SingaporeBikes.com Telegram Now LIVE! Join NOW for the Last Reviews, News, Promotions & Offers in Singapore! ×
  • Join SingaporeBikes.com today! Where Singapore Bikers Unite!

Thank you for visiting SingaporeBikes.com - the largest website in Singapore dedicated to all things related to motorcycles and biking in general.

Join us today as a member to enjoy all the features of the website for FREE such as:

Registering is free and takes less than 30 seconds! Join us today to share information, discuss about your modifications, and ask questions about your bike in general.

Thank you for being a part of SingaporeBikes.com!

SBF SYM Cafe 2009 / 2010

lobagola

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there options to upgrade the rear shocks and front brake disc?

The OEM rear shocks ain't too cushy and plush. They are quite harsh i find.

Any recommendations on brand and price?

Larger diameter front brake disc would be good to have too.

any recemmendations on brand and price too?

thanks

In Taiwan there are a lot of upgrade parts, rear suspension is too soft for Singapore condition, show quite a few GTS fitted with oil damping shocks, so it should be available here except dunno what brand and where to get.

Are there options to upgrade the rear shocks and front brake disc?

The OEM rear shocks ain't too cushy and plush. They are quite harsh i find.

Any recommendations on brand and price?

Larger diameter front brake disc would be good to have too.

any recemmendations on brand and price too?

thanks

Hi bros, saw this on a GTS 200. any idea whats this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]237271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]237272[/ATTACH]

It has something to do with the airflow or air intake that circulate cool air to the engine and cools down the EO. A friend has this on his yamaha 150. Believe its from Yoshi.

ARCHIVED: TX500/CB550F/CB750K4/CB750F2/ZR750/CB750F/GSR600/ZG1000/ST1100/GPZ400/

CB1/Silverwing/GL1500SE/GL1500SEW/GL1800A1/GL1800A2/GL1800A4/FJR1300ABS/TMax

ACTIVE: GL1800A12 & SYM200

Assumption is the mother of all fu@kup

Saw this lately on many scooter, but really wondering what its for? o_O

if i can remember clearly... Some use it as enginer breather, some use it as Air intake. I do once saw a old GTS with this device acting as air box. It can commonly found in G-max scooter & Runner. It cost around ~$100 -$150.

Regardless of race,religion and gender.

We sworn to our duty and honour.

We carry out our duty as a team and not indivdual.

We protect the Honour and interest of the TEAM.

Because,

We are all BIKERS

hi bros..

can advise whats the RPM usually for you guys to travel at 90km/h??

On my GTS it's 7k rpm !!!

ARCHIVED: TX500/CB550F/CB750K4/CB750F2/ZR750/CB750F/GSR600/ZG1000/ST1100/GPZ400/

It is around 7k on Evo too, if the RPM is too high, meaning the belt is slipping and should change. Another unlikely cause will be oil enter to the variator or clutch, but very unlikely, if happened, meaning something is wrong.

hi bros..

can advise whats the RPM usually for you guys to travel at 90km/h??

Hi bros,

thanks for the reply.

i just got my GTS 200. feels like riding a spaceship.

used to ride S4 and phantom...LOL hell lot of difference..but i'm enjoying it..

need some advise on moving off...

do you guys only start to throttle when moving off or throttle a bit and once green light then move off?

Thanks bro for sharing, good stuff for all Sym owners.

In fact, after studying through the Sym cooling system, the overheating problem can mainly be 2 possibilities:

1. failed radiator - either clog, leak or cap failed, this usually happened around 2 years as I suspect the coolant used by Sym is expiring around this service length, the radiator can be internally rusty or choked with calcium built up, some anti-rust treatment and high pressure flushing may rescue the radiator, if failed, need to replace.

2. failed water pump or thermostat - when overheat prolonged, the next likely to fail item will be water pump, it may jammed or deform due to the heat although coolant can still pass through but very limited, the same goes with the thermostat failure, but it is not so easy to fail in the first place. If either one failed, need to replace.

The weakness of Sym cooling system is the distance between the radiator and the engine (or say the water pump), the long hose can be a weak link (leak) and clog. But the most serious issue is the temp sensor sensing the engine temp is picking up higher temp as it is on the engine block but the thermo-switch to on the fan is mounted on the radiator, by the time the coolant reaches the thermo-switch area, the temp is much lower and fail to on the fan for better cooling to take place.

So two things to watch out:

1. good to flush radiator more often, maybe every 6 months with high pressure or at least flushing agent, including the hoses and water pump, when refilling the coolant, MUST force out all air pockets, as the air pockets will cause heat to built up within the system.

2. get the right coolant, since Sym system is less robust the choice of coolant will be one important consideration. Always check the reserve tank level also, try to top up with the same coolant instead of water or mix coolant.

With some good care taken, our machine will be our good companion for longer time.

Where will be a recommended workshop to do all this flushing of coolant?

Hi bros,

thanks for the reply.

do you guys only start to throttle when moving off or throttle a bit and once green light then move off?

I'll take it slow and gradually increase speed when the scoot goes into higher gear.

Haha, welcome to the Smile Your Mouth Club.

Best not to throttle when the bike is not intended to move, you're putting pressure on the belt and waste petrol.

Hi bros,

thanks for the reply.

I flush it myself, just open the hose at the bottom and use tap water to flush it for as long as you wish till the water is clear. High pressure hose will be the best, washing point hose also can but only last for 30 seconds each time.

Where will be a recommended workshop to do all this flushing of coolant?

Hai, finally sold my aftermarket rear shocks to a close friend riding a Sym Evo 200i, chhers bro to your "2 mths almost new" shocks. I saw his stock oem right side is a goner, leaks oil, and taking high speed conering almost buang to self skid. Ride safe my frenIMG_1795.jpg

I'll take it slow and gradually increase speed when the scoot goes into higher gear.

oh great ok...cos i'm like kinda slow in the pick up...wondering how some GTS or maxi scooter rider just zoom off when turn green...

i'm like only slowly throttling to rpm 5 den slowly move off...if i pick up at rpm 6 i'm at about decent pick up with the car behind me...

oh great ok...cos i'm like kinda slow in the pick up...wondering how some GTS or maxi scooter rider just zoom off when turn green...

i'm like only slowly throttling to rpm 5 den slowly move off...if i pick up at rpm 6 i'm at about decent pick up with the car behind me...

The initial pickup is around 4k RPM, which is high for the default roller set, if you want quick pickup can change to sport roller/slider which pickup can be as low as 2.5~3k RPM but personally I don't like that as too sensitive, one small turn the sheep is jumping off the line, can be dangerous sometime.

CVT (continuous variable transmission) work with heavy initial load, once the belt pull the final drive (rear wheel gear) and move, the belt will slip to balance the load and transmit the drive power, it is smooth and fast in changing front/rear ratio, so-called automatic. So once it move, it can accelerates very fast till the ratio reaches it limit, which is around 8k RPM and even you go further, the engine will not be able to transmit more power to the rear, the belt start to slip and generates a lot of heat in the 'gearbox'.

So RPM between 5.5k to 7.5k is the best and most powerful range, also more economical (lowest FC) for the engine, higher or lower FC goes up and power is not optimal. At 7.5k RPM, speed can hit 120+km/h when the belt is in optimal ratio.

One caution, don't hold your rear brake when move off, it is creating a lot of stress to the brake and belt, it shorten both life span.

* Duplicate *

The initial pickup is around 4k RPM, which is high for the default roller set, if you want quick pickup can change to sport roller/slider which pickup can be as low as 2.5~3k RPM but personally I don't like that as too sensitive, one small turn the sheep is jumping off the line, can be dangerous sometime.

CVT (continuous variable transmission) work with heavy initial load, once the belt pull the final drive (rear wheel gear) and move, the belt will slip to balance the load and transmit the drive power, it is smooth and fast in changing front/rear ratio, so-called automatic. So once it move, it can accelerates very fast till the ratio reaches it limit, which is around 8k RPM and even you go further, the engine will not be able to transmit more power to the rear, the belt start to slip and generates a lot of heat in the 'gearbox'.

So RPM between 5.5k to 7.5k is the best and most powerful range, also more economical (lowest FC) for the engine, higher or lower FC goes up and power is not optimal. At 7.5k RPM, speed can hit 120+km/h when the belt is in optimal ratio.

One caution, don't hold your rear brake when move off, it is creating a lot of stress to the brake and belt, it shorten both life span.

woo thanks a lot Bro....