if u need my assistance..(if i can help)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

Thank you Mr. Koh for your hospitality at your place, it's a good meeting place for all the knight, and to enjoy various sport activity. Thank you for your kindness and very much appreciated. When is the next meet up ?

the next meetup will b in august 16 sat.(as the second sat of the month in aug is on he 9..our national day , so postpone to the next sat).

of course u r welcome to visit me any time...

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time:dot:

• 3 weeks later...
the next meetup will b in august 16 sat.(as the second sat of the month in aug is on he 9..our national day , so postpone to the next sat).

of course u r welcome to visit me any time...

i was thinking what should we wil lbe doing the next meet??

how about DIY 5(or more)point ground..any one who has a pet diy lets hear from u..any ideas?..for the 5point ground anyoneknows how to do it?need your inputs...thank you guys/gals

:bounce:

i was thinking what should we wil lbe doing the next meet??

how about DIY 5(or more)point ground..any one who has a pet diy lets hear from u..any ideas?..for the 5point ground anyoneknows how to do it?need your inputs...thank you guys/gals

:bounce:

Ah Pui was kind enough to share about DIY grounding installation in one of the old threads. It had pictures and detailed instructions.

Ah here.. :D http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115430

Ah Pui was kind enough to share about DIY grounding installation in one of the old threads. It had pictures and detailed instructions.

Ah here.. :D http://www.singaporebikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115430

thank you for the tip...

the purpose of the grounding???

when our bike ages...rust sets in etc etc..all sorts of unwanted stuff starts to grow, fasterners rust, as well as loosen bolts and nuts,

ie..rust.grime and dirt etc..all these stuff will eventually cause the electrical circuit resistance to increase..the end result is that more power is required to run the the electrical system...

what this means you run down the battery fast and or your alternator etc needs to run overtime to cover the extra load...end results is just one inefficient electrical system on your bike..ie you will notice it as the system degrades in high FC..etc etc...ya all those stuff that a old bike have..

so to minimise/reduce the degrardation..recommends grounding..thsi at least remove a major source of the problem..

well i have seen a 5 point grounding offered by ComFort Delgro...$200+++(for cars)

basically it has a round disc where all the grounding wires terminates..

as to the other end...recommends to ground them to major elec sub system..in our bike this would be..alternator, rectifier, head/tail lights, hornsetc...

as i have minimal knowlegde where to connect so need help as to the actaul terminations..be.

Grounding wire..i suppose those u see on the water heater will do just nice (maybe overkill)..any fancy type will cost more..

if anyone is interested...we can buy a roll of earth wire and the necessay lugs ..

well pm/or post here if u r keen to participate in this diy..i am sure it wont cost much..

thank you for the tip...

the purpose of the grounding???

when our bike ages...rust sets in etc etc..all sorts of unwanted stuff starts to grow, fasterners rust, as well as loosen bolts and nuts,

ie..rust.grime and dirt etc..all these stuff will eventually cause the electrical circuit resistance to increase..the end result is that more power is required to run the the electrical system...

what this means you run down the battery fast and or your alternator etc needs to run overtime to cover the extra load...end results is just one inefficient electrical system on your bike..ie you will notice it as the system degrades in high FC..etc etc...ya all those stuff that a old bike have..

so to minimise/reduce the degrardation..recommends grounding..thsi at least remove a major source of the problem..

well i have seen a 5 point grounding offered by ComFort Delgro...$200+++(for cars)

basically it has a round disc where all the grounding wires terminates..

as to the other end...recommends to ground them to major elec sub system..in our bike this would be..alternator, rectifier, head/tail lights, hornsetc...

as i have minimal knowlegde where to connect so need help as to the actaul terminations..be.

Grounding wire..i suppose those u see on the water heater will do just nice (maybe overkill)..any fancy type will cost more..

if anyone is interested...we can buy a roll of earth wire and the necessay lugs ..

well pm/or post here if u r keen to participate in this diy..i am sure it wont cost much..and we can sleep better..hahaha knowing grounding is not an issue..when problem strikes..

• 2 weeks later...

last saturday...meet was a wash out..maybe it was the rain ..

for those who came ...a thousand apologies..that it was a wash out..

to prevent another wash out ..it is best to pm or sms or post here your intentions..

went to the hardware store to enquire on the ground cable..for 9awg they are asking for $2/m...a small bottle 200ml of rust converter $12. these are xxx prices..planning to go to carrefoul in JB rust converters RM$10..only

i would look out for jumper cables whic sells from $6 to $15..for a pair of 3m cables..if anyone going to mustaffa or any low price shop please look out for this item and post here the price..yhanks.

last saturday...meet was a wash out..maybe it was the rain ..

for those who came ...a thousand apologies..that it was a wash out..

to prevent another wash out ..it is best to pm or sms or post here your intentions..

went to the hardware store to enquire on the ground cable..for 9awg they are asking for $2/m...a small bottle 200ml of rust converter $12. these are xxx prices..planning to go to carrefoul in JB rust converters RM$10..only

i would look out for jumper cables whic sells from $6 to $15..for a pair of 3m cables..if anyone going to mustaffa or any low price shop please look out for this item and post here the price..thanks.

a friend has kindly gave me a bottle...has applied to the exhaust.

ya..the rusted areas turn black ..

the other non rusted area...look like being painted with clear paint..

dont knowhow longthis coating stays onthe exhaust..though

can the blackened area be removed?

the blackened area indicates that a chemical reaction has taken place and that area the rust has been "converted" so to speak to one which will not rust in the near future...I think u have to live with it..once removed the area will start to rust again..

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I last wash my bike, like to arrange with you to go to your place for bike wash, any one else have the need just join in. Thank you Mr. Koh for you kindness.

Ausa and all ...please come and we can wash and polish bike and chit chat at the same time..

found this gem...

Attempting to start your bike with a low or failing battery is a really bad idea because there is a real risk of the starter solenoid contacts welding closed due to low voltage arcing. If this happens you will have to disconnect the battery (because the permanently closed solenoid contacts will crank your battery dry) and either replace or repair the starter solenoid.

a friend has kindly gave me a bottle...has applied to the exhaust.

ya..the rusted areas turn black ..

the other non rusted area...look like being painted with clear paint..

dont knowhow longthis coating stays onthe exhaust..though

the rust converter has done its job...but those coating ie non converted area on the exhaust it self is gone..(burnt off without a trace)..

but i applied some on the exhaust pipe that has scratched and rusted area of the plated area..(for insulation areas) is still around)..but the coating is light brownish in color..and as expected the rusted area turns a dark brown/black sort of colour.

Hmmm.... interesting, where to buy this rust converter?

at the hardware/diy store...100 ml =$12..

i used it on my spokes on the wheel...actually painted the spokes one by one..the result is a brownish black spokes..haha dont have to change the spokes and save some dough..

in fact the brownish/black spokes now have a good "shiny glaze" effect on :cheeky: it